Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Weakened Offender
5 hours ago, felix said:

Yeah, that's the ones.

They said quarantining healthy people was wrong. They didn't iirc, say Covid wasn't serious , although they did compare it to flu in terms of fatalities, which was misleading - however their main message was lockdown was wrong for the broad section of society, who aren't vulnerable. A bit like Sweden's approach.

Indeed, one of the US medical societies quickly came out and dismissed what they said, highlighting their financial interest in some Californian clinics. The implication being,  they're pushing a sickness agenda !? which would surely conrovene the Hypocratic & Osteopathic oaths.

More honest  to say, they called a press conference, with their practice name emblazoned on their tunics, so people would visit for a test. Advertising and encouraging testing doesn't make their message invalid.

It also didn't help that at the end of the interview one of them went in to proper loony mode and had a right old rant about guns, if I remember right. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weakened Offender
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There are still loads of people scared which is their choice.

My daughter is having her 14th birthday party next week and wants to go to the escape rooms.

My wife told her to keep the invites to her school bubble and not to mix with her dance school and also ask the kids to run it past their parents.

2 out of the 6 kids weren't allowed because of covid, but one of them went to the BLM protest encouraged by her mum 

Was the BLM protest in a small indoor space? 

Edited by Weakened Offender

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Was the BLM protest in a small indoor space? 

No, but it's pretty hypocritical to attend then preach about social distancing and how dangerous the virus is 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

No, but it's pretty hypocritical to attend then preach about social distancing and how dangerous the virus is 

There's a lot of confusion about the kids' groupings, tbf. 

Dinnae invite her next year though. 👍

AlphonseCapone
11 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

I think the tweeter isn't understanding the research. It's not saying only 19% of people will get C-19. It is saying that in that study, 81% of people that haven't had C19, had T cells that cross reacted with it, in other words, immune cells that react to similar viruses. It also says that those with C19 have a wider immune response. Crucially, it states more research is required to understand what impact this cross reaction has on immunity and if it explains many people having milder symptoms, because they already have some immune response. 

It's certainly interesting research but doesn't conclusively show anything and absolutely doesn't show what the guy in that tweet thinks it does. 

Screenshot_20200822_223755.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Perth is the problem. 

Make your mind mind up  . It was apparently Aberdeen a few weeks ago and nowt came from that ! 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Apart from growing up to be a paranoid wreck like the rest of their generation, there was probably no harm done

Yep 👍

35 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Make your mind mind up  . It was apparently Aberdeen a few weeks ago and nowt came from that ! 

That's because nobody died or even ended up in hospital in Aberdeen, next week when the same happens in Perth the circus will move onto Stirling, Hawick, Dunfermline or wherever the next outbreak of mildly ill "victims" are centred.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's because nobody died or even ended up in hospital in Aberdeen, next week when the same happens in Perth the circus will move onto Stirling, Hawick, Dunfermline or wherever the next outbreak of mildly ill "victims" are centred.

Yep !

7 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Apart from growing up to be a paranoid wreck like the rest of their generation, there was probably no harm done

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep 👍

6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The mother just needs to do a bit more research and thinking for herself rather than believing all the hype and scaremongering. 

Who's scaremongering, exactly? These two above. 

Most weans are quite relaxed and basically don't really worry about it. 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

My mind up? Aberdeen has been looked down to stop it spreading. As it was mostly young ones, hopefully no old feckers will die. And now a company in Perth has been closed with nearly 200 and counting employees isolated. Which will hopefully stop any spreading and or further deaths. 

What is it you're inferring btw, that covid doesn't exist or hasn't killed anyone. If there was no lockdown, there'd have been at least double dead and you'd still be bleaching your peaches. 

Do you just want the government to let it spread? You do realise this thing will come calling to someone you care about, if it does. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Internet
13 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I was in town today for a meal.  Nice to see lots of tourists and Edinburgh folk out and having a good time. Only marred by an incident in a shop.  A woman was behind me with her child. The child was about 6 and her mother irately said to her " I told you not to stand too close to people"...Sad times. What are we doing to the long term impact of children :( 

Didn't happen. 

The Internet
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Might be some truth in that. My generation were brought up being taught to be terrified of strangers which is why we're all social-anxiety-ridden people who don't trust anyone or anything. But that comes in handy now that everything that gets spouted by everyone is a lie and only older folk believe it. 

Walter Bishop

It's a link to an article in the mirror, but it's an interview with a doctor from a hospital in one if the UKs worst hit areas....

9 hours ago, graygo said:

Some of the ‘experts’ on here tell us that it isn’t about the deaths anymore.  We now have to be terrified about the permenant damage the virus is doing to people that get it. 

They can’t get all worked up about the deaths anymore so they need to move their panic to the next thing. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Some of the ‘experts’ on here tell us that it isn’t about the deaths anymore.  We now have to be terrified about the permenant damage the virus is doing to people that get it. 

They can’t get all worked up about the deaths anymore so they need to move their panic to the next thing. 

:spoton:

Howdy Doody Jambo

What aboot all these discarded face masks that are now littering the streets and rural spaces around the world now, all over Edinburgh flying around in the wind just like an auld poly bag 

It's now a disaster for the global environment 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Ma Roon said:

What aboot all these discarded face masks that are now littering the streets and rural spaces around the world now, all over Edinburgh flying around in the wind just like an auld poly bag 

Good point.

Francis Albert
16 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

This guy kenned his onions in May. 

He/ you did. Only thing I'd question (as an over 65) is compulsory shielding

There was a case for it in May when there was still some threat of hospitals being swamped but locking down all old people and all people with underlying conditions today would not be justified. As far as I can see the so called  "outbreaks" today are not caused by the elderly or vulnerable. Despite being "vulnerable" by your definition I have never been worried personally about Covid19. Catching it or dying from it. As things stand at present I should be free to.take my chances or lock myself up if I choose to.

Living (unlike Covid19) has a 100% mortality rate and now that palliative treatment has been sorted so most deaths are relatively painless I can think.of many worse ways of going.

Edited by Francis Albert

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Who's scaremongering, exactly? These two above. 

Most weans are quite relaxed and basically don't really worry about it. 

The bairns are certainly more chilled about it than they three zoomers. 😁

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Weakened Offender said:

:lol:

Nucky Thompson
25 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm more chilled about it than a lot of other people. In fact I saw a live band yesterday for the 1st time since March and everyone seemed chilled and were enjoying themselves.

It almost felt like things were back to normal although Sturgeon keeps drumming it into us that things shouldn't feel like that

Weakened Offender
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm more chilled about it than a lot of other people. In fact I saw a live band yesterday for the 1st time since March and everyone seemed chilled and were enjoying themselves.

It almost felt like things were back to normal although Sturgeon keeps drumming it into us that things shouldn't feel like that

It's the wee add ons in your posts that say the most. 

Good to hear that live music is back again. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Shanks said:

👍👍👍

2 hours ago, Shanks said:

It's the crazed way some folks think that life pre- Covid was, somehow, risk free. Where did this obsession with eliminating all risk come from??  Plenty illnesses that are more serious than Covid, especially in it's present form.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Why do professor's opinions relating to Covid-19 contradict each other?

They are like a bunch of politicians never giving a straight agreeable answer 

Some want a second wave, some say there will not be one, some say several waves

Who, what when do you believe? 

It's effin bullshit and now all about the covid phobia and picking up the facemasks that are littering the landscape 

31 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's the crazed way some folks think that life pre- Covid was, somehow, risk free. Where did this obsession with eliminating all risk come from??  Plenty illnesses that are more serious than Covid, especially in it's present form.

Exactly.  There is risk and uncertainty with a lot of things in life. 

The Internet

Great to see fans in at the Monaco game just now. Reduced capacity but it still adds so much. Still think there will be fans in stadiums here in some capacity by the time hearts next play a competitive fixture. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

The Internet
2 minutes ago, jake said:

The more I read about masks the more I wonder at how easily controlled we all are.

Because the science regarding it is utter pish.

Dunno. It does make sense to me that anyone with the virus will have less chance of spreading it wearing a mask but I'm not a scientist and might be wrong. Doesn't bother me wearing a mask in shops really, anything that messes with facial recognition advancements is fine by me. 

Back to 2005
4 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

You would think if it was such a deadly pandemic there would be an outlet to dispose of these potentially hazardous masks. I counted 7 in the tunnel between Edinburgh Gateway and the Gyle shipping centre. People are hypocrites.

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, Ma Roon said:

Why do professor's opinions relating to Covid-19 contradict each other?

They are like a bunch of politicians never giving a straight agreeable answer 

Some want a second wave, some say there will not be one, some say several waves

Who, what when do you believe? 

It's effin bullshit and now all about the covid phobia and picking up the facemasks that are littering the landscape 

I think at the beginning of all this we believed these guys. Scientists so they most know what they are talking about. Turns out they were  guessing Luke the test of us.

Back to 2005
6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

An outlet like a bin? 

Cant be that dangerous if you would be it in an ordinary bin? Some sort of bio hazard bin.

Back to 2005
46 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Great to see fans in at the Monaco game just now. Reduced capacity but it still adds so much. Still think there will be fans in stadiums here in some capacity by the time hearts next play a competitive fixture. 

Let's hope so but sturgeon wants to string this along for as long as possible despite the growing evidence that there is no legitimate reason to.

The Internet
2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Cant be that dangerous if you would be it in an ordinary bin? Some sort of bio hazard bin.

Why? :lol: once in a bin it is no longer a danger, even in the unlikely event of it being worn by an infected person.

56 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Dunno. It does make sense to me that anyone with the virus will have less chance of spreading it wearing a mask but I'm not a scientist and might be wrong. Doesn't bother me wearing a mask in shops really, anything that messes with facial recognition advancements is fine by me. 

That's true but only a tiny fraction of the population have the virus yet everyone has to wear one.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

:rofl: aye, could have those biohazard tissue bins set up that they do for folk to dispose safely of their cold and flu ridden tissues. You know the ones, the council sends guys in hazmats suits round to empty them every few weeks.

Any update on the Aberdeen lockdown review today?

Latest figures.

Scottish numbers: 23 August 2020

• 83 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.9% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).
  • 2 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 245 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 18,794 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, jake said:

The more I read about masks the more I wonder at how easily controlled we all are.

Because the science regarding it is utter pish.

I saw a study the other week claiming wearing a mask reduces the volume of droplets spread from 10,000 to 1,000. What you been reading to make you think it's pish Jake, care to share? 

AlphonseCapone
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Any update on the Aberdeen lockdown review today?

Latest figures.

Scottish numbers: 23 August 2020

• 83 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.9% of newly tested individuals.
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).
  • 2 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 245 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 18,794 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

I pay more attention to the percentage positive rather than the number these days, reduces the noise from varying number of tests. Been fairly consistent and well below the 5% that WHO state as their benchmark for having it under control. 

JudyJudyJudy
47 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I pay more attention to the percentage positive rather than the number these days, reduces the noise from varying number of tests. Been fairly consistent and well below the 5% that WHO state as their benchmark for having it under control. 

Well it’s well under that 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, graygo said:

That's true but only a tiny fraction of the population have the virus yet everyone has to wear one.

Please tell me that you're 10?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic