Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Interesting article in the Guardian today suggesting that depression amongst UK adults has doubled since Lockdown. 

As more evidence starts appearing as to the consequences of Lockdown, it will be interesting to see where Johnson and Sturgeon draw the line and realise the health implications of Lockdown are actually more serious than CV itself. 

Said this back in March when this all kicked off and stand by it. More people will likely die from mental health/financial problems caused by the restrictions due to covid. I have been off work since March, have spoken to my manager about 3 times in that period, 2 of which I have phoned him myself. The company (like most these days) bang on about caring for staff and mental health but, in reality, its a tick box exercise and they couldn't give a flying ****. Im starting to struggle now. Never been off work this long and I've been working nearly 25 years. Kids are back at school, wife works from home so I feel like I have no purpose right now. I'm a fairly strong minded person but I definitely wouldve benefited from the odd phonecall every 3 or 4 weeks so I at least felt like I was still part of the company. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Said this back in March when this all kicked off and stand by it. More people will likely die from mental health/financial problems caused by the restrictions due to covid. I have been off work since March, have spoken to my manager about 3 times in that period, 2 of which I have phoned him myself. The company (like most these days) bang on about caring for staff and mental health but, in reality, its a tick box exercise and they couldn't give a flying ****. Im starting to struggle now. Never been off work this long and I've been working nearly 25 years. Kids are back at school, wife works from home so I feel like I have no purpose right now. I'm a fairly strong minded person but I definitely wouldve benefited from the odd phonecall every 3 or 4 weeks so I at least felt like I was still part of the company. 

That sounds shite from the company mate. One of my mates has been on furlough for several months (he is back at work now on a part time basis). However, throughout the time on furlough they still had a weekly Zoom call on a Monday morning with everyone just to provide any updates, as well as check in with people. 

Out of interest what do you work as?

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Quite, we have surrendered our freedom with barely a whimper .

just wait until mandatory vaccination 

Yep and I’m betting we won’t be entering phase 4 on Thursday either . 

45 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Quite, we have surrendered our freedom with barely a whimper .

just wait until mandatory vaccination 

Will you administer it doc?

Captain Canada

The mental health impact of lockdown will be felt for many years to come and there seems no real plan in place to cope with what's going to be a huge increase in demand for services.

Having tried to access help in the past myself, the provision was already pitiful and I had to dig myself out of a very bad place on a few occasions with no help whatsoever. 

Even government reports are acknowledging how bad the scale of the problem is. 

The number of redundancies that will come at the end of the furlough scheme is going to be horrible to see too. 

If the promised public enquiries in Scotland and England are run properly, there's going to be a lot of political and scientific careers in tatters. 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Ive not been on this thread for weeks. 
WTF??!

:cornette:

Thats plenty!

I’m off!!!

Same. Went a bit mental. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Ive not been on this thread for weeks. 
WTF??!

:cornette:

Thats plenty!

I’m off!!!

The experts on here are still full of pish.

Francis Albert
12 hours ago, jonesy said:

This has been my argument all along. There are folk happy with government power grabs and begging for more restrictions. Some really weird masochist tendencies among them.

“Lock me down, Madam Sturgeon/Mr Boris, ooh yeah...”. 

It isn't a new phenomenon and long predates social media.

Now before the predictable outrage let me say up front I am not comparing current governments with dictatorship but there is something in some of the responses to this that is comparable.

In Stalin's Russia, Mao's China, Hitler's Germany, and even many of the more tinpot (yet still murderous) regimes all over the world,  large sections of society were enthusiastic about restrictions and an iron fist imposing discipline, about weeding out and reporting dissidents, collaboration with the state and in occupied countries with the occupying forces, and calling for even more draconian restrictions on freedom than the despots imposed.

A handful of new cases and we see some people quickly and seemingly eagerly predicting new lockdowns "by the end of the week". Despite evidence world wide that schools have not been a significant factor in spreading the virus we have calls for schools to remain locked down indefinitely despite the huge life time damage it has done to children, especially poor and disadvantaged children. If anything this phenomenon seems to have grown since the number of cases and deaths dwindled to a tiny fraction of the peak, and to to levels where Covid 19 is one of the least lethal diseases in circulation and the cause of a tiny fraction of deaths.

doctor jambo
8 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

The mental health impact of lockdown will be felt for many years to come and there seems no real plan in place to cope with what's going to be a huge increase in demand for services.

Having tried to access help in the past myself, the provision was already pitiful and I had to dig myself out of a very bad place on a few occasions with no help whatsoever. 

Even government reports are acknowledging how bad the scale of the problem is. 

The number of redundancies that will come at the end of the furlough scheme is going to be horrible to see too. 

If the promised public enquiries in Scotland and England are run properly, there's going to be a lot of political and scientific careers in tatters. 

The politicians will look after themselves.

they would not be making the decisions they have if it was their own incomes They were shutting down and jobs destroying.

Launching bombs from a bunker

The Internet
40 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The experts on here are still full of pish.

I check this thread every 3 or 4 weeks and it's the same chat from the same posters every time :lol:

'lockdown will have a bigger health impact than the virus itself' 

'wur giving up our freedoms too easily' 

'sturgeon bad' 

'Sweden wur right' 

'everyone seems to want bad things to happen' 

Blah blah blah. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I check this thread every 3 or 4 weeks and it's the same chat from the same posters every time :lol:

'sturgeon bad' 

'Sweden wur right' 

Blah blah blah. 

:spoton:

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

'sturgeon bad' 

'Sweden wur right' 

Blah blah blah. 

Bad things have been happening for the past 6 or 7 months.

Don't think anyone here actually wants them to happen,  just lots of comment on how things could be better (or worse).

AlphonseCapone
34 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

'sturgeon bad' 

'Sweden wur right' 

Blah blah blah. 

Shut up and get your muzzle on mate. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

It isn't a new phenomenon and long predates social media.

Now before the predictable outrage let me say up front I am not comparing current governments with dictatorship but there is something in some of the responses to this that is comparable.

In Stalin's Russia, Mao's China, Hitler's Germany, and even many of the more tinpot (yet still murderous) regimes all over the world,  large sections of society were enthusiastic about restrictions and an iron fist imposing discipline, about weeding out and reporting dissidents, collaboration with the state and in occupied countries with the occupying forces, and calling for even more draconian restrictions on freedom than the despots imposed.

A handful of new cases and we see some people quickly and seemingly eagerly predicting new lockdowns "by the end of the week". Despite evidence world wide that schools have not been a significant factor in spreading the virus we have calls for schools to remain locked down indefinitely despite the huge life time damage it has done to children, especially poor and disadvantaged children. If anything this phenomenon seems to have grown since the number of cases and deaths dwindled to a tiny fraction of the peak, and to to levels where Covid 19 is one of the least lethal diseases in circulation and the cause of a tiny fraction of deaths.

Yes. Your right the hysteria is getting worse 

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That's some premium fag packet maths there. 

It’s way over estimated granted but still it’s a decent point. I’ve been out every weekend in multiple places since they opened and nothing anywhere yet. One person in an Edinburgh pub isn’t bad. It’s frankly ludicrous for the state the country is in but that’s another matter. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s way over estimated granted but still it’s a decent point. I’ve been out every weekend in multiple places since they opened and nothing anywhere yet. One person in an Edinburgh pub isn’t bad. It’s frankly ludicrous for the state the country is in but that’s another matter. 

Yes it has been criticized for overestimating but it's a  fair point he is making. 

Brighton Jambo

We have to start contextualising this virus and realising that we all, governments included, have overacted to the level of risk.  The age demographics of those who died demonstrate where the real risks lie.  

As others have said the damage to the economy and other lockdown related Health implications will last way way longer than the risks from the virus.

Every time the UK government eased a lockdown restriction there was shrieks and wails, notably from a few posters on here, along with images of public transport, crammed beaches etc  proclaiming that it was too soon and hospitalisations and deaths would rise.  It simply hasn’t happened.   Maybe that’s more luck than judgement but none the less the approach has broadly worked as intended supported by the targeted local lockdown strategy.    

I recognise that the notion of prioritising economy over health is an unpalatable one but we are simply at the stage now. 

The idea of any country reaching a zero case situation is not going to happen, we need to stop pretending that it can be achieved pre vaccine and as much as possible get the economy moving again otherwise the unemployment toll is going to be catastrophic and the subsequent economic impact will lead to untold addition deaths.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

We have to start contextualising this virus and realising that we all, governments included, have overacted to the level of risk.  The age demographics of those who died demonstrate where the real risks lie.  

As others have said the damage to the economy and other lockdown related Health implications will last way way longer than the risks from the virus.

Every time the UK government eased a lockdown restriction there was shrieks and wails, notably from a few posters on here, along with images of public transport, crammed beaches etc  proclaiming that it was too soon and hospitalisations and deaths would rise.  It simply hasn’t happened.   Maybe that’s more luck than judgement but none the less the approach has worked along with the targeted local lockdown strategy.    

I recognise that the notion of prioritising economy over health is an unpalatable one but we are simply at the stage now. 

The idea of any country reaching a zero case situation is not going to happen, we need to stop pretending that it can be achieved pre vaccine and as much as possible get the economy moving again otherwise the unemployment toll is going to be catastrophic and the subsequent economic impact will lead to untold addition deaths.  

Great post. 

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Every time the UK government eased a lockdown restriction there was shrieks and wails, notably from a few posters on here, along with images of public transport, crammed beaches etc  proclaiming that it was too soon and hospitalisations and deaths would rise.  It simply hasn’t happened.   Maybe that’s more luck than judgement but none the less the approach has broadly worked as intended supported by the targeted local lockdown strategy.    

Good post mate aye👍🏼
The daily fear mongering from the FM must stop too. She needs to back up. A lot. 

Edited by jack D and coke

22 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good post mate aye👍🏼
The daily fear mongering from the FM must stop too. She’s needs to back up. A lot. 

Do we still need this daily briefing live on BBC instead of Bargain Hunt as its spoiling my lunch break?

Walter Bishop

China does not count people who are infected with the virus but do not show symptoms of the disease as confirmed cases.

Exactly what the WHO had said months ago and backtracked as it did not suit the scare the shit out of people agenda. 

11 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Hearts will get the blame. 😳

Expect a statement from the clowns at the SPFL extending our training ban. 🤡

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Good post mate aye👍🏼
The daily fear mongering from the FM must stop too. She needs to back up. A lot. 

I think the FM has been left shell shocked by this crisis.  When she took that role she probably never expected to have to make decisions on which thousands of lives were at stake (not least because foreign policy/defence is devolved).  Her approach now given the previous loss of life is maximum caution and I don’t think she should be criticised for that, these are unbelievably tough calls to make and having seen those deaths no one can blame her for doing everything to avoid a recurrence.

However where I do apportion some blame is the lack of dissenting/alternative opinions from her party.  The Tory’s and Labour have plenty of flaws but their back benches have and do routinely question and challenge the government on their approach and particularly on the balance between economy and health.  I feel the SG could do with  a similar level of debate being generated from within their party but I’m not seeing it.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes. Your right the hysteria is getting worse 

You started the hysteria way back at the start ya hypocrite. 😉

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Good post mate aye👍🏼

Well she went from daily to 5 days a week a long time ago and is moving to 3 times a week from next week, that do you?

The Internet

If it goes to stage 4 that's crowds back at live events isn't it? Haven't really been following so no idea if that's expected or what. 

25 minutes ago, graygo said:

Well she went from daily to 5 days a week a long time ago and is moving to 3 times a week from next week, that do you?

Its on both BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time, which is a pain in the arse if you are popping in front of the TV for 20 mins to grab lunch and just want to catch general news or light TV.

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

If it goes to stage 4 that's crowds back at live events isn't it? Haven't really been following so no idea if that's expected or what. 

That isn't on the horizon from the language NS was giving at today's briefing.

14 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

That sounds shite from the company mate. One of my mates has been on furlough for several months (he is back at work now on a part time basis). However, throughout the time on furlough they still had a weekly Zoom call on a Monday morning with everyone just to provide any updates, as well as check in with people. 

Out of interest what do you work as?

Work in the rail industry mate. Was in the middle of training for a new role when lockdown rules kicked in. Social distancing knackered what I was doing so now its up to the union and company to agree new safe working practices before me and others affected can return.  I know a couple of other folk who work in other industries who were furloughed for a few months. Neither of them had much contact from their respective employers either. Not sure if employers are/or were scared to contact staff as, effectively they weren't working as the government covered their wages. Cant think of any other reason why companies wouldn't check on their staffs' welfare, especially whrn so much emphasis is put on mental health nowadays. Im trying to remain positive and, hopefully I'll be back at work in the not too distant future. I've been saying that for the last 2 months though! 

The Internet
Just now, frankblack said:

Its on both BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time, which is a pain in the arse if you are popping in front of the TV for 20 mins to grab lunch and just want to catch general news or light TV.

It's a nightmare we don't live in an age with almost limitless options for that kind of thing :ninja:

The Internet
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

That isn't on the horizon from the language NS was giving at today's briefing.

Fair dos. Read they were expecting a limited number for a rugby game at Murrayfield, got excited. 

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's a nightmare we don't live in an age with almost limitless options for that kind of thing :ninja:

I tend to just use the Freeview built into my TV - its not like I have time to watch Netflix or anything with the amount of work I have just now.

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Fair dos. Read they were expecting a limited number for a rugby game at Murrayfield, got excited. 

NS indicated that the data she was getting over the clusters were that they centred around gatherings be it in pubs or family groups.  Can't see anything bigger being tolerated.

43 minutes ago, LMc said:

What sort of restrictions are we expecting, if any, to be lifted tommorow?

Moving to next phase would be acknowledging that the virus is no longer a threat to public health. I can't see any politician publicly admitting that   although decreasing hospital admissions , and the continuing good news about no deaths, point to us being on the road to that stage, I don't think either the UK or Scottish govts will take that step imminently .

42 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

However where I do apportion some blame is the lack of dissenting/alternative opinions from her party.  The Tory’s and Labour have plenty of flaws but their back benches have and do routinely question and challenge the government on their approach and particularly on the balance between economy and health.  I feel the SG could do with  a similar level of debate being generated from within their party but I’m not seeing it.  

I think this is a good point. There is something very “Our Dear Leader” about the SNP. 

Now more than ever, at both Holyrood and Westminster we need scepticism and dissenting voices. 

BJ and NS have been granted powers way beyond anything we have ever experienced in a western democracy. In that situation you would want to see a broad range of views and debate, not just Yes Men nodding their heads with everything the leader says. 

TBF as you say, I think within the Conservative party they do have a mix of views. I cannot really see it with the SNP. 

15 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

I know someone working mental health NHS and they say they have a 5 year backlog 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, graygo said:

You started the hysteria way back at the start ya hypocrite. 😉

Did I ? I’m flattered that I have so much influence to cause “ hysteria” 😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, LMc said:

What sort of restrictions are we expecting, if any, to be lifted tommorow?

Nothing certainly not going to phase 4 ! I’m fact can see some restrictions about people in other households visiting etc . Probably mump her gums yet again about pubs too 

Edited by JamesM48

Malinga the Swinga
42 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Work in the rail industry mate. Was in the middle of training for a new role when lockdown rules kicked in. Social distancing knackered what I was doing so now its up to the union and company to agree new safe working practices before me and others affected can return.  I know a couple of other folk who work in other industries who were furloughed for a few months. Neither of them had much contact from their respective employers either. Not sure if employers are/or were scared to contact staff as, effectively they weren't working as the government covered their wages. Cant think of any other reason why companies wouldn't check on their staffs' welfare, especially whrn so much emphasis is put on mental health nowadays. Im trying to remain positive and, hopefully I'll be back at work in the not too distant future. I've been saying that for the last 2 months though! 

Unless it is a vote grabber, then neither SNP or Conservative governments could give a toss. Very much a case of Covid dominating and problems building up in background and being ignored because, well, it doesn't sound as exciting as pandemic. Working together has been abandoned and political point scoring is what it's all about. SNP led the way on that one through Sturgeons grandstanding and attention seeking but Boris playing same game now, so little sign of anything changing.

Shame as for a few weeks, it did look like a consensus approach would do well, but that's politicians for you.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic