Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If the figure is indeed over 44k in 4 months, that is unprecedented as the average since 2015 is around 17k for a year. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-does-the-coronavirus-death-rate-compare-with-flu-and-how-long-will-the-outbreak-last-tlpnwxg89?wgu=270525_16644_15954281713448_3e7ca98140&wgexpiry=1603204171&utm_source=planit&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=4551

Makes the lockdown extra worthwhile for a flu/covid double whammy.

If you look at that graph and don't see how Covid was spiralling out of control before lockdown then there's no hope for you.

By the use of the word "if" you presumably didn't find the link I tried to lead you to or didn't bother. The 17000 figure you quote is for flu not flu and pneumonia as in the ONS figures I was referring to and indeed in the graph you keep referring to.

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Walter Bishop
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

For saving so many lives. Tens of thousands of people are still alive today thanks to lockdown.

As for Whitty, look at the graph above. UK locked down on 23 March. Cases were still going up well into April. In retreat my arse.

Cases peaked around 5 days before lockdown begun. 

Christopher John MacRae Whitty -

CB FRCP FFPH FMedSci

Physician and epidemiologist, Chief Medical Officer for England (CMO), Chief Medical Adviser to the UK Government, Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA) at the Department of Health and Social Care and Head of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).

or 

Ray Gin -

Jambskickback Scaremongerer, Doommongerer, Bedwetter.  

Enzo Chiefo
34 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

For saving so many lives. Tens of thousands of people are still alive today thanks to lockdown.

As for Whitty, look at the graph above. UK locked down on 23 March. Cases were still going up well into April. In retreat my arse.

Deaths peaked on 9 April. The infections pre-date the lockdown decision. The virus caught us off guard and then we dealt with it. It is now in retreat and the future second wave scare stories we hear about are basically small pockets of  infections that can be quickly dealt with.  

21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Your fellow doom-monger JFK1 got away with "look it up for youself" but I'll try to be more helpful.

Google "UK deaths by influenza by age group in 2020." and you should get a link to "Influenza Search Office for National Statistics" which lists a number of reports - yuu want the latest one in response to an FOI request dated 15th May. Let me know if you can't find it and I will recheck my route to it.

In the graph above which you refer me to. it is the area under the graph that you need to look at and that seems consistent with the number of deaths from Covid 19 and Flu/pneumonia being roughly comparable from the beginning of the year. Certainly not anywhere different enough to justify the difference in response and publicity. 

All deaths matter after all!

Realism is not being a doom monger, it's facing reality. Pretending reality doesn't exist is called one being a liar, or two a total idiot. Sometimes a combination of both.

First of all the ONS does not even publish any statistics for flu.

We are responsible for publishing mortality statistics for deaths registered in England and Wales. We do not report numbers of influenza deaths separately. https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/deathsfrominfluenzabyagegroupin2020

In England in an average year 10,000 will die of flu. That's an NHS figure..

https://www.greenwichccg.nhs.uk/News-Publications/news/Pages/Around-10,000-deaths-are-caused-by-flu-each-year-in-England-and-Wales.aspx

And you know what? I will hazard a non expert guess that if the country had been in lockdown for months during the flu season, then emerged to wear masks and practice social distancing, that the flu figure would be considerably lower than that.

Then there's covid-19. Over 45,000 dead in a matter of months which it doesn't take an Einstein to calculate would have been much higher with no lockdown. How do your fellow idiots feel about that?

manaliveits105

Bad news for a lot of businesses still closed today Nicky hinting that she will keep them shut next week so another month in reality and with the changes in furlough coming up - some will say feck it and close .

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Realism is not being a doom monger, it's facing reality. Pretending reality doesn't exist is called one being a liar, or two a total idiot. Sometimes a combination of both.

https://www.greenwichccg.nhs.uk/News-Publications/news/Pages/Around-10,000-deaths-are-caused-by-flu-each-year-in-England-and-Wales.aspx

And you know what? I will hazard a non expert guess that if the country had been in lockdown for months during the flu season, then emerged to wear masks and practice social distancing, that the flu figure would be considerably lower than that.

Then there's covid-19. Over 45,000 dead in a matter of months which it doesn't take an Einstein to calculate would have been much higher with no lockdown. How do your fellow idiots feel about that?

So what do you propose we actually do?

Those of us who think it's now under control and that the remaining hysteria is overkill are basically saying, 'have some perspective in line with other threats to life that we don't panic about daily, the risk is now minimal,  let's get back to living.'

What do those who see this as 'blind to reality' or 'downplaying the threat' suggest that we should be doing, if not getting back to normal?

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So what do you propose we actually do?

Those of us who think it's now under control and that the remaining hysteria is overkill are basically saying, 'have some perspective in line with other threats to life that we don't panic about daily, the risk is now minimal,  let's get back to living.'

What do those who see this as 'blind to reality' or 'downplaying the threat' suggest that we should be doing, if not getting back to normal?

I can only look at real statistics and see that this is far more deadly than flu. I'm not a pandemic response expert so there's no point in asking me what I propose to do. Even if I did pull a proposal out of my arse it would be irrelevant.

Enzo Chiefo
12 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

In the UK each year, unfortunately 115k die "in a matter of months" from respiratory illnesses. Covid is just another one of those. Thankfully, across the UK , deaths are below the 5 year average for this time of year. Over reporting of Covid "related" deaths have also skewed the figures too. 

Enzo Chiefo

In the UK each year, unfortunately 115k die "in a matter of months" from respiratory illnesses. Covid is just another one of those. Thankfully, across the UK , deaths are below the 5 year average for this time of year. Over reporting of Covid "related" deaths have also skewed the figures too. 

Enzo Chiefo

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Wow, the football forum pandemic expert, you been in contact with the government, the WHO, and the UN yet? They need expertise like yours.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think the biggest danger catching Covid for the young & healthy isn't dying from Covid but being left with long-term maybe even life-long disabilities.

There are more and more cases all over the World amongst what would be considered the young (20 to 40's) who after getting what they thought was a mild dose of Covid starting to develop serious heart, lung, kidney, brain conditions and there is an alarming increase of strokes in younger people.

The real long-term effects won't be known for some time, for obvious reasons, but the early signs are quite disturbing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who

i don’t expect anyone’s overly surprised that some people who have had a serious illness albeit with mild symptoms might have complications down the line - happens with lots of more established diseases

as you say there’s an uncertainty at the moment about how many or few this could affect

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Lots to be working on here. 

you’re one of the key experts I was referring to - I don’t imagine I’m the only who has gained great understanding from your knowledgeable and insightful posting - keep on contributing :)

11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I can only look at real statistics and see that this is far more deadly than flu. I'm not a pandemic response expert so there's no point in asking me what I propose to do. Even if I did pull a proposal out of my arse it would be irrelevant.

So all you're doing in regurgitating stats to combat other people who do want to share their thoughts, whilst having none of your own? Seems quite pointless.

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Wow, the football forum pandemic expert, you been in contact with the government, the WHO, and the UN yet? They need expertise like yours.

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So all you're doing in regurgitating stats to combat other people who do want to share their thoughts, whilst having none of your own? Seems quite pointless.

I'm not combating anybody, i'm at worst correcting people who think this thing is no more harmful than flu which is absurd. You prefer I just let them pretend this thing is flu? Go to a conspiracy nut website, you will be happier there.

Having no thoughts of my own? What in the world are you talking about? How many more global issues should I be proposing solutions for with no expertise?

This whining about reality you're demonstrating is what's pointless. Nobody likes the reality. We're not all screaming like toddlers who have been grounded for bad behaviour.

23 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That is absolutely not true. 

Victims are left with life changing & life threatening conditions as a result of this virus like we have NEVER seen before. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Victims are left with life changing & life threatening conditions as a result of this virus like we have NEVER seen before. 

some people never recover from glandular fever - life never the same again - young ones too

lots of illnesses leave lasting affects which are life changing - you’ve maybe NEVER seen them before but plenty have

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's not just the fact it's not true, the reality is many old people, effectively dying of old age, die with what's described at the end as a respiratory issue. Old age is killing them, respiratory failure completes the process.

Which obviously has absolutely nothing to do with any highly infectious contagion which kills by attacking the respiratory system.

These people talking such drivel are the equivalent of conspiracy wackos, and I don't understand the motive. Pretending this thing isn't what it is, denying it's highly dangerous and highly infectious, needs controlling, helps absolutely nothing.

I'm not going to catch old age standing next to an older person.

56 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Deaths peaked on 9 April. The infections pre-date the lockdown decision. The virus caught us off guard and then we dealt with it. It is now in retreat and the future second wave scare stories we hear about are basically small pockets of  infections that can be quickly dealt with.  

So we're agreed, lockdown has been effective and was therefore well worthwhile. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

And notice the expertise thrown in at the end, "small pockets of  infections that can be quickly dealt with"

Like the little pocket in Melbourne currently being easily dealt with by return to full lockdown. They need his expertise down under.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

You didn't find or perhaps didn't even try to find the ONS link I directed Ray Gin to either. And you didn't or couldn't read or understand the Ray Gin graph which he kept referring to either. And flu is not the same as flu/pneumonia which is the figure I quoted from ONS and shown in the famous graph. 

But your ability to call people liars and idiots is not in doubt.

And why exactly haven't we locked down, worn masks and socially distanced to reduce deaths from flu/pneumonia? 

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

You didn't find or perhaps didn't even try to find the ONS link I directed Ray Gin to either. And you didn't or couldn't read or understand the Ray Gin graph which he kept referring to either. And flu is not the same as flu/pneumonia which is the figure I quoted from ONS and shown in the famous graph. 

But you ability to call people liars and idiots is not in doubt.

And why exatly haven't we locked down, worn masks and socially distanced to reduce deaths from flu/pneumonia? 

So you're saying the ONS does publish flu statistics? Ok show me because on their site they're denying it. Your ability to talk while producing nothing to support it is not in doubt.

21 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm not combating anybody, i'm at worst correcting people who think this thing is no more harmful than flu which is absurd. You prefer I just let them pretend this thing is flu? Go to a conspiracy nut website, you will be happier there.

You're obsessed with flu. All people are using it for is context, it's not some kind of world's strongest virus competition. They're just saying (and in FAs case, flu and pneumonia) they also kill a lot but we don't trash everything else to mitigate it.

Having no thoughts of my own? What in the world are you talking about? How many more global issues should I be proposing solutions for with no expertise?

You said yourself, you have no proposals, you're just reading stats. I just think it's odd to come on here and tell people they're wrong and then when asked for your suggestions just say 'I'm not an expert so I don't have any'. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

This whining about reality you're demonstrating is what's pointless. Nobody likes the reality. We're not all screaming like toddlers who have been grounded for bad behaviour.

I'm not whining about reality. Please show me where I am? In fact I'm proposing the exact opposite, to shut up about the whole thing, accept the risk and get on with life. Not sure how that's whining? Surely saying things like 'oooh the bad man isn't wearing a mask, I don't like it' is more akin to whining about reality.

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

We're not all screaming like toddlers who have been grounded for bad behaviour.

Instead you're screaming like a toddler at folk who refuse to behave like we're days away from the rapture.

18 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

some people never recover from glandular fever - life never the same again - young ones too

lots of illnesses leave lasting affects which are life changing - you’ve maybe NEVER seen them before but plenty have

Read my post again. That's not what I said. 

And just for the record , I suffered glandular fever in my teens so I'm perfectly aware of it. 

People who get a "mild" dose of Covid-19 and recover have reported and suffered a slew of chronic conditions associated with various internal organs as a result of Covid-19.

This then puts them at much higher risk of death if they catch it again.

It's a very strange disease. Not flu. Not limited to the respiratory system.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Read my post again. That's not what I said. 

And just for the record , I suffered glandular fever in my teens so I'm perfectly aware of it. 

hope you did make a full recovery

nope - I don’t see anything different re-reading other than maybe the specifics of the disease

life changing is life changing there are obviously degrees and different symptoms not sure I’m seeing the difference - apologies for any confusion

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You're obsessed with flu. All people are using it for is context, it's not some kind of world's strongest virus competition. They're just saying (and in FAs case, flu and pneumonia) they also kill a lot but we don't trash everything else to mitigate it.

Now you're fantasising, how else in your reality would I respond to a claim that covid-19 is no more deadly than flu while not mentioning flu? Get this into your head, covid-19 is infinitely more deadly than flu.

And you would need to be a  total idiot to think for a moment the entire world voluntarily wrecked their own economies with no reason other than just another flu. That's all i'm saying in opposition to those who claim otherwise. Go whining to them to STFU and I will have nothing to say.

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You said yourself, you have no proposals, you're just reading stats. I just think it's odd to come on here and tell people they're wrong and then when asked for your suggestions just say 'I'm not an expert so I don't have any'. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yes that's right, I have no proposals, i'm not in government, i'm not a pandemic response expert. I don't have any proposals for colonising mars or curing cancer either simply because I don't have any expertise in that field either.

And i'm guessing neither are you or anyone else here dos either. If you think every Tom Dick and tit out there has the capacity to be solving the biggest health crisis in living memory whatever floats your boat I guess. 

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not whining about reality. Please show me where I am? In fact I'm proposing the exact opposite, to shut up about the whole thing, accept the risk and get on with life. Not sure how that's whining? Surely saying things like 'oooh the bad man isn't wearing a mask, I don't like it' is more akin to whining about reality.

Well I interpret going on and on about what do us who think it's over and want to get back to normality do as whining about reality. The reality is it's not over, are you Trump? Do you think it's disappeared like a 'miracle'?

It hasn't, it's still there and still needs to be contained. And since I don't have the expertise to propose how to best do that well take the advice I give to others. If you have a proposal get in touch with the relevant authorities and give them your advice. 

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What's the relevance to covid? It's the same link I already quoted from. Where it says this.

We are responsible for publishing mortality statistics for deaths registered in England and Wales. We do not report numbers of influenza deaths separately, these deaths are either reported with pneumonia deaths or as part of a larger group containing all respiratory diseases.

Covid is a highly contagious pathogen, all that other stuff being lumped in with flu there is not.This is the annual number of flu deaths from NHS data. 

Around 10,000 deaths are caused by flu each year in England and Wales

Francis Albert

So you're saying the ONS does publish flu statistics? Ok show me because on their site they're denying it. Your ability to talk while producing nothing to support it is not in doubt.

In the link I directed Ray Gin to ONS respond to an FOI request by reporting deaths from flu/pneumonia deaths. Have you had a look.at that link yet? You know the link.that I provided to support what I said.

23 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Now you're fantasising, how else in your reality would I respond to a claim that covid-19 is no more deadly than flu while not mentioning flu? Get this into your head, covid-19 is infinitely more deadly than flu.

And you would need to be a  total idiot to think for a moment the entire world voluntarily wrecked their own economies with no reason other than just another flu. That's all i'm saying in opposition to those who claim otherwise. Go whining to them to STFU and I will have nothing to say.

Yes that's right, I have no proposals, i'm not in government, i'm not a pandemic response expert. I don't have any proposals for colonising mars or curing cancer either simply because I don't have any expertise in that field either.

And i'm guessing neither are you or anyone else here dos either. If you think every Tom Dick and tit out there has the capacity to be solving the biggest health crisis in living memory whatever floats your boat I guess. 

Well I interpret going on and on about what do us who think it's over and want to get back to normality do as whining about reality. The reality is it's not over, are you Trump? Do you think it's disappeared like a 'miracle'?

It hasn't, it's still there and still needs to be contained. And since I don't have the expertise to propose how to best do that well take the advice I give to others. If you have a proposal get in touch with the relevant authorities and give them your advice. 

Correct, the reality is it's not over, but it's now an incredibly small risk. Thankfully things are opening again and people are going back to work, back to pubs, back to gyms and back to life. I'm more concerned (albeit not concerned) about getting hit by a car when out running so let's stop arguing and I'll go back to getting on with things and you can focus on being a doom merchant and telling people they're wrong. Everyone wins 👍

Governor Tarkin
36 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Get this into your head, covid-19 is infinitely more deadly than flu.

:rofl:

"Infinitely" is a really big number.

I wonder what percentage more deadlierer justifies a number that big?

Everyone that's been exposed to covid has definitely died, some of them two or three times, probably, so you must be right.

I love it when folk harp on about facts and data then come out with hyperbolic belters like that. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Rather than resorting to your default response mode perhaps you should engage your brain. You don't seem able to be able to cope with reading opinions that differ from yours. 

115k die in the UK each year from respiratory illnesses. That is a fact. Or do you need  WHO to confirm it for you?? It is not rocket science to surmise that , of the 44k Covid deaths, some may have been those that are prone to any respiratory illness.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Correct, the reality is it's not over, but it's now an incredibly small risk. Thankfully things are opening again and people are going back to work, back to pubs, back to gyms and back to life. I'm more concerned (albeit not concerned) about getting hit by a car when out running so let's stop arguing and I'll go back to getting on with things and you can focus on being a doom merchant and telling people they're wrong. Everyone wins 👍

Your wasting your time trying to debate with him.  Hewon'tt listen to any  positive  facts at all.  Of    3,595 tested yesterday  0.3% were positive. Incredibly low stat.  

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes, I agree that lockdown was worthwhile and effective . However, infections were peaking as we went into lockdown and were heading for the down slope.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Your wasting your time trying to debate with him.  Hewon'tt listen to any  positive  facts at all.  Of    3,595 tested yesterday  0.3% were positive. Incredibly low stat.  

Just sit back and enjoy all the experts on this thread.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree that lockdown was worthwhile and effective . However, infections were peaking as we went into lockdown and were heading for the down slope.

fallacy_COVID_parachute-2-768x768.jpg

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

fallacy_COVID_parachute-2-768x768.jpg

Infections were peaking as we went into lockdown and were heading for the down slope. I thought it would write it iut again for you.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Infections were peaking as we went into lockdown and were heading for the down slope. I thought it would write it iut again for you.

Rearrange these words:

Point the missed you

19 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Rather than resorting to your default response mode perhaps you should engage your brain. You don't seem able to be able to cope with reading opinions that differ from yours. 

115k die in the UK each year from respiratory illnesses. That is a fact. Or do you need  WHO to confirm it for you?? It is not rocket science to surmise that , of the 44k Covid deaths, some may have been those that are prone to any respiratory illness.

What opinion differs from mine? That it's far more deadly than flu? It is. And you need to engage the brain and stop waffling irrelevant drivel. What's the relevance of covid  to this 115K you continue rambling about? Absolutely nothing.

Both of my grandfathers died of respiratory illness. Neither of them had covid or any infectious pathogen that could be transmitted to others. Which is why the country didn't go into lockdown when they died.

Is that getting through the fog? Old people dying of respiratory failure isn't a pandemic threatening the nation. How many brain cells are required to grasp that.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

you’re one of the key experts I was referring to - I don’t imagine I’m the only who has gained great understanding from your knowledgeable and insightful posting - keep on contributing :)

If I've been prouder than how I feel right now, I don't recall it. 😊

New cases in Scotland peaked around 2 weeks after lockdown. They were rocketing upwards when it was introduced. 

a91fd87f-de3a-4171-afbb-60f48d3c8573?pub

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Cade said:

People who get a "mild" dose of Covid-19 and recover have reported and suffered a slew of chronic conditions associated with various internal organs as a result of Covid-19.

This then puts them at much higher risk of death if they catch it again.

It's a very strange disease. Not flu. Not limited to the respiratory system.

5 people I know have had it and only one said they didn’t feel great for a couple of days. Ranged in age from my niece who’s 21 to her mum who’s 50. All of them totally fine now. 

Stop writing it as it is wrong. There was no hint of a downward trajectory on 23 March. 

Enzo Chiefo
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Rearrange these words:

Point the missed you

Your parachute analogy certainly missed the point. I was arguing FOR lockdown not AGAINST. But don't worry, it wasn't all wasted,  a Covid-phile will be along shortly to dismiss the efficacy of parachutes due to never having been subject to clinical trials😂

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Stop writing it as it is wrong. There was no hint of a downward trajectory on 23 March. 

But deaths peaked on April 9. You agree with that?

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

5 people I know have had it and only one said they didn’t feel great for a couple of days. Ranged in age from my niece who’s 21 to her mum who’s 50. All of them totally fine now. 

Best post on here for a while.

Enzo Chiefo
16 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

What opinion differs from mine? That it's far more deadly than flu? It is. And you need to engage the brain and stop waffling irrelevant drivel. What's the relevance of covid  to this 115K you continue rambling about? Absolutely nothing.

Both of my grandfathers died of respiratory illness. Neither of them had covid or any infectious pathogen that could be transmitted to others. Which is why the country didn't go into lockdown when they died.

Is that getting through the fog? Old people dying of respiratory failure isn't a pandemic threatening the nation. How many brain cells are required to grasp that.

It's not threatening the nation. Therein lies the problem with your mindset. You are making Nancy Pelosi sound positively rational.

39 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I'm sure I heard the First Minister say that WHO advise that a 5% positive rate was classed as low. We're doing very nicely.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic