Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy

I went out for a few drinks . Went to Shandwhicks . Actually impressed how they have prepared . You had to wait to be seated ( given a “ table “) and requested to stay at that table for the duration of the visit . Only allowed to stay 2 hours . Had to stand at certain spots at the bar etc . You were not Allowed to go to other tables and talk to people . There was a piss heid who did this and he was warned . The toilets were also well managed . A simple thing like leaving both doors to entering the toilet were opened so you didn’t have to touch the door entering . Urinals had signs on every other one saying not to use them . After this we went to the pub at top Princes Mall and again had to book a slot. Drinks served by waiters and you had to take your drink off the tray yourself . We were meant to only to stay 3 hours but they said we could stay longer . Was good day and as others say nice to see people out and about enjoying themselves . Got a good vibe from people . I think it’ll take a long time for people to process the last 4 months  .  One comical thing was the toilet attendant at the last pub actually had a card machine for tips !!! I left 50p which worked out quite a  good deal really  once my waters broke after a few drinks lol 😂 

Edited by JamesM48

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, kila said:

Can't be far away from proven treatments and vaccine. This year has been such a blur that it's easy to forget scientists have only had months to research and develop. What an effort and I imagine because of the huge investment the learnings from this virus and immunity tests/developments will better our understanding of other diseases and viruses leading to more breakthroughs in the future.

I often wake in the mornings feeling when will this end, will I get something to make me feel good today. These two articles plus other stuff I read particularly this morning filled me with optimism that we are getting a handle on this virus. We are, on an almost daily basis making progress in our understanding of this virus and how to manage it. That’s despite it accelerating in other countries like Mexico and the USA. 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I went out for a few drinks . Went to Shandwhicks . Actually impressed how they have prepared . You had to wait to be seated ( given a “ table “) and requested to stay at that table for the duration of the visit . Only allowed to stay 2 hours . Had to stand at certain spots at the bar etc . You were not Allowed to go to other tables and talk to people . There was a piss heid who did this and he was warned . The toilets were also well managed . A simple thing like leaving both doors to entering the toilet were opened so you didn’t have to touch the door entering . Urinals had signs on every other one saying not to use them . After this we went to the pub at top Princes Mall and again had to book a slot. Drinks served by waiters and you had to take your drink off the tray yourself . We were meant to only to stay 3 hours but they said we could stay longer . Was good day and as others say nice to see people out and about enjoying themselves . Got a good vibe from people . I think it’ll take a long time for people to process the last 4 months  .  One comical thing was the toilet attendant at the last pub actually had a card machine for tips !!! I left 50p which worked out quite a  good deal really  once my waters broke after a few drinks lol 😂 

Glad you enjoyed it. 🍻 Stay safe 👍

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, Cade said:

Everybody in the local shop was wearing a mask this time around.

No stigma or moaning about it. 

Took a few seconds when coming in to put it on, took it right back off again upon leaving.

It's not a great hassle.

Aye it's the same round my way. It's no big hassle for the time being.

I'd still hate for it to become normal for an extended period though. Something unsettling and dystopian about it.

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Glad you enjoyed it. 🍻 Stay safe 👍

Cheers I did . Head sore today but out later again 👍

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Nice. Going out drinking myself in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it even more after reading your post. 

26 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That sounds very civilized.

Waiter service, booked tables and toilet attendant sounds the dug's baws.

12 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

lockdown saved covid lives the net affect on mortality won’t be known until some time in the future

1999 48000 excess winter deaths 

2014 44000 excess winter deaths 

that’s significantly from the (much derided on here) flu with a vaccine

44000+ in both winters poor people dying before their time while the majority of us were out spreading our germs at Christmas parties and like unrestricted

if lockdown was about numbers then why no lockdown in either of those times - surely lockdown could have saved significant numbers then

are we going to lockdown the next heavy flu season - maybe save 20000 lives?

meaning a lockdown strict and widespread enough to potentially trash the economy like this one

We had never done a lockdown before this one, so it was unknown how effective it would be and if people would comply with it really. 

On the whole, probably 95% of people have broadly complied with the rules. I agree that going forward if we have a particularly bad flu year once every 10-20 years, we should consider having a lockdown to slow transmission and save 10,000s of lives. 

We now know we have another weapon in our arsenal against infectious diseases. 

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd still hate for it to become normal for an extended period though. Something unsettling and dystopian about it.

I wouldn't mind it becoming a consideration in the future though. If someone has a streaming cold but still has some business to conduct, a mask would be respectful thing to wear. I've had meetings with folk with colds and I spent the whole time thinking 'great I'm going to get that now' and trying to edge further away from them.

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

That sounds very civilized.

Waiter service, booked tables and toilet attendant sounds the dug's baws.

Yeah it felt civilised ! Good night it was 

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

👍🍺

37 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Just carry an inhaler and say you are asthmatic. Then you don't have to wear one. 

23 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye you probably get a fair number of utter arseholes trying that one.

Probably. Fortunately the majority of folk just get on with it and wear a mask. 

Professor Liech (?) said today asthmatics should try wearing it. Wearing a mask would be better than an asthmatic with Covid. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

We had never done a lockdown before this one, so it was unknown how effective it would be and if people would comply with it really. 

On the whole, probably 95% of people have broadly complied with the rules. I agree that going forward if we have a particularly bad flu year once every 10-20 years, we should consider having a lockdown to slow transmission and save 10,000s of lives. 

We now know we have another weapon in our arsenal against infectious diseases. 

the economy is not going to be trashed to save 10000 lives - if that was the case they’d triple or quadruple everyone’s tax and quadruple funding to the nhs and the economy can take a big back seat

thats the point no way was lockdown just about saving numbers of lives (although I’m sure saving numbers of lives was a good by-product)

if some sort of lockdown measures can be used without trashing the economy then fair enough - would hardly merit the name lockdown I wouldn’t imagine tho

27 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the economy is not going to be trashed to save 10000 lives - if that was the case they’d triple or quadruple everyone’s tax and quadruple funding to the nhs and the economy can take a big back seat

thats the point no way was lockdown just about saving numbers of lives (although I’m sure saving numbers of lives was a good by-product)

if some sort of lockdown measures can be used without trashing the economy then fair enough - would hardly merit the name lockdown I wouldn’t imagine tho

The flu is a different situation to CV. We have had experience of and understand the flu. The main reason the economy will suffer from the CV situation is the uncertainty. Going back to April/May time, nobody had any idea how long Lockdown would last, when the death rate would drop, or if there would be a second wave. Companies cannot operate or plan for that sort of uncertainty.

The flu is totally different we know how long the flu season lasts, we know there won’t be a second wave in the summer months etc. So maybe once every 10 years or whatever if there was a particularly bad flu season, the Govt could say, we are going into lockdown for a month to stop the spread. 

I am not saying it will happen, just that it is doable and wouldn’t have anywhere near the far retching economic effects the uncertainty around CV has caused. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Nice. Going out drinking myself in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it even more after reading your post. 

Have a great time when u head out 

Governor Tarkin
39 minutes ago, kila said:

I wouldn't mind it becoming a consideration in the future though. If someone has a streaming cold but still has some business to conduct, a mask would be respectful thing to wear. I've had meetings with folk with colds and I spent the whole time thinking 'great I'm going to get that now' and trying to edge further away from them.

That's a completely different scenario to blanket mandatory mask wearing tbf.

23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Just carry an inhaler and say you are asthmatic. Then you don't have to wear one. 

Don't really mind for the time being.

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Halt! Vhere are your medical papers, Herr Cruyff?

I do not believe ziss asthma story...

Coming soon to a town near you!

Screen-Shot-2017-03-04-at-04.08.50.png

Edited by Frank

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Two hairdressers in the States developed symptoms. They were indeed positive. They continued to work for several days, and in the process potentially exposed 139 clients to the virus.

But they wore masks. Zero infections.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

Which at the end of the day should surprise no one but Trump and the trumpets. It doesn't take a degree in virology to figure this out. Any 'very stable genius' should get it.  

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, kila said:

The Japanese wore face masks when they had a cold as a courtesy to their fellow citizens so that they didn't pass on their germs.

Over the years it has literally grown arms & legs to what is today.

Here is an interesting article from 2014 about the history of the wearing of face masks in public in Asia.

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Japanese wore face masks when they had a cold as a courtesy to their fellow citizens so that they didn't pass on their germs.

Over the years it has literally grown arms & legs to what is today.

Here is an interesting article from 2014 about the history of the wearing of face masks in public in Asia.

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

A facet of an extremely polite society and I can offer a little anecdote from a story I read years ago to support that. The story was told by an RAF fighter pilot who had been in Japan flying a Harrier jump jet in an exhibition.

One of the tricks they did with the Harrier during these displays was hovering it maybe just 20 feet or so off the ground in front of the crowd to demonstrate the stability. Then they would dip the nose like it was bowing to the crowd.

The pilot said that in Britain and Europe in general when he did this trick the crowd would respond with applause at best. In Japan when he looked out at the crowd what he saw was thousands of very polite Japanese all bowing back.

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

A facet of an extremely polite society and I can offer a little anecdote from a story I read years ago to support that. The story was told by an RAF fighter pilot who had been in Japan flying a Harrier jump jet in an exhibition.

One of the tricks they did with the Harrier during these displays was hovering it maybe just 20 feet or so off the ground in front of the crowd to demonstrate the stability. Then they would dip the nose like it was bowing to the crowd.

The pilot said that in Britain and Europe in general when he did this trick the crowd would respond with applause at best. In Japan when he looked out at the crowd what he saw was thousands of very polite Japanese all bowing back.

I can just see it as well.

Noisy feckers those Harriers were, was at an airshow at RAF Leuchars and a harrier did this bowing right where we were standing, the ground literally shook.

3 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Professor Liech (?) said today asthmatics should try wearing it. Wearing a mask would be better than an asthmatic with Covid. 

Wearing a mask won't protect you from catching it according to Professor Leitch whether you're asthmatic or not.

Wish he would make his mind up.

Staff Helplines – Updated location 
We have a number of helplines and support options available for staff. You can find this information on the NHS Lothian Staff page for COVID-19. 
Important Information 
Updated Guidance on Vitamin D 
Public Health Scotland has updated its guidance on Vitamin D to reflect the coronavirus situation. This is of particular importance to the groups listed below, 
• All pregnant and breastfeeding women 
• Infants and children under 5 years old 
• People who have low or no exposure to the sun, for example those who cover their skin for cultural reasons, are housebound, confined indoors for long periods or live in an institution such as a care home 
• People from minority ethnic groups with dark skin such as those of African, African-Caribbean and South Asian origin as they require more sun exposure to make as much vitamin D 

A general information leaflet ‘Vitamin D and You’ is available online at: http://www.healthscotland.com/documents/5274.aspx . This leaflet is available in different languages. 
For more information visit the Scottish Government website: https://www.gov.scot/publications/vitamin-d-advice-for-all-age-groups/ 
If you would like any further information, get in touch with your GP, pharmacist, midwife or health visitor. 

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Two hairdressers in the States developed symptoms. They were indeed positive. They continued to work for several days, and in the process potentially exposed 139 clients to the virus.

But they wore masks. Zero infections.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

So either they continued to work when they had symptoms, which is not really very responsible but we'll let them off this time because they wore masks, or they stoped working when they developed symptoms and it turns out the disease isn't as virulent when the carriers are asymptomatic.

Nut. Must be the masks. 100%.

4 hours ago, Frank said:

I like you, Frank.

Unknown user
On 17/07/2020 at 21:11, Walter Bishop said:

Dont think there was ever 10,000 extra deaths in any 1 week due to covid, but fair enough if it suits your opinion. 

Bit snidey, its not about it suiting my opinion, my opinion's been formed by what I see.

None of us know how many deaths were because of covid, especially back then.

For starters they've only announced in the last few days an accurate test (not 100% accurate but 95%+) which will start shipping soon, and of course very limited testing was actually being done back then.

Then we've got the biggy - the official numbers were people who were diagnosed with covid and who died in hospital. Care homes werent included, people who died at home weren't included, people who hadn't got diagnosed in time weren't included.

And that's why looking at how this year compares to previous years is relevant. 

Weekly death figures are surprisingly steady year on year, and when a death rate double what it normally is, 10,000 extra deaths in that one week, it's worth paying attention to. 

I only looked in detail at week 17 but I know other weeks show similar figures (if anyone can be arsed going through the ONS figures, feel free!)

What is that? Coincidence? There were 20k deaths instead of 10k in week 17 while a global pandemic was on the go, but the two aren't related? 

:Aye:

Ainsley Harriott
14 hours ago, Frank said:

Remember to line the streets and applaud the Fuhrer today to mark her birthday.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, samgolden said:

Interesting and no doubt we'll researched. Of course though, the scientists on here will have him marked down as a "twit" or "nincompoop" for failing to toe the line. 

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Interesting and no doubt we'll researched. Of course though, the scientists on here will have him marked down as a "twit" or "nincompoop" for failing to toe the line. 

It’s Peter Hitchens. 

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It’s Peter Hitchens. 

It could be Bill Leckie. I would still agree with the article. 

davemclaren
Just now, Salad Fingers said:

That’s your right. 

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Happy Birthday Nicola.

7DB881F5-423C-4E03-B0C1-7B618327E619.jpeg

Governor Tarkin
41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It’s Peter Hitchens. 

He's a prick.

Liked his brother, though.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He's a prick.

Liked his brother, though.

Actually never knew that was his brother. Never made the connection. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Actually never knew that was his brother. Never made the connection. 

Like chalk and cheese, Gin. 👍

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Like chalk and cheese, Gin. 👍

Not half. Just reading Christopher’s wiki page and they had a few fall outs. Unsurprising. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

do we know if the comments attributed to Chris Whitty and Jenny Harris are just made up or not?

or the WHO comments about political lobbying?

if they’re not and are current views then ur right probably doesn’t matter who wrote the article 

Boris etc needs everyone to get out and spend some money if saying a face mask works makes people feel safe then job done for Boris at this stage of the game irrespective if the affects of face masks are positive negative or neutral 

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

21 hours ago, Frank said:

6 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

:gok:

Sorry for taking the thread away from the Nicola bashing but here are today's numbers.

Scottish numbers: 19 July 2020

• 23 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Sorry for taking the thread away from the Nicola bashing but here are today's numbers.

Thanks for the update.

39 minutes ago, graygo said:

Cheers. A lot more testing going on and increased lockdown freedom probably meant an uptick in the numbers was going to happen. Wee bit disappointed all the same. 

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, samgolden said:

I am a great fan of his brother Christopher's writing. In fact have just finished "And Yet.." a posthumous collection of essays published after his death in 2012. He was popular on the left (in part because he was left) but somewhat disgraced himself after the twin towers by arguing that given the unpalatable choice  you had to choose even George Dubya over ISIS and Saddam Hussein.. He was also a devastating critic of the Clintons. And although a huge Obama fan could still criticise some of the more anodyne stuff in his books.

His brother Peter, despite being (in a sense, but it is a simplification) near  the opposite end of the political spectrum is an almost equally challenging and coherent essayist. His criticism of Boris and his immediate predecessors in the Tory Government is as devastating as Peter's criticism of the Clintons. In part because it comes from the "right" end of the spectrum but more because it is right.

Read both.

Edited by Francis Albert

The small rise in cases is thankully low and spread out enough for it to be too much of a concern for now. Hopefully just a wee blip and not the start further rises.

CavySlaveJambo
35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The small rise in cases is thankully low and spread out enough for it to be too much of a concern for now. Hopefully just a wee blip and not the start further rises.

But the true changes from these lockdown measures won’t be known just yet. It is too soon. 
I am wondering if a proportion of the increase is coming from testing asymptomatic contacts of positive cases. 

Probably going to take up to a month before we can begin getting a real idea of how post lockdown is going to pan out. A lot may depend on people being sensible with social distancing and masks etc.

The way I see it there is no end game till we have a vaccine.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

do we know if the comments attributed to Chris Whitty and Jenny Harris are just made up or not?

or the WHO comments about political lobbying?

if they’re not and are current views then ur right probably doesn’t matter who wrote the article 

Boris etc needs everyone to get out and spend some money if saying a face mask works makes people feel safe then job done for Boris at this stage of the game irrespective if the affects of face masks are positive negative or neutral 

If you have been following the story at all it is not news that WHO s advice and the Government's experts advice (" the science") has been consistently inconsistent. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic