Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Cheers. A lot more testing going on and increased lockdown freedom probably meant an uptick in the numbers was going to happen. Wee bit disappointed all the same. 

If folk are testing positive but not cashing up their chips then we're still in good shape, Gin. 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

If folk are testing positive but not cashing up their chips then we're still in good shape, Gin. 👍

Hope so. Been some fantastic numbers in the daily reports in Scotland

6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Actually never knew that was his brother. Never made the connection. 

There's a cracking Hitchen Brothers debate on youtube. 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Will look that up. Thanks. 

Francis Albert
45 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Thanks. Will watch that. In fact have tried to but the link.breaks down after a couple of minutes. Old technology like print is still best. For anything beyond a tweet anyway.

Edited by Francis Albert

15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks. Will watch that. In fact have tried to but the link.breaks down after a couple of minutes. Old technology like print is still best. For anything beyond a tweet anyway.

👍 2 hours of fun and Peter knows who the Man is. 

CavySlaveJambo
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The way I see it there is no end game till we have a vaccine.

And here in lies the problem. There may never be a vaccine so waiting for one to be available isn’t a good option. There are many in trials but the trials may all fail. 

Yet physical distancing is also not a good or workable solution long term.  However working treatments may be available sooner. 

19 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It’s Peter Hitchens. 

So it can't be true so  its lies be because you dont agree with His politics 

41 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

https://apple.news/AnOKHuLYhStW6LNGuuZp8hg

Coronavirus: Protein treatment trial 'a breakthrough' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53467022

Good news this morning. 

Good stuff. Hope the peer review goes well and this is a proven reliable treatment.

But with the way things have gone so far I’m awaiting this company being less than it seemed and being owned by a wife of a Tory MP or something :whistling:

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Was out for dinner and drinks last night. First time since lockdown started. 

I enjoyed the experience and whilst its definitely a little weird, there are some advantages. More space and less noise with every thing being spotless were the main. 

It was great being out again. Will go for a family meal this week.  

:thumb: I'm gone oot the day, hopefully. Nice early dinner and a jar or twa. 

davemclaren
4 hours ago, samgolden said:

So it can't be true so  its lies be because you dont agree with His politics 

No, he aims to take a deliberately extreme contrarian view, and does. I actually agree with some of what he says but the truth, seen through my boring prism, normally lies somewhere in the middle. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Was out for dinner and drinks last night. First time since lockdown started. 

I enjoyed the experience and whilst its definitely a little weird, there are some advantages. More space and less noise with every thing being spotless were the main. 

It was great being out again. Will go for a family meal this week.  

Was out for a meal at a pub in England last week-end and a Scottish one this week-end.

English - No face masks, every second table was not being used, table service only.

Scottish - Were required to wear face masks for the 20 yards from the front door to our table & then the 20 yards from our table to the front door after our meal, everything else was the same as in England the week before, except the face mask palaver, which tbh was completely unnecessary for short distance and the few seconds which we had them on for.

54 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was out for a meal at a pub in England last week-end and a Scottish one this week-end.

English - No face masks, every second table was not being used, table service only.

Scottish - Were required to wear face masks for the 20 yards from the front door to our table & then the 20 yards from our table to the front door after our meal, everything else was the same as in England the week before, except the face mask palaver, which tbh was completely unnecessary for short distance and the few seconds which we had them on for.

I hope you've recovered from the hardship you endured. It must have been extremely harrowing. I will pray for you. 

giphy.gif

A good early stage intervention was what was needed and the interferon B treatment looks like it might be a significant one.    Hopefully trials continue to show those results.    The Dexamethazone treatment being used as a later stage intervention as well.

Coronavirus in Scotland LIVE

Last updated: Monday, 20 July, 2020, 11:39

Potential Covid-19 cluster identified in Lanarkshire

21 new cases of coronavirus in Scotland

No new deaths of people who had tested positive

Walter Bishop
57 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A good early stage intervention was what was needed and the interferon B treatment looks like it might be a significant one.    Hopefully trials continue to show those results.    The Dexamethazone treatment being used as a later stage intervention as well.

Was reading about the Interferon B trials over the weekend, 79% reduction in ventilation requirement is very significant, particularly for the elderly and vulnerable. Was surprised to see Cuba have been using this since March. Makes you wonder how much politics are going into the sharing of information etc between governments. 

A good, proven treatment is the game changer, forget vaccines. 

Walter Bishop
7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

That`ll be the cluster at the track and trace centre. 

15 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

That`ll be the cluster at the track and trace centre. 

Irony isn't it. Hope they all recover.

Walter Bishop
28 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

T-Cells are going to be key to immunity. Alot of experts now talking this up. 

https://www.ft.com/content/5cf2ee49-df7a-4990-b337-860cf7737b2f

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, samgolden said:

Well here is another view and this is what was broadcast on Tv and at the daily briefings regarding face masks  when the virus was most virulent and I agree this is a political decision 
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/gmbs-dr-hilary-jones-says-18086932

So was the decision not to recommend them the political decision or the subsequent one to recommend them?  All decisions have at least an element of politics in them. 

His decision as he quoted was medical and that they could do more harm 

now he has changed his stance and if it is not political why were the masks not compelled 

during the early stages of pandemic look at the mask being worn many people take their mask off and put it in their pocket or bag 

You have people in shops adjusting their masks before during and after their shop

touching goods baskets trolleys Etc while their hands have a possible virus, next time you shop take a look at some people wearing them some are filthy 

30 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Scandalous! This is just the beginning! Between things like this and the care home disaster, how many lives will have been needlessly lost? 

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-heart-england-lifesaving-hospital-treatment.html

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/lockdown-linked-increase-almost-900-22341548

That's ridiculous and needs looked at as a matter of urgency.

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

A bit different from what I'm seeing.

Scottish numbers: 20 July 2020

• 7 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

Francis Albert

Why are people surprised that the response to the pandemic is costing lives?. Surely bleeding obvious that if the NHS hospitals are in effect closed to all but Covid 19 patients (and in the case of GP surgeries closed full stop) people will die as a result. It is estimated that 200,000 could die (like all estimates including forecasts of Covid19 deaths the word " could" is significant) as a result of a renewed lock down due to deaths from other diseases and ilnesses but also because of the impact of recession. There was always a good chance the cure could be worse than the disease in the case of Covid 19. 

17 minutes ago, graygo said:

A bit different from what I'm seeing.

Scottish numbers: 20 July 2020

• 7 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

mona lifted from the Scotsman 

18 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Why are people surprised that the response to the pandemic is costing lives?. Surely bleeding obvious that if the NHS hospitals are in effect closed to all but Covid 19 patients (and in the case of GP surgeries closed full stop) people will die as a result. It is estimated that 200,000 could die (like all estimates including forecasts of Covid19 deaths the word " could" is significant) as a result of a renewed lock down due to deaths from other diseases and ilnesses but also because of the impact of recession. There was always a good chance the cure could be worse than the disease in the case of Covid 19. 

Usual patronising, antagonistic post from you.

Where has anyone said they are surprised?

Words used were scandalous and ridiculous.

If the arbitration tribunal goes against Hearts not many will be surprised but will still call it scandalous and ridiculous.

Hitchens is a libertarian and has hung his hat early on the impact of Covid-19 being overstated and that a lockdown had no benefits to stopping the virus at all, indeed that it caused more harm.

He's been consistent in his view but as far as I can see, is very selective in his evidence and doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would hold his hands up and admit he got it wrong if evidence changed. 

He's continually banged on about Sweden being no worse than us but I haven't seen him compare them to other Scandinavian countries and when New Zealand and Japan are mentioned regarding Lockdowns and Face Masks, he points out other factors like not being an international flight hub or the health of the elderly.

I don't see the same approach adopted when he compares Sweden and the UK.

There may very well be merit in some of his arguments  but would like to see him debate with an epidemiologist/medical expert who is in favour of lockdown and face masks, rather than a host on Talk Radio, which is the only place I've seen his views challenged.

Francis Albert
28 minutes ago, graygo said:

Usual patronising, antagonistic post from you.

Where has anyone said they are surprised?

Words used were scandalous and ridiculous.

If the arbitration tribunal goes against Hearts not many will be surprised but will still call it scandalous and ridiculous.

OK why scandalous ? Why ridiculous? When it is an obvious and predicted consequence  of actions taken?

(I think if you are scandalised you are probably somewhat surprised ... but knowing how easily some are "scandalised" maybe not) 

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Hitchens is a libertarian and has hung his hat early on the impact of Covid-19 being overstated and that a lockdown had no benefits to stopping the virus at all, indeed that it caused more harm.

He's been consistent in his view but as far as I can see, is very selective in his evidence and doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would hold his hands up and admit he got it wrong if evidence changed. 

He's continually banged on about Sweden being no worse than us but I haven't seen him compare them to other Scandinavian countries and when New Zealand and Japan are mentioned regarding Lockdowns and Face Masks, he points out other factors like not being an international flight hub or the health of the elderly.

I don't see the same approach adopted when he compares Sweden and the UK.

There may very well be merit in some of his arguments  but would like to see him debate with an epidemiologist/medical expert who is in favour of lockdown and face masks, rather than a host on Talk Radio, which is the only place I've seen his views challenged.

My point is why say masks are necessary now and Dr Hilary gave reasons why they could cause more harm than good,and why  not necessary when the pandemic was at its height 

There is more chance now of catching something from people wearing masks just watch 

Some shoppers Take Them out  their pockets or bags to apply before entering the shops and then doing the reverse and onwards to next shop or pub/restaurant

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I hope you've recovered from the hardship you endured. It must have been extremely harrowing. I will pray for you. 

giphy.gif

Nothing to recover from, as there was no hardship, just a bit unnecessary having to wear a face mask for 20 yrds imo.

OmiyaHearts

I was talking to a workmate in Newcastle today, I've just returned to working from the office again as well.

He told me his local ASDA has removed all distancing signs, marks on the ground and hand sanitiser over the weekend. No restrictions on the number of people who can enter. He said most people in his area just consider it done and even some pubs not bothering about safety measures. 

I enjoy the set up of bars and restaurants in Glasgow. Like being out and having some space sit and enjoy my food and drink, table service and not squeezing into queues at a bar. Off to Doner Haus tonight with the wife for a stein and a kebap! 

Things looking more promising.

A breakthrough in treatment as well as a few vaccines doing what is needed. Now to scale up and if results are still good then I’ll possibly see you all at a packed Tynecastle later this year. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

OK why scandalous ? Why ridiculous? When it is an obvious and predicted consequence  of actions taken?

(I think if you are scandalised you are probably somewhat surprised ... but knowing how easily some are "scandalised" maybe not) 

plenty were keen for lockdowns to continue and were very nervous of opening up too soon etc 

obviously had more than half-an-eye on the adverse affects and had that all factored-in

davemclaren
1 hour ago, samgolden said:

My point is why say masks are necessary now and Dr Hilary gave reasons why they could cause more harm than good,and why  not necessary when the pandemic was at its height 

There is more chance now of catching something from people wearing masks just watch 

Some shoppers Take Them out  their pockets or bags to apply before entering the shops and then doing the reverse and onwards to next shop or pub/restaurant

avoid touching other peoples’ facemasks. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nothing to recover from, as there was no hardship, just a bit unnecessary having to wear a face mask for 20 yrds imo.

Thank feck for that! I'm glad that small inconvenience to your meal hasn't left you mentally scared. 

The Power of God! 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic