Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I phoned my surgery about a month ago and made an appointment and went and saw a doctor in the surgery in person, at least I think he was a person. 

Strange but true. 

Lucky you.

We've had to do with phone calls since March.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy

Just watching  the STV 6 oclock news .  THere is an item regarding the Lanarkshire call centre. I think around 13 ( i think) people tested positive from there.   Anyway a remote testing unit has been sent to it and i think a few 100 people being tested. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has been infected just to see how infectious it is ?  Hopefully no one else. 

jack D and coke
34 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

👍 you noticing a difference with the amount of folk in town now mate? Just the last week I have seen a change in numbers. Much more folk about now. Surprised at the numbers of tourists here already. 

Aye it’s picking up mate defo since I went back to work about 6-7 weeks ago that’s for sure. That’s mad there’s tourists here I hadn’t thought they’d be back so soon.  
Im just enjoying the roads, amazing haha👌🏼

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Once the truth is out you'll be the one that's embarassed, franco. :(

I know, I'm still waiting to see one of these up close UFO photos that isn't blurred too. :lol:

18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Aye it’s picking up mate defo since I went back to work about 6-7 weeks ago that’s for sure. That’s mad there’s tourists here I hadn’t thought they’d be back so soon.  
Im just enjoying the roads, amazing haha👌🏼

I went into town for the first time since the end of March yesterday and the roads are great. I’ve never had such a trouble free trip on the bike along Dalry Road and through Haymarket and up Lothian Road in my life. Still a decent amount of cars about but nowhere near as sketchy as usual. 

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I went into town for the first time since the end of March yesterday and the roads are great. I’ve never had such a trouble free trip on the bike along Dalry Road and through Haymarket and up Lothian Road in my life. Still a decent amount of cars about but nowhere near as sketchy as usual. 

The sheriffhall roundabout is back to pre covid levels. I was tailed back to just about the A1 yesterday.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

What are the UK figures that back this up? I'm seeing something very different indeed, 295,817 confirmed cases, 45,422 covid deaths.

Not trying to argue, just want to know where it's coming from because I make that 15%, which is as mentally high as your figure seems mentally low.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

What are the UK figures that back this up? I'm seeing something very different indeed, 295,817 confirmed cases, 45,422 covid deaths.

Not trying to argue, just want to know where it's coming from because I make that 15%, which is as mentally high as your figure seems mentally low.

Mental is a very apt word on this thread.

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Mental is a very apt word on this thread.

:laugh2: Well thats certainly true

21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I wouldn't worry about the intricacies of the calculations, the author has admitted that he didn't  bother either.

Unknown user
Just now, fancy a brew said:

I wouldn't worry about the intricacies of the calculations, the author has admitted that he didn't  bother either.

Jesus.

And that's why you apply critical thinking kids.

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

Just in case anyone else missed it at the start of the briefing, she's just confirmed it another twice that it was for NHS ENGLAND. 

Did they contract it down the phone line or via an app? But she's not playing politics. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Did they contract it down the phone line or via an app? But she's not playing politics. 

Isn't the actual implication that Scotland's track and trace system is unaffected?

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Isn't the actual implication that Scotland's track and trace system is unaffected?

Ha ha aye, that'll be it. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I know, I'm still waiting to see one of these up close UFO photos that isn't blurred too. :lol:

Leave the aliens out of it, frank, this is serious. :(

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ha ha aye, that'll be it. 

Its a broadcast aimed at Scottish people about how the covid thing's going. Its relevant information surely.

Let's be clear about this, while covid-19 isn't bubonic plague it's not flu either. Anybody who believes for a moment that governments the whole world over deliberately severely damaged their economies for something that wasn't a severe threat is even more stupid than they are claiming these governments to be.

27 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Let's be clear about this, while covid-19 isn't bubonic plague it's not flu either. Anybody who believes for a moment that governments the whole world over deliberately severely damaged their economies for something that wasn't a severe threat is even more stupid than they are claiming these governments to be.

It's the perfect scam.

Phase 1: Lockdown and damage the economy

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit!

400px-Spgnomes.PNG

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, not a great share from me!

A good article here from The Washington post on fatality rates. All of these rates are speculation given we dont actually know how many have been/are infected.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-deadly-is-covid-19-researchers-are-getting-closer-to-an-answer-11595323801

This is also gives a bit of perspective ..(It is based on USA stats)

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Its a broadcast aimed at Scottish people about how the covid thing's going. Its relevant information surely.

The point is really why mention it in those terms at all. Its a call centre. They could be talking about anything on the phone. 

If she'd moved to reassure the listeners/viewers that there was no impact on tracing in Scotland  then fair enough. 

At the start of this thing it was refreshing  to see politicians  of all persuasions genuinely  set aside party politics.  That was ditched a long time ago. Despite what Sturgoen says to the contrary. 

52 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's the perfect scam.

Phase 1: Lockdown and damage the economy

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit!

400px-Spgnomes.PNG

Yep, and the entire world put aside their differences to join in on the scam/hoax. North Korea, all the middle eastern states such as Iran etc, Iran even faked mass burial pits to bolster the hoax.

The Arabs all put aside their generations long grievances with Israel to co-operate on the hoax because Israel is in on it too. They all agreed to put hundreds of millions of cars off the road and ground aircraft crashing oil requirements.

All for, well I don't know what. But i'm sure some reputable (hehe) conspiracy website with inside info on all of the worlds nations we don't have  access to will have figured out the details of how all this is desirable.

Governor Tarkin

Are there any side-splittingly derogatory memes for all the folk who don't think that this covid lark is a lizard space jew conspiracy but who are nevertheless quite keen to get back to some kind of normality now that, by Toutatis, the sky hasn't fallen on their heads?

Edited by Governor Tarkin

21 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Are there any side-splittingly derogatory memes for all the folk who don't think that this covid lark is a lizard space jew conspiracy but who are nevertheless quite keen to get back to some kind of normality now that, by Toutatis, the sky hasn't fallen on their heads?

You want a meme for everybody? You don't think everybody wishes this had never happened and wishes we could get back to normality? There's a realistic chance we may never get back to pre-covid normality or at least not for years to come. There is no magic back to normality switch to be flicked.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, weehammy said:

But the Greens have forced the SNP to ditch the planned over/underpass as a condition for helping them get their budget through.

Very good for the environment to have long queues of stationary traffic pumping out fumes!

Probably causing more COVID-19 infections a well.😉

Mad Nicola oot:lol:

You are a sad case.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

You want a meme for everybody? You don't think everybody wishes this had never happened and wishes we could get back to normality? There's a realistic chance we may never get back to pre-covid normality or at least not for years to come. There is no magic back to normality switch to be flicked.

covid will and already is becoming just another in a long list of diseases which are dangerous to people with relevant susceptibilities 

hopefully improvement in treatments etc will come but there’s no way the world is stopping for much longer for a disease which appears not to have any particularly special clubs in its bag (in its current form)

emphasis is shifting and will do more to the individuals to take precautions - hopefully with some help from the authorities 

the drama which caused the lockdowns (rightly in some cases) is over

most governments appear to just want to move on but politically it’s difficult for obvious. reasons - much easier when 10s of thousands are dying decade after decade of flu but limited graphs of that on football forums etc

Scotland is in danger of saving 1 life on the tv and losing 2 off it - well intentioned or political it appears to be a genuine risk

19 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

covid will and already is becoming just another in a long list of diseases which are dangerous to people with relevant susceptibilities 

hopefully improvement in treatments etc will come but there’s no way the world is stopping for much longer for a disease which appears not to have any particularly special clubs in its bag (in its current form)

emphasis is shifting and will do more to the individuals to take precautions - hopefully with some help from the authorities 

the drama which caused the lockdowns (rightly in some cases) is over

most governments appear to just want to move on but politically it’s difficult for obvious. reasons - much easier when 10s of thousands are dying decade after decade of flu but limited graphs of that on football forums etc

Scotland is in danger of saving 1 life on the tv and losing 2 off it - well intentioned or political it appears to be a genuine risk

Let's start with the obvious, this is one for the history books. We're living through a historic world changing event. And once the world is changed in such a manner there is no stepping back into yesterday.

In advanced countries like Britain this isn't just another disease that may afflict people, it's not cancer. It's a highly infectious pathogen which is exactly why after beginning in one Chinese city it quickly spread around the globe. That's one factor in the unprecedented global response to it.

Another factor is that expert opinion thinks it's at least 10 times more fatal than flu possibly up to 50 times. It's too new to be certain of the exact percentages. And while it kills more in the elderly age bracket so does flu, but covid also kills far more people across younger age brackets than flu does.

COVID-19: There have been approximately 610,560 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 140,909 people have died of COVID-19, as of July 21, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Think how much greater those covid numbers would be if no lockdowns had been implemented all around the world. 

Just one example of the fatality potential across all age ranges is the Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm, it killed him at 34 years old. Flu rarely does that to anyone so relatively young and otherwise healthy.

This cannot on any level regarding it's potential danger to the health of people across all age ranges be compared to flu. And that's just the immediate threat, we don't know yet what the long term effects may be.

This isn't going to just disappear no matter how many times the orange buffoon Trump says it will. It's more likely to become endemic and blight us permanently.

There appear to be promising trials going on with vaccines but that probably wont help for months at a minimum and perhaps longer. Then even when a vaccine has been produced the virus has already in it's short lifespan demonstrated a propensity to mutate.

Thankfully not to a more deadly strain but there's been evidence to suggest it did mutate to an even more infectious strain. If it continues mutating which presumably it will then we could find ourselves in a position where the vaccine currently being developed isn't even effective for the new strain. That's why we need a new flu vaccine every year.

We may need to get used to the idea that this thing is likely to be affecting our everyday lives for years to come. I don't know if full lockdown would be implemented again, perhaps not.

But I do know that specific localities/cities around the globe such as Melbourne in Australia have been exiting lockdown then going back into it.

Again, if anyone thinks they would do that for flu they're being idiotically absurd. This is not flu, it's nothing like flu, and it helps nothing to try pretending otherwise.

Now I don't know how we're going to dig ourselves out of this shit hole, no one does yet. I do know whining about getting back to normality like a  child who has just been told the Xmas party is cancelled is futile.

There is no easy way out of this for the foreseeable future. At a bare minimum some form of social distancing plus mask use may just become a fact of life for a long time to come. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Let's start with the obvious, this is one for the history books. We're living through a historic world changing event. And once the world is changed in such a manner there is no stepping back into yesterday.

In advanced countries like Britain this isn't just another disease that may afflict people, it's not cancer. It's a highly infectious pathogen which is exactly why after beginning in one Chinese city it quickly spread around the globe. That's one factor in the unprecedented global response to it.

Another factor is that expert opinion thinks it's at least 10 times more fatal than flu possibly up to 50 times. It's too new to be certain of the exact percentages. And while it kills more in the elderly age bracket so does flu, but covid also kills far more people across younger age brackets than flu does.

Think how much greater those covid numbers would be if no lockdowns had been implemented all around the world. 

Just one example of the fatality potential across all age ranges is the Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm, it killed him at 34 years old. Flu rarely does that to anyone so relatively young and otherwise healthy.

This cannot on any level regarding it's potential danger to the health of people across all age ranges be compared to flu. And that's just the immediate threat, we don't know yet what the long term effects may be.

This isn't going to just disappear no matter how many times the orange buffoon Trump says it will. It's more likely to become endemic and blight us permanently.

There appear to be promising trials going on with vaccines but that probably wont help for months at a minimum and perhaps longer. Then even when a vaccine has been produced the virus has already in it's short lifespan demonstrated a propensity to mutate.

Thankfully not to a more deadly strain but there's been evidence to suggest it did mutate to an even more infectious strain. If it continues mutating which presumably it will then we could find ourselves in a position where the vaccine currently being developed isn't even effective for the new strain. That's why we need a new flu vaccine every year.

We may need to get used to the idea that this thing is likely to be affecting our everyday lives for years to come. I don't know if full lockdown would be implemented again, perhaps not.

But I do know that specific localities/cities around the globe such as Melbourne in Australia have been exiting lockdown then going back into it.

Again, if anyone thinks they would do that for flu they're being idiotically absurd. This is not flu, it's nothing like flu, and it helps nothing to try pretending otherwise.

Now I don't know how we're going to dig ourselves out of this shit hole, no one does yet. I do know whining about getting back to normality like a  child who has just been told the Xmas party is cancelled is futile.

There is no easy way out of this for the foreseeable future. At a bare minimum some form of social distancing plus mask use may just become a fact of life for a long time to come. 

I normally ignore posts that refer to it as a pathogen but in this case I’ll make an exception

with respect when I read your reply just makes me think you don’t understand what’s going on

would insightful if you could

1 - provide proper stats showing covid’s adverse affect on the young healthy population - basically the engine room of the future of the human race - proper stats not something that shows its worse than flu or some other disease - something that shows its a significant threat to the young healthy population

2 - if this is about saving lives - why aren’t we all taxed to a level of zero (or negative) disposable income with that extra money going to health services which could save significant numbers of lives through better services and better research and development

3 - while people continue to die and in some cases numbers are rising why is the general removal of lockdown continuing - again it doesn’t make sense (if you don’t understand what’s going on) for theme parks etc to be continuing to open as numbers start to rise - why do you think removal of widespread lockdown is continuing?? 

3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I normally ignore posts that refer to it as a pathogen but in this case I’ll make an exception

with respect when I read your reply just makes me think you don’t understand what’s going on

would insightful if you could

1 - provide proper stats showing covid’s adverse affect on the young healthy population - basically the engine room of the future of the human race - proper stats not something that shows its worse than flu or some other disease - something that shows its a significant threat to the young healthy population

2 - if this is about saving lives - why aren’t we all taxed to a level of zero (or negative) disposable income with that extra money going to health services which could save significant numbers of lives through better services and better research and development

3 - while people continue to die and in some cases numbers are rising why is the general removal of lockdown continuing - again it doesn’t make sense (if you don’t understand what’s going on) for theme parks etc to be continuing to open as numbers start to rise - why do you think removal of widespread lockdown is continuing?? 

1 - Go read for yourself, I can't be bothered scouring the internet for you. If you can't see how many people in younger age brackets it's been killing where have you been?

You never heard of the Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm? You think it's just a coincidence it killed the 34 year old man who discovered it? Just a coincidence it's killed young healthy nurses exposed to it in the UK? You seriously think flu would have killed these people?

If you want to pretend this isn't happening be my guest. But it will carry right on being what it is which is exactly why people in high places with detailed expert advice are taking it more seriously than someone like you who has nothing like such resources to draw on.

You apparently feel qualified to question their judgement. I don't feel that qualified. 

It's a deadly highly infectious disease killing people across all age brackets at a rate far greater than flu. It's already almost matched the upper estimate for flu in a year and over twice the lower estimate. That's despite the fact the entire world locked down.

The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year.

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year

Coronavirus and COVID-19: Younger Adults Are at Risk, Too

2 - I don't know, i'm not in government. And if you know what's being spent on research and development you know more than I do. I read that billions have been fed into it from a global fund.

3 - Again, I don't know as i'm not in government.

All I know is what I posted. Nothing but opinion derived from expert opinion and facts such as the reinstatement of lockdown in the likes of Melbourne.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

1 - Go read for yourself, I can't be bothered scouring the internet for you. If you can't see how many people in younger age brackets it's been killing where have you been?

You never heard of the Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm? You think it's just a coincidence it killed the 34 year old man who discovered it? Just a coincidence it's killed young healthy nurses exposed to it in the UK? You seriously think flu would have killed these people?

If you want to pretend this isn't happening be my guest. But it will carry right on being what it is which is exactly why people in high places with detailed expert advice are taking it more seriously than someone like you who has nothing like such resources to draw on.

You apparently feel qualified to question their judgement. I don't feel that qualified. 

It's a deadly highly infectious disease killing people across all age brackets at a rate far greater than flu. It's already almost matched the upper estimate for flu in a year and over twice the lower estimate. That's despite the fact the entire world locked down.

The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year.

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year

Coronavirus and COVID-19: Younger Adults Are at Risk, Too

2 - I don't know, i'm not in government. And if you know what's being spent on research and development you know more than I do. I read that billions have been fed into it from a global fund.

3 - Again, I don't know as i'm not in government.

All I know is what I posted. Nothing but opinion derived from expert opinion and facts such as the reinstatement of lockdown in the likes of Melbourne.

so no proper stats on covid versus young healthy population - why are you continuing to compare to flu? It’s about how significant the threat is to the young healthy population - if you are correct that flu isn’t (don’t know if that’s true or not) covid could be much worse than flu and still not be a significant threat to the young healthy population

I don’t know how many young healthy people it has killed and more to the point I wouldn’t know if that’s a big number or not versus for example bee stings, jogging, cancer, heart issues - I’m not claiming covid to be game changer, I thought you were so I was asking for back-up to your insight which I assumed you had

i’m not questioning their judgement in fact I agree that there was a need for a lockdown and I agree that it has done its job (maybe not the job you think it was meant to do) and it’s time to carefully unlock - what’s makes you think I’m pretending it’s not happening? 

for 2 & 3 - do you really need to be in government or have the privilege of low-level data to have an opinion on them 

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

so no proper stats on covid versus young healthy population - why are you continuing to compare to flu? It’s about how significant the threat is to the young healthy population - if you are correct that flu isn’t (don’t know if that’s true or not) covid could be much worse than flu and still not be a significant threat to the young healthy population

I don’t know how many young healthy people it has killed and more to the point I wouldn’t know if that’s a big number or not versus for example bee stings, jogging, cancer, heart issues - I’m not claiming covid to be game changer, I thought you were so I was asking for back-up to your insight which I assumed you had

i’m not questioning their judgement in fact I agree that there was a need for a lockdown and I agree that it has done its job (maybe not the job you think it was meant to do) and it’s time to carefully unlock - what’s makes you think I’m pretending it’s not happening? 

for 2 & 3 - do you really need to be in government or have the privilege of low-level data to have an opinion on them 

Believe what you want but it's nothing but belief based on nothing.

As Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and others have said, COVID-19 is deadlier than the flu. It’s deadlier for young adults. It’s deadlier for older adults. 

I will believe him before I believe you. And I don't offer opinions i'm not qualified to form. Which is what you appear to be doing.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Believe what you want but it's nothing but belief based on nothing.

I will believe him before I believe you. And I don't offer opinions i'm not qualified to form. Which is what you appear to be doing.

more flu comparisons there’s probably lots of things more deadly than flu - I’m not even disagreeing with you on this - I genuinely don’t know so will just accept it to be true - being deadlier than flu doesn’t necessarily change the world though outside the short-term

never heard of this Dr Fauci guy - probably qualified years ago and well out of touch probably still uses leeches - I’ve kept my finger on the pulse via the experts on here and a couple of you-tube videos so I’m bang up-to-date qualified up to the max legit

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

more flu comparisons there’s probably lots of things more deadly than flu - I’m not even disagreeing with you on this - I genuinely don’t know so will just accept it to be true - being deadlier than flu doesn’t necessarily change the world though outside the short-term

never heard of this Dr Fauci guy - probably qualified years ago and well out of touch probably still uses leeches - I’ve kept my finger on the pulse via the experts on here and a couple of you-tube videos so I’m bang up-to-date qualified up to the max legit

If you have never heard of Fauci I have no idea where you have been. That alone questions where you get anything at all from. You just made yourself a bit of a laughing stock on that one.

I see the line between legitimate suspension and rampant paranoia has blurred in the crayon shop of reality. 

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

There is no magic back to normality switch to be flicked.

Thanks for clearing that up. 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I think the biggest danger catching Covid for the young & healthy isn't dying from Covid but being left with long-term maybe even life-long disabilities.

There are more and more cases all over the World amongst what would be considered the young (20 to 40's) who after getting what they thought was a mild dose of Covid starting to develop serious heart, lung, kidney, brain conditions and there is an alarming increase of strokes in younger people.

The real long-term effects won't be known for some time, for obvious reasons, but the early signs are quite disturbing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I see the line between legitimate suspension and rampant paranoia has blurred in the crayon shop of reality. 

This closet Trump lover character is approaching Snoreson levels of tiresomely patronising drama-queenerie. 

Dizzy heights indeed.

Weakened Offender
6 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Lots to be working on here. 

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I prefer reading the stats on this “ deadly “ disease than the inane ramblings of some on this . 

354B6795-7FA1-4FA4-B0D4-0C0477DCCDAF.jpeg

Walter Bishop

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) today revealed three times as many people are being killed by flu and pneumonia compared to covid-19.

Edited by Walter Bishop

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) today revealed three times as many people are being killed by flu and pneumonia compared to covid-19.

Thank goodness for lockdown

Francis Albert

The Office of National Statisics reported (in response to an FOI request) 44,240 deaths year to date from flu and pneumonia (where Covid was not mentioned) as at 1st May. About the same as Covid to date.over a similar period of time.Did this make the front page of any paper or feature in any news bulletin?

Covid 19 is not flu as some obsessively tell us. But is there just possibly some slight loss of perspective here? 

Edited by Francis Albert

33 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The Office of National Statisics reported (in response to an FOI request) 44,240 deaths year to date from flu and pneumonia (where Covid was not mentioned) as at 1st May. About the same as Covid to date.over a similar period of time.Did this make the front page of any paper or feature in any news bulletin?

Covid 19 is not flu as some obsessively tell us. But is there just possibly some slight loss of perspective here? 

Look at the graph above. Covid was absolutely rocketing way above flu levels before we locked down.

Can you post a link to that source of 44k flu deaths in 4 months? 

Edited by Ray Gin

Walter Bishop
59 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Thank goodness for lockdown

For destroying so many lives and our economy?

As Chris Whitty confirmed today, the virus was in retreat way before full lockdown was in place. The fall out will bring harm and cost thousands of lives for years.

Walter Bishop
19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Look at the graph above. Covid was absolutely rocketing way above flu levels before we locked down.

How many deaths were caused by puting ill people into nursing homes? 20/30,000? How many deaths were recorded because someone had tested positive at some point with Covid but died because they were hit by a bus or had a heart attack? 

The whole thing has been a scandal from start to finish. 

Just now, Walter Bishop said:

For destroying so many lives and our economy?

As Chris Whitty confirmed today, the virus was in retreat way before full lockdown was in place. The fall out will bring harm and cost thousands of lives for years.

For saving so many lives. Tens of thousands of people are still alive today thanks to lockdown.

As for Whitty, look at the graph above. UK locked down on 23 March. Cases were still going up well into April. In retreat my arse.

Francis Albert
31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Your fellow doom-monger JFK1 got away with "look it up for youself" but I'll try to be more helpful.

Google "UK deaths by influenza by age group in 2020." and you should get a link to "Influenza Search Office for National Statistics" which lists a number of reports - yuu want the latest one in response to an FOI request dated 15th May. Let me know if you can't find it and I will recheck my route to it.

In the graph above which you refer me to. it is the area under the graph that you need to look at and that seems consistent with the number of deaths from Covid 19 and Flu/pneumonia being roughly comparable from the beginning of the year. Certainly not anywhere different enough to justify the difference in response and publicity. 

All deaths matter after all!

Edited by Francis Albert

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Your fellow doom-monger JFK1 got away with "look it up for youself" but I'll try to be more helpful.

Google "UK deaths by influenza by age group in 2020." and you should get a link to "Influenza Search Office for National Statistics" which lists a number of reports - yuu want the latest one in response to an FOI request dated 15th May. Let me know if you can't find it and I will recheck my route to it.

In the graph above which you refer me to. it is the area under the graph that you need to look at and that seems consistent with the number of deaths from Covid 19 and Flu/pneumonia being roughly comparable from the beginning of the year. Certainly not anywhere different enough to justify the difference in response and publicity. 

All deaths matter after all!

If the figure is indeed over 44k in 4 months, that is unprecedented as the average since 2015 is around 17k for a year. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-does-the-coronavirus-death-rate-compare-with-flu-and-how-long-will-the-outbreak-last-tlpnwxg89?wgu=270525_16644_15954281713448_3e7ca98140&wgexpiry=1603204171&utm_source=planit&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=4551

Makes the lockdown extra worthwhile for a flu/covid double whammy.

If you look at that graph and don't see how Covid was spiralling out of control before lockdown then there's no hope for you.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic