Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

49 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

In hindsight it was, but to be fair to the decision makers, they were shitting themselves over the NHS becoming rapidly swamped by covid cases. I would say that the unprepardeness of the care home sector that they were sent back to was the weak link.

Considering the state of the care home system, with many care homes barely getting by and unable (or unwilling) to spend what needed to be spent and staffed mostly be agency placements who travel from home to home and ended up spreading Covid-19 around with them, it was never going to work.

Perhaps the care home sector will end up being more tightly regulated or even nationalised after this fatal fiasco.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CavySlaveJambo
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

China didn't have any deaths from their 2nd cluster of cases.

It is China. The same country that allowed a novel virus to spread around the world for 6-7 weeks without alerting anyone. 

Also ICUs are teaching capacity in some states and hospitals again. Including the largest hospital in Texas. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

29 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Totally agree, although there was only me and one other person wearing one in home bargains yesterday morning.

It pisses you off that you are going to the trouble and other people don't give a toss

The other people should've been denied access to the services of Home Bargains. But, some folk don't do it deliberately, they just don't have the mental capability to follow basic safety instructions, these people are dangerous ☣️ Give them a triple wide berth the next time and watch the confusion contort their glaikit puses even more.

Just now, OBE said:

The other people should've been denied access to the services of Home Bargains. But, some folk don't do it deliberately, they just don't have the mental capability to follow basic safety instructions, these people are dangerous ☣️ Give them a triple wide berth the next time and watch the confusion contort their glaikit puses even more.

it is not a requirement to wear one in a shop

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

it is not a requirement to wear one in a shop

Some **** moved the goals again?

1 minute ago, OBE said:

Some **** moved the goals again?

it is only on public transport you need to wear one. unless the SG have different rules to england

Just now, milky_26 said:

it is only on public transport you need to wear one. unless the SG have different rules to england

Enclosed public spaces...

Ok.

I'm reading about face masks that contradict their effectiveness .

All arguments seem sound.

For instance a 3m mask will stop concrete dust not sure about asbestos.

But a virus is much smaller.

It eeduces the risk though as it traps some of the virus.

Then there are what most  are wearing surgical rates masks.

Made for a sterile environments.

Easily clogged and only useable like 3m masks for a few hours.

Versus depleted oxygen intake higher blood pressure and inhalation of toxins.

I know it's been the advice and I wear one in shops.

But I do feel a bit more stressed so indicative of blood pressure.

And through work I know how stifling 3m masks are.

But I do question the relative risk .

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

got a link to that

You should shop locally if you can.  For now, use the five mile limit as a guide – and don’t travel further, unless it’s absolutely necessary.  I appreciate that for people living in rural or island communities, it might not be possible to stick to that kind of limit – but for most of us, it should be, and it is perhaps an opportunity to support our local shops in the process as well.

You should try to shop on you own – or in as small a group as possible.  And avoid going to crowded shops at peak times – choose a time when the shops are likely to be less busy. 

When you do go into a shop, please wear a face covering.  That’s something that we are advising you strongly to do.     

I wore a face covering this morning, when I visited New Look.  So I know that it takes a bit of getting used to. But you do get used to it.

And the hard fact is that a bit of discomfort - which none of us enjoy - is preferable to getting COVID or passing it on to someone else. 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Although the infections are shooting up in the USA again, the death rate is averaging at 600 a day. The last time the infections were that high they were averaging 2200 a day.

Maybe another sign that the virus is not as deadly as it was in March and April, or maybe the doctors understand it more and are able to treat it better

Probably more a case that the most vulnerable were caught out in the first wave, and in the latest wave, there is a lower proportion of highly vulnerable people left in the population, so the death rate is lower.  All the data points to the fact that the virus is not that deadly to fit and healthy people and that the most at risk are the elderly and people with other serous underlying health issues.  Vitamin D deficiency is also a factor, as Vitamin D is vital to the immune system, and given that for most people, their biggest source of Vitamin D is sunlight, then locking people indoors is counter productive.

2 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Probably more a case that the most vulnerable were caught out in the first wave, and in the latest wave, there is a lower proportion of highly vulnerable people left in the population, so the death rate is lower.  All the data points to the fact that the virus is not that deadly to fit and healthy people and that the most at risk are the elderly and people with other serous underlying health issues.  Vitamin D deficiency is also a factor, as Vitamin D is vital to the immune system, and given that for most people, their biggest source of Vitamin D is sunlight, then locking people indoors is counter productive.

Probably more down to shielding rather than not being any high risk people being left

26 minutes ago, OBE said:

You should shop locally if you can.  For now, use the five mile limit as a guide – and don’t travel further, unless it’s absolutely necessary.  I appreciate that for people living in rural or island communities, it might not be possible to stick to that kind of limit – but for most of us, it should be, and it is perhaps an opportunity to support our local shops in the process as well.

You should try to shop on you own – or in as small a group as possible.  And avoid going to crowded shops at peak times – choose a time when the shops are likely to be less busy. 

When you do go into a shop, please wear a face covering.  That’s something that we are advising you strongly to do.     

I wore a face covering this morning, when I visited New Look.  So I know that it takes a bit of getting used to. But you do get used to it.

And the hard fact is that a bit of discomfort - which none of us enjoy - is preferable to getting COVID or passing it on to someone else. 

Livescience reports conflicting evidence on face masks.

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Apparently the retail industry “Resisted.” enforcing it.

The SG should have made it mandatory.

Thing with that is I have yet to walk into supermarket where majority of staff are wearing them!!

1 minute ago, jake said:

Livescience reports conflicting evidence on face masks.

Aye, you've said before...genuinely appreciated...:thumbs_up:

1 minute ago, OBE said:

Aye, you've said before...genuinely appreciated...:thumbs_up:

Have I?

Sorry .

Hadnt realised just reading the posts on face masks.

Chatting to my neighbour on WhatsApp about police and how strict they are in Spain (Tenerife)  compared to the U.K. 

is comment was “Three English arrived in Spain no masks in taxi 1000 fine each they don't mess here“ 
If we are/were really serious about beating this virus then we should have adopted the same attitude and level of fines. IMO 

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Apparently the retail industry “Resisted.” enforcing it.

The SG should have made it mandatory.

Just adds to the murk.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Thing with that is I have yet to walk into supermarket where majority of staff are wearing them!!

That’s true.

Maybe that’s the reason it wasn’t enforced as they would’ve had to instruct staff to wear them.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Chatting to my neighbour on WhatsApp about police and how strict they are in Spain (Tenerife)  compared to the U.K. 

is comment was “Three English arrived in Spain no masks in taxi 1000 fine each they don't mess here“ 
If we are/were really serious about beating this virus then we should have adopted the same attitude and level of fines. IMO 

Too soft here.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Perhaps the care home sector will end up being more tightly regulated or even nationalised after this fatal fiasco.

I really hope so. 

Went to the zoo today, it was nice to get out and about again. Inside exhibits not open and social distancing encouraged with one ways systems in narrower areas etc. Slowly feeling things are getting back to normal albeit a slightly different normal

8 minutes ago, steve123 said:

It’s optional in most stores. Masks are available for staff who want them. 

2 minutes ago, jake said:

Have I?

Sorry .

Hadnt realised just reading the posts on face masks.

You posted some interesting technical stuff a wee while ago referencing the different types of masks and their performances. I can remember, I was sober...:thumbsup:

Just now, Dannie Boy said:

It’s optional in most stores. Masks are available for staff who want them. 

Yea but the majority from what I have seen don't, if the supermakets wanted it to be mandatory you would have thought they would be championing with there own staff !!

1 minute ago, OBE said:

You posted some interesting technical stuff a wee while ago referencing the different types of masks and their performances. I can remember, I was sober...:thumbsup:

😄 

I'm even repeating myself on here.

Just now, steve123 said:

Yea but the majority from what I have seen don't, if the supermakets wanted it to be mandatory you would have thought they would be championing with there own staff !!

I agree. 

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that could be the most dangerous time, because complacency can set in, and before we know it, bang...........back to square one.

Got to stay focused for a wee while longer.

At what level will people start to relax a bit with the virus?  We are sitting at zero deaths daily and a handful of new infections, is it ever going to get any lower than that in our lifetime again? I don’t believe it will. 

CavySlaveJambo
1 minute ago, Shanks said:

At what level will people start to relax a bit with the virus?  We are sitting at zero deaths daily and a handful of new infections, is it ever going to get any lower than that in our lifetime again? I don’t believe it will. 

We are on track to Eliminate the virus from Scotland. And by the end of summer.  

17 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

What was the Taxi drivers % of the 3K? If true, way OTT and unfair.

Edited by OBE

Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

We are on track to Eliminate the virus from Scotland. And by the end of summer.  

We might eliminate community transmission or keep it at a very low level, unfortunately that doesn’t mean the virus is going away.  We can’t close our borders so the virus will always be able to be imported again if we do eliminate it. 

Just now, OBE said:

What was the Taxi drivers % of the 3K? Way OTT!

😂

In fairness you are warned what the laws and expectations are. 

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

😂

***k em then!

2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

the virus will always be able to be imported again

That’s why we need to be mindful when we go about our everyday life. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

😂

Exactly.

Ignorance isn’t an excuse.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Considering the state of the care home system, with many care homes barely getting by and unable (or unwilling) to spend what needed to be spent and staffed mostly be agency placements who travel from home to home and ended up spreading Covid-19 around with them, it was never going to work.

The bit in bold, let's hope so.

To your first point. It was a damned if you do/don't scenario. 

Had the NHS been overwhelmed questions would have been asked about why the required capacity handn't been made available by sending residents back to - or placing those suitable - into a presumably safe care home setting. 

It was a calculated risk that backfired with terrible consequences. Any future inquest will judge the competency of the decision makers, and will likely judge them harshly, but for me the real villains of the piece are the politicians, bureauocrats, and enablers who allowed the private care sector to become more about profit than people.

As a society we need to have a good look at ourselves.

skinnybob72
18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The bit in bold, let's hope so.

To your first point. It was a damned if you do/don't scenario. 

Had the NHS been overwhelmed questions would have been asked about why the required capacity handn't been made available by sending residents back to - or placing those suitable - into a presumably safe care home setting. 

It was a calculated risk that backfired with terrible consequences. Any future inquest will judge the competency of the decision makers, and will likely judge them harshly, but for me the real villains of the piece are the politicians, bureauocrats, and enablers who allowed the private care sector to become more about profit than people.

As a society we need to have a good look at ourselves.

Given that a significant number can't even take their litter home I wouldn't get your hopes up. The mess seen on The Meadows and the likes of Bournemouth Beach are not the result of 'one or two' inconsiderate arseholes but thousands of them. They won't be having a good look at themselves any time soon...

31 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Ignorance isn’t an excuse.

This phrase should be a rule, and one which is adhered to, across the forum.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Given that a significant number can't even take their litter home I wouldn't get your hopes up. The mess seen on The Meadows and the likes of Bournemouth Beach are not the result of 'one or two' inconsiderate arseholes but thousands of them. They won't be having a good look at themselves any time soon...

Correct. Probably the same folk who don't pick up their dogs shit.

I never seem to catch them doing it. Oh how I would love to rub their faces in it

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

This phrase should be a rule, and one which is adhered to, across the forum.

👍

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Shanks said:

We might eliminate community transmission or keep it at a very low level, unfortunately that doesn’t mean the virus is going away.  We can’t close our borders so the virus will always be able to be imported again if we do eliminate it. 

That is why contact tracing and testing will have to be robust.

Imported cases will happen but they can be contained. 

Jambo 4 Ever
9 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Totally agree, although there was only me and one other person wearing one in home bargains yesterday morning.

It pisses you off that you are going to the trouble and other people don't give a toss

As do those ignorant twits who blatantly break the rules on social distancing too

31 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

300 test positive at Rowans food plant in Wales.Rowans employ 1000 staff.

I wonder if these companies are implementing proper PPE and hygiene rules. I would say not.

14 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Deaths lag by 2-3 weeks. So the increase may still come

Numbers in ICU are creeping back up in the last few days 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Numbers in ICU are creeping back up in the last few days 

Is that the UK?

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is that the UK?

Sorry was replying to comments about the USA so no, not the UK AFAIK

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic