Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Some examples of the amazing common sense of the people who "deserve to be treated like adults" in Edinburgh:

EbVh_OdXsAIvnVM?format=jpg&name=large

EbTmPyXX0AA_U6B?format=jpg&name=large

EbSkMwlWoAAWYzY?format=jpg&name=large

Not sure what it is like now in Sweden but I was there in 92 for the Euros.

I remember in Norskopping having a MacDonald's and not being able to find a bin.  (For the packaging, not the meal)

And the place was bloody damn well spotless.

Take your rubbish home you selfish pricks.

Edited by DETTY29

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, graygo said:

So you don't understand why the furlough scheme was rolled out then.

Of course.  I just don't agree with the circumstances.

Although I will say that the cynic in me tells me it is governents ensuring that unemployment figures will not get too much out of control as this is how their tenure will be judged throughout history.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Of course.  I just don't agree with the circumstances.

Although I will say that the cynic in me tells me it is governents ensuring that unemployment figures will not get too much out of control as this is how their tenure will be judged throughout history.

Well why not? You made the big play about how important employment was.

"Jobs are the most important part of any society.  You have a country working and everything will fit in and take care of itself. 

by i8hibsh"

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Good to hear and hope you have the fun you are entitled to.

Have a wine for me.

Cheers 

27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah, I was just thinking out loud really. We can only hope it doesn't take off there at this stage.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Well why not? You made the big play about how important employment was.

"Jobs are the most important part of any society.  You have a country working and everything will fit in and take care of itself. 

by i8hibsh"

You are not getting are you. 

I think the entire lockdown is needless and is far more destructive and dangerous than COVID19 to the UK.

Edited by i8hibsh

Just now, i8hibsh said:

You are not getting are you. 

I think the entire lockdown is needless and is far more destructive and dangerous than COVID19 to the UK.

No, I got what you were saying.

I just disagree with your point of view.

39 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I know people on 100% furlough.  Even to get 80% you are still not too badly off.  

a) you are not at work - woohoo!

b) you are not spending money at work or getting to and from work.

You even get your holiday entitlement.

This is not a dig at thos on furlough as I know it sucks for many of them but it sucks big time to me.  I've worked right through, from my flat which is not suited for it.  I have days where I am so stressed at work and with my environment that I get chest pains.  Whereas some people are getting paid to chill, drink and have family time.

It needs to end now!

How would you end it? By opening everything up 100%? 

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

As you certainly can and as I certainly encourage.

2 minutes ago, The Brow said:

How would you end it? By opening everything up 100%? 

I never said that.

Just throw in a few heaped tablespoons of common sense and a dash of reality.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yep.  Let's see how the US get on ignoring a lockdown.

They are about to be skelped.  Hard.

3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I never said that.

Just throw in a few heaped tablespoons of common sense and a dash of reality.

Aye but to end furlough you would have to get things back to how they were. You cant have massive lay offs on top of what's already happened. 

How do all these folk pay their bills if furlough ends? Do you think they aren't stressing a little over actually having jobs to go back to? 

We currently need a furlough scheme, unfortunately. And we will probably need one for the rest of the year and beyond. They will phase it down I'd imagine but you cant just stop it whilst the country isn't 100% up and running. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Yeah, I was just thinking out loud really. We can only hope it doesn't take off there at this stage.

There’s probably quite a few reasons, researchers are going to have studied to do for years to fully understand all of this, so it can be ignored next time. 

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

So destroying everyone's way of life, taking away their freedoms and peoples livelihoods was the way forward then. 

Aii very good. 

Your generalisations are so ***ked up.

4 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Aye but to end furlough you would have to get things back to how they were. You cant have massive lay offs on top of what's already happened. 

How do all these folk pay their bills if furlough ends? Do you think they aren't stressing a little over actually having jobs to go back to? 

We currently need a furlough scheme, unfortunately. And we will probably need one for the rest of the year and beyond. They will phase it down I'd imagine but you cant just stop it whilst the country isn't 100% up and running. 

😃 What the **** do you think is happening? The country is nearly bankrupt and there are going to be massive lay offs in the coming weeks (already happening). Furlough is ending and Universal credit is the reality for many. If the SG can afford to place a million people on furlough for the rest of the year then good luck to them. It isn't happening UK wide. I'm sorry mate but you sound like lockdown has seriously damaged your reality.

11 minutes ago, The Brow said:

The country is not even 10% up and running.

Your theory is crap as I'm still working from home.

Lockdown sucks but it is necessary. I want to go to the pub and out for meals in restaurants as much as anyone. I'm just not selfish enough to want to do so at the cost of lives.

Lots of things you do/use come at the cost of lives. I'm guessing you drive, fly, use a smartphone, receive deliveries and eat food that's come from the other side of the world? If people really cared about their actions not coming at the cost of lives we'd give up a lot of other things before 'going to the pub' even entered our radar. 

44 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

One of many:

My life being on hold

The deterioration of my relationship

The deterioration of my mental wellbeing

Depression

Not being able to have my knee op (privately)

Working whilst others don't and getting paid for it

Putting on weight

I am drinking more

Boredom

Lack of any freedoms

My civil liberties being compromised

Not seeing my inner circle as much as I would like

Most of those are down to you in fairness. Drink less, eat less and exercise more and you mitigate weight gain, too much drinking, boredom, mental well being and depression.

Edit: that wasn't meant to sound so much like a dig btw. I know it's easier said than done but you always come across as someone who believes people should take responsibility for their actions rather than saying 'woe is me' and a fair few of those things are in your gift to (not eliminate) but reduce the impact of.

Edited by Taffin

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

😃 What the **** do you think is happening? The country is nearly bankrupt and there are going to be massive lay offs in the coming weeks (already happening). Furlough is ending and Universal credit is the reality for many. If the SG can afford to place a million people on furlough for the rest of the year then good luck to them. It isn't happening UK wide. I'm sorry mate but you sound like lockdown has seriously damaged your reality.

What lockdown? Sat in the park all day yesterday having beer with my mates, 30 degrees of gloriousness. All whilst watching every investment I made in March return 50%+. Get it roond ye. 

My point was mainly that you cant suddenly make millions of people unemployed all at once. Im aware of what will happen, which is why I said you will probably need a phased furlough removal. That way you can balance the industries opening up with the amount of staff actually required.

Surely its all about avoiding the big bang unemployment?

I await your next overly aggressive response without a clue as to why you seem to be so agitated. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Most of those are down to you in fairness. Drink less, eat less and exercise more and you mitigate weight gain, too much drinking, boredom, mental well being and depression.

Anyone who thinks there isn't a link between depression and the alt-right would do well to have a look on the corona threads here. 

i8 is always one for taking control yet has allowed himself to fall to pieces unfortunately. 

Just now, The Brow said:

What lockdown? Sat in the park all day yesterday having beer with my mates, 30 degrees of gloriousness. All whilst watching every investment I made in March return 50%+. Get it roond ye. 

My point was mainly that you cant suddenly make millions of people unemployed all at once. Im aware of what will happen, which is why I said you will probably need a phased furlough removal. That way you can balance the industries opening up with the amount of staff actually required.

Surely its all about avoiding the big bang unemployment?

I await your next overly aggressive response without a clue as to why you seem to be so agitated. 

If you think that's aggressive wait until I've been drinking beer in the sun all day.  I haven't earned a penny during lockdown, my daughter has just lost her job, the house will probably be repossessed by the end of the year, I haven't been able to go to Scotland to help my elderly mother for months, black kids are running round smashing everything up and the pubs still aren't open. I await your suitably condescending response 😀

1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

If you think that's aggressive wait until I've been drinking beer in the sun all day.  I haven't earned a penny during lockdown, my daughter has just lost her job, the house will probably be repossessed by the end of the year, I haven't been able to go to Scotland to help my elderly mother for months, black kids are running round smashing everything up and the pubs still aren't open. I await your suitably condescending response 😀

That's shit. it also explains your posting. 

black kids. Jesus. 

14 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Might be pedantic but a country can't go bankrupt.

12 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Anyone who thinks there isn't a link between depression and the alt-right would do well to have a look on the corona threads here. 

i8 is always one for taking control yet has allowed himself to fall to pieces unfortunately. 

Maybe he'll see that external circumstances play a bigger part on shaping how people act, feel and cope with life. It's not an opportunity to kick him while he's down though (not suggesting you are); whilst I don't often agree with him, if I can help him at all that with things he's finding hard then I'm more than happy to, whether that's an ear to listen or some advice on how I've mitigated the things he's struggling with that I've experienced at times too.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Maybe he'll see that external circumstances play a bigger part on shaping how people act, feel and cope with life. It's not an opportunity to kick him while he's down though (not suggesting you are); whilst I don't often agree with him, if I can help him at all that with things he's finding hard then I'm more than happy to, whether that's an ear to listen or some advice on how I've mitigated the things he's struggling with that I've experienced at times too.

Sorry - I wasn't knocking him, I'm ambivalent as I don't know anyone on here in real life. I always think it is rather sad when I see people with depression or similar illnesses become rather angry at the world, quite self perpetuating unfortunately. 

Just now, The Brow said:

Sorry - I wasn't knocking him, I'm ambivalent as I don't know anyone on here in real life. I always think it is rather sad when I see people with depression or similar illnesses become rather angry at the world, quite self perpetuating unfortunately. 

I didn't take it as you were 👍, it was more my initial post (I edited after you quoted me) as I read it back it sounded like I was having a go at him which wasn't intended.

I don't know him from Adam either but I always just hope that a stranger's olive branch can sometimes be just what someone needs. As you say, the alternative can become a difficult spiral, which I don't like to think of anyone in.

JudyJudyJudy
46 minutes ago, The Brow said:

black kids. Jesus. 

YeH he lost me there too 

1 hour ago, The Brow said:

black kids. Jesus. 

Happening everywhere. 96% of kids round here are black, are you being condescending again?

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Edit: that wasn't meant to sound so much like a dig btw. I know it's easier said than done but you always come across as someone who believes people should take responsibility for their actions rather than saying 'woe is me' and a fair few of those things are in your gift to (not eliminate) but reduce the impact of.

Completely agree about the drinking . I’ve actually drank less during lockdown . I’ve never been one to drink in the house anyway and if I do it’s been once a week if at all during lockdown . I have bad depressive hangovers so waling up with one then remembering we are still on lockdown makes me feel ten times worse . Alcohol is a depressant so wise to avoid if feeling down at this time . 

38 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

YeH he lost me there too 

For the small village dwellers, there are riots in many parts of London regularly during the summer, and where I am it is almost exclusively black kids from the age of 8-16 and most nights since the BLM protests began. It only gets news coverage when the OB turn up and it gets exciting. Are you with me now?

21 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

For the small village dwellers, there are riots in many parts of London regularly during the summer, and where I am it is almost exclusively black kids from the age of 8-16 and most nights since the BLM protests began. It only gets news coverage when the OB turn up and it gets exciting. Are you with me now?

lolz 

25 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Happening everywhere. 96% of kids round here are black, are you being condescending again?

Not me Sir - I'm just glad those black kids stay away from my middle class idil 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Riots 😁😁😁

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

One of many:

My life being on hold

Depression

Putting on weight

I am drinking more

Boredom

Lack of any freedoms

I applaud your honesty about how you are feeling just now. It wasn't so long ago people were on about " being kind" to each other, looking after each other . In particular with the high levels of male suicide its important for men to express their feelings. 

Only 5 new infections today in Scotland. Touch wood, but I'm starting to get the feeling I can finally breathe out.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Only 5 new infections today in Scotland. Touch wood, but I'm starting to get the feeling I can finally breathe out.

Here,s hoping. 👍👍 I assume thats the lowest infection rate for a day ?  I know you know all the stats ! 

The view from Florida where they're currently recording record daily infection rates. And where authorities are debating whether to mandate the wearing of masks in an attempt to contain the spread.

The wisdom of one resident. "'They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out"

No mention of God's wonderful coronavirus which actually can entirely shut down the wonderful breathing system. Permanently.

Palm Beach County commissioners were harangued by residents who accused them of obeying the devil, imposing a communist dictatorship and dishonouring the American flag. Plus apparently masks are killing people. And there was me thinking it was the virus.

So there you have it, trying to contain a deadly epidemic is demonic, communist, and a dishonour to the American flag for some odd reason. I don't get the connection between flags and disease containment but maybe i'm simply missing something.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-53174415/they-want-to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

One of many:

My life being on hold

Depression

*Putting on weight

I am drinking more

Boredom

Lack of any freedoms

**Not seeing my inner circle as much as I would like

Did * cause **. 

:kirk:

56 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think after today, that the flu I thought I had back in February was covid. Did my first strip and retile. Could I breathe properly, could I feck. I've worked in hotter weather than today and never had a problem breathing. I nearly collapse cause I couldn't get a breath. I feel really sorry for the poor folk who are now permanently damaged from covid. 

Edited by ri Alban

25 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The view from Florida where they're currently recording record daily infection rates. And where authorities are debating whether to mandate the wearing of masks in an attempt to contain the spread.

The wisdom of one resident. "'They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out"

No mention of God's wonderful coronavirus which actually can entirely shut down the wonderful breathing system. Permanently.

Palm Beach County commissioners were harangued by residents who accused them of obeying the devil, imposing a communist dictatorship and dishonouring the American flag. Plus apparently masks are killing people. And there was me thinking it was the virus.

So there you have it, trying to contain a deadly epidemic is demonic, communist, and a dishonour to the American flag for some odd reason. I don't get the connection between flags and disease containment but maybe i'm simply missing something.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-53174415/they-want-to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

:levein_interesting:

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Here,s hoping. 👍👍 I assume thats the lowest infection rate for a day ?  I know you know all the stats ! 

As far as I can see, it is the lowest since 10 March. :thumb:

28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I think after today, that the flu I thought I had back in February was covid. Did my first strip and retile. Could I breathe properly, could I feck. I've worked in hotter weather than today and never had a problem breathing. I nearly collapse cause I couldn't get a breath. I feel really sorry for the poor folk who are now permanently damaged from covid. 

Indeed, ri. I did see an article on the folk damaged by the virus on the BBC website recently, but those folk aren't talked about much in general. The view so far has largely been that if it doesn't kill you, you're ok. However, the damage it leaves in its wake can be very debilitating for some.

Although the antibody tests aren't quite up to scratch yet, it would be interesting to see if you test positive or not for having had the virus. Had you been to sunny climes at any point before that?

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed, ri. I did see an article on the folk damaged by the virus on the BBC website recently, but those folk aren't talked about much in general. The view so far has largely been that if it doesn't kill you, you're ok. However, the damage it leaves in its wake can be very debilitating for some.

Although the antibody tests aren't quite up to scratch yet, it would be interesting to see if you test positive or not for having had the virus. Had you been to sunny climes at any point before that?

No bud, but since then I've really struggled to breathe as I usually do. Don't get me wrong, some of the timber I'm carrying is an issue, but from the day I took ill til lock down, I couldn't climb the roof without stopping. Up until then I was my usual 6/7 pallets a day onto the roof, yes I sweat, but I'm usually a machine,(Not my words, anyone who has worked with me) I'm hoping I'm alright once I get back into it. 

The stuff I was bringing up :( and the big abscess that appeared on my back, was horrendous.

I have photos of it, :D   :sick:

Anyway, thanks for listening to this stupid old fool. 👍 Appreciated. 

Edited by ri Alban

Greedy Jambo
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

One of many:

My life being on hold

Depression

Putting on weight

I am drinking more

Boredom

Lack of any freedoms

Better than being dead though. no?

Mental. Scotland needs to do what NY have/has done. 

Edited by ri Alban

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic