• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perfect storm brewing particularly so for the US which is now highly unlikely to have covid-19 under control before the flu season kicks in.

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China

A new strain of flu that has the potential to become pandemic has been identified in China by scientists. It emerged recently and is carried by pigs, but can infect humans, they say.

The researchers are concerned that it could mutate further so that it can spread easily from person to person, and trigger a global outbreak.

They say it has "all the hallmarks" of being highly adapted to infect humans - and needs close monitoring. As it's new, people could have little or no immunity to the virus.

Pandemic threat

A bad new strain of influenza is among the top disease threats that experts are watching for, even as the world attempts to bring to an end the current coronavirus pandemic.

The last pandemic flu the world encountered - the swine flu outbreak of 2009 that began in Mexico - was less deadly than initially feared, largely because many older people had some immunity to it, probably because of its similarity to other flu viruses that had circulated years before.

That virus, called A/H1N1pdm09, is now covered by the annual flu vaccine to make sure people are protected. The new flu strain that has been identified in China is similar to 2009 swine flu, but with some new changes.

So far, it hasn't posed a big threat, but Prof Kin-Chow Chang and colleagues who have been studying it, say it is one to keep an eye on.

The virus, which the researchers call G4 EA H1N1, can grow and multiply in the cells that line the human airways. They found evidence of recent infection starting in people who worked in abattoirs and the swine industry in China.

Current flu vaccines do not appear to protect against it, although they could be adapted to do so if needed. Prof Kin-Chow Chang, who works at Nottingham University in the UK, told the BBC: "Right now we are distracted with coronavirus and rightly so. But we must not lose sight of potentially dangerous new viruses."

While this new virus is not an immediate problem, he says: "We should not ignore it". The scientists write in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that measures to control the virus in pigs and closely monitor working populations should be swiftly implemented.

Prof James Wood, Head of the Department of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Cambridge, said the work "comes as a salutary reminder" that we are constantly at risk of new emergence of pathogens, and that farmed animals, with which humans have greater contact than with wildlife, may act as the source for important pandemic viruses.

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China

Just now, OBE said:

If not on the phone already, they should be.

yep it should be

"angela, its boris here how do you successfully lockdown a local area?"

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Perfect storm brewing particularly so for the US which is now highly unlikely to have covid-19 under control before the flu season kicks in.

Oh FFS, this is the last thing we need. :( 

Just now, jonesy said:

At the same time, there are laws which people follow fairly religiously and those which are deemed as less worthy of enforcement.

If social distancing is actually a law, then why were hundreds, of not thousands of folk not arrested at the Meadows during last week’s hot weather? If such rules are there to make us safe, why were people not banged up for their own protection? 

I get the point of keeping folk further apart than usual to stop the spreading of infection, but I don’t get that 2m should be the mantra. It’s very arbitrariness and lack of consistent enforcement is what led me to view it as a rule not worth adhering to. 

It's not a law unfortunately. Wish it was, I'd rather not go straight back into a strict lockdown like Leicester.

19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Banking on the fact that nobody in their right mind would want to travel to Leicester at the best of times, never mind when it's riddled with Covid. How they'll stop Leicester residents leaving and spreading around the rest of the country is certainly an issue though.

Leicester isn't too bad, certainly worse places around.

Just now, Taffin said:

Leicester isn't too bad, certainly worse places around.

Gigs at Leicester Polly' were a fight from start to finish in the late 80's early 90's, what a rough place it was, not been for years, but suspect it's the same as any other city, good bits and bad.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Gigs at Leicester Polly' were a fight from start to finish in the late 80's early 90's, what a rough place it was, not been for years, but suspect it's the same as any other city, good bits and bad.

a friend went to the king power to see kasabian a few years ago and he said he felt on edge all night because of the atmosphere

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

It definitely strikes me as quite rough in places but as you say, that's quite endemic of most cities. It's not great, but I wouldn't have it in the 'avoid' category (well, currently maybe!), it's decent enough for what it is.

Just now, milky_26 said:

a friend went to the king power to see kasabian a few years ago and he said he felt on edge all night because of the atmosphere

It's funny how different the atmosphere was between the East and West Midlands used to be, Nottingham, Leicester and Coventry were always edgy gigs, but I found Birmingham, Wolverhampton ect to be far nicer.

21 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

yep it should be

"angela, its boris here how do you successfully lockdown a local area?"

Lots and lots of sandbags.

54 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Whatever next........

Beaches quiet? 

I know,  Soon, one won’t be able to breathe without offending someone.  The bloody world, and it’s PC arseholes, have gone mad, Jonno.

Beaches?   Yep, much quieter than normal for this time of year, but still just a wee bit too busy for our taste.

Be careful how you answer now, the snowflakes are on the prowl.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

China...in Asia? Lombardia or Guadalajara will take the heat for this also...:biggrin2: 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Leceister getting regional attention while the rest of the uk continues to open up reinforces the point that full lockdown is finished - regional and tinkering from now on even if the virus is as strong as before - would need a fundamental change in risk factors to see a full lockdown similar to what we’ve seen

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

To be fair, both Scotland and England ****ed up the care homes, scandalous situation. 

Seems not all of them are ****ing up.

A 102-year-old great-grandmother has made a "miraculous recovery" from coronavirus, her carer has said. Mary Catterall fell ill at Birch Court Care Home in Warrington in May and was nursed back to health at the facility.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-53221261

Well done Mary.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Banking on the fact that nobody in their right mind would want to travel to Leicester at the best of times, never mind when it's riddled with Covid. How they'll stop Leicester residents leaving and spreading around the rest of the country is certainly an issue though.

You love using the word "riddled". 99.94% of the UK population do not have Coronavirus. There are a handful of cases in Leicester which will disappear soon enough. Most folk who get it don't get symptoms. You seem desperate for numbers to go up again. It's burning itself out and most folk are looking forward to getting back to normal life. Let the scientists hang on to their moment of fame, the rest of us are done with it.

Good set up on my site. Temp check at the gate, no check, no admission. The only thing that may cause bother, is the no leaving the site til the end of your shift and cars being parked on the main road or living part of the estate, due to the car park being limited to half the capacity. Site manager was denied an extra car park by his executives. Let's see if they are still so mean come tomorrow. 

I think I might need a holiday after tomorrow. :(

Edited by ri Alban

19 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You love using the word "riddled". 99.94% of the UK population do not have Coronavirus. There are a handful of cases in Leicester which will disappear soon enough. Most folk who get it don't get symptoms. You seem desperate for numbers to go up again. It's burning itself out and most folk are looking forward to getting back to normal life. Let the scientists hang on to their moment of fame, the rest of us are done with it.

It's not burning itself out. Lockdown and social distancing is burning it out. 

Lift it too early and it surges up again. 

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Ray Gin said:

It's not burning itself out. Lockdown and social distancing is burning it out. 

Lift it too early and it surges up again. 

It only surged because it had been circulating for months earlier than first thought. No other country is going in to full lockdown again. Arguably, as it peaked on Apr 9th, it was on a downward trend before lockdown.  We certainly wont be going back to lockdown at any time. We may need a vaccine but equally it may cease to be a public health threat before then.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It only surged because it had been circulating for months earlier than first thought. No other country is going in to full lockdown again. Arguably, as it peaked on Apr 9th, it was on a downward trend before lockdown.  We certainly wont be going back to lockdown at any time. We may need a vaccine but equally it may cease to be a public health threat before then.

It's nothing like over yet and in fact the WHO thinks we may not even have seen the worst of it yet.

The worst could be still to come in the Covid-19 pandemic, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned, six months on from when the outbreak began.

"Although many countries have made some progress, globally the pandemic is actually speeding up."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53227219

Enzo Chiefo

It's nothing like over yet and in fact the WHO thinks we may not even have seen the worst of it yet.

Yes, I read that. They have made a few stonking pronouncements in the last few months but that one is out on it's own. We know more about it now, it's weakening , we are developing treatments and it wouldn't catch us by surprise again. That statement was absolute nonsense.

Jambo 4 Ever
9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

But Scotland seem to be over worst of it now 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

agree it’s not over - folk need to (dare it be said) “stay alert”

22 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Full countries perhaps not, but Leicester has just gone back into lockdown, as have Florida and Texas. 

It is plain wrong to state with any certainty that the same could not happen in Edinburgh.

15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I read that. They have made a few stonking pronouncements in the last few months but that one is out on it's own. We know more about it now, it's weakening , we are developing treatments and it wouldn't catch us by surprise again. That statement was absolute nonsense.

Well i'm sure we're all appreciative of your expert knowledge. Forget those idiots at the WHO.

Enzo Chiefo

Well i'm sure we're all appreciative of your expert knowledge. Forget those idiots at the WHO.

You don't consider the possibility that  the WHO has vested interests?

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

You don't consider the possibility that  the WHO has vested interests?

I don't consider the possibility that anyone should take heed of your pronouncements on this pandemic. 

Enzo Chiefo

I don't consider the possibility that anyone should take heed of your pronouncements on this pandemic. 

No, you seem to have to made your mind up. Oh well. 

I just don't get this it's okay to party overseas again. These kids go there and have their usual go mental fortnight and observe no social distancing or mask wearing then bring back the virus, no different to what's going on in the U.S. 

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

No, you seem to have to made your mind up. Oh well. 

Yes, made up my mind that listening to you pontificate on the field of virology and pandemics isn't a wise thing to do. Call me an idiot but hey that's just me. I don't listen to taxi drivers and their theories on quantum physics either.

Tend to only listen to the physicists for that and the virologist for pandemic opinions. 

Maybe you should contact the WHO with your wisdom. Or the press. Maybe they will listen.

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I just don't get this it's okay to party overseas again. These kids go there and have their usual go mental fortnight and observe no social distancing or mask wearing then bring back the virus, no different to what's going on in the U.S. 

Nobody has said that this is OK. 

JudyJudyJudy

Localised lockdowns were Always going to happen . It’s happened all around the world after each country has had its peak . Let’s just try and hold on to the good news in Scotland . Too many doom merchants on this at times 

coconut doug
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Agreed. She is playing a political game with Coronavirus and I'll tell you something it is working like a treat. Her popularity is at an all time high. Do hell with all her other failures...the lassie has copied the model but kept it back for two weeks. 

We should not be under any sort of lockdown anymore but for some reason people here in Scotland seem to think we can stay in it for as long as we need without causing even more significant harm to the economy. 

Will we be opening the schools up and then closing them back down again?

Will we be lifting the lockdown and then reimposing it on a regional basis?

Will we be investing heavily in a tracing app that doesn't work even though lots of experts told us it wouldn't work?

Or will we just take it slowly in the hope that we can save lives and avoid an economically damaging second spike?

Copied the model - what model? The UK government's approach is a shambles at every level.

10 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Will we be opening the schools up and then closing them back down again?

Will we be lifting the lockdown and then reimposing it on a regional basis?

Too early to say.

9 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Gilead sets the price for Remdesivir at $390 per vial. Typical treatment for a person is between 5-10 vials.

Greedy pharmaceutical companies strike again

And its not even a vaccine its just a treatment that can reduce the effect a partial amount in some patients.

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Localised lockdowns were Always going to happen . It’s happened all around the world after each country has had its peak . Let’s just try and hold on to the good news in Scotland . Too many doom merchants on this at times 

Would they shut London down though ?

I do agree though localised shut downs are they way forward 

Edited by vegas-voss

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

There's a very valid argument that they should have shut London down first much earlier as it was the ingress point for the virus into the UK. 

The issue with localised lockdown will be compliance, which post Barnard Castle is effectively non-existent.   

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

i think it would not be the whole of london just specific areas of it

Brighton Jambo
11 hours ago, weehammy said:

Apparently unnoticed by some on here.

Doesn’t fit the narrative on here that England has been shambles and Scotland has handled this great.  It will all come out in the enquiry, terrible and tragic decisions made in all four devolved administrations.

Brighton Jambo
8 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yeah I saw that too, it’s like because they underplayed the severity initially they are now releasing doom laden statement after doom laden statement to make up for it.   

CavySlaveJambo
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Full countries perhaps not, but Leicester has just gone back into lockdown, as have Florida and Texas. 

Florida and Texas never went into a full lockdown. Besides if Florida was in Lockdown the plans of reopening Disney World will have joined Disneyland on the delayed reopening pile. (plus Universal and Seaworld would have had to close again too) 

14 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Florida and Texas never went into a full lockdown. Besides if Florida was in Lockdown the plans of reopening Disney World will have joined Disneyland on the delayed reopening pile. (plus Universal and Seaworld would have had to close again too) 

Beaches, bars and restaurants closed. 

coconut doug
8 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Too early to say.

Very possibly, but i assume that's why we have a contingency plan for education and a Public Health run Test and Trace operation that appears to be working.

England had neither and jumped the gun.

coconut doug
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yeah I saw that too, it’s like because they underplayed the severity initially they are now releasing doom laden statement after doom laden statement to make up for it.   

Alternatively they might be telling the truth as the figures show the number of new daily infections continues to increase significantly and the number of deaths is flatlining. 

They might be fabricating the whole thing though, Trump may be right and the WHO wrong.

coconut doug
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Doesn’t fit the narrative on here that England has been shambles and Scotland has handled this great.  It will all come out in the enquiry, terrible and tragic decisions made in all four devolved administrations.

It may well all come out in the enquiry but already you know that all 4 nations made “terrible and tragic decisions” Can you tell us what these decisions were and how they turned out to be terrible and tragic?

Isn’t it your narrative that’s the problem? Is it not true that as far as we can tell England has handled this spectacularly badly and that their death rates are the worst in the world? I’ve not heard anybody say that “Scotland has handled this great” as you say but no doubt you will provide evidence of this assertion to prove me wrong. Your narrative is to desperately try to associate Scotland with wider UK failings and by doing so talk our relative achievements down.

Are you still “glad” Boris is our PM and would you refute the notion that England’s poor performance in the pandemic is directly attributable to ineffective governance?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic