Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

vegas-voss

There has also been modelling done by a university in Singapore that reckons the UK could be Covid free by September 30th.Sounds good bit I'm not really sure about the modelling for any of this.Bit of hope though.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

There has also been modelling done by a university in Singapore that reckons the UK could be Covid free by September 30th.Sounds good bit I'm not really sure about the modelling for any of this.Bit of hope though.

Which year, though ?  :whistling:

vegas-voss
11 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Maybe wait and see how he proposes to pay it all back before we cheer him on too much. You might find he's more of a Tory chancellor than you think. 

He has already been saying about the pain and suffering we will all suffer because of the economy but of course what that really means is the masses will suffer where the others will be alright.

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Up until now I would have agreed with you but I think the Tories have inadvertently unearthed an absolute gem in the new chancellor.  Coherent, likeable and will have some serious credibility behind him not only given he had delivered complex things effectively but can use the whole you needed us I was there for you line for years to come.  The least Tory chancellor imaginable. 

if the Tories have any sense Boris would never set foot up here again and they would just send Sunak especially as in the upcoming recession his inputs and views will be critical.

which means they will probably do the complete opposite!  

Yeah I first saw him in the GE when Boris was ducking the debates. He had a decent crack at defending the Tories but Sturgeon still had him on toast. My perception of him then was "good speaker but he's BS'ing and he knows it". He's done a good job with the furloughing but I'm not sure about the extension to October. It just seems to counter the attempt to get the economy going again. I think it is needed for Tourism, hospitality etc but there are plenty of industries that could be excluded, hopefully they will be in due course...

Seems that about half of the testing kits posted out were never used or at least never arrived back at the labs for testing.

Which makes even more of a nonsense of the government's "tests done" figures.

Just now, vegas-voss said:

He has already been saying about the pain and suffering we will all suffer because of the economy but of course what that really means is the masses will suffer where the others will be alright.

That's the fear. Tax rises for the poor, tax cuts for the rich.  Social spending cuts like never seen before, which will be just peachy as we'll be looking at record unemployment levels. 

All of this with a potential no deal cliff edge Brexit as the super sweet cherry on top. 

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Everyone’s least favourite pub chain Witherspoons, have announced plans how they will open up.

I'm as pint daft as the next man, but I'd gargle on my own stale pish before I'd sup ale in one of b*****d Martin's establishments ever again.

No more hair-o'-the-dug pint-and-a-dirty-breakfast for less than the price of the busfare into town for this funkster.

A vandalised bench in Colinton Mains Park with a tin of Tesco lager and a Ginster Corninsh pasty is the future.

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Yeah I first saw him in the GE when Boris was ducking the debates. He had a decent crack at defending the Tories but Sturgeon still had him on toast. My perception of him then was "good speaker but he's BS'ing and he knows it". He's done a good job with the furloughing but I'm not sure about the extension to October. It just seems to counter the attempt to get the economy going again. I think it is needed for Tourism, hospitality etc but there are plenty of industries that could be excluded, hopefully they will be in due course...

You'd think relaxing it and extending it, according to the industry involved and the restrictions applied, would be a good idea but from what I've read, he's not keen. 

14 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Irrespective  of political leanings, I suspect there isn't a  governing party anywhere in the world which isn't being blamed for some aspect of their response.   

Boris volunteered for PM to become a hero for getting Brexit "done", Nicola volunteered for FM  to become a hero for winning  a new  Indyref  -  neither had any idea that this crisis would blow up.     All us keyboard slavers  with no responsibility for  anything other than our close family should probably cut them a bit of slack, regardless of political bias, IMO 

I don't believe all politicians and leaders come into politics for self serving reasons. Some do though.

Spellczech
32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Everyone’s least favourite pub chain Witherspoons, have announced plans how they will open up.

Amongst the proposed precautions are social distancing, screens at dining, app ordering, single use menus, table cleaning every 15 min, reduced capacity, cashless payments. Beer gardens to open up first.

It gives us a idea of precautions we are likely to see for things like pubs and resteraunts.

They have a massive advantage with their table service app...

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm as pint daft as the next man, but I'd gargle on my own stale pish before I'd sup ale in one of b*****d Martin's establishments ever again.

No more hair-o'-the-dug pint-and-a-dirty-breakfast for less than the price of the busfare into town for this funkster.

A vandalised bench in Colinton Mains Park with a tin of Tesco lager and a Ginster Corninsh pasty is the future.

The days of cheap Wetherspoons are gone. Their food menu will be crippled which had big margins for them. They'll need to pay for all the extra staff to clean shit all day. And they'll likely have to pay more for their booze as suppliers will also have to increase prices to cover their increased Corona costs. 

£5 a pint in Wetherspoons. But that won't matter as you probably won't have any choice as all the other pubs will be out of business anyway. 

Spellczech
17 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Irrespective  of political leanings, I suspect there isn't a  governing party anywhere in the world which isn't being blamed for some aspect of their response.   

Boris volunteered for PM to become a hero for getting Brexit "done", Nicola volunteered for FM  to become a hero for winning  a new  Indyref  -  neither had any idea that this crisis would blow up.     All us keyboard slavers  with no responsibility for  anything other than our close family should probably cut them a bit of slack, regardless of political bias, IMO 

I don't believe in cutting anyone slack because they do a bad job of a hard job. Seems such a weakling's argument. These power-hungry politicians would not expect it, though they'd gratefully accept it...

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

£5 a pint in Wetherspoons. But that won't matter as you probably won't have any choice as all the other pubs will be out of business anyway. 

Gaffer at my local is optimistic that it'll survive, but his other joints are looking less promising - at least in the short term.

After the time on furlough my back yard now resembles Kew Gardens with draught beer available in the pavillion (garden shed), so if we have a decent summer I'll be sorted. 

The thing I like about the pub is nipping in and propping up the bar for an hour or so and exchanging insults with the staff and kent faces. It looms like that's off the cards for now anyway so I'll probably not bother with it too much.

Ehllhayapeh
19 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I also hope that Wetherspoons is boycotted for Martins "go and work at Tesco" relieving of 40,000 folk of their jobs. He doesnt deserve anyones money after pulling that stunt. I dont particularly like Wetherspoons anyway. When Im home give me a good local boozer with local dishes not that generic cardboard wetherspoons pub grub.

Edinburgh of course is full of cracking pubs serving great food so you all have plenty of options.😎

Its one of the things I miss about not living there any more.

vegas-voss
30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If control measures keep the R number below 1, in theory after a period it should disappear. Thats easier said that done but if kept below 1 wouldn’t be that long considering the levels we have now. 

You got a link to the modelling or that? 

Think ideally it's .5 or under

vegas-voss

It's already a joke just how much a pint is in some places in Edinburgh so aye I can imagine how expensive it will become.

hughesie27
32 minutes ago, Cade said:

Seems that about half of the testing kits posted out were never used or at least never arrived back at the labs for testing.

Which makes even more of a nonsense of the government's "tests done" figures.

Sort of. But if we take the capacity fogure of tests distributed then it's hardly their responsibility to ensure people get tested.

Unless of course there aren't enough test centres.

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I had a policy of never entering their establishments anyway. Wouldn’t want to associate with anyone who drinks in Witherspoons. I’m pretentious **** as well as being a udgemental twat. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where the Witherspoons your way, Hunters Tryst?

The Hunters Tryst isn't Witherkunts but it is part of a chain. Not a bad pint but not much of a pub all round. It was better for food twenty odd years ago when it had a proper kitchen with proper chefs. The Goodies is a shithole but I have an affection for it. 

Plenty of other half decent places in Colinton, Craiglockhart, Polwarth, Morningside, Bruntsfield, etc, all within half an hour or so's walk. 

I've been out in the Pentlands a fair bit over lockdown but it's not the same without a pint or two at the Allan Ramsay on the way out and the Steading on the way in.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The Hunters Tryst isn't Witherkunts but it is part of a chain. Not a bad pint but not much of a pub all round. It was better for food twenty odd years ago when it had a proper kitchen with proper chefs. The Goodies is a shithole but I have an affection for it. 

Plenty of other half decent places in Colinton, Craiglockhart, Polwarth, Morningside, Bruntsfield, etc, all within half an hour or so's walk. 

I've been out in the Pentlands a fair bit over lockdown but it's not the same without a pint or two at the Allan Ramsay on the way out and the Steading on the way in.

The Goodies.

:laugh:

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The Goodies.

The hub of community life, TRM. 👍

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The hub of community life, TRM. 👍

Back in the day the squadies loved a good pagger there.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm in full agreement with this.

He's a shitehawk

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm in full agreement with this.

He's a shitehawk

He’ll probably get a knighthood then.

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Mooth Davidson seems to have surfaced from her cave.    **** knows how she gets the brass neck to come out with the nonsense she does.    

Impressive politician Ruth -well liked by the media and general public, highly intelligent and personable - would make a great fist minister 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ah, now I remember where I saw you last.

Have read the out of lockdown plan and I'm none the wiser,

My mum lives alone 4 miles from me, from next week,

can I enter her house?

can I bring her in my car to my house?

I think the answer to both of the above is no, and all I'm allowed to do is sit outside her house 2M away, or she comes to my house and sits outside mine 2M away.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I don't believe in cutting anyone slack because they do a bad job of a hard job. Seems such a weakling's argument. These power-hungry politicians would not expect it, though they'd gratefully accept it...

With thousands dying in the UK, I doubt any of them are feeling particularly grateful at being the ones having to make very hard decisions about this unexpected and brutal situation.   

(Just having a chilled  "be kind to a politician" day ..... probably back to being full of rage tomorrow though  😜)

The Internet
6 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Impressive politician Ruth -well liked by the media and general public, highly intelligent and personable - would make a great fist minister 

Was that deliberate? 

John Gentleman
51 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

While I'm in no doubt that at least one of these vaccines will prove effective, we're still talking relatively long timescales.

I wonder if as much effort is being expended on an antiviral treatment for those who get infected, since this thing isn't going to disappear any time soon (there's a 20% difference in its RNA compared to its nearest relative, SARS). I haven't seen any many reports on developing treatments. And no, I'm not counting Trump's flirtation with hydroxychloroquine. It's a treatment for malaria ya dumb prick, not an oral vaccine.

Edited by John Gentleman

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

:naughty:

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

back to being full of rage tomorrow though 

:pleasing:

10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I'd agree with all of that if she wasn't a Tory.

Fun fact: She was in the wee room next door to Mrs Tarkin up at Simpsons when they were heaving out their respective offspring.

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Was that deliberate? 

:lol:

vegas-voss
6 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

While I'm in no doubt that at least one of these vaccines will prove effective, we're still talking relatively long timescales.

I wonder if as much effort is being expended on an antiviral treatment for those who get infected, since this thing isn't going to disappear any time soon (there's a 20% difference in its RNA compared to its nearest relative, SARS). I haven't seen any many reports on developing treatments. And no, I'm not counting Trump's flirtation with hydroxychloroquine. It's a treatment for malaria ya dumb prick, not an oral vaccine.

Fauci spoke about another treatment about 2 weeks ago I can't remember the name of it now but it's a current drug and while not a game changer he was very positive on the results and how they could hopefully build on that.Its certainly a lot better listening to Fauci when Trump shuts up which he did at this time.

Edited by vegas-voss

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Fauci spoke about another treatment about 2 weeks ago I can't remember the name of it now but it's a current drug and while not a game changer he was very positive on the results and how they could hopefully build on that.Its certainly a lot better listening to Fauci when Trump shuts up which he did at this time.

Trumpy seems to have gone into looney-tune overdrive now that he's announced he's been taking hydroxychloroquine for over a week. He's now able to play a  kind of "whats my disease" guessing game with his hated media entourage - they'll keep asking him if he has COVID and he'll keep replying "you're a terrible reporter for asking stupid questions".

:facepalm:

Rooth The Mooth argues her points very well.

Then, when the newspaper headlines change the public mood, she argues the exact opposite points very well.

She's not got a single ounce of integrity in her body.

The ultimate opportunist.

Flip flops all over the place just to keep herself in the papers.

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

They have a massive advantage with their table service app...

I would think that every type of hospitality business will have been working behind the scenes to implement some sort of “let’s make this work” type of plan to put in place as soon as they are given the green light to operate.  Not sure about the smaller sole traders who may not have the cash to do this though.

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

..with Norman Lamont as her Finance Secretary ?

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

LOL.  Yes his pubs can do a bolt...disgusting places anyway..Absolutely zero character and atmosphere..no class...and those blue dishes the " food " is served on are  really are foul...!  t

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Shes a boot of the highest order. Never known such an abrasive politician in all my days. Nasty, vindictive and just plain vile. And thats her good points. 

Spellczech
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

With thousands dying in the UK, I doubt any of them are feeling particularly grateful at being the ones having to make very hard decisions about this unexpected and brutal situation.   

(Just having a chilled  "be kind to a politician" day ..... probably back to being full of rage tomorrow though  😜)

Cannot escape the fact that thousands died in the UK due to the decisions and dithering omissions that they made... They deserve all the heat that has arrived already as well as that that will inevitably come in due course.  It's not just the politicians though, it seems our scientists who had the most influence were also the ones who shouldn't have had the influence they had...but they are not elected so they are responsible to the politicians they were advising whereas the politicians are responsible to us. 

The worst decision will be the clearing out of old people in mid-March from the hospitals to Care Homes without testing - This was done AFTER it was reported that a Madrid Care Home was being decimated by Covid after the Italians and Spanish made the same mistake - everyone in the NHS knew that was going to be a disaster., and it was actually indirectly down to PPE shortages. They could not declare that whole hospitals were infected as it would've meant everyone was "assumed positive", but they needed to keep it as "assumed negative" as there was not enough PPE...

6 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

me and the better half are desperate to see our kids and grandkids but they live in Tweedbank and Crailing so we were hoping to drive down next Friday and meet them one household at a time so that parts ok but it's driving 40 miles that worries me either the A7 or A68 guaranteed there will cop cars somewhere and they will check the reg and see it's Edinburgh and we'll get pulled over bit of a bummer if that happens. it's not like we're going to a tourist destination just to meet them in parks that are near them. Any thoughts seeing that 5 miles is the preferred maximum distance.

Don’t worry about being stopped most cars stopped are for a reason usually uninsured or untaxed

going down the A1 or A68 is alright unlike the m74 or A74

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Shes a boot of the highest order. Never known such an abrasive politician in all my days. Nasty, vindictive and just plain vile. And thats her good points. 

1 hour ago, ericb said:

Have read the out of lockdown plan and I'm none the wiser,

My mum lives alone 4 miles from me, from next week,

can I enter her house?

can I bring her in my car to my house?

I think the answer to both of the above is no, and all I'm allowed to do is sit outside her house 2M away, or she comes to my house and sits outside mine 2M away.

Answered your own questions chief.

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cruella De Vil doing the briefing.

How many tests is she claiming done today, I’m going for 6,778,204,875,761

Perfect time to quarantine people coming into the country according to the munter from the government.

No, the perfect time was quite a while back.

Lone Striker

Today's pointless question session coming up .... Priti Fatal's turn to not answer them today. 😡 

The Mighty Thor
Just now, graygo said:

Perfect time to quarantine people coming into the country according to the munter from the government.

No, the perfect time was quite a while back.

Sometimes there's not enough of these in the world

:facepalm:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic