Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Weakened Offender
19 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Skewed reporting on 24hr rolling news chanels and a largely hysterical social media.

How do you think the NHS would have coped had all those called out of retirement said no? Volunteers? Army medics? It was a fantastic effort and without these people it would have been very different. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

How do you think the NHS would have coped had all those called out of retirement said no? Volunteers? Army medics? It was a fantastic effort and without these people it would have been very different. 

Do we have any figures of how many actually came out of retirement, how many volunteers or additional staff were taken on, and what their jobs/functions were/are? For example, what was the make up of the medical staff and wider workforce that was deployed at the largely un or underused facilities such as the Nightingale or Louisa Jordan?

I agree that it was a fantastic effort to get the extra capacity on stream, and if that hadn't happened I suspect that some areas with a low number if ICU / critical care beds per head of local population would've struggled to cope, whereas others would've coped well.

I'm not suggesting that conditions for staff in many of these units would've been horrific, they undoubtaby would (and have been), but at the end of the day that's the job they sign up and train to do.

As it has transpired thus far the NHS has coped incredibly well and with room to spare - due in no small part to the expertise, selflesness and diligence of its staff.

The general population of the UK have also been fantastic.

20 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Personally, I don't want to live like a hermit for the rest of my life.

You wont really have a choice in the matter mate. Unfortunately it’s just the direction of travel we are now on. 

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Do we have any figures of how many actually came out of retirement, how many volunteers or additional staff were taken on, and what their jobs/functions were/are? For example, what was the make up of the medical staff and wider workforce that was deployed at the largely un or underused facilities such as the Nightingale or Louisa Jordan?

I agree that it was a fantastic effort to get the extra capacity on stream, and if that hadn't happened I suspect that some areas with a low number if ICU / critical care beds per head of local population would've struggled to cope, whereas others would've coped well.

I'm not suggesting that conditions for staff in many of these units would've been horrific, they undoubtaby would (and have been), but at the end of the day that's the job they sign up and train to do.

As it has transpired thus far the NHS has coped incredibly well and with room to spare - due in no small part to the expertise, selflesness and diligence of its staff.

The general population of the UK have also been fantastic.

More than 15000 were back in/retuning to service, in England, by April 12th and given a few died of the virus then its not being too controversial to suggest some were hands on. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

JudyJudyJudy
16 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly BK. Absolute nonsense.  I really resent politicians talking to us as if we are 5 year olds. People are quite rightly taking the sensible approach and ignoring the rules that are complete and utter nonsense while taking sensible precautions and obeying the sensible rules. If you have to go to the bathroom in your great granny's house, you can wipe the door handle and taps. That should sort the pesky virus out......assuming, of course, that you are one of the 0.2% of the population that actually has the virus. There is every chance that in a few months this thing will no longer be of public health concern. 

Isn’t it w sad day when grown adults are asking a Govt if they can piss in their families house when they visit ???? Incredible how people have become infantilised during this pandemic ! Yes you can use others loos , just take precautions . I would also add once I’ve has did a piss or whatever after flushing the bog pour bleach down it and close the lid . The virus has Been found in urine/ shit 

AlimOzturk
2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

You wont really have a choice in the matter mate. Unfortunately it’s just the direction of travel we are now on. 

Well, I will. Cause I won't be living like a hermit. There is still choice and ATM I am choosing to follow the guidelines. However if they attempt to keep suppressing freedoms when the facts don't justify it then I and many others will fight back against it. 

Social distancing isn't a viable long term solution for mental health or the economy. It would be a tragedy if that becomes the new norm as that will mean an end to huge sporting events, concerts and other such things. 

The Internet

Think they need to ditch the term 'social distancing', physical distancing works better and doesn't make it sound like you need to sit in the house alone for the rest of your life. Eventually people will need to be trusted to be sensible. 

WoolfordsHearts
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Well, I will. Cause I won't be living like a hermit. There is still choice and ATM I am choosing to follow the guidelines. However if they attempt to keep suppressing freedoms when the facts don't justify it then I and many others will fight back against it. 

Social distancing isn't a viable long term solution for mental health or the economy. It would be a tragedy if that becomes the new norm as that will mean an end to huge sporting events, concerts and other such things. 

A realistic post in a thread of political seethe.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

More than 15000 were back in/retuning to service, in England, by April 12th and given a few died of the virus then its not being too controversial to suggest some were hands on. 

Thanks, I genuinely had no idea of the figures.

I would assume that the geographical distribution of extra capacity and of facilities which came close to being over-stretched is far from even. I have friends working in covid environments and their experiences have been widely different to this point. 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Thanks, I genuinely had no idea of the figures.

I would assume that the geographical distribution of extra capacity and of facilities which came close to being over-stretched is far from even. I have friends working in covid environments and their experiences have been widely different to this point. 

I've heard similar stories. The hospitals in Edinburgh and Fife were seemingly much quieter than through the west. 

19 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Of course he will have a choice as will everyone. Very few people are going to blindly follow rules for indefinite periods of time particularly when the government and their advisors can’t follow them.

Right now this is a miserable existence for people and to think this is going to ever be normal is a worrying thought.

Footballfirst

The Tory spin machine has gone into top gear with the Cabinet all tweeting support for good old Dom within the last few hours.

I know how ill coronavirus makes you. It was entirely right for Dom Cummings to find childcare for his toddler, when both he and his wife were getting ill.

Caring for your child is obviously reasonable. Surely any parent of a three year old would want to ensure they are safe at all times. Politically motivated attacks on a good father are discreditable.

It’s reasonable and fair to ask for an explanation on this. And it has been provided: two parents with Coronavirus, were anxiously taking care of their young child. Those now seeking to politicise it should take a long hard look in the mirror.
Taking care of your wife and young child is justifiable and reasonable, trying to score political points over it isn’t.

Caring for your wife and child is not a crime

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

TBF mate, what can you do? If you woke up tomorrow and decided “Fvuk this, I am not doing this anymore” - what would you do? How would you be able to go back to a normal life?

You wouldn’t be able to do any of the things you previously enjoyed doing like going to work, go to pub, go to restaurant, go to cinema, watch the football, go to the gym, see live music. You could possibly go and see mates and family, but that would wholly be dependent on them sharing the same mindset as you, and even then you would be risking getting fined by the Police. 

Reality is, we allowed the Govt to put us in Lockdown and strip people of their liberty without putting up a fight. And now we are where we are. Just gonna have to sit it out.

22 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

There was a period where I became suitably worried after being worked into a frenzy by the media. I can't help but feel I'm more siding with the article you posted earlier now though. Unless you have certain existing health conditions this seems largely of no risk to most people and we are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. When you hear of people like Mariappa at Watford testing positive but having been completely oblivious to it or the BBC medical correspondent having a positive anti-body test despite not knowing he'd had it it's hard not to feel that it simply doesn't pose much risk to the majority.

Those known to be at risk should continue to socially distance and stay at home where possible, those who aren't but want to continue their 'lockdown' will be perfectly entitled to continue it also. Meanwhile the rest can get back to normality.

Edited by Taffin

17 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Do what you want, as long as you don't interfere on others lives. As you may find the bagpipes sound different stuck up yer arse.

2 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Totally understand be sentiment, but would the likes of Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott have done better?

The stats would have been interesting.

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Tory spin machine has gone into top gear with the Cabinet all tweeting support for good old Dom within the last few hours.

I know how ill coronavirus makes you. It was entirely right for Dom Cummings to find childcare for his toddler, when both he and his wife were getting ill.

Caring for your child is obviously reasonable. Surely any parent of a three year old would want to ensure they are safe at all times. Politically motivated attacks on a good father are discreditable.

It’s reasonable and fair to ask for an explanation on this. And it has been provided: two parents with Coronavirus, were anxiously taking care of their young child. Those now seeking to politicise it should take a long hard look in the mirror.
Taking care of your wife and young child is justifiable and reasonable, trying to score political points over it isn’t.

They've lost the plot. They will lose all the moral authority they have left if they continue with this.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Do what you want, as long as you don't interfere on others lives. As you may find the bagpipes sound different stuck up yer arse.

:rofl:

coconut doug
5 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Blackford has been a disgrace throughout this pandemic. His "we're shut, **** off" tweet shows Scotland at its Parochial best and he's proud to represent that view. The threat from England is a myth peddled regularly from the Nationalist ranks, including NS, and as with all xenophobic scaremongering, its completely false. 

What threat?

Footballfirst

Another potential issue of concern about the reporting of the Cummings trip.

If you look at what is trending on Twitter, you can see various indirect references to the Cummings trip, such as Durham, Calderwood, Ferguson etc., but what is missing from the list?  It is the name "Cummings" itself.  Does the government, through GCHQ, have the capability of determining what appears, or does not appear, as Twitter trends?  That is a big concern for what we call an open democracy.

United Kingdom trends

1·Trending Durham 154K Tweets

2· Politics · Trending #sackcummimgs 6,172 Tweets

3· Trending #dominicgoings 49.4K Tweets

4· Sports · Trending Havertz 9,620 Tweets

5.Trending Rishi13.9K Tweets

6· Politics · Trending #SackDom 5,429 Tweets

7· Trending No 10 18.9K Tweets

8· Trending #RIPHanaKimura 54.3K Tweets

9 Trending ABBA 26.4K Tweets

10· Politics · Trending #doublestandards 1,343 Tweets

11· Trending Downing Street 20.9K Tweets

12·Football · Trending Wolfsburg 14.8K Tweets

13· Football · Trending Giggs 7,278 Tweets

14· Trending Spectator 29.5K Tweets

15· Politics · Trending Sunak 8,096 Tweets

16· Politics · Trending Neil Ferguson 39K Tweets

17· Politics · Trending Mr Gove 5,000 Tweets

18· Trending Durham Police 29.6K Tweets

19· Trending Curtis Woodhouse

20· Trending Steve McManaman 

21· Celebrities · Trending Hilary Duff 7,644 Tweets

22 · Trending Calderwood 26.9K Tweets

23· Trending Number 10 46.6K Tweets

24· Politics · Trending Attorney General 29.2K Tweets

25· Trending Caring 67.2K Tweets

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

But for every other **** the rules were stay the **** at home and don't ****ing move or you're literally killing the NHS.

I genuinely despise these *******s and wouldn't give it a second thought if they didn't wake up tomorrow.

The Internet
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

What's Hilary Duff been up to? 

Dragged into a child trafficking conspiracy apparently.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Skewed reporting on 24hr rolling news chanels and a largely hysterical social media.

This. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Which may never happen. Personally, I don't want to live like a hermit for the rest of my life.

This. 

56 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

This. 

39 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

TBF mate, what can you do? If you woke up tomorrow and decided “Fvuk this, I am not doing this anymore” - what would you do? How would you be able to go back to a normal life?

You wouldn’t be able to do any of the things you previously enjoyed doing like going to work, go to pub, go to restaurant, go to cinema, watch the football, go to the gym, see live music. You could possibly go and see mates and family, but that would wholly be dependent on them sharing the same mindset as you, and even then you would be risking getting fined by the Police. 

Reality is, we allowed the Govt to put us in Lockdown and strip people of their liberty without putting up a fight. And now we are where we are. Just gonna have to sit it out.

It’s been frightening how quickly and easily they took everything away and some people are prepared to live like this until there is a vaccine? For real?!?
Personally I know 5-6 people who have had this and it wasn’t even as bad as a flu. Felt a bit shit but over within a few days. Does anyone know anyone who has died with this? 
It all feels really unnecessary imo. 

Edited by jack D and coke

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

This. 

This. 

This. 

It’s been frightening how quickly and easily they took everything away and some people are prepared to live like this until there is a vaccine? For real?!?
Personally I know 5-6 people who have had this and it wasn’t even as bad as a flu. Felt a bit shit bit over within a few days. Does anyone know anyone who has died with this? 

:conspiracy:

The Internet
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

This. 

This. 

This. 

Personally I know 5-6 people who have had this and it wasn’t even as bad as a flu. Felt a bit shit but over within a few days. Does anyone know anyone who has died with this? 

I get what you're saying but they didn't shut it all down as part of some power trip or for a laugh, they were shitting themselves because this thing was new, rampant and we had no defense against it. We had to react in some way.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

This. 

This. 

This. 

Only know 2 or 3 that have had it and fortunately no deaths.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I get what you're saying but they didn't shut it all down as part of some power trip or for a laugh, they were shitting themselves because this thing was new, rampant and we had no defense against it. We had to react in some way.

I get that too. Take the shackles off now though ffs. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Only know 2 or 3 that have had it and fortunately no deaths.

Good to hear👍🏼

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s a massive, massive overreaction is what it is imo. 

No it isn't.

I've an idea for you and @AlimOzturk . Why don't you two remake the  Bittersweet symphony video. Alim piping the tune while you walk doon the High St bumping into folk. :rofl:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I get that too. Take the shackles off now though ffs. 

Good to hear👍🏼

Thanks.

The reason I gave that figure is one was a definite and the other suspected but not confirmed.

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I get what you're saying but they didn't shut it all down as part of some power trip or for a laugh, they were shitting themselves because this thing was new, rampant and we *had no defense against it. We had to react in some way.

*Have

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

This. 

This. 

This. 

Couples friends of friends have had it but haven't known anyone die of it , In fact havent really known anyone who has had it. 

Instead of fronting up at the press conference and answering the awkward questions, Johnson sends out Michael Green/Grant Shapps to take the humiliation of defending the indefensible.

:facepalm:

frankblack
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

But for every other **** the rules were stay the **** at home and don't ****ing move or you're literally killing the NHS.

I genuinely despise these *******s and wouldn't give it a second thought if they didn't wake up tomorrow.

Spot on.  No matter how they spin it they laid out clear lockdown instructions that anyone with symptoms had to stay at home for 7 days and if other people are in the household everyone must stay at home for 14 days after the last person shows symptoms.

This is a sacking offence and no amount of spin can get around that.

This. 

This. 

This. 

A poster on this board has a relative who died of it.

Maybe you should explain to then that it feels really unnecessary.

JudyJudyJudy

This. 

This. 

This. 

Yeah that has been worrying that people have just agreed to loose their civil liberties due to this.? Whilst i agree that the lockdown has been necessary , and it has surely impacted on the containment of it , on more of a socialogical reason it is now concerning people have now been so infantilized and now are scared shitless to go out their house or have any human contact.   Parents in particular seem to be more neurotic than others in the general population when in fact 5 children out of child population of 5 million have died in the UK.  Yes i understand parents concerns and anxiety but children are very very low risk.

Sooperstar

This. 

This. 

This. 

It's almost as if going into lockdown has had the desired effect of lessening the impact of the virus.

Jambo-Jimbo

This. 

This. 

This. 

I know 2 guys who would disagree with you, both spent around 3 weeks in hospital, one of them 3 days in ICU on a ventilator, pretty sure they'd tell you that it's a lot worse then a bout of the flu.

Mrs JJ knew someone who died from this and as another poster pointed out a poster on here lost a relative from this as well.

In fairness, you are basing your opinion on what personal knowledge you know about Covid-19, as am I, and what I know from people I know, is that it's hit them a hell of a lot harder then the people you know, therefore my opinion of this is going to different from yours.

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It's almost as if going into lockdown has had the desired effect of lessening the impact of the virus.

Only 36675 have died In the UK. MASSIVE overreaction.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I know a couple of people who have died recently too. People die all the time. Tragically and through illness. I don’t feel like I have to explain myself to anyone about it though. 

7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I’m not disputing that I was disputing people saying they’re prepared to live like this until there’s a vaccine. Assuming we ever even get one. That’s absolutely nuts imo for something that is making most people mildly ill. 

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah that has been worrying that people have just agreed to loose their civil liberties due to this.? Whilst i agree that the lockdown has been necessary , and it has surely impacted on the containment of it , on more of a socialogical reason it is now concerning people have now been so infantilized and now are scared shitless to go out their house or have any human contact.   Parents in particular seem to be more neurotic than others in the general population when in fact 5 children out of child population of 5 million have died in the UK.  Yes i understand parents concerns and anxiety but children are very very low risk.

Bang on mate. 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It's certainly taken some of the pressure off the NHS for a bit, but it'll probably get to most of us eventually.

12 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I think you should be outraged on their behalf.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I know 2 guys who would disagree with you, both spent around 3 weeks in hospital, one of them 3 days in ICU on a ventilator, pretty sure they'd tell you that it's a lot worse then a bout of the flu.

Mrs JJ knew someone who died from this and as another poster pointed out a poster on here lost a relative from this as well.

In fairness, you are basing your opinion on what personal knowledge you know about Covid-19, as am I, and what I know from people I know, is that it's hit them a hell of a lot harder then the people you know, therefore my opinion of this is going to different from yours.

Fair dos jim. 
I wasn’t against the precautionary measures and I observed them all but it’s feeling a bit much now. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

I dont want to sound 

As a matter of interest can I ask their age?

Both over 65.

It would be interesting what the ages of JD&C's friends were, perhaps they were a lot younger.

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I heard he said both him and his wife had covid and couldn't look after their child so went to the grandparents as an emergency, but lived in a separate building.

I don't have much time for Cummings but that sounds like a plausible excuse, if true.

cummingsandgoings.jpg

Unknown user

This. 

This. 

This. 

Yeah, my mrs' uncle's brother died, and his wife never found out, she was in a coma and passed before waking.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

Shapps drew the short straw there. 

Meanwhile the Buffoon is in hiding again. 

He kept trying to divert the subject onto some regional infrastructure upgrades.

I think the Tories realise they could be Donald ducked without Cummings.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, my mrs' uncle's brother died, and his wife never found out, she was in a coma and passed before waking.

Thats really tragic man I’m sorry to hear that. 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree with this. 

We live with risk everyday, crossing the road is a risk. This is just another risk we are going to have to learn to live with. Sensible precautions can be implemented that should control the thing.

I do think the lockdown will result in more damage than the virus causes. Hope I’m wrong but we do need to get out of this quickly and orderly. Its human nature to be selfish about our self preservation. However, equally we seem to expect all manner of other people to operate in the ‘outside’ world being NHS, food, delivery driver, posties etc etc. All of us who are able to, and that is the vast majority, need to get back to living life for everyone’s benefit and that includes kids getting back to school and people returning to work where practicable.

Cheers

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic