Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

vegas-voss
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I see their are a number of anti lockdown protests happening this weekend.

Can’t imagine they will get much traction but I do sense people are becoming less convinced of the merits of lockdown. 

Anti lockdown or anti SNP seemingly organised by a women who used to be behind Britain First 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You are both, of course, correct. 

I'm still for letting them crack on with it. 

Darwinian principles at work. 👍

The more that go the merrier imo. 👍

The right to protest has NOT been taken away.

As long as you wear masks and social distance you can march up and down all you want.

The far-right are loving lockdown; get to blame brown/yellow people for it, get to moan about "muh freedums", get to take advantage of the economic disaster to whip up support (far right membership goes way up as soon as money gets tight which is why they've been having a ball since 2009), everybody is at home all day with nothing to do but read and make up new conspiracy theories.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

We can all give anecdotal evidence of whatever side of the argument we are on, like - I was sitting in my front garden playing a guitar while keeping an eye on my kids cycling on the path in front of the house when a guy from down the road was passing and came into my garden and right up to me taking my guitar so he could tell me how great it was. Clearly he got the message from the PM that lockdown was over and project fear never happened, certainly not enough.

I think Stay Alert is the wrong message at the wrong time and the change to green from red on the poster is a huge mistake message wise.

I am not sure what side of the argument I am supposed to be on. I was just making a couple of observations. and perhaps helping those who struggle to understand what stay alert means.

"Stay home if you can, stay alert, particularly having regard to social distancing,  if you can't" would cover the ground I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I am not sure what side of the argument I am supposed to be on. I was just making a couple of observations. and perhaps helping those who struggle to understand what stay alert means.

"Stay home if you can, stay alert, particularly having regard to social distancing,  if you can't" would cover the ground I suppose.

I guess if you stay alert you'll be abundantly clear that lockdown isn't over as you'll have been paying attention so it kind of works as it is.

Judging by this thread there seems to be supposed mass confusion over the message despite the FM being very clear. Where there is a bit of a grey area is seemingly in England...yet I've not experienced that in the slightest. Maybe people living in Scotland should continue to follow the advice from Nicola Sturgeon (good advice imo) and leave worrying about what Boris has or hasn't done to those it affects; those who incidentally don't actually seem confused or worried by what he's said.

Edited by Taffin

Nicola Sturgeon will share more information on possible relaxations of lockdown next week and possible "small changes". 

Latest briefing on now. 

Edited by Mikey1874

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

See the death figure (3,409). What does “including presumed” mean?

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Where no positive test done?

Just now, TheOak88 said:

People they think are dead...but might not be. 

No, I think it means people they don't know actually died from Covid-19 but have guessed it may have been due to that.

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I guess if you stay alert you'll be abundantly clear that lockdown isn't over as you'll have been paying attention so it kind of works as it is.

Judging by this thread there seems to be supposed mass confusion over the message despite the FM being very clear. Where there is a bit of a grey area is seemingly in England...yet I've not experienced that in the slightest. Maybe people living in Scotland should continue to follow the advice from Nicola Sturgeon (good advice imo) and leave worrying about what Boris has or hasn't done to those it affects; those who incidentally don't actually seem confused or worried by what he's said.

Don't you think it's rather confusing an contradictory that you're breaking the rules by meeting with more than one member of your family in a park, yet if 10 members of your family go on the same bus or tube you can all pack together like sardines, no probs.

34 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Anti lockdown or anti SNP seemingly organised by a women who used to be behind Britain First 

Wouldn't be happening if it was the other way round. They'd be holding a pro lockdown protest. 

7 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Don't you think it's rather confusing an contradictory that you're breaking the rules by meeting with more than one member of your family in a park, yet if 10 members of your family go on the same bus or tube you can all pack together like sardines, no probs.

It's contradictory and doesn't seem logical (I also don't think it's the advice they've given), but I don't think it's confusing in any way.

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, redjambo said:

Of being badly affected by the virus, not of being carriers and transmitting it to other people.

Yes thanks 

AlimOzturk
16 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

You think that was delibrerate?

I mean, they might have cropped it to fit the front page without giving any thought to the colour of the bairns. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Mighty Thor
26 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I mean, they might have cropped it to fit the front page without giving any thought to the colour of the bairns. 

The Daily Nazi?

Nah they wouldn't stoop that low.

:cornette:

26 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I'm trying to work out who has racism issues there, the paper or the person who complained. I'm leaning towards the latter 

I would imprison the anti-lockdown,  anti-vaxxer,  David Icke-ist weirdos on national security grounds.    Not even joking.    

Prison.  Open cells.   Exercise yard.  Mingle amongst yourselves to your heart's content.

This new UK government fronted attack on teachers, Bus drivers , train drivers and other public servants is a new low. Trying to turn the general public against them, so they go to work under fear of virus is fecking scandalous!

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This new UK government fronted attack on teachers, Bus drivers , train drivers and other public servants is a new low. Trying to turn the general public against them, so they go to work under fear of virus is fecking scandalous!

Yip. The new narrative to cover their absolutely pish poor handling of the crisis. 

They've run out of dead cats so now its the classic Tory divide and rule.

They'll be onto Sturgeon soon enough for using lockdown to break up the UK. BBC Newsnight were at it last night. 

16 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm trying to work out who has racism issues there, the paper or the person who complained. I'm leaning towards the latter 

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Yip. The new narrative to cover their absolutely pish poor handling of the crisis. 

They've run out of dead cats so now its the classic Tory divide and rule.

They'll be onto Sturgeon soon enough for using lockdown to break up the UK. BBC Newsnight were at it last night. 

It's already started. Led by 2 surnames and Richard the bore. Every press conference is a BBC/Tory care home agenda. Yes they've fecked it up, and deserve it. On that, the SNP are their own worst enemy. They did it with drug deaths anaw. Man smokes joint and gets hit with bus,  Drug death, rUK fatal car accident.

Edited by ri Alban

Francis Albert

According to Public Health England the number of new cases in London on May 10th was 24, and the R number 0.4, with new cases halving every 3 days. 

Although at first sight it sounds too good to be true I think this is good news even if there is I suspect some uncertainty about the figures.

37 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Didn't catch the exact words but the EIS have written to Swinney begging him not to follow the 'highly irresponsible' UK course of action.

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

That is great news, if true, were they not saying on QT last night it was .75 in London, I wasn't really paying close attention TBF.

It does show us though that Scotland is still some way behind on the numbers though.

Was London not around 2-3 weeks ahead of pretty much rUK?

Pretty incredible numbers out of a city the size of London. 

Puts context against the images of rammed buses and tube trains if they are on top of it that much. 👍

A special envoy to the World Health Organisation on the Covid-19 pandemic has told the BBC he is impressed with how Scotland is handling the pandemic response.

Dr David Nabarro, who has previously worked with the United Nations and the Director-General of the WHO, said Nicola Sturgeon's prudent approach to easing lockdown restrictions was a good policy.

He said he was impressed with both the leadership of the government, talking directly to people and connecting with them and with the public health authorities building up their capacity.

Quote Message: Comparing Scotland with other parts of Europe, other parts of the world, I'd say you're doing good because you are tackling it carefully and logically. You are thinking through how do we make sure people are safe and how do we make sure the economy can restart? And you are layering these two together. There are some countries which are saying it's either the economy or people's health and they are presenting it as a choice. It's not a choice. You are watching, learning, applying, coming to terms with it. And most importantly you are levelling with the people what the government is trying to work through." from Dr David Nabarro Special envoy to the World Health Organisation on Covid-19

Comparing Scotland with other parts of Europe, other parts of the world, I'd say you're doing good because you are tackling it carefully and logically. You are thinking through how do we make sure people are safe and how do we make sure the economy can restart? And you are layering these two together. There are some countries which are saying it's either the economy or people's health and they are presenting it as a choice. It's not a choice. You are watching, learning, applying, coming to terms with it. And most importantly you are levelling with the people what the government is trying to work through."

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Bless. 😊

An old friend of mine, who's Dad was in hospital for 80 odd days with Covid was released and now is back in hospital with Covid again.

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Reuter’s claiming the government are saying the r rate is now between 0.7 and 1.0.

Unable to provide a link, sorry.

Edit - here’s Sky’s take

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-r-infection-number-as-high-as-1-after-rising-over-past-week-sage-says-11988983

The PHE R number I referred to was specific to London. As London was first into the epidemic I'd expect UK to be higher assuming the overall trend is downwards or even just flattish.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

An old friend of mine, who's Dad was in hospital for 80 odd days with Covid was released and now is back in hospital with Covid again.

That’s brutal.

Hopefully comes through it alright.

Brighton Jambo
4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Whether ‘stay alert’ is right or not it’s clear that it couldn’t have remained ‘stay home’ given the new recommendations.

If the advice in England is that you can now return to work (in certain industries) and can go outside more and yet the advice had remained  ‘stay home’ the UK government would be being heavily criticised for having a contradictory message.  Damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

i feel it might be too soon to make the changes they made but I completely understand why given those changes the stay home message needed updated.  I do think some of the criticism of that particular change is opportunism of the part of the opposition.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

I would imprison the anti-lockdown,  anti-vaxxer,  David Icke-ist weirdos on national security grounds.    Not even joking.    

Prison.  Open cells.   Exercise yard.  Mingle amongst yourselves to your heart's content.

When we get to anything like normal I would be brutal towards the anti-vaxxers specially in relation to this disease.  All the sacrifices we have made and a proportion of the people will

swan around refusing to get vaccinated and risking flare ups.

their choice as it stands but I would

make it so they can’t fly anywhere, their kids can’t go to school etc. 

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

When we get to anything like normal I would be brutal towards the anti-vaxxers specially in relation to this disease.  All the sacrifices we have made and a proportion of the people will

swan around refusing to get vaccinated and risking flare ups.

their choice as it stands but I would

make it so they can’t fly anywhere, their kids can’t go to school etc. 

No Jab No Pay is a good example of how pressure can be applied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Jab_No_Pay

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s brutal.

Hopefully comes through it alright.

The poor bloke has had other health issues lately too, this is just terrible.

25 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Sorry to hear that. 

2 lads from my work just received 5 and 4 grand each. Self employed thingy. 

:yas:

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The poor bloke has had other health issues lately too, this is just terrible.

The sad thing is their are scumbags who won’t catch the virus.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

He must have caught it well before the lockdown then.

One of those cases which existed but no one knew about or as it turns out took enough notice of..must have been late January/ early Feb he was first hospitalised I presume

Should go without saying but hope he comes out of it safe and sound

Edited by CJGJ

9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He must have caught it well before the lockdown then.

One of those cases which existed but no one knew about or as it turns out took enough notice of..must have been late January/ early Feb he was first hospitalised I presume

Should go without saying but hope he comes out of it safe and sound

Went into hospital in early February I think.

The Internet
5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Shopping in Boots yesterday for a few essentials I was walking down an aisle looking for something on the shelf when I glanced up and saw a woman walking towards me. I was still 2m away but had been moving in her direction. She literally leapt back, a look of sheer terror on her face (before someone makes the crack it is not how people normally react to me … but another few weeks without a haircut and it may become the new normal).

Anyway two things.

First it brought home the "Stay Alert" message which has been derided and some including the FM claim not to understand. When staying home it wasn't something you had to worry about  - indeed my alertness steadily declined, as I discovered after driving for the first time in weeks. But with the need for social distancing particularly as places get more crowded, staying alert is probably the most important thing to do and the most difficult.

Second some people are going to be seriously psychologically damaged by the levels of fear that have been instilled, often based on no evidence of significant risk. The chances of getting the virus simply by passing someone in the street or even in the aisle of a shop is minimal - infinitesimal really. Yet I have seen people leap into the road to face speeding oncoming traffic, or scuttle up a side street to avoid passing someone walking on the other side of the pavement.

Tbh, I'm not sure if it's just me but I reckon people are more scared of being seen making a slight distancing misstep than actually catching this thing :lol: like today I was at a supermarket waiting at the checkout and a guy had loaded his shopping on the conveyor belt, he was away at the bagging bit but one of his items fell off near my end, I was quite near so without thinking I just picked it up for him and put it back on the belt. Don't think the guy even noticed but I was just like 'shit should I have even done that' and immediately expected to be arrested or something :lol: ludicrous. 

Also on the walk home I seen a wee old woman avoid the danger of another person walking past her by stepping out into a main road, not just off the kerb but a good 2 or 3 feet onto it. Don't think she'd fully weighed up the risks of each of those options. 

manaliveits105

SG only now going to intervene if care home services found to be inadequate -

ironic that Ian Blackford the critic of the UK gov’s handling of the crisis is the MP for Skye - he’s hibsed it again after his cobra gaff

vegas-voss
15 minutes ago, graygo said:

Trump promises a vaccine at scale by the end of 2020.

His own advisor Fauci  said it was 12 to 18 months away from being mass produced.

I suppose the balance between when the economy failing outweighs the damage done to health via the virus and the damage done to health via how deep a recession.

Already poverty absolute is to rise by 40 -60 million.

That's mostly the Africa that will suffer that.

Even here it's hard to imagine already poorly funded services wont suffer going forward due to any economic fall out.

It's a difficult science .

Maybe one lesson for future would be an emphasis on shielding.

"What does the government intend to do to ease the double pressures on businesses in Northern Ireland impacted by the lockdown and by pending Brexit border checks?"

Hancock says the government intends to deliver on the referendum result.

:silviodamn:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic