Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I suppose if you are catering for every single eventuality. Still safer than walking around a supermarket or B&Q. And it has a real physical and mental health benefit which IMO far outweighs the slim chance of a breakdown or crash.

Indeed but it creates absolutely no benefit to the economy ( the governments reasoning not mine) and is actually costing clubs money if there’s no pro shop or bar takings. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Gulpener said:

Hi mate. Thanks for that. I have tried this site but when  i get to their drop down menu they only offer the following..:I have been self isolating since mid March and do not have symtoms of the CV or live with anyone with it ?  Thats where i am struggling ? 

Why do you have to stay at home?

I have symptoms of coronavirus
I live with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus
Why are we asking this? Continue

Support links

© Crown copyright

This website only stores the cookies that are needed to make it work. Read more about how we use cookies.

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

It was also pointed out this morning that some people are tested more than once a day.So if they do the test it doesn't work for whatever reason they do it again and they count both test 😂

If you do two you count two tests, why is that a problem? Are you just seeing something that isn't there? 

vegas-voss
3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

If you do two you count two tests, why is that a problem? Are you just seeing something that isn't there? 

What's the point in counting a faulty test 

Just now, vegas-voss said:

What's the point in counting a faulty test 

You use up the testing kit which has to be accounted for? 

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hi mate. Thanks for that. I have tried this site but when  i get to their drop down menu they only offer the following..:I have been self isolating since mid March and do not have symtoms of the CV or live with anyone with it ?  Thats where i am struggling ? 

Support links

© Crown copyright

This website only stores the cookies that are needed to make it work. Read more about how we use cookies.

What am I missing?

If you have no symptoms and neither does anyone you live with then why do you need to self isolate?

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Support links

© Crown copyright

why have you been self isolating since mid March, with no symptoms and not living with anyone with symptoms? 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Can you narrow it down to which lie Starmer is referring to?

:lol:

9 minutes ago, graygo said:

What am I missing?

If you have no symptoms and neither does anyone you live with then why do you need to self isolate?

2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

why have you been self isolating since mid March, with no symptoms and not living with anyone with symptoms? 

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Echo chamber, much! 

Not half. 😁

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Not half. 😁

I presume because he’s considered as vulnerable due to another illness etc.

James - I think you can request confirmation via your doctors surgery mate.

6 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Ah right, makes sense then.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

What virus? 6 deep at the icecream van in Port Seton, weans pushing adults out the way...:scenes:

Port Seton?

They'll be fine mate. Same bloodline. 👍

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Port Seton?

They'll be fine mate. Same bloodline. 👍

Aye, quite a few ballop connected.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Sweden have had 3,400 deaths with their approach. The had 2000 deaths with the Asian flu. Even accounting for their 30% rise in population since 1957, you can see why this is a bit more serious than Asian flu. 

Where did I say it wasn't more serious?

Anyway 3400 is equivalent to 22,000 here by head of population, far below the lowest number of deaths estimated here so the jury is still out on whether or how much strict lockdown helps. 

In ten or twenty years someone will be able to do an analysis of the impact of different strategies on deaths, short term and longer term, and on other impacts. We have another decade at least when we are free to throw around accusations without the nuisance of hard facts. 

I have read a couple of things today suggesting Sweden's approach is gaining more positive attention. Whisper it, but the dreaded and inhuman herd immunity may help to avoid a second wave there.

Edited by Francis Albert

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Underlying health condition but not at the " Sheilding " level. 

JudyJudyJudy
28 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Yes that's it.  Yeah problem is i spoke to receptionist at surgery and she said I had to go online to the Scottish NHS site hence posting the response i got when i did. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Out of interest what %age of the UK population are in care homes compared to other similar sized (population wise) European countries? Is that a factor?

Also, I’ve heard the UK described as the “sick man of Europe” which I assume refers to the general health of the population, is this a factor? 

Just comparing absolute numbers can be fairly meaningless. 

We are certainly the fat man of Europe, topping the obesity league. And obesity is a major factor,

And the proportions in care homes will be another factor but intuitively you'd think Spain and Italy would have fewer elderly in care homes given that generations tend to live together more, but on the face of it  doesn't seem to have helped them much. (With the usual caveat that there are no comparable numbers available for almost anything to do with the Coronavirus epidemic)

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Anyway 3400 is equivalent to 22,000 here by head of population, far below the lowest number of deaths estimated her so the jury is still out on whether or how much strict lockdown helps. 

In ten or twenty years someone will be able to do an analysis of the impact of different strategies on deaths, short term and longer term, and on other impacts. We have another decade at least when we are free to throw around accusations without the nuisance of hard facts. 

I have read a couple of things today suggesting Sweden's approach is gaining more positive attention. Whisper it, but the dreaded and inhuman herd immunity may help to avoid a second wave there.

As noted before Sweden has low density populations scattered all over the place and highest level of people living on their own so this has helped.  However it is interesting their death rate and something to think about. 

JudyJudyJudy
46 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Sorry guys my head has been in a bit of a muddle lately.  I have been told like others in mid March to stay at home as much as i can, not to " self isolate" as such. That's where i have been confused. However I have an underlying health condition which makes me more vulnerable to being more ill than others if i caught CV.  I am in the category below  shielding one. I can go out but only for " essential" things and exericise , and socially distance .  The same as the general population. However I spoke to work colleague who stated that our employer has to guarantee that they will have adequate protection and safety at work if I return back to work. However my job is in social work which involves face to face contact with clients so naturally there is more of a risk , plus i share a large office with others.  

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

As noted before Sweden has low density populations scattered all over the place and highest level of people living on their own so this has helped.  However it is interesting their death rate and something to think about. 

Sweden is I believe more urbanised than the UK.  People living on their own and without aging relatives will however help.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Dr Jenny Harris of PHE is just a waffling BS'er...utter nonsense blether those answers were!

She's certainly being trotted out a bit more these days. She's clearly 'on message'

J.T.F.Robertson
9 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Meanwhile the government has further clarified its guidance for safe return.
Individuals should refrain from coughing close to others because of the danger of droplet transmission.
Anyone who does cough close to you should be told to far cough.

That's pretty decent. 👍

Jeremy Hunt should keep his mooth shut. He was fecking abysmal whilst in Hancock's shoes.

Notice that the COBRA daily slides have all been changed so we're not showing the UK's deaths compared to anybody else any more.

200.gif

vegas-voss
15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Jeremy Hunt should keep his mooth shut. He was fecking abysmal whilst in Hancock's shoes.

Probably the best guy to grill them just now though as I think he still feels scorned by the leadership contest.I do see the irony though and did Hancock not fire back to him when he was in front of him before something along the lines of -  you better ask the previous guy in charge that question.

vegas-voss
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Notice that the COBRA daily slides have all been changed so we're not showing the UK's deaths compared to anybody else any more.

200.gif

Starmer  mentioned it to Boris today

38 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sweden is I believe more urbanised than the UK.  People living on their own and without aging relatives will however help.

Sweden has a population density less than 10% of that of the UK. That would suggest it is a **** of a lot less urbanised than the UK. If you want any evidence about how pointless these comparisons are consider these things.

Germany claims that less than 8000 have died from Covid 19. Last week Merkel admitted that virtually no deaths outside of hospital had been included in the figures. The regional authorities are reporting a high number of deaths in care homes but these are not yet official and I'm sure will not be published anytime soon. 

For those who are shouting that the real figure in the UK is 50000, bear in mind that this is based on the ONS figures which are based on comparisons for previous years. They say that deaths in care homes are 10000 higher than last year. However, deaths of the elderly in Hospitals from non Covid illnesses are around 8000 lower, and this has not been taken into consideration. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Anyway 3400 is equivalent to 22,000 here by head of population, far below the lowest number of deaths estimated here so the jury is still out on whether or how much strict lockdown helps. 

I’m like you in wondering what this draconian lockdown is likely to achieve and would be far more into Sweden’s approach. Riskier? Yes but you can’t live your life like this. 
Like everything though we won’t know for years which one is the correct decision. Almost feels like the modern way of reaction to everything now and because of social media there’s just no escape it’s just 24/7 doom. 
Im in no doubt some people get into this with a gusto and really enjoy it. Enjoy posting the doom or outrage stories relentlessly and trying to scare people. 
Either that or trying to turn it into a indy debate. 
****ing tedious. 

6 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Sweden has a population density less than 10% of that of the UK. That would suggest it is a **** of a lot less urbanised than the UK. If you want any evidence about how pointless these comparisons are consider these things.

Germany claims that less than 8000 have died from Covid 19. Last week Merkel admitted that virtually no deaths outside of hospital had been included in the figures. The regional authorities are reporting a high number of deaths in care homes but these are not yet official and I'm sure will not be published anytime soon. 

For those who are shouting that the real figure in the UK is 50000, bear in mind that this is based on the ONS figures which are based on comparisons for previous years. They say that deaths in care homes are 10000 higher than last year. However, deaths of the elderly in Hospitals from non Covid illnesses are around 8000 lower, and this has not been taken into consideration. 

Er, no. Population density is a measure of the total population of an area relative to the size of the area. It doesn't provide an indication of how urbanised the area is. You could have a country, to take an example, which has a massive landmass but everybody lives in the one city in that country - the population density would be low but urbanisation would be 100%.

Here is a map of the urbanisation percentages of European countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_countries_by_percentage_of_urban_population

According to that data, Sweden is 86% urbanised, while the UK is 82% urbanised.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Sweden has a population density less than 10% of that of the UK. That would suggest it is a **** of a lot less urbanised than the UK. 

The place is twice the physical size of Britain with a population of only 10 million, 57 inhabitants per square mile compared to our 701 as you say.

But there's a whole lot of not very much in Sweden and 87% live in urban areas compared to 83% in the UK.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.URB.TOTL.IN.ZS

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m like you in wondering what this draconian lockdown is likely to achieve and would be far more into Sweden’s approach. Riskier? Yes but you can’t live your life like this. 
Like everything though we won’t know for years which one is the correct decision. Almost feels like the modern way of reaction to everything now and because of social media there’s just no escape it’s just 24/7 doom. 
Im in no doubt some people get into this with a gusto and really enjoy it. Enjoy posting the doom or outrage stories relentlessly and trying to scare people. 
*Either that or trying to turn it into a indy debate. 
****ing tedious. 

Only one or two are forever going on about it. Both onion eaters. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the one bit of advice about using public transport is try to use it when it is quieter. how the hell is that possible if say you have to be at work at a specific time? or what if everyone thinks oh the bus will be quieter at 9.30 and everyone goes for that one.

They are advising employers to be “ flexible “ about work times , staggering times for workers 

JudyJudyJudy

6 people in intensive care in the Lothian area ! That’s certainly an improvement to several weeks ago . Obviously not great for those in ICU though . 

vegas-voss
15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

They are advising employers to be “ flexible “ about work times , staggering times for workers 

In England they are talking about having building sites open to 9pm and even later in some areas with staggered work times.

Compare Sweden (herd immunity) to all the other nations around them who are doing proper lockdown, test&trace.

The difference is marked.

23 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Er, no. Population density is a measure of the total population of an area relative to the size of the area. It doesn't provide an indication of how urbanised the area is. You could have a country, to take an example, which has a massive landmass but everybody lives in the one city in that country - the population density would be low but urbanisation would be 100%.

Here is a map of the urbanisation percentages of European countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_countries_by_percentage_of_urban_population

According to that data, Sweden is 86% urbanised, while the UK is 82% urbanised.

So urbanisation figures are probably pointless in discussing the spread of corona virus. 

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

So urbanisation figures are probably pointless in discussing the spread of corona virus. 

There are many factors involved in the spread of Covid-19 and reality will probably involve a complex interplay between them. Just because one of the factors doesn't provide the whole answer doesn't mean it should be dismissed.

25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The place is twice the physical size of Britain with a population of only 10 million, 57 inhabitants per square mile compared to our 701 as you say.

But there's a whole lot of not very much in Sweden and 87% live in urban areas compared to 83% in the UK.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.URB.TOTL.IN.ZS

That's true and Sweden's entire population is slightly bigger than London. 

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

There are many factors involved in the spread of Covid-19 and reality will probably involve a complex interplay between them. Just because one of the factors doesn't provide the whole answer doesn't mean it should be dismissed.

Agreed

Ehllhayapeh
2 hours ago, Tynieman said:

If thats the case youll get a letter from the scottish government confirming this and likely a call to checkup from your GP. Despite being in  Mexico I still got one sent to my Scottish address and family recieved the GP call.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

If thats the case youll get a letter from the scottish government confirming this and likely a call to checkup from your GP. Despite being in  Mexico I still got one sent to my Scottish address and family recieved the GP call.

Cool. Ill look into this. 

Edited by JamesM48

29 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Correct although the advice is that if you haven't received the letter then speak to your GP (if you can get past the receptionist) 😁

Pretty sure Scotland will be the same.

Screenshot_20200513-203515.png

Spellczech
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Covid is mainly in the cities though, and this is a comparison of the 2 capitals...

image.thumb.png.c5b9cfa25e26740ecade257b8a905a35.png

vegas-voss
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Covid is mainly in the cities though, and this is a comparison of the 2 capitals...

Hardest hit part of the UK is a town in North West of England and the 2nd hardest hit is in the North East.

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Thank You

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Hardest hit part of the UK is a town in North West of England and the 2nd hardest hit is in the North East.

Proportionately but not in real terms - I think Univ of Birmingham is the hospital which has seen most deaths. London is the town/city which has seen most.

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Proportionately but not in real terms - I think Univ of Birmingham is the hospital which has seen most deaths. London is the town/city which has seen most.

Aye proportionally you are right.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic