Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Or Boxers, MMA fighters, mountain climbers, hill walkers, sky divers etc... etc...

Marathon runners, motor cyclists, cyclists and other road users who drive recklessly, the many in my age group who have overindulged in "fitness" regimes including excessive jogging to the extent they need knee and hip replacements. In fact the NHS would just deal with fit patients whose illnesses are entirely outwith individuals' control and we could close half the hospitals and sack half the doctors and nurses. Starting with the many who don't follow their own advice.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

As is well known I do not like either the SNP or Nicola Sturgeon.

But I think she has come across really well during this crisis, she had been straight talking,  empathetic and has made herself available literally every single day to the press conference.  The poor women should treat herself to a day off as she may be exhausted.  Even the most hate filled unionist would struggle to criticise her for delegating just one of the press conferences.  

She had last Sunday off, bloody malingerer. 😉

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

But I think she has come across really well during this crisis, she had been straight talking,  empathetic and has made herself available literally every single day to the press conference.  The poor women should treat herself to a day off as she may be exhausted.  Even the most hate filled unionist would struggle to criticise her for delegating just one of the press conferences.  

This is were I’m at as i couldn’t be bothered with all her indy 2 crap but she’s done really well last couple of months and might have got a few more votes along the way 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Yeah

A nasty little aside in the last paragraph at the end of a Telegraph article which is littered with "the Prime Minister is reported to have said.." (double speak for this is what he said but he will deny it if anyone can prove it is wrong) suggests that PHE is also being lined up in the blame game.

“But, according to several MPs on the call, he made it clear that “there was no question of moving to austerity and he would double down on capital projects like Northern Powerhouse Rail” to get the economy going.

The crisis could be a “springboard for our ambitions” he reportedly said, with the Government already committed to increasing spending on health and policing. His approach, he reportedly said, was “unlike any other Conservative government we have had… we are going to make sure we level up right across the country and keep faith with the people who voted for us”.

Asked directly whether there would be a pay freeze for NHS workers, Mr Johnson reportedly replied: “Absolutely not. Anyone who suggests that can sit on it.”

The Prime Minister said he would “look at” the idea of partial furloughs for employees at small firms, which could allow the Government and businesses to jointly pay staff salaries as the UK comes out of lockdown.

Asked whether he wanted to tax his way out of the crisis, he reportedly replied that Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor, was examining “innovative” solutions to help entrepreneurs emerge from the lockdown measures.

One Tory MP said the Prime Minister gave the impression that “they are looking at liberalising the tax regime rather than tightening it” and the Government would “look after” those on the lowest incomes.

Speaking about the Government’s coronavirus strategy and how to keep the infection rate down, Mr Johnson said: “We mustn’t let the mugger get back off the floor, and we’re going to play Whack-a-Mole across the country wherever coronavirus flares up.”

Looking ahead, he suggested he would examine reforming how health quango PHE is run once lessons from the Government’s handling of the crisis start to be learned.“

You are reading a lot into the last sentence. The Telegraph from the beginning of this (and before) has consistently questioned the need for two huge bureaucracies (PHE and NHS management) whose roles seem to have a lot of overlap. The suggestion may have been prompted by the interviewer.

50 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Shouldn't even be allowed into an ambulance or A&E if it comes to that...

38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Neither should smokers, Drinkers, or drug addicts. If that's the case.

33 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Or Boxers, MMA fighters, mountain climbers, hill walkers, sky divers etc... etc...

@Spellczech's post related to people indulging in an illegal activity, none of yours did. Maybe the drug addicts right enough.

They shouldn't be denied treatment imo but there should be a bill handed to them for it, again imo.

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

@Spellczech's post related to people indulging in an illegal activity, none of yours did. Maybe the drug addicts right enough.

They shouldn't be denied treatment imo but there should be a bill handed to them for it, again imo.

Yeh it shouldn't be preventative at the point of treatment but I do think some things should involve more payment after treatment. It's also much easier to get people to pay when they've personally experienced the benefit which would allow us to spend more on healthcare.

If asked to pay an additional £1000 to the NHS I'd be against it. Fix a broken arm or the like for something id brought in myself and then I'm sure I'd be quite happy paying saying £100 a month after the fact for a year. Sounds so incredibly selfish and illogical but if the outcome was people realising the cost they'd put on the NHS and then contributing (even a small amount) to their treatment, then added up it would make a huge difference.

Edit: on the point of legality, surely those things are illegal as they pose a risk to the well-being of the person, others or society. Obesity ticks tick two of those boxes in terms of damage to the person and to society by way of healthcare costs. Maybe it should also be illegal or charged for the healthcare...the latter what riAlban is suggesting.

Edited by Taffin

scott herbertson
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

You are reading a lot into the last sentence. The Telegraph from the beginning of this (and before) has consistently questioned the need for two huge bureaucracies (PHE and NHS management) whose roles seem to have a lot of overlap. The suggestion may have been prompted by the interviewer.

Possibly

I freely admit to my view of this being coloured by being narked by the method of communicating government policy by drip feeding suggestions to the friendl(ier) press and seeing how much outrage they provoke.

Reviewing the structure of health services is a no brainer, but shouldn't be done with a presumption of outcome as this seems imply (the word quango, while accurate is reserved in my experience for organisations soon for the chop). A review of the delivery of health services should be all encompassing - civil service, publich health, NHS, GPs Dentists, opticians, local government and private sector providers. Something along the lines of Frank Fields's pension review.

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Possibly

I freely admit to my view of this being coloured by being narked by the method of communicating government policy by drip feeding suggestions to the friendl(ier) press and seeing how much outrage they provoke.

Reviewing the structure of health services is a no brainer, but shouldn't be done with a presumption of outcome as this seems imply (the word quango, while accurate is reserved in my experience for organisations soon for the chop). A review of the delivery of health services should be all encompassing - civil service, publich health, NHS, GPs Dentists, opticians, local government and private sector providers. Something along the lines of Frank Fields's pension review.

Agreed. Indeed  it is long overdue, Coronavirus or no Coronavirus, under this and preceding governments. For avoidance of any doubt including of course care and nursing homes and their regulation. 

Realzaragoza
38 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

She gets an easy ride from the press up here - one question and no comeback . And she doesn't trust other ministers to deliver her message except at weekends .

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Agreed. Indeed  it is long overdue, Coronavirus or no Coronavirus, under this and preceding governments. For avoidance of any doubt including of course care and nursing homes and their regulation. 

Yep - I should have added aspects of social care to thst too, and a review of the capital assets. The piecemeal capital programme and dispersed asset management of the NHS is pretty awful in my experience

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Realzaragoza said:

She gets an easy ride from the press up here - one question and no comeback . And she doesn't trust other ministers to deliver her message except at weekends .

She has the health minister at her side at most of the briefings, plus there has been extensive parliamentary scrutiny. My impression is that the number of questions is far greater at the scotish briefings and that there is a fair amount of follow up as once she answers the next journalist will often pick up on that.  Compare that to Johnson, who doesn't even appear at most briefings.

On a lighter note,  BBC Berlin Correspondent, Jenny Hill, reported earlier from outside The Westfalenstadion, Dortmund, on the recommencement of Bundesliga football this afternoon.  While describing the precautions to be taken by the players she informed viewers that, 'Frankfurt had advise the team to disinfect their balls at half-time'.  I think we would all agree that that would be taking Covid 19 precautions a bit too far.  

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Realzaragoza said:

:cornette_dog:

skinnybob72
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Agree with this, don't agree with her politics but I've been impressed with her handling of the situation. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Yeh it shouldn't be preventative at the point of treatment but I do think some things should involve more payment after treatment. It's also much easier to get people to pay when they've personally experienced the benefit which would allow us to spend more on healthcare.

If asked to pay an additional £1000 to the NHS I'd be against it. Fix a broken arm or the like for something id brought in myself and then I'm sure I'd be quite happy paying saying £100 a month after the fact for a year. Sounds so incredibly selfish and illogical but if the outcome was people realising the cost they'd put on the NHS and then contributing (even a small amount) to their treatment, then added up it would make a huge difference.

Edit: on the point of legality, surely those things are illegal as they pose a risk to the well-being of the person, others or society. Obesity ticks tick two of those boxes in terms of damage to the person and to society by way of healthcare costs. Maybe it should also be illegal or charged for the healthcare...the latter what riAlban is suggesting.

I suppose I would fall into a lot of categories where future treatment may as a result of my lifestyle be needed and I can understand why people get annoyed .

I cant remember the last time I visited a doctor .

I think Alban was maybe making the point where do you say someone shouldnt get treatment.

Anyway I listened to a professor who correlated tyranny and health.

He I think concluded that the best way to avoid tyrannical regimes was to keep the population healthy .

I may be wrong as it was at times a bit beyond my scope of understanding 

But it made me look at the NHS as a kind of bull work.

Against a lot of things.

We all still on the whole trust our health service and I think it can be used as a marker for a reflection on politics.

You only need to look at 1930s Germany and look at the part played by Doctors in the implementation of Nazi ideology.

So I'm careful of being asked to pay extra for treatment if you are a drug addict for example .

Medical professionals already hold addiction as a disease.

As soon as medical decisions are based on political viewpoints we are in dangerous territory.

2 minutes ago, jake said:

I suppose I would fall into a lot of categories where future treatment may as a result of my lifestyle be needed and I can understand why people get annoyed .

I think Alban was maybe making the point where do you say someone shouldnt get treatment.

He I think concluded that the best way to avoid tyrannical regimes was to keep the population healthy .

Against a lot of things.

We all still on the whole trust our health service and I think it can be used as a marker for a reflection on politics.

You only need to look at 1930s Germany and look at the part played by Doctors in the implementation of Nazi ideology.

So I'm careful of being asked to pay extra for treatment if you are a drug addict for example .

As soon as medical decisions are based on political viewpoints we are in dangerous territory.

👍

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

There are other reasons they cannot do that. NIC records are a mess - partly due to many illegals using other peoples' NIC codes. HMRC are keen for everything to be done through PAYE as it takes the onus off them and puts it onto employers - this is the real reason for IR35. 

So there would be illegals not getting paid. Doesn't seem a particularly strong reason not to do it tbh.

Edited by Smithee

1 hour ago, Realzaragoza said:

Sturgeon is one of the most competent senior politicians in the UK.

And certainly the most competent leader.

If anything she should take it a bit easier .

It's a tough gig and not much to win politically.

She will be under pressure regarding the economy.I would bet shes not been pleasing construction etc.

We are lucky to have her leading I think given the others available.

17 minutes ago, jake said:

Against a lot of things.

Good post, really good post 👍

Regards the bit in bold I'd absolutely only be using my example in certain scenarios and I would be means testing that...similar to how Cuba charge for things like crutches for those who can afford it etc but just a little bit wider in scope to contribute towards some costs as well. Nobody should be refused treatment imo. What I would say though is medical decisions already are based on political viewpoints and likely always will be. The very existence of the NHS is due to a political viewpoint

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So there would be illegals not getting paid. Doesn't seem a particularly strong reason not to do it tbh.

Was it not just simpler to pay out through existing employers.

I'm not sure what you are getting at though.

Do you think we should have furloughed through the benefit system or created a new benefit?

I haven't read back not a dig just wondering what you have suggested.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, jake said:

Was it not just simpler to pay out through existing employers.

I'm not sure what you are getting at though.

Do you think we should have furloughed through the benefit system or created a new benefit?

I haven't read back not a dig just wondering what you have suggested.

Read back mate, I'm away back to bed 👍

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Good post, really good post 👍

Regards the bit in bold I'd absolutely only be using my example in certain scenarios and I would be means testing that...similar to how Cuba charge for things like crutches for those who can afford it etc but just a little bit wider in scope to contribute towards some costs as well. Nobody should be refused treatment imo. What I would say though is medical decisions already are based on political viewpoints and likely always will be. The very existence of the NHS is due to a political viewpoint

Yes I suppose everything is political.

But I think we can look at our Health service like we can look at our prison population or our justice system as good markers of our society.

And even those countries with the best of healthcare such as the USA which also has the worst in comparison to its wealth do reflect where it is regarding tyranny.

As an example Guantanamo .

Theres a real political battle in psychology mainstream over there regarding the use of psychological torture .

I've forgot the point I was trying to make if there was one 😂

Realzaragoza
46 minutes ago, jake said:

Sturgeon is one of the most competent senior politicians in the UK.

And certainly the most competent leader.

If anything she should take it a bit easier .

It's a tough gig and not much to win politically.

She will be under pressure regarding the economy.I would bet shes not been pleasing construction etc.

We are lucky to have her leading I think given the others available.

Suppose you're right , at least until Mr Salmond makes his comeback.

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I agree. People who destroy their own health then just pop along to hospitals are what has ruined the NHS. Obesity too., Unnecessary cosmetic plastic surgery and IVF should be paid for not free IMO....

Morons like you really shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's frightening. 

28 minutes ago, Realzaragoza said:

Suppose you're right , at least until Mr Salmond makes his comeback.

I disagree with some politicians but still appreciate those that are competent .

And shes a pretty smart cookie that also portrays guid Scottish traits.Something we can all give credit for.

She obviously talks the odd bit ay shite though as she is a politician.👍

5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Morons like you really shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's frightening. 

There are pertinent questions on what the NHS should provide though?

I've seen a few posts like this.

Where people are just dismissed .

I see the gammonati have started to dig into teachers now and expect them to get their arses back to work ASAP, as if schools are an essential business. 

Bonkers what some people genuinely think and believe. 

3 minutes ago, jake said:

Not that I disagree with the OP but there's far too many loopholes. If you use mental health as your reason for cosmetic surgery then you'd get it.

I can definitely see points for both sides though. Those shows where 40 stone people get free surgery/gastric bands is pretty infuriating.

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, jake said:

They really aren't pertinent questions. They're ridiculous. If the NHS shouldn't provide couples with assisted pregnancies then should people pay for C-sections? 

As for smokers and drinkers draining the NHS, I suggest you start asking more pertinent questions around taxation. 

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, The Brow said:

I see the gammonati have started to dig into teachers now and expect them to get their arses back to work ASAP, as if schools are an essential business. 

It'll work too. This country is full of complete morons. 

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

Unfortunately I think you maybe right. I cant even be arsed pointing out that teachers are actually still working and schools were never to be used as a free babysitter. 

You had kids, now look after them. 

11 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Not that I disagree with the OP but there's far too many loopholes. If you use mental health as your reason for cosmetic surgery then you'd get it.

I can definitely see points for both sides though. Those shows where 40 stone people get free surgery/gastric bands is pretty infuriating.

We all get nipped mate.

I get annoyed watching the sub culture of junkies even though I'm an addict myself(not a heroin one).

15 minutes ago, The Brow said:

:gok:

5 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Unfortunately I think you maybe right. I cant even be arsed pointing out that teachers are actually still working and schools were never to be used as a free babysitter. 

Whilst you're correct that they're not a free babysitter and I'm actually in agreement with your sentiment as well; the state do enforce compulsory education and the state has a tendency to fine people when they 'look after them' out of school so they've sort of made a rod for their own back. 

Either it is really important and essential to send your kids to school and it should therefore be one of the first things back...or it isn't.

1 minute ago, jake said:

We all get nipped mate.

I get annoyed watching the sub culture of junkies even though I'm an addict myself(not a heroin one).

Addicted to watching 9/11 conspiracies. We all know mate :)

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Whilst you're correct that they're not a free babysitter and I'm actually in agreement with your sentiment as well; the state do enforce compulsory education and the state has a tendency to fine people when they 'look after them' out of school so they've sort of made a rod for their own back. 

Either it is really important and essential to send your kids to school and it should therefore be one of the first things back...or it isn't.

Aye, to be fair I was being a little facetious with my babystting chat. 

It is essential to send your kids to school, especially looking at a lot of people who have kids, however, it's hardly going to stunt a child's development being home schooled for a few months. They should only be going back when it is safe to do so, not because some alt-right arsepieces want their businesses all back to normal. 

13 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

They really aren't pertinent questions. They're ridiculous. If the NHS shouldn't provide couples with assisted pregnancies then should people pay for C-sections? 

As for smokers and drinkers draining the NHS, I suggest you start asking more pertinent questions around taxation. 

So it's not pertinent to ask what the NHS delivers?

Or is it only pertinent if it matches what you think?

This calling for vote removal and labelling those who have different views morons means you think your views superior I take it?

As for IVF as an example there is lots of moral and ethical issues surrounding that that's impossible for everyone to agree on.

So an opposite view to yours doesnt mean its moronic and shouldnt ban you from a vote.

Just now, The Brow said:

Aye, to be fair I was being a little facetious with my babystting chat. 

It is essential to send your kids to school, especially looking at a lot of people who have kids, however, it's hardly going to stunt a child's development being home schooled for a few months. They should only be going back when it is safe to do so, not because some alt-right arsepieces want their businesses all back to normal. 

Oh yeh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you that it won't do any harm not to be there for a few months nor was it intended to diminish the great work our teachers do 👍

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I love a good hit on 9/11.

Just so satisfying knowing I'm right

😂

24 minutes ago, The Brow said:

This is government led bullying, through their  media propaganda machine. Hopefully the people of England don't fall for this, again.

Edited by ri Alban

Francis Albert
35 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Aren't schools a pretty essential business?

Long absences from school will undoubtedly damage the development and future lives of children.

And "gammonati"? Really? Whatever you call them they are generally talking about the unions rather than the teachers and some teachers agree with them. The unions' demands for guaranteed safety eg for transport workers would result in the permanent closing of much of the economy. 

19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Long absences from school will undoubtedly damage the development and future lives of children.

And "gammonati"? Really? Whatever you call them they are generally talking about the unions rather than the teachers and some teachers agree with them. The unions' demands for guaranteed safety eg for transport workers would result in the permanent closing of much of the economy. 

The summer holidays are 2 months. So far schools have been closed for less than 3 months, teachers are still working, giving out work and kids are being home schooled. They aren't absent. The Daily Mails headline yesterday was hilarious and pathetic in equal measure. 

The deaths of transport workers are massively on the governments hands, if you want teachers to follow suit then fair enough, I don't agree. 

21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Well there’s the small matter that they want the schools back but the private schools have declared they won’t reopen until September. 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well there’s the small matter that they want the schools back but the private schools have declared they won’t reopen until September. 

The private schools could be closed permanently and improve the education system and opportunities for most children.

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

I find most folk sound to be honest.

Especially the last 2 months.

I think in general considering the uncertainty and a not so competent government it's been fairly relaxed from the people.

It will start to crack of course.

Maybe the lockdown will end organically.

Anyway most people are sound and as long as the sound ones look out for each other I'm happy for everyone to get the vote.

😄

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The private schools could be closed permanently and improve the education system and opportunities for most children.

I'm surprised at that statement from you FA.

The Mighty Thor

They're absolutely choking to get schools back aren't they?

Jenny Harries (anyone else notice that Patrick Vallance & Chris Whitty have been sidelined since Sunday's announcement that they didn't agree with??) says that there is 'crude data' that Coronavirus doesn't affect children as much. 

Crude data eh?? 🤔

The teachers are going to be getting it stinking over the next few days. Marr & Ridge will be wall to wall bullshit from the likes of IDS about 'vulnerable' children and safety is their prime concern. 

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

1 hour ago, jake said:

I love a good hit on 9/11.

Just so satisfying knowing I'm right

😂

:biggrin2:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic