Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Unknown user
41 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

What a surprise!

https://euobserver.com/tickers/147981

The ventilator scheme which the government was blasted for not investing in has suffered major delays.

Well done UK government for not participating in this complete waste of time and money. 👏

In fact, here's the full quote from this week old article

"Taking into account the difficult situation of the markets and the complexity of products like ventilators, their production and delivery is expected to take time"

Nothing about delays, major or otherwise. 

This is why people don't like tories.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ehllhayapeh
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

If they catch the virus and people have been forced to work then they should take legal action. They should also inform their employers of this as wel

Passport...nobody is going to need them for a while.

Mine expires in 14 months. To avoid the whole "post it off to a processing centre and get it back in 6 weeks" service that is standard when youre overseas I intend to get mine in Glesca in person.  I need to do it by January at the latest since leaving the EU means the extra 6 months on the passport I got are not officially recognised now.

mrmarkus1981
19 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Im willing to try and find out.

I have Laphroaig Ardbeg Glenfiddich Talisker Caol Ila Port Charlotte and Balvenie in the house. 

If I get covid the limited edition port charlotte extra peated is coming with me to quarantine/hospital/ICU 

I think we may have similar tastes 😋

87819990_2589167111193639_1328977462519922688_o.jpg

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Passport Office staff are being pressurised to return to work.    Officials going off message from the stay at home instructions.    Telling staff they can't hide away forever.     

Passports.    :vrface:

Are they looking to use the workforce for another task...like universal credit applications?

14 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I expect an extension will happen since we all have bigger fish to fry.

Would be due to the economic damage.

Though EU is in serious trouble with arguments about a rescue plan. 

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

got a link to this, i would like to read more on it.

if this is the case then that might show that some of the death rate differences might be due to differing strains/variants 

Just to add some balance, genetic mutational differences are completely natural in a virus. Indeed, the fact that this is so is a major information source used by scientists in order to plot a tree of the virus' propagation through time and location.

Also, I read one scientist saying recently that although genetic mutations existed for coronavirus, in his opinion these were as yet insufficient to make each "strain" in effect a new virus, effectively saying that the payload and viral nature were not significantly different for the virus as a whole.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Are they looking to use the workforce for another task...like universal credit applications?

Nope.   

The EU rescue plan meeting only failed due to differences in wording.

It's mainly the Dutch and Italians causing bother, everybody else is together on it.

The principles of the rescue plan are all there and agreed.

The Old Tolbooth
38 minutes ago, Homme said:

Really? 

I've another one. All staff at St John's that were fitted for PPE and masks in the past two weeks have to be refitted because there is none available from the manufacturer. Talk about a waste of time. 

The point being everyone is trying their damnedness to source things and deliver stuff but in times of unprecedented demand things like this happen. 

Imagine being happy about delays in ventilator production. 

Exactly my thoughts too mate, and on another note, really chuffed about your good news for yourself and your wife mate :2thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

My favourite Whitley Neil gin on show there, fine taste sir 

mrmarkus1981
1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Exactly my thoughts too mate, and on another note, really chuffed about your good news for yourself and your wife mate :2thumbsup:

Not happy its amongst my whisky TBH but didn't want to leave a space :D

Ehllhayapeh
9 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

That is a beautiful looking array of good taste there!

17 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

What's the smokehead like?

1 minute ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

Not happy its amongst my whisky TBH but didn't want to leave a space :D

It's always good to have an exception that proves the rule. :)

scottishguy
24 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Mine expires in 14 months. To avoid the whole "post it off to a processing centre and get it back in 6 weeks" service that is standard when youre overseas I intend to get mine in Glesca in person.  I need to do it by January at the latest since leaving the EU means the extra 6 months on the passport I got are not officially recognised now.

Didn't they stop the drop in for your passport at Glagow a few years back?

Could be wrong though

Just now, scottishguy said:

Could be wrong though

I had to do it just over a year ago and it was still operating. 

40 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Why are you acting like a week old story that says big orders take time to fulfill is good news?

He's a Tory unionist, end of story. Every single thing he posts is political, no matter the seriousness of the situation. Sad doesn't cover it

Ehllhayapeh
16 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Could be wrong though

Based on checking a week or so back they still offer standard appointments and fast track.

I do recall a time where there was talk of Glasgow closing and scottish appointments being handled in Belfast.

But I guess that daft idea was seen for the folly that it is and they reverted back

mrmarkus1981
23 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

What's the smokehead like?

This is a 'cherry bomb' one, its full on peaty, like drinking dirt - but i love it :D

2 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

This is a 'cherry bomb' one, its full on peaty, like drinking dirt - but i love it :D

so its like sooking a bog

2 hours ago, Homme said:

For those that wished my Mrs well last week, she had her appointment at the breast clinic this morning and the ultrasound showed that whatever she does have is non cancerous. 

Huge relief for us both. Thanks to you all for your concern and good wishes. 

Chuffed to bits for yourself and your lady, Homme.

2 hours ago, scottishguy said:

We are lucky enough to have been on full pay for the last 3 weeks we have been shut. I think furlough may start next week for some. Staggered return by the looks of it. Will be interesting to see how they manage 2 meter separation at all times though.

My line of work is near impossible to do the social distancing well for the majority of us some can but that doesn’t help the production my work in the letter did state the furloughed scheme would only be in use for three months maximum but can’t see it being that long. There are places of work locally who haven’t stopped and are certainly not adhering to the rules whether the employees have no option but to work I don’t know. If we were to return to work and up until this point were fine and the lockdown was still in place which I believe it is at time of posting and took ill once back at work that would possibly open up another can of worms.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Researchers who mapped some of the original spread of coronavirus in humans have discovered there are variants of the virus throughout the world.

By analysing the first 160 complete virus genomes to be sequenced from human patients, scientists found the variant closest to that discovered in bats was largely found in patients from the US and Australia, not Wuhan.

Dr Peter Forster, geneticist and lead author from the University of Cambridge, said: “There are too many rapid mutations to neatly trace a Covid-19 family tree. We used a mathematical network algorithm to visualise all the plausible trees simultaneously."

Well, that's concerning.

A colleague returned to work last night and shared some pretty scary stuff as her and Husband, kids had Covid-19. A health husband was hit the hardest. Through 111 he was driven to the hospital by the Wife/colleague is a terrible state, temperature sky high, couldn't breath and he was hallucinating and believed he was going to die. 

Wife had to drop him off at the hospital and drive away. As we know, no one is able to visit or stay with partners. How tough must have that been... 

He pulled through and was only on the hospital for one night. Something my colleague disagreed with as he was still pretty bad for the next two days. 

Now here is the confusion part.. all the NHS staff said it was Covid-19. Everything, symptom pointed towards Covid-19... but his test came back negative? 

Doctor told him to ignore the test aa they still believe he had it...

I P Knightley
7 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Catching it before it spreads

image.jpeg.bbb21dd21a876990ab2a5f219a65bbdf.jpeg

Cases continue to decline in New Zealand

New Zealand is now into its 15th day in lockdown, and its number of virus cases appear to be steadily decreasing.

There were just 29 new cases confirmed today - the lowest in two weeks - following 50 on Wednesday, 54 on Tuesday and 67 on Monday.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern thanked fellow Kiwis for staying home, saying "you are breaking the chain of transmission and you did it for each other... you have saved lives".

She also announced stricter quarantine measures for all people arriving from overseas. They will now go straight to a managed facility rather than being allowed home.

We should make a bid for her. Give NZ the whole cabinet in part-exchange and bung in £350,000 a week. 

One of the things that's great about her is that I don't know what side of the political 'divide' she represents. She represents the people of New Zealand with humanity and humility. 

She's wonderful.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

What gets me is the sheer irresponsibility of some people during this crisis. I'm regularly getting emails in my inbox from people such as Collette entitled "Hi Handsome. Would you like to meet up this weekend?" Collette! No! We're in the middle of a pandemic and we're supposed to be social distancing! Breathtakingly stupid of Collette and others like her.

Save Collette's number for once the lockdown is over. She's a ride. 

COVID-19 isn't the only thing you should have her checked out for, though. Be sure to wrap up safely. 

43 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

'zat the Parma Violet one? 

Parma Violets are in my top 3 sweeties but I thought the idea of flavouring gin with them would be revolting. It's now a guilty pleasure. 

The Internet
5 minutes ago, jumpship said:

A colleague returned to work last night and shared some pretty scary stuff as her and Husband, kids had Covid-19. A health husband was hit the hardest. Through 111 he was driven to the hospital by the Wife/colleague is a terrible state, temperature sky high, couldn't breath and he was hallucinating and believed he was going to die. 

Wife had to drop him off at the hospital and drive away. As we know, no one is able to visit or stay with partners. How tough must have that been... 

He pulled through and was only on the hospital for one night. Something my colleague disagreed with as he was still pretty bad for the next two days. 

Now here is the confusion part.. all the NHS staff said it was Covid-19. Everything, symptom pointed towards Covid-19... but his test came back negative? 

The doctor told him to ignore the test? 

I P Knightley
4 minutes ago, jumpship said:

I was speaking to a health economist yesterday. Not a medic but moves in those circles. 

He was saying that testing will not be 100% reliable, or even near to it, for quite some time. You'll get false positives and false negatives but the stats geeks behind the scenes can work with that to hone the testing. Meanwhile, the virus itself may well mutate so that we're always playing catch-up. 

Cheery, cheery :D 

scottishguy
22 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Based on checking a week or so back they still offer standard appointments and fast track.

I do recall a time where there was talk of Glasgow closing and scottish appointments being handled in Belfast.

But I guess that daft idea was seen for the folly that it is and they reverted back

Must be what I was thinking of.

11 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Aye, the test only picks up one strain of covid-19 and according to my post earlier in the day, scientist are finding sub-strains of it all over as it mutates in the population.

3 hours ago, Homme said:

For those that wished my Mrs well last week, she had her appointment at the breast clinic this morning and the ultrasound showed that whatever she does have is non cancerous. 

❤️ Great news

The Old Tolbooth
33 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

We should make a bid for her. Give NZ the whole cabinet in part-exchange and bung in £350,000 a week. 

One of the things that's great about her is that I don't know what side of the political 'divide' she represents. She represents the people of New Zealand with humanity and humility. 

She's wonderful.

Save Collette's number for once the lockdown is over. She's a ride. 

COVID-19 isn't the only thing you should have her checked out for, though. Be sure to wrap up safely. 

'zat the Parma Violet one? 

Parma Violets are in my top 3 sweeties but I thought the idea of flavouring gin with them would be revolting. It's now a guilty pleasure. 

Rhubarb and ginger I think mate, the parma bottle is a lighter shade of purple 

18 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye, the test only picks up one strain of covid-19 and according to my post earlier in the day, scientist are finding sub-strains of it all over as it mutates in the population.

Please provide evidence of this assertion, Cade.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

I did that a couple years back.......make sure your pre arranged photograph is spot on.  There  I was shirt on, shaved and all booted and suited for my picture at Tesco, thought all was in order so off I went to Glesga at 3 am, unshaven, t shirt on and a bit weary looking. Alas all was not in order with my picture, my head was slightly out of line so I was asked to provide another picture via the photo booth at the passport centre.  I now look like a burglar on my new passport photo 🤣🤬

27 minutes ago, Cade said:

How has this just come to light now?

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I don't think it's a surprise (see my earlier post - scientisty types know that there's this mutation stuff that goes on with viruses).

It's maybe come to the fore as discussion of other matters have gone as far as they can.

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, jumpship said:

i heard about someone who had all the symptoms etc, tested negative, next day tested negative again, third day tested positive, but his condition hadn't changed in the 3 days he was on that ward, so he has to have been positive on day one.

A lot has been said about test test test, but the test itself is only around 70% accurate, that means 30% or 3 in 10 people could return a negative result when in fact they are positive and could therefore inadvertently have been spreading the virus all over the place.

45 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That's what she said.. ignore the results of the test.. they were convinced he had it. 

Was there not previous info about the swab test sample stick needing to be used quite specifically?    Could be that some swab tests are coming back false negative due to not being done properly?

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

i heard about someone who had all the symptoms etc, tested negative, next day tested negative again, third day tested positive, but his condition hadn't changed in the 3 days he was on that ward, so he has to have been positive on day one.

A lot has been said about test test test, but the test itself is only around 70% accurate, that means 30% or 3 in 10 people could return a negative result when in fact they are positive and could therefore inadvertently have been spreading the virus all over the place.

Please provide a link to evidence that this is the case. It is known that the test is not 100% accurate, particularly if levels of the virus levels in the body are low or the patient is at the start of the infection. However, there is no way that the test's accuracy is as low as 70%. It is most probably in the high 90% range.

The much-touted antibody tests however, those are a different kettle of fish.

What is wrong with some posters on here today?

Stop making crap up or posting any shite theory you see on Twitter/Facebook!

If you're going to make claims, then please spend a moment to research them, and then, pretty please with sugar on, include a link to evidence that your claim is correct.

*Here ends the public service announcement*

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Please provide a link to evidence that this is the case. It is known that the test is not 100% accurate, particularly if levels of the virus levels in the body are low or the patient is at the start of the infection. However, there is no way that the test's accuracy is as low as 70%. It is most probably in the high 90% range.

The much-touted antibody tests however, those are a different kettle of fish.

'Professor Woodcock and Dr Gill both estimate that the rate of false negatives could be around 30 per cent.'

But as Professor Woodcock points out, if the current tests can only detect the presence of the virus 70 per cent of the time, “we have a lot of patients waiting for a repeat virus testing/diagnosis”.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-how-reliable-are-the-uks-coronavirus-tests

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

"especially poor technique in sampling or conducting the test”.

You missed out the first part, the part that say's it could be that there is low levels of the virus................

Professor Woodcock suggests that these could be caused by “low levels of the virus in the early stages of the disease”

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You missed out the first part, the part that say's it could be that there is low levels of the virus................

Professor Woodcock suggests that these could be caused by “low levels of the virus in the early stages of the disease”

I know I missed out the rest.   I quoted the bit pertaining to my previous post.

4 hours ago, Homme said:

That's brilliant news and just confirms what we all knew before. You're wife has a flawless pair! :greatpost:

1 hour ago, jumpship said:

That's incredible surely it would of made sense to test him a second time?. 

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

'Professor Woodcock and Dr Gill both estimate that the rate of false negatives could be around 30 per cent.'

But as Professor Woodcock points out, if the current tests can only detect the presence of the virus 70 per cent of the time, “we have a lot of patients waiting for a repeat virus testing/diagnosis”.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-how-reliable-are-the-uks-coronavirus-tests

Thanks J-J, I appreciate that.

Unfortunately, neither of the two folk quoted in the article provided a link to any research backing up their statement, at least in the article.

Here is an actual study showing the false negative rate for the PCR test at 3%. Now that is 3% too high in my opinion, but hopefully, during the period since the study was carried out, there has been a refinement in both the sample-taking procedure and the actual analysis that has reduced this figure even further.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=228250

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That's incredible surely it would of made sense to test him a second time?. 

Not if it wouldn't have made any difference to the treatment plan. They may have decided that it was best for the patient in question to self-isolate at home after examining his condition over the first night's stay in hospital and combining those observations with an analysis of this health background. In effect, hospital treatment should only be necessary if it is actually required. Better to have the bed released for someone who might be in much more need of it.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Researchers who mapped some of the original spread of coronavirus in humans have discovered there are variants of the virus throughout the world.

By analysing the first 160 complete virus genomes to be sequenced from human patients, scientists found the variant closest to that discovered in bats was largely found in patients from the US and Australia, not Wuhan.

Dr Peter Forster, geneticist and lead author from the University of Cambridge, said: “There are too many rapid mutations to neatly trace a Covid-19 family tree. We used a mathematical network algorithm to visualise all the plausible trees simultaneously."

Well, that's concerning.

This is a good website that tracks the variants and where they seem to come from transmission wise

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Does it really surprise you mate, imagine being rushed to hospital in for a night with suspected coronavirus symptoms, in a bad way.

Then discharged a day later, eh that must be one of the miraculous recoveries I've ever heard. 

Not having a go at the NHS but if that is true, it's seriously irresponsible of them to even think doing that. 

With the potential of him coming back home infecting his wife and kids if he has any, I don't know. 

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not if it wouldn't have made any difference to the treatment plan. They may have decided that it was best for the patient in question to self-isolate at home after examining his condition over the first night's stay in hospital and combining those observations with an analysis of this health background. In effect, hospital treatment should only be necessary if it is actually required. Better to have the bed released for someone who might be in much more need of it.

To an extent I agree but with this test coming back negative, who's to say it wasn't something else that was serious. 

You can't just assume someone has it. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic