Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, samgolden said:

The breath you exhale is particles  going back down your throat with masks  what long term effect will that have on your lungs 

THis is very true. I hated wearing them for that reason too. I have sinus issues and this would impact on my breathing when wearing a mask.  Had a cold lately and it just felt i had a mask on my pus at times. Not pleasant,

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo

What a difference less than a week has seen, I can only speak about my location, however I've seen things turn around near enough full circle, from almost everybody wearing masks in our local shops (Monday & Tuesday) to the vast majority not wearing masks (Yesterday & Today).

This is good as it shows how quickly the majority of society (around here) have gotten their confidence back, of course I also think it not being a legal requirement has also had a lot to do with it, simply put, you don't need to wear a mask, so people aren't anymore.

Jambo-Jimbo

Rightly or wrongly I was in favour of the first lockdown, I just want to make that clear.

Now we all know about the effect lockdowns have had on people's health, mental & physical, cancelled op's & treatments etc etc, however it now seems that the lockdowns/restrictions are possibly playing a part in the alarming rise of Hepatitis cases in children.  There has been 108 cases so far since January with 8 of them needing liver transplants.

Dr Tassos Grammatikopoulos, consultant in paediatric hepatology at the hospital said investigations were still ongoing to find out what was driving the surge but said one possible explanation could be the lack of social mixing among children during lockdown.

He told Sky News: "There are certain theories. We have so far identified, in a significant proportion of these cases, about 77%, related to an adenovirus infection. But they can be caused by a number of other, different infections."

"The most recent lockdowns and the pandemic has probably played a part in this because children have not been exposed to common pathogens, to common infections like they would have if they had been out and about in the community."

https://news.sky.com/story/hepatitis-the-girl-who-had-just-hours-to-live-as-rare-cases-rise-in-children-12596130

It's not just the UK which is seeing a rise in hepatitis cases in children, the USA & Mainland Europe are also seeing a rise in cases as well.

It seems that whilst we had to bring in the lockdowns, there will be a heavy price to pay for doing so, looks to me a case of, damned if we did, damned if we didn't.

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Weren't you the poster who went tonto when I mentioned I'd taken my bairns for a wee walk in Fife during the ridiculous 'stay in your own council area' restrictions? Apologies if I've got you mixed up with someone else. 

Anyways, I can't vouch for those out counting mask wearers, but this is a place where folk can share their observations on various issues and events, so not quite sure what you and @XB52 are so worried about? Much like folk are free to wear masks, others are free to observe that some of the keechie breek brigade are still wrapping up their faces when there's no need.

Hide contents

Although, perhaps they're only wearing the masks because the stench from their soiled pantaloons is too much? Which, in turn, means they still have their sense of smell and no long covid, thereby proving the effectiveness of masks. I think I've just checkmated myself...

Was me, yes. Keyboards and necking Knockdhu 18 was asking for trouble that evening, didn't get a chance to apologise, lead to an instant ban on that thread.

What you did in Fife was non of my business. What my concern was the stretched collective emergency services, breakdown, police, ambulance, fire, & hospitals that you may have called upon when you were telt (by law) to stay local.

You're posting style at the time was trolling for bites, I bit, hook, line, sinker...the lot. Never been banned again, learnt my lesson the hard way. I've put it down to a situation of circumstance. Bridges have been built between us Jones, have they not?...especially on the A9...and the Pennywise Gif...:brows:

Counting mask wearers, posting it on here and believing folk will be interested...is sad, imo.

So worried? Got any more guid yins, Jones?...🤜🤛

40 minutes ago, jonesy said:

*Really? Christ, that's a but much. Always happy to have an open and frank exchange of views on any topic, Covid included. Still, you're in good company - I've been banned from the same thread for questioning the motives of a certain well-known troll 😄

**My driving isn't that bad 😜 

And yes, bridges definitely built I hope, too. ❤️

Re the mask wearers - it is interesting for some folk. @Jambo-Jimbo's observation re the rapid decline in mask wearing throughout the last week shows that many folk, despite deep down understanding the limitations and futility of the masks, were simply waiting to be told it was okay, rather than willing to openly declare the law to be an ass.

I'm not sure what folk clicking into a thread about face masks are expecting now that the government have relinquished control of our faces, TBF - early Halloween recommendations?

**I'll take your word for it, but you can't control the doughnuts in front, side & rear...

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

What a difference less than a week has seen, I can only speak about my location, however I've seen things turn around near enough full circle, from almost everybody wearing masks in our local shops (Monday & Tuesday) to the vast majority not wearing masks (Yesterday & Today).

This is good as it shows how quickly the majority of society (around here) have gotten their confidence back, of course I also think it not being a legal requirement has also had a lot to do with it, simply put, you don't need to wear a mask, so people aren't anymore.

Yes non mask wearing is def on the decline in every area I feel . As you said confidence back for most . They have realised they won’t drop down dead right away without wearing one ☝️ 

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Weren't you the poster who went tonto when I mentioned I'd taken my bairns for a wee walk in Fife during the ridiculous 'stay in your own council area' restrictions? Apologies if I've got you mixed up with someone else. 

Anyways, I can't vouch for those out counting mask wearers, but this is a place where folk can share their observations on various issues and events, so not quite sure what you and @XB52 are so worried about? Much like folk are free to wear masks, others are free to observe that some of the keechie breek brigade are still wrapping up their faces when there's no need.

Hide contents

Although, perhaps they're only wearing the masks because the stench from their soiled pantaloons is too much? Which, in turn, means they still have their sense of smell and no long covid, thereby proving the effectiveness of masks. I think I've just checkmated myself...

Oh I recall that posting and the hysteria and moral outrage from the usual suspects ! Hilarious in respect . Imagine wanting to take your family out for sone fresh air . Shocking. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

*Really? Christ, that's a but much. Always happy to have an open and frank exchange of views on any topic, Covid included. Still, you're in good company - I've been banned from the same thread for questioning the motives of a certain well-known troll 😄

**My driving isn't that bad 😜 

And yes, bridges definitely built I hope, too. ❤️

Re the mask wearers - it is interesting for some folk. @Jambo-Jimbo's observation re the rapid decline in mask wearing throughout the last week shows that many folk, despite deep down understanding the limitations and futility of the masks, were simply waiting to be told it was okay, rather than willing to openly declare the law to be an ass.

I'm not sure what folk clicking into a thread about face masks are expecting now that the government have relinquished control of our faces, TBF - early Halloween recommendations?

It’s projecting their anxiety about what may happen if we all don’t wear masks . . Or maybe they can’t make their own personal risk assessments and want the state to make it for them ,

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes non mask wearing is def on the decline in every area I feel . As you said confidence back for most . They have realised they won’t drop down dead right away without wearing one ☝️ 

Oh I recall that posting and the hysteria and moral outrage from the usual suspects ! Hilarious in respect . Imagine wanting to take your family out for sone fresh air . Shocking. 

It’s projecting their anxiety about what may happen if we all don’t wear masks . . Or maybe they can’t make their own personal risk assessments and want the state to make it for them ,

Still swinging from posters Bell-Ends Bleachboy, keep it up...right up.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Still swinging from posters Bell-Ends Bleachboy, keep it up...right up.

Oh I’ll keep it up , right up . Love it in fact ! 

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Can't even get the basics of his points right. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Can't even get the basics of his points right. 

Some people may have writing  communication issues or dyslexia.  What a vile comment. 

The Dragon Reborn
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Some people may have writing  communication issues or dyslexia.  What a vile comment. 

image.thumb.jpeg.83a20acc7faa6668c0709c5565789dee.jpeg

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes they may, you don't and hiding behind a real issue like you are attempting to do is lower than a snake's belly. I'm not in the least surprised.

Tommy Brown
21 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

That ain't your problem James

Don't even try to claim it

Tommy Brown

At the end of the day, I get irritated by some comments on here.

I have mentioned health issues.

To be blunt, Ive come through chemo and radiotherapy to full cancer surgery.

I want to feel safe, I will continue to wear a mask at public places/work and continue to exile myself from football matches.

I will miss my first final since birth in 62.

I see it as I go about, sanitizers ignored, nothing learned.

Nucky Thompson

People who are continuing to wear masks are not doing it for other people's benefit, they are doing it because they think it protects themselves.

Have all those Asian folk who have been wearing masks for years been doing it to protect others?

Tommy Brown
18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

According to my missus, it’s because it keeps yer dish warm.

I did say that on the golf course during the winter

51 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

People who are continuing to wear masks are not doing it for other people's benefit, they are doing it because they think it protects themselves.

Have all those Asian folk who have been wearing masks for years been doing it to protect others?

You had a wee blether with every mask wearer to gain this knowledge?...Thought not!

Space Mackerel
4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Nucky confusing working with MDF and an airborne virus. 

Nice. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Scotland to end covid self-isolation rules from Sunday, instead it will be a 'stay at home' message if feeling unwell, also people will no longer be advised to take a PCR test and all contact tracing will also stop from Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61261297

Especially good news,  if viewed that it is science led.  It's a fairly significant step back towards normality.  I dare say there will be alerts to this or that in the future and maybe the possibility of certain things being reintroduced.  But if 'the science' has endorsed this kind of relaxation then that's a very good indication of projected confidence.

Jambo-Jimbo
31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Especially good news,  if viewed that it is science led.  It's a fairly significant step back towards normality.  I dare say there will be alerts to this or that in the future and maybe the possibility of certain things being reintroduced.  But if 'the science' has endorsed this kind of relaxation then that's a very good indication of projected confidence.

Sure I seen something on the Scottish News the other night, that hospital admissions for covid had nearly halfed in the space of a week or something like that.

Which is great news, however as you quite rightly say, we are going to get waves and increase in cases every now and then, it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid, that's the way these things go.

And how about this?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-denmark-suspends-covid-vaccination-programme-with-health-chiefs-saying-virus-under-control-12600593

It's quite a step to formally cease vaccinating.  Maybe an indication that people are moving away from topping up and counting antibodies and starting to trust cellular immunity?

Jambo-Jimbo
On 21/04/2022 at 22:04, Victorian said:

Very few people capable of listening to and remembering stuff ever believed that mask wearers were wearing them out of concern of being infected.  That's just a bogus jibe invented by the nasty minded.

I've been surprised at how many people still wear them.  You would need to have lived underground for the last two years to have missed the information that face coverings have next to no benefit for the wearer.  The only other conclusion is that wearers are doing it in order to continue being considerate to others.

Counting masks.  Ffs.  Re-enter your lives you freaks.

The Border Telegraph carried out a survey during the first week of the legal requirement being removed, the results of which might answer the about query.

I don't know how they carried out the survey, it could simply have been someone standing at the door and counting people, anyway, the Border Telegraph's survey found that from around 90% of shoppers wearing face masks/coverings when it was a legal requirement, that figure fell to around 25% of shoppers still wearing face masks/coverings in the week after the legal requirement being removed.  Meaning some 65% of shoppers ditched wearing face masks/coverings.  The conclusion of this surely means that the majority of shoppers only wore masks because it was the law and pretty much only because it was the law.

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/20090773.majority-shoppers-galashiels-not-wearing-masks-new-study-finds/

I was shopping in Gala yesterday and I'd say it was way less than 25% of other shoppers still wearing masks in the shops, there was the odd one or two here and there, but they were only a few.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Scotland to end covid self-isolation rules from Sunday, instead it will be a 'stay at home' message if feeling unwell, also people will no longer be advised to take a PCR test and all contact tracing will also stop from Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61261297

Anyone with half a brain should have been doing this anyway. Nonsense mass isolation of healthy people has been crippling for businesses. 

Nookie Bear
On 22/04/2022 at 17:59, JamesM48 said:

A case if you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours ! Prid quo pro . Aye but the Toaries 

i know Devi and i'll be hammering her for that Piers Morgan quote :lol:

JudyJudyJudy

I was at the hospital on Monday for yearly check up . I was speaking to my consultant and she was saying things are almost back to normal with the NHS. I did notice in the waiting room it was  " standing room only".  

I asked her about masks in hospital and she said she assumed they still have to wear them but there has been no diktat that they have to still wear them. 

She also reminded me that because Im immune suppressed ( meds and disease) then I and any others are entitled to certain drugs if I get covid again which are almost emergency drugs you can get within the first few days or having the virus again. I didn't know that. 

It was good to see the waiting room busy and actually seeing the consultant face to face after 3 years.  

Nookie Bear
On 21/04/2022 at 12:02, William H. Bonney said:

Im fairly sure I got it at hampden too. Was worth it I guess, even though I feel rotten. 

Think i picked it up at Hampden as well. Jambo ********!

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

And how about this?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-denmark-suspends-covid-vaccination-programme-with-health-chiefs-saying-virus-under-control-12600593

It's quite a step to formally cease vaccinating.  Maybe an indication that people are moving away from topping up and counting antibodies and starting to trust cellular immunity?

Reading the article, it looks pretty much like what most people had thought might happen, that once the majority of society having been vaccinated, then it would only be those more vulnernable who may need a booster, be that annually or bi-annually, the simple rule of thumb being those who have certain medical conditions being the ones who are maybe advised to get boosters, with no need for the rest of the population.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Border Telegraph carried out a survey during the first week of the legal requirement being removed, the results of which might answer the about query.

I don't know how they carried out the survey, it could simply have been someone standing at the door and counting people, anyway, the Border Telegraph's survey found that from around 90% of shoppers wearing face masks/coverings when it was a legal requirement, that figure fell to around 25% of shoppers still wearing face masks/coverings in the week after the legal requirement being removed.  Meaning some 65% of shoppers ditched wearing face masks/coverings.  The conclusion of this surely means that the majority of shoppers only wore masks because it was the law and pretty much only because it was the law.

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/20090773.majority-shoppers-galashiels-not-wearing-masks-new-study-finds/

I was shopping in Gala yesterday and I'd say it was way less than 25% of other shoppers still wearing masks in the shops, there was the odd one or two here and there, but they were only a few.

That probably indicates the motives of the people who stopped wearing them when the mandate was removed.  It doesn't explain the motives of the ones who still wear them.  

I dare say some people still wear a face covering in the belief that it provides them with some benefit.  But I still maintain that quite a few people who still wear them must be doing so for a different reason,  since it appears to have been widespread knowledge that there is no practical personal benefit.

I've had quite a few people come in and ask if a face covering is required.  Some have come in and then moved to put one on.  I quickly say that there's no need to.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Anyone with half a brain should have been doing this anyway. Nonsense mass isolation of healthy people has been crippling for businesses. 

Indeed.

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes face mask wearing has plummeted . 

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I actually feel pity for younger people who still go about with those things strapped over their noses and mouths. 

I can understand old people still wearing them

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I was at the hospital on Monday for yearly check up . I was speaking to my consultant and she was saying things are almost back to normal with the NHS. I did notice in the waiting room it was  " standing room only".  

I asked her about masks in hospital and she said she assumed they still have to wear them but there has been no diktat that they have to still wear them. 

She also reminded me that because Im immune suppressed ( meds and disease) then I and any others are entitled to certain drugs if I get covid again which are almost emergency drugs you can get within the first few days or having the virus again. I didn't know that. 

It was good to see the waiting room busy and actually seeing the consultant face to face after 3 years.  

Still having to wear almost full PPE on Mrs JJ's ward, she said none of them fancy spending another summer wraped up in plastic sweating their butts off and suffering from the skin conditions most of them have now.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Reading the article, it looks pretty much like what most people had thought might happen, that once the majority of society having been vaccinated, then it would only be those more vulnernable who may need a booster, be that annually or bi-annually, the simple rule of thumb being those who have certain medical conditions being the ones who are maybe advised to get boosters, with no need for the rest of the population.

There needs to be definitive study into the performance and persistence of cellular immunity.  It's much harder to do than to count antibodies.  It could very well be that regular boosters wont be needed,  even for some of the target groups.  Although certainly for some.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I actually feel pity for younger people who still go about with those things strapped over their noses and mouths. 

Im still amazed when I see anyone wearing one outside??????? See this freak occurrence now and then.  I can understand on buses but like i said the mask use has really plummeted in most places indoors. I suppose people have also had to get used to not leaving their house with one as well.   Ive been   having   a massage lately due to shoulder pain and I had to wear a mask for it , It felt really uncomfortable. I haven't been back since the mask mandate was dropped so not sure if the clinic is continue this, if they are I wont be back as it is really uncomfortable as your meant to be relaxed when getting a massage and not feel like you cant breathe

Unknown user
On 24/04/2022 at 18:21, Nucky Thompson said:

What an absolute crock, you can't just say everyone's motive is X and act like it's a good point, well made.

There are plenty out there who make unselfish decisions, the fact that you can't even imagine they exist says more about your levels of cynicism and bitterness than anything else.

Honestly, ****ing hell!

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Still having to wear almost full PPE on Mrs JJ's ward, she said none of them fancy spending another summer wraped up in plastic sweating their butts off and suffering from the skin conditions most of them have now.

Yes i can imagine it would be a nightmare in the summer. Hopefully its lifted soon.  And there has been an upsurge on skin conditions due to mask wearing and spraying our hands every day with alcohol  as well. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

as an aside i waited over an hour to see my consultant and she apologised. I gave her a compliment as its clear she takes her time with patients hence running late. She does.  

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That probably indicates the motives of the people who stopped wearing them when the mandate was removed.  It doesn't explain the motives of the ones who still wear them.  

I dare say some people still wear a face covering in the belief that it provides them with some benefit.  But I still maintain that quite a few people who still wear them must be doing so for a different reason,  since it appears to have been widespread knowledge that there is no practical personal benefit.

I've had quite a few people come in and ask if a face covering is required.  Some have come in and then moved to put one on.  I quickly say that there's no need to.

Yes, people will still be wearing them for different reasons, some because they think they are protecting others, some because they think a mask will protect them & some erring on the side of caution until they feel more comfortable & confident that there isn't the same need anymore.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Im still amazed when I see anyone wearing one outside??????? See this freak occurrence now and then.  I can understand on buses but like i said the mask use has really plummeted in most places indoors. I suppose people have also had to get used to not leaving their house with one as well.   Ive been   having   a massage lately due to shoulder pain and I had to wear a mask for it , It felt really uncomfortable. I haven't been back since the mask mandate was dropped so not sure if the clinic is continue this, if they are I wont be back as it is really uncomfortable as your meant to be relaxed when getting a massage and not feel like you cant breathe

You should've told the masseur that you were exempt. 

If he's selling a service to the public, he couldn't have refused you

The Dragon Reborn
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Hopefully this will fade over time.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

You should've told the masseur that you were exempt. 

If he's selling a service to the public, he couldn't have refused you

True. Ill check the script the next time when I book an appointment. Its not the best practice for a massage patient to be muzzled really. Health wise more than anything. 

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What an absolute crock, you can't just say everyone's motive is X and act like it's a good point, well made.

There are plenty out there who make unselfish decisions, the fact that you can't even imagine they exist says more about your levels of cynicism and bitterness than anything else.

Honestly, ****ing hell!

Unselfish decisions :rofl:

Wearing masks 9 fecking months longer than England to protect auld Jessie in Tesco :cornette:

Going by the survey that JJ quoted from, most people wore them because it was the law.

What percentage of people do you think are still wearing masks, are doing it to protect the 75% of people not wearing them?

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Going by the survey that JJ quoted from, most people wore them because it was the law.

This is patently obvious. 

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Unselfish decisions :rofl:

Wearing masks 9 fecking months longer than England to protect auld Jessie in Tesco :cornette:

What percentage of people do you think are still wearing masks, are doing it to protect the 75% of people not wearing them?

Aye nice moving the goalposts nuck, you just can't accept that there are people out there who wear masks because they think it'll be for the greater good can you?

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'd imagine the masks might also interfere with certain aspects of the massage process. All the massage documentaries I watch on PornHub seem to be mask-free.

image-23-10-21-07-03-1.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Cruelty to animals 

It certainly is . Anyone should mistreats animals needs locked up . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )