Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

14 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Because neither of you were likely remotely aware of other people using them before you got all triggered by mass adoption during the pandemic.  

The back lawn is due a trim at the weekend, do feel free to come round and tut-tut to display your moral outrage as I wear a mask when I cut the grass.   :thumbsup:

Not triggered. In the unlikely event they were wearing face masks due to asthma then I hope it brings some relief

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Because neither of you were likely remotely aware of other people using them before you got all triggered by mass adoption during the pandemic.  

The back lawn is due a trim at the weekend, do feel free to come round and tut-tut to display your moral outrage as I wear a mask when I cut the grass.   :thumbsup:

No im Sure I would have noticed people wearing face masks pre covid . In fact I did 

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good luck to them. As an asthmatic myself, I hope it helps.

He’s completely made a hypothesis about their mask wearing . Bizarre 

Radio Ga Ga

Was in the supermarket at lunchtime when around 20-25 high schools kids piled into the shop to buy their lunch, not one of them were wearing a mask. 

A good few other shoppers mask less too, I guess more and more folk are starting to not give a feck. 

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, jonesy said:

I disagree, James. I don't think it's a teacher's place to tell kids what (not) to wear.

Whether it had come as a direction from their parents or if they genuinely felt the need for face masks while out in the countryside, it really doesn't bode well for these folk as we come out the other side of CV19 that they feel such restrictions are necessary and/or desirable.

I live in the country and I'm amazed at the number of people wearing face masks in near enough empty residential streets or even down by the riverside (River Tweed).

Jambo-Jimbo
15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Maybe every single one of them is plagued by chronic asthma….

Then the countryside is the best place for them, all that fresh clean country air, although I don't think they will be getting the full benefit of that fresh clean air, as they are filtering it through a mask.  Never mind, each to their own. 

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Maybe every single one of them is plagued by chronic asthma….

or just maybe rather than poke fun at them accept they might have made their own judgement to wear a mask as the best thing for them. Just as you do when you dont wear one

The Real Maroonblood
26 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

or just maybe rather than poke fun at them accept they might have made their own judgement to wear a mask as the best thing for them. Just as you do when you dont wear one

Fair comment. 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Was in the supermarket at lunchtime when around 20-25 high schools kids piled into the shop to buy their lunch, not one of them were wearing a mask. 

A good few other shoppers mask less too, I guess more and more folk are starting to not give a feck. 

And if true numbers will only start to go up again and nhs will be overwhelmed… partly due to lazy selfish people not wearing masks 

8 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

And if true numbers will only start to go up again and nhs will be overwhelmed… partly due to lazy selfish people not wearing masks 

Better start pishing on people again eh? 

Edited by GBJambo

Shanks said no

Well after working right through the pandemic in the office and not at home I have tested positive at weekend.

Am now following @Ulyssesexpert advice and popping paracetamols. I haven't had a day off sick in 25+ years and am not liking this isolation shenanigans one little bit. Need to get 2 clear tests by Saturday. Feel rough but that's nothing new, still have my appetite and was going to ask the Mrs if she fancied a drink last night.

And now my nurse daughter has just called, she too has tested positive. Again, the whole way through this she has working on wards with covid patients and manages to catch it before 2 derbies! You couldn't make this up. 

Seymour M Hersh

th-2.jpeg

Echinacea is your natural friend for colds, influenza and respiratory ailments. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

53 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

th-2.jpeg

Echinacea is your natural friend for colds, influenza and respiratory ailments. 

Echinacea fails to curb the common cold (again)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/20/Echinacea.common.cold/index.html

"People who swear by the cold-fighting properties of echinacea may want to skip the herbal remedy -- and save a few bucks -- the next time they feel the sniffles coming on.

In a new study of more than 700 people who came down with colds, echinacea pills were not measurably better than placebo at speeding recovery time or reducing the severity of runny nose, sore throat, cough, and other symptoms.

Echinacea has flunked similar tests before. Over the past eight years, several high-quality studies in which cold sufferers were randomly assigned to receive echinacea or placebo have arrived at the same conclusion: The herb has no discernible impact on colds."

Footballfirst
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anyone know of any chemists or other shops that sell LFTs over the counter?

You can still get them for free from designated Covid test centres. I picked up a pack from the test centre in the car park at Napier on Glenlockhart Road earlier this week.

Just now, Footballfirst said:

You can still get them for free from designated Covid test centres. I picked up a pack from the test centre in the car park at Napier on Glenlockhart Road earlier this week.

Saw that,  thanks.  It's a bit far out of my way.  I was wondering which pharmacy chains are selling them.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Saw that,  thanks.  It's a bit far out of my way.  I was wondering which pharmacy chains are selling them.

I’m sure you can still order them online.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m sure you can still order them online.

You can,  thanks.  It was really to ask about pharmacies that sell them though.  To get some straight away.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You can,  thanks.  It was really to ask about pharmacies that sell them though.  To get some straight away.

👍

Seymour M Hersh
55 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Echinacea fails to curb the common cold (again)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/20/Echinacea.common.cold/index.html

"People who swear by the cold-fighting properties of echinacea may want to skip the herbal remedy -- and save a few bucks -- the next time they feel the sniffles coming on.

In a new study of more than 700 people who came down with colds, echinacea pills were not measurably better than placebo at speeding recovery time or reducing the severity of runny nose, sore throat, cough, and other symptoms.

Echinacea has flunked similar tests before. Over the past eight years, several high-quality studies in which cold sufferers were randomly assigned to receive echinacea or placebo have arrived at the same conclusion: The herb has no discernible impact on colds."

Haters gonna hate! :fonzie:

JudyJudyJudy
34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Itll probably be the next thing sold on street corners like weed :)

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Tbf if you order them they are usually there the next day. I mean 2320 might be pushing it but… ns wilsons up here will give you if they have. Not sure if you have them down there though 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 05/04/2022 at 20:17, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Got the virus, I have to say I’m absolutely boiling. My core temp must be bordering on dangerous. I’m taking paracetamol & ibuprofen every few hours and drinking loads of water. I just posted as I had the virus in 2020 quite bad and this feels the same but with no cough. Praying I test negative before Saturdays game. ☹️

On 05/04/2022 at 21:05, HamishMcGonagall said:

I'm in the same boat although this is the first time I've had it. Was up all Monday night shivering but sweating profusely and last night I was just constantly coughing up phlegm every few minutes (sorry if that was too much information...). Worried I might have picked up Bronchitis as apparently covid can also cause this and being asthmatic I am quite prone to these kind of things.

It better all pass in time for Saturday's game!

Have tried to avoid this thread, but I care too much, do any of you two have a pulse oximeter. 

Really handy thing to have hope yous get better soon, there is a way we can live with this virus, and that's not by burying our heads in the sand, all the good work after two years, what have we learned? I have no problem with people wanting to go to football, but to end free testing and masking during a time that cases are increasing sorry that doesn't make sense to me. 

I have no problem with people wanting to enjoy life, but you're playing a dangerous game asking the public to make a choice between stay at home with the virus and not get paid, or turn up and infect workplaces, am I the only one that sees that as counter productive. 

It should be mandatory to test going into places like care homes, hospital's, etc these places are the most vulnerable places were old and vulnerable people are. 

Look at how many hospital's are on critical, by not testing we are going to deny people, from having other important treatment they need. 

I can't believe how angry this makes me when to think sturgeon and bojo declined not one but two cobra meeting telling them this could be serious and what happens to this day? We still aren't in a better situation? School teacher's at risk etc this is bonkers. 

This is not living with Covid it just ain't. 

Rant over. 

Nucky Thompson
9 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Have tried to avoid this thread, but I care too much, do any of you two have a pulse oximeter. 

Really handy thing to have hope yous get better soon, there is a way we can live with this virus, and that's not by burying our heads in the sand, all the good work after two years, what have we learned? I have no problem with people wanting to go to football, but to end free testing and masking during a time that cases are increasing sorry that doesn't make sense to me. 

I have no problem with people wanting to enjoy life, but you're playing a dangerous game asking the public to make a choice between stay at home with the virus and not get paid, or turn up and infect workplaces, am I the only one that sees that as counter productive. 

It should be mandatory to test going into places like care homes, hospital's, etc these places are the most vulnerable places were old and vulnerable people are. 

Look at how many hospital's are on critical, by not testing we are going to deny people, from having other important treatment they need. 

I can't believe how angry this makes me when to think sturgeon and bojo declined not one but two cobra meeting telling them this could be serious and what happens to this day? We still aren't in a better situation? School teacher's at risk etc this is bonkers. 

This is not living with Covid it just ain't. 

Rant over. 

Jeezo :vrface:

Living with it means exactly that. Live with it like we live with Flu and the common cold.

It's over for the vast majority of people

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Jeezo :vrface:

Living with it means exactly that. Live with it like we live with Flu and the common cold.

It's over for the vast majority of people

Nah,  he's got some reasonable points and has posted similarly before.  

There's a difference between living with it and pretending it isn't there.  A very important difference.

Can it be lived with?  Yes.  It has to be lived with because it isn't likely to disappear soon.  Can it be simply ignored and treated like other things?  Not really.  It's properties dictate that it can become a significant problem in various ways.  Attempting to live with it + being complacent about it is likely to be counter-productive.  Avoidable self harm for the sake of the idea that it isn't there.

Living with it can be achieved but I see no point in conditioning people to the notion that it's in the past.  It will make it many times more difficult to reintroduce measures if they are ever required.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nah,  he's got some reasonable points and has posted similarly before.  

There's a difference between living with it and pretending it isn't there.  A very important difference.

Can it be lived with?  Yes.  It has to be lived with because it isn't likely to disappear soon.  Can it be simply ignored and treated like other things?  Not really.  It's properties dictate that it can become a significant problem in various ways.  Attempting to live with it + being complacent about it is likely to be counter-productive.  Avoidable self harm for the sake of the idea that it isn't there.

Living with it can be achieved but I see no point in conditioning people to the notion that it's in the past.  It will make it many times more difficult to reintroduce measures if they are ever required.

I don't think people are pretending it isn't there.

I think most folk are getting on with things now without worrying about catching it.

A lot of people are more hygienic, like washing and sanitising their hands and staying at home if they have a cold.

That's all that's needed now IMO.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I think most folk are getting on with things now without worrying about catching it.

A lot of people are more hygienic, like washing and sanitising their hands and staying at home if they have a cold.

Those are all good things.  But even staying home when you have a cold is a departure from treating it like the common cold.  That's an example of living with CV and the cold in a different way.  But it's fanciful to expect that will be a universal mindset.

I agree that there's little point in continuing to restrict yourself or to worry about catching it.  Over time it's not very likely that you can.  Some estimates say you're likely to get it about 6 times or so.  Even that might be low because the average instance of cold is 2 or 3 times a year.

Living with it = allowing the NHS to live with it + tackle the waiting lists of 6 million people.  The conditioning of people that CV is over can be seen in the diminishing uptake of vaccine at each stage.  Booster is well down on primary shots.  2nd booster will be similar.  Living with it must include high uptake of vaccine until they're not needed.  That helps the NHS,  which benefits everyone.

Jambo-Jimbo
16 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

And now my nurse daughter has just called, she too has tested positive. Again, the whole way through this she has working on wards with covid patients and manages to catch it before 2 derbies! You couldn't make this up. 

One of my neighbours' daughter is a paramedic and he was telling me that quite a few of the staff at the station have caught covid over the last 6 weeks or so, which is a bit of a puzzle because they have had only a couple of cases in the last 2 years amongst the staff, and now it's rife amongst them, they are following the same protocols as before but now it's rampant, something's changed with the virus they were thinking.

Jambo-Jimbo
21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Indeed, just because it's not on the news 24/7 or people aren't talking about covid all the time, doesn't mean they are ignoring it, this is what happens when people just get on with their lives, they are fully well aware that covid is still out there, but don't need to talk about it every waking moment.

JudyJudyJudy
54 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I think people are just almost nonchalant when they hear someone has it. I know several people who have had it lately and all have had very mild symptoms. In fact only known one person who was hospitalised with it and that was pre vaccine time.  No one is ignoring that its not there as we cant due to knowing someone with it but the mindset has changed. People now quite rightly feel it is almost mostly like the cold .  The same demograph becoming ill and or dying are the same demo graph from the beginning of it all. 

People need to stop being so scared of Covid 😂

If you want to wear a mask wear one but don’t start having a hissy fit if you see someone in tescos not wearing one 😂 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

If you want to wear a mask wear one but don’t start having a hissy fit if you see someone in tescos not wearing one 😂 

Its as simple as that.

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Spot on. 

Ainsley Harriott

What's everyone's thoughts on vacinating kids? I have 2 under 10 and have just had their appointment letters. Personally I'm happy for them to build up a natural immunity as both are in good health. Really can't see the rational behind jabbing healthy kids

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Exactly well said, people are not forced to go outside, it's clear masks don't work anyway 

9 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

What's everyone's thoughts on vacinating kids? I have 2 under 10 and have just had their appointment letters. Personally I'm happy for them to build up a natural immunity as both are in good health. Really can't see the rational behind jabbing healthy kids

Kids still have long covid risks. I think they'd be as well to get it, natural immunity is wishful thinking regardless of how healthy they may be. COVID has proven to be quite random.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of my neighbours' daughter is a paramedic and he was telling me that quite a few of the staff at the station have caught covid over the last 6 weeks or so, which is a bit of a puzzle because they have had only a couple of cases in the last 2 years amongst the staff, and now it's rife amongst them, they are following the same protocols as before but now it's rampant, something's changed with the virus they were thinking.

Spoke to her this morning. She is certain she picked it up doing a bank shift on Sunday. The ward she was in charge of had covid and flu patients. Unfortunately there wasn't enough PPE (here we go again) and she said she had to wear a visor the whole shift, which she had to keep taking off and on. Track and trace rang her this morning and she was on the call with them for 30 minutes.

36 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

My kid is similar age and deciding on this too.

He has had Covid and it barely registered. Has had worse colds.

Each to their own and it should be down to personal choice and weighing up risks/benefits. 

39 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

it's clear masks don't work anyway 

Mask do work. It’s the way people wear them and the ignorance of mask etiquette that is the problem. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Not worth it . However up to parents . One of my Neices won’t get her kids vaccinated . Another niece will . 

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Something has changed. We have a subvariant that's about 50% more contagious than the original Omicron variant, which was already about 400% more contagious than the original Covid-19 virus. 

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

So they have had no inoculations at all then? No MMR for example?

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Not comparable 

Ainsley Harriott
16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes they've had inoculations or vaccines against inlnesses that have a history of causing serious inlness or death in children. My point being how many healthy kids have been hospitalised or died world wide as a result of covid? So is there a justification in doing it?

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Something has changed. We have a subvariant that's about 50% more contagious than the original Omicron variant, which was already about 400% more contagious than the original Covid-19 virus. 

That goes without saying, everyone knows that this variant is way more infectious than the original or even the Omicron variant.  That's not what I think my neighbours daughter was getting at.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

On 06/04/2022 at 12:46, JamesM48 said:

He’s completely made a hypothesis about their mask wearing . Bizarre 

Just because you haven't seen people take steps to prevent allergies means no-one does? :laugh:

I daresay you'd 100% stick your nose up in the air at the filtration system I have in the lounge and decide it's another demonstration of a psychologically damaged victim of covid/lockdown fan living in state mandated fear, or some such utter guff - and not simply a type of device I've used for many years to reduce allergens.    

Perhaps educate yourself: https://www.allergyuk.org/types-of-allergies/hayfever/ (Warning. Content may contain masks. 🚨).

5 hours ago, GBJambo said:

People need to stop thinking the pandemic is over.

If folk want to wear a mask they wear one, so don't start having a hissy fit if you see someone in the street wearing one. 🤡

John Findlay
49 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yes they've had inoculations or vaccines against inlnesses that have a history of causing serious inlness or death in children. My point being how many healthy kids have been hospitalised or died world wide as a result of covid? So is there a justification in doing it?

I think there is.

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm holding off at the moment. Not enough justification for it in my view . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )