Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Sopranos, Goodfellows etc. - the Coronavirus pandemic thread's equivalent to the opposing forces having an informal truce and playing football in no man's land on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas everyone. :) :santa2:

Prepare for mortal shells on boxing day when the restrictions kick in. :lol: 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The Americans, I totally lost interest when her astonished sister turned up

Oh keep at it . It gets better and better. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I keep changing my mind on which I prefer more. I rewatch The Sopranos and think that is the best ever. Then I'll rewatch The Wire and think the same about that. :lol: 

Both head and shoulders above the competition.

I like them both but i just feel overall the Sops is slightly better. I just find it very interesting. The whole psychological / therapy spin on the gangster genre. 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sopranos, Goodfellows etc. - the Coronavirus pandemic thread's equivalent to the opposing forces having an informal truce and playing football in no man's land on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas everyone. :) :santa2:

LOLOLOL  I know . I'm typing with a lot of trepidation now. Hyper vigilant. :) wondering what the catch is :( 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Prepare for mortal shells on boxing day when the restrictions kick in. :lol: 

Oh ill be 3 sheets to the wind that day or recovering from Xmas day so I'm usually neutered when hungover. :) 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hospital and ICU numbers not moving at all in response to Omicron.

Surely the penny must be dropping with those who reacted with such fear and panic to a variant that is turning out,  thankfully,  to be a bit of a damp squib. 

I don't know if you are referring to the UK or Scotland with your sweeping statements.   

If it is Scotland, then there has been a small increase in hospitalisations over the last week, up from 494 to 536.  Not a worrying increase as yet, but an increase all the same.

The increase in UK numbers is a bit more marked (probably driven by London). Figures published yesterday showed 8,216 in hospital, up 595 on the previous week and the highest number for 5 weeks.  

Better news on ICU use though (severe illness). Those numbers are flat, or still drifting down slowly. Given that a fair proportion of deaths will come from ICU patients that is good news.

However, I sincerely hope that your "damp squib" outcome is correct and that the modest new restrictions are lifted ASAP.  Your emotive "fear and panic" is not how I view what is in essence a request to get your booster, exercise vigilance, and limited (although will hopefully be proved to be unnecessary) restrictions on events and gatherings.

Am I in a state of fear or panic? No.  Will the restrictions affect my Christmas? No.  I'm living with it.

Wearing a mask at the supermarket for 15 mins this morning - minor inconvenience

Wearing a mask as I enter the pub this evening - minor inconvenience

Taking an LFT before I go to my eldest's for xmas dinner tomorrow - minor inconvenience

Edited by Footballfirst

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

LOLOLOL  I know . I'm typing with a lot of trepidation now. Hyper vigilant. :) wondering what the catch is :( 

There's no catch. It is perfectly possible to take polarising views but still be reasonable to each other without becoming unnecessarily hostile or insulting. Especially when drifting off to unrelated topics. We've been doing better at this recently. 

Something about this thread brings out the worst in people, and I include myself in this, where opposing sides of the debate descend into digs, inflammatory language and provocation, where really it does no favours for either side of the argument and all gets a bit petty. There's one thing that we all fundamentally agree on  - we all want this shit to be over with as quickly as possible. We just have different ideas on what needs to be done to get there.

Edited by Ray Gin

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There's no catch. It is perfectly possible to take polarising views but still be reasonable to each other without becoming unnecessarily hostile or insulting. Especially when drifting off to unrelated topics. We've been doing better at this recently. 

Something about this thread brings out the worst in people, and I include myself in this, where opposing side of the debate descend into digs, inflammatory language and provocation, where really it does no favours for either side of the argument and all gets a bit petty. There's one thing that we all fundamentally agree on  - we all want this shit to be over with as quickly as possible. We just have different ideas on needs to be done to get there.

🤚

manaliveits105
54 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes i liked it but just felt they could have concentrated a bit more about Tony and his mother. Also his relationship with his dad? Why did he become so emasculated by Livia ? That relationship set the template for Tony's relationships with women. Carmela is basically a nice version of his mother I feel. Yes he was great as Junior and the guy who played Dickie too. I definitely think there is room for another film or even a series ? I have been reading the Sopranos wiki online and think ill be due my third watch soon. Been great reading about it all again. 

Yes the Many Saints was fairly disappointing as others have said but definitely leaves the path open for Michael Gandolfini to take on a young Tony’s rise to gangster hood 

Rupert Pupkin
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Merry Christmas fellow bampots  :santa3: 

I'd suggest the mods shut this thread til Monday, for the sake of everyone's happiness. But I'd only get shouted at.

Have a great weekend, folks. :thumb:

You suggesting more restrictions.. I’m not surprised “ Mad ri Ooot..!!!”

😂😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

You suggesting more restrictions.. I’m not surprised “ Mad ri Ooot..!!!”

😂😂😂😂

:rofl:

Nucky Thompson

The city centre was chockers this afternoon. People didn't seem to be in the shops though as they were quiet.

The bars and restaurants were really busy. Good to see

Loads of tourists walking around with suitcases and bags as well

54 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Yes the Many Saints was fairly disappointing as others have said but definitely leaves the path open for Michael Gandolfini to take on a young Tony’s rise to gangster hood 

👌

23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The city centre was chockers this afternoon. People didn't seem to be in the shops though as they were quiet.

👌

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

👍

Footballfirst
25 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

122,186 new cases and 137 new deaths in the United Kingdom.

the explosion of cases is a bit of a damp squib I hope this continues. 

You really hope that the rise in cases of 2.5 times what it was in Scotland at the start of the month or the 4.5 times in London continues?

:conf11:

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You really hope that the rise in cases of 2.5 times what it was in Scotland at the start of the month or the 4.5 times in London continues?

And, we ain't seen nothing yet.

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Absolutely not I just wish it would all go away. I am also happy the figures are not as bad as the predictions were warning us about. 

Rupert Pupkin
3 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Absolutely not I just wish it would all go away. I am also happy the figures are not as bad as the predictions were warning us about. 

Still that article about hospital figures is being ignored...

InternationalJambo
8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't know if you are referring to the UK or Scotland with your sweeping statements.   

If it is Scotland, then there has been a small increase in hospitalisations over the last week, up from 494 to 536.  Not a worrying increase as yet, but an increase all the same.

The increase in UK numbers is a bit more marked (probably driven by London). Figures published yesterday showed 8,216 in hospital, up 595 on the previous week and the highest number for 5 weeks.  

Better news on ICU use though (severe illness). Those numbers are flat, or still drifting down slowly. Given that a fair proportion of deaths will come from ICU patients that is good news.

However, I sincerely hope that your "damp squib" outcome is correct and that the modest new restrictions are lifted ASAP.  Your emotive "fear and panic" is not how I view what is in essence a request to get your booster, exercise vigilance, and limited (although will hopefully be proved to be unnecessary) restrictions on events and gatherings.

Am I in a state of fear or panic? No.  Will the restrictions affect my Christmas? No.  I'm living with it.

Wearing a mask at the supermarket for 15 mins this morning - minor inconvenience

Wearing a mask as I enter the pub this evening - minor inconvenience

Taking an LFT before I go to my eldest's for xmas dinner tomorrow - minor inconvenience

In your own words +42 increase in hospital over the last week. How much of an increase in reported positive tests?

Edited by InternationalJambo

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, InternationalJambo said:

In your own words +42 increase in hospital over the last week. How much of an increase in reported positive tests?

The 7 day average of cases went up from 4,352 last Friday to 6,154, a rise of 41%.  If you just want to do single day figures the number last Friday was 4,352 and now its 7,076, a rise of 63%.

The increase in hospitalisations of 42, is a rise of 8.5% in the last week, which is relatively good news (omicron appears to result in fewer hosiptalisations per case than delta), but hospitalisations also have a lag of a one or two weeks on cases so this weeks rise may reflect the case rise a couple of weeks ago which was around 25% week on week.  

I'd suggest that hospitalisations look like they may rise around a third of the rate of rise in case numbers, so we are likely to see further increases in hospitaisations once a proportion of current cases evolve into serious illnesses needing hospital treatment. 

Unless you know or think differently, of course.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Santa worried about the unvaccinated 

He was booed the other day when he said that he'd had the booster as well.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

He was booed the other day when he said that he'd had the booster as well.

It's an amazing turnaround but he will save lives doing that. 

26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's an amazing turnaround but he will save lives doing that. 

True, but he could have saved a whole lot more if he hadn't been pandering to the anti-vax MAGA conspiracy fruitloafs in the first place.

Not your dyed-in-the-wool real fruitloafs, but the waverers, those who listened to Trump because he was President and were put off vaccines in favour of bleach and many other bogus cures, Trump would have sown the seeds of doubt in many people because of that, that I am sure off.

It really will be a hammerblow to many of his supporters to now learn that their hero has now had all 3 covid vaccine jabs, whilst they have had none.

highlandjambo3
23 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hospital and ICU numbers not moving at all in response to Omicron.

Surely the penny must be dropping with those who reacted with such fear and panic to a variant that is turning out,  thankfully,  to be a bit of a damp squib. 

All a bit like the millennium bug that was going to smash us when the bells struck at midnight 1999, all our defence systems were going to launch missiles at each other, computer crashes, aircraft falling out of the sky and then…..nowt happened.  

Two very significant words highlighted up there, fear and panic.  I ****g hate the media more than ever these days…..they still wheel out the so called experts for there 5 minutes of negative pish every day, there will be a new one on today telling us that standing down wind of a hospital will severely increase your risk of catching something nasty, remember all the windows are open now……go and fek off.

Now, I’m not in complete agreement about a controlled society but, I do believe in experts recommending things to protect us all…..maybe us not knowing about it might seem the right decision at the time as well.

Right from the start this Omicron variant was muted as potentially a lot less lethal but no…..let’s all wheel out a bampot on the news so we can shit ourselves again.

Film on tv last night, huge meteor potentially going to smack into the earth in 6 weeks time, the end of life as we know it, tell the public or not?  Decision was taken not to tell the public as chaos would ensue ending life as we know it.  Meteor hits = end of life, meteor misses = we crack on…….this is where I’m at.  COVID can go and pap shite at the moon…..I’ve had 2 jabs plus my booster, if I need another next year because the science indicates that’s the best course of action the yes I’ll take it, in fact post it to me and I’ll do it myself 😁…..I’m off to Spain to a rented villa next summer….bring it on.

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Santa worried about the unvaccinated 

Surprisingly, he is spot on about the vaccines. To have developed them so quickly is a superb testament to the researchers around the world who were, and still are, involved in developing the various vaccines.

It would have been better though to hear that earlier on, rather than utterances about the use of sunlight and bleach as therapeutics, which helped fuel the critical thinkers before they came up with their own horse dewormer snake oil response to Covid.

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

All a bit like the millennium bug that was going to smash us when the bells struck at midnight 1999, all our defence systems were going to launch missiles at each other, computer crashes, aircraft falling out of the sky and then…..nowt happened.  

Two very significant words highlighted up there, fear and panic.  I ****g hate the media more than ever these days…..they still wheel out the so called experts for there 5 minutes of negative pish every day, there will be a new one on today telling us that standing down wind of a hospital will severely increase your risk of catching something nasty, remember all the windows are open now……go and fek off.

Now, I’m not in complete agreement about a controlled society but, I do believe in experts recommending things to protect us all…..maybe us not knowing about it might seem the right decision at the time as well.

Right from the start this Omicron variant was muted as potentially a lot less lethal but no…..let’s all wheel out a bampot on the news so we can shit ourselves again.

Film on tv last night, huge meteor potentially going to smack into the earth in 6 weeks time, the end of life as we know it, tell the public or not?  Decision was taken not to tell the public as chaos would ensue ending life as we know it.  Meteor hits = end of life, meteor misses = we crack on…….this is where I’m at.  COVID can go and pap shite at the moon…..I’ve had 2 jabs plus my booster, if I need another next year because the science indicates that’s the best course of action the yes I’ll take it, in fact post it to me and I’ll do it myself 😁…..I’m off to Spain to a rented villa next summer….bring it on.

Mayan callender, what happened again, oh yeh SFA.

InternationalJambo
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Hit it out the park with this post 👍.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

In my IT world all it meant was a huge bonus. 

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Me too😊😊

Me three!

IIRC I got £120 an hour for working the nightshift into the new year.

:munny: 

9 hours ago, redjambo said:

Surprisingly, he is spot on about the vaccines. To have developed them so quickly is a superb testament to the researchers around the world who were, and still are, involved in developing the various vaccines.

It would have been better though to hear that earlier on, rather than utterances about the use of sunlight and bleach as therapeutics, which helped fuel the critical thinkers before they came up with their own horse dewormer snake oil response to Covid.

He's like a broken watch - will be right on occasion. 

The rest of his blurb on Spanish flu ending WW1 ...:4:

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Me three!

IIRC I got £120 an hour for working the nightshift into the new year.

:munny: 

Having said that I was still shiting myself at the bells 😊😊

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Except for saying that he came up with them!

This is the same guy who suggested - "Can't we just use a really good Flu vaccine". 

The hubris of this moron asking that as if his limited intellect could trump a room full of experts and he alone had come up with a ground-breaking idea. 

The change in stance is quite surprising, not sure who if anyone is pulling his strings just now. 

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Except for saying that he came up with them!

Not one, not two, but 3 of them. 

He also suggested bleach and ramming a high powered light bulb up your farter. 

19 hours ago, redjambo said:

Took 2 hours to get the first vaccines ready for manufacture once the Chinese government sent the sequence. This was on the news from straight from the lab.

11 minutes ago, escobri said:

Took 2 hours to get the first vaccines ready for manufacture once the Chinese government sent the sequence. This was on the news from straight from the lab.

:D Comedy gold. We knew the makeup of SARS-CoV-2 fairly soon after analysing it when it appeared- it's not particularly hard to do. However, developing a vaccine is not such an easy affair, even if you know what you're developing it against.

If you're not having a laugh, and actually believe what you wrote above, that's actually quite worrying in terms of gullibility, inability to reason, and lack of scientific knowledge.

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, kila said:

The millennium bug was very real! Maybe not planes falling out the sky but a shit time for the IT world. 

Planes falling out of the sky was just the extreme example of the scare that resulted in billions being spent and a whole floor of our offices taken over by IT experts. And of course nothing much happened. And that was the case also  in countries who spent virtually nothing (eg Italy). 

The next big thing was risk management where computer modellers persuaded us the they could manage and largely eliminate risk in volatile finance and commodity markets. Again huge resources spent. Then came 2008. 

And today we are seeing the impact of the faith in markets and faith in computer modelling on the energy business. Free market believers and promoters persuaded not just those who saw the chance of getting rich but also the government, regulators, the public and most of academia that the market would provide. So energy suppliers did not need to have any physical assets beyond a computer system. Contracts for the physical supply were unnecessary. Gas storage was not needed. 

I think some scepticism and questioning of experts and computer modelling is justified.

Edited by Francis Albert

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Comedy gold. We knew the makeup of SARS-CoV-2 fairly soon after analysing it when it appeared- it's not particularly hard to do. However, developing a vaccine is not such an easy affair, even if you know what you're developing it against.

If you're not having a laugh, and actually believe what you wrote above, that's actually quite worrying in terms of gullibility, inability to reason, and lack of scientific knowledge.

It wiz oan the TV. Irrefutable evidence. 

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I hope you haven't  been wearing the same smelly mask pal ? 

Remember to wash it and you don't want to be a twit.

The Mighty Thor

Pep pointing out the age old chain of logical events.....

'Wear a mask or we'll end up behind closed doors again'

Bangers: I'm no wearing a mask likesy

Football behind closed doors.

Bangers: how's the fitba behind closed doors again. FFS

join us next week where we explain night following day. 

9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He needs to stick to football Hes a twit 

You come over as very Labouresque James in your posts! Very Ian Murray with your remarks.

46 minutes ago, escobri said:

It wiz oan the TV. Irrefutable evidence. 

:) You had me for a moment there. Well played.

3 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

You come over as very Labouresque James in your posts! Very Ian Murray with your remarks.

Is that an insult? :) 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )