Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jambogaza said:

Hardly any old specific issue though. They've essentially said we don't trust what you're proposing around a dangerous virus,  the greatest threat to society right now. I think this is damaging and will unravel further, particularly if they lose this Thurs. I note a senior MP has just said BJ could face a leadership challenge next year.

Again, nah. They know what side their bread is buttered on. BJ might face a leadership challenge next year, but not because of this issue, simply because that's par for the course for the Tories.

6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Not sure he would reciprocate your compliments. He was on record in the 80s saying "The surest way to protect the public from Aids is to outlaw homosexuality and lock up offenders".

People  change . Besides AIDS not only affects gays you know . ! Tut tut . Rather a ignorant statement really . I’m not a professional “ gay “  you know . It doesn’t rule my politics and all aspects of my life . 

5 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

🤣 I gave that up early last year. 

Oh no not that old chestnut 🌰 

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Somebody seems to have jobbied on the Uncle Tams' weetabix.

Terrorist

No wait 

Racist

No hang on.....

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

People  change . Besides AIDS not only affects gays you know . ! Tut tut . Rather a ignorant statement really . I’m not a professional “ gay “  you know . It doesn’t rule my politics and all aspects of my life . 

Or views become less electorally popular. My point was on ignorance towards gay men and ironically locking them up, not necessarily about Aids.

Or views become less electorally popular. My point was on ignorance towards gay men and ironically locking them up, not necessarily about Aids.

Aye whatever . Talk about trying to wiggle out of something . 

Edited by JamesM48

44 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So much for the Tories trolling Sturgeon, no extra funding after all. 
https://www.thenational.scot/news/19784409.nicola-sturgeon-tory-claims-extra-funding-just-smoke-mirrors/

Ironically this is exactly how she funds local authorities in Scotland by pretending funding has increased and then establishing that it was all 'smoke and mirrors'

Lord Montpelier

Current stats from S.Africa - 13th December, John Hopkins University

11 deaths

26% fully vaccinated

Life expectancy in S. Africa is 64 - so low public health standards. 

In short, struggling to see the panic

17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Apparently still to come according to some experts on this and other forums.  Its been nearly 3 weeks since the new variant arrived on these shores. Probably longer. 16,503  hospital beds in Scotland ,  541 occupied with covid. 

October seemingly, Kay Burley said that's it's been here since October and there is only 10 people in hospital, in an interview with Javid the other day, something which he didn't dispute nor correct her on, therefore she/Sky News must have information to back that date up.

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Aye whatever . Talk d ouy trying to wiggle out of something . 

Now now, you tried to play the condescending card and when I explain the simple rationale of the use of the statement with regards to his view on liberty and homosexuality, you play the whatever nonsense and project your own bias on me.

1 minute ago, Costanza said:

Now now, you tried to play the condescending card and when I explain the simple rationale of the use of the statement with regards to his view on liberty and homosexuality, you play the whatever nonsense and project your own bias on me.

Why mention my sexual orientation to score points ? Pretty tacky really . 

Such a radical evolution in virulence / pathogenicity would be virtually unheard of so it's little surprise that the scientists are hesitant to commit themselves to a critical thinkerati style of certainty.  Yet.

Ffs calm doon a bit.

32 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Start disinfecting the groceries just in case.

spiderman-peter-parker.gif

23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

People  change .

Sometimes completely and on an almost daily basis. :whistling:

You're just making stuff up now.

No I'm not. You might have thought once you told me that info regarding him I would change my view regarding him and think he was / is a homophobic piece of scum.  I don't think that way. People change.

He said that comment over 30 years ago. Its the past. People move on. He might still be a homophobic piece of shit but he's on my side regarding covid so that's good enough for me. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Got up off the floor have you? Yes i used to wash my messages but like i said people change. Come on thats an old chestnut. Get with it Alex I know your hurting tonight as you aren't wrapped up in cotton wool but chill out

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Agreed 

Agreed. 

Vaccine passports are daft  you agree. 

In a new record for Mr u turn, in the same post

Someone says vaccine passports are a good idea, you agree

😂😂😂😂

Just now, XB52 said:

😂😂😂😂

:illogical:

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

😂😂😂😂

Jim Carrey Yes GIF by filmeditor

Omicron is causing milder disease than Delta in patients in the epicentre of the new Covid variant, the first major real-world study in South Africa confirmed today.

Officials who analysed 78,000 Omicron cases in the past month estimated the risk of hospitalisation was a fifth lower than with Delta and 29 per cent lower than the original virus.  

As a crude rate, Omicron is currently leading to a third fewer hospital admissions than Delta did during its entire wave — 38 admissions per 1,000 Omicron cases compared to 101 per 1,000 for Delta.

The findings lend weight to the theory that the ultra-infectious variant is weaker than previous strains, something which doctors on the ground in South Africa have been claiming for weeks. 

But the reduction in severity is probably not solely down to Omicron being intrinsically milder, according to the South African Medical Research Council which led the analysis. 

Around 70 per cent of South Africans have recovered from Covid already and 23 per cent are double-vaccinated, which has created high levels of immunity. 

The finding will raise hopes that the UK's Omicron wave will be less severe than previous peaks, despite having an older and denser population. Unlike South Africa, the UK is rolling out booster jabs on a mass scale.

The study also found two doses of Pfizer's vaccine still provide 70 per cent protection against hospital admission or death from Omicron, compared to 93 per cent for Delta.

While this is more protection than many scientists initially feared, it still leaves 30 per cent of people vulnerable to severe Omicron disease, four times as many as Delta.   Waning immunity from two Pfizer doses was found to offer just 33 per cent protection against Omicron infection, explaining why the country has seen a meteoric rise in case numbers.

Despite the optimism, No10 was warned today by chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty there will be a a 'significant increase in hospitalisations' from Omicron in the coming weeks. UK experts are concerned that different demographics in Britain make the country more susceptible to high infection numbers and hospital pressure.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10308473/Good-news-Omicron-hospitalisations-South-Africa-Delta-level.html

14 minutes ago, XB52 said:

😂😂😂😂

People change.

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, connlach said:

Ironically this is exactly how she funds local authorities in Scotland by pretending funding has increased and then establishing that it was all 'smoke and mirrors'

👍🏽🤦🏽

26 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Omicron is causing milder disease than Delta in patients in the epicentre of the new Covid variant, the first major real-world study in South Africa confirmed today.

Officials who analysed 78,000 Omicron cases in the past month estimated the risk of hospitalisation was a fifth lower than with Delta and 29 per cent lower than the original virus.  

As a crude rate, Omicron is currently leading to a third fewer hospital admissions than Delta did during its entire wave — 38 admissions per 1,000 Omicron cases compared to 101 per 1,000 for Delta.

The findings lend weight to the theory that the ultra-infectious variant is weaker than previous strains, something which doctors on the ground in South Africa have been claiming for weeks. 

But the reduction in severity is probably not solely down to Omicron being intrinsically milder, according to the South African Medical Research Council which led the analysis. 

Around 70 per cent of South Africans have recovered from Covid already and 23 per cent are double-vaccinated, which has created high levels of immunity. 

The finding will raise hopes that the UK's Omicron wave will be less severe than previous peaks, despite having an older and denser population. Unlike South Africa, the UK is rolling out booster jabs on a mass scale.

The study also found two doses of Pfizer's vaccine still provide 70 per cent protection against hospital admission or death from Omicron, compared to 93 per cent for Delta.

While this is more protection than many scientists initially feared, it still leaves 30 per cent of people vulnerable to severe Omicron disease, four times as many as Delta.   Waning immunity from two Pfizer doses was found to offer just 33 per cent protection against Omicron infection, explaining why the country has seen a meteoric rise in case numbers.

Despite the optimism, No10 was warned today by chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty there will be a a 'significant increase in hospitalisations' from Omicron in the coming weeks. UK experts are concerned that different demographics in Britain make the country more susceptible to high infection numbers and hospital pressure.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10308473/Good-news-Omicron-hospitalisations-South-Africa-Delta-level.html

So that sounds positive in that Omicron leads to a fifth of the number of hospitalisations as Delta. 38 hospitalisations per 1000 infections is still a fairly high amount though and certainly doesn’t suggest Omicron is a mild cold or sniffles. 

Malinga the Swinga

9 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Well said

People MUST wear masks at tynecastle when moving about the stadium - as per Scott Wilson’s requests too over the tannoy 

they will be the selfish twits who will no doubt be the first to moan when restrictions are put on numbers again 

if people keep refusing to do so then we won’t be allowed as many fans at games 

Thanks for bringing this thread back again. We don't have enough threads devoted to mask wearing, as the Covid thread on the shed and the AGM thread on here obviously aren't sufficient.

Look forward to many more of them in coming weeks.

1 hour ago, connlach said:

Yep. But that's different. 

She knows best how the money should be spent. 

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

So that sounds positive in that Omicron leads to a fifth of the number of hospitalisations as Delta. 38 hospitalisations per 1000 infections is still a fairly high amount though and certainly doesn’t suggest Omicron is a mild cold or sniffles. 

The testing in South Africa is poor compared to the UK, so there will be a lot more infections unconfirmed 

51 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

39 minutes ago, XB52 said:

😂😂😂😂

38 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

😬😁

37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Pile on / not a pile on

35 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Jim Carrey Yes GIF by filmeditor

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

People change.

Dear lord.

The usual suspects . Its certainly a pile on/ bullying/ trolling  tonight. I know yall hurting after today but seriously give it a rest. It seems to be classic projection / transference of anger  and scapegoating. its all very fascinating from a psychological point of view but is rather draining and tiring really.   Good evening and god bless. 

image-23-10-21-06-55-6.gif

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The testing in South Africa is poor compared to the UK, so there will be a lot more infections unconfirmed 

So 38 in 1000 likely to be an overestimation then?

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Dear lord.

The usual suspects . Its certainly a pile on/ bullying/ trolling  tonight. I know yall hurting after today but seriously give it a rest. It seems to be classic projection / transference of anger  and scapegoating. its all very fascinating from a psychological point of view but is rather draining and tiring really.   Good evening and god bless. 

image-23-10-21-06-55-6.gif

Poor James. You spend the evening going out of your way to be as antagonistic as possible and then complain of bullying when people are less than pleasant in return. 

If it's upsetting you, you can always pretend to leave the thread again and then do a U-turn and return tomorrow.

Edited by Ray Gin

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Poor James. You spend the evening going out of your way to be as antagonistic as possible and then complain of bullying when people are less than pleasant in return. 

If it's upsetting you, you can always pretend to leave the thread again and then do a U-turn and return tomorrow.

AgonizingSomeAmericanalligator-size_rest

Fxxx the SPFL

It’s also the case that hospital admissions in South Africa have a higher level of younger people who have not been vaccinated 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:greatpost:

20 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

It’s also the case that hospital admissions in South Africa have a higher level of younger people who have not been vaccinated 

Yip. Only 24% vaccinated and with lower life expectancy there, it makes the claims of galloping viruses, tsunamis and tidal waves here in the UK,  quite frankly, utterly ludicrous,  scaremongering nonsense. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

So 38 in 1000 likely to be an overestimation then?

No. The number of hospital admissions is or should be ascertainable. The number of infections Is a function of the number of tests. So with few tests 38 in 1000 likely to be (in fact pretty sure to be) an overestimation.

I will be honest here.

I wear a mask in the concourse the toilets and everywhere until I sit in my seat.

And it makes feel stupid.

I do it out of respect.

I wear mask in shop out of respect.

I'm not convinced of the science but I do it.

I do it out of respect to shop workers

Those that serve bovril 

Those that drive buses.

I've many doubts about government and their intentions .

But let's show respect to folk our side of the street just in case.

If nothing else.

12 minutes ago, Ked said:

I will be honest here.

I wear a mask in the concourse the toilets and everywhere until I sit in my seat.

And it makes feel stupid.

I do it out of respect.

I wear mask in shop out of respect.

I'm not convinced of the science but I do it.

I do it out of respect to shop workers

Those that serve bovril 

Those that drive buses.

I've many doubts about government and their intentions .

But let's show respect to folk our side of the street just in case.

If nothing else.

:clap:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic