Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, Taffin said:

Agreed, sorry not meaning it to be an interrogation or argument. Being honest, I'm just enjoying debating something that's not work this morning to provide a bit of respite from a really busy few days👍

Thanks for sharing that, I really think they should be talking more about that. Maybe they are and I'm just not seeing it in fairness.

I remain a bit sceptical of long Covid as when you read some of the articles the symptoms could apply to how I have felt for periods of time long before Covid showed up but that's just circumstantial stuff so I shouldn't let it shape my thoughts too much. The stuff that Constanza has shared about is interesting and insightful imo.

Cheers, I don't think we should be using long covid or new variants as a cause for hysteria or panic but for me, it's about making a balanced decision on the risks involved and I don't see anything that would make me veer towards not taking the vaccine, other than specific underlying health conditions. 

For what it's worth, the impact of long covid does seem less than what we thought a year ago but still does seem relatively significant.

How common is long COVID? That depends on how you measure it | National Statistical (ons.gov.uk)

Technical article: Updated estimates of the prevalence of post-acute symptoms among people with coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK, 26 April 2020 to 1 August 2021 - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

"...what works is giving people the right information at the right time.”

Aye, Jase. Like telling folk there was no evidence that masks make any difference and then doing a 180 after plenty had died so you could look like you had some kind of control over folk. Chancer.

You know it’s actually disgusting the language and threats he is using , again causing anxiety and worry to people who just want to get on with things and are . He needs to do one 

"That's random - it might be a school, might be a call centre, might be my office, might be yours.” 

The government are chasing tails with this, wasting time, shed loads of cash and taking the eye of the things that truly matter.

What exactly is the end game for the government? Does the hysteria mob never question this?  Most people are double jabbed and zero cases will NEVER be achieved - so what is the end game for them?  When do they 'move on'?

They don't care about you or me, or hospital waiting times - this is clear from the past 21 months.  It is also quite clear that they no longer care about money so I ask again what is the end game for them?

Welcoming record numbers of refugees in, weakening our police forces left right and centre, demasculating our armed forces, putting the needs of the globe before our own left right and centre, locking us down, destroying small businesses, stopping kids from learning, pandering to minority mob rule at every opportunity, controlling our speech, restricting our basic freedoms, mandating the wearing of face masks, telling us how to wash our hands, telling us where we can and can't go.  Our cancer patients are being forgotten, murder is on the rise, suicides are multiplying at a sttaggering rate but it is ok as they are trying to control the spread of covid whilst throwing climate change down our throats.

Why are more people not asking a few more questions?

Just now, jonesy said:

There is no end-game for them, bud. There is only the illusion of control - telling folk to wear masks and closing schools is something they could do. Sadly, most politicians have neither the talent nor the will to make genuine long-term improvements in our society. Instead, the avalanche of petty nonsense which comes from the lowest-common denominator media and large corporations will ensure that most folk continue stuffing their faces into oblivion or working themselves up into a frenzy over nothing.

Oh, there are plenty working themselves up into a frenzy, mate. 

This thread is evidence of that.

It's an irony avalanche !

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

There is no end-game for them, bud. There is only the illusion of control - telling folk to wear masks and closing schools is something they could do. Sadly, most politicians have neither the talent nor the will to make genuine long-term improvements in our society. Instead, the avalanche of petty nonsense which comes from the lowest-common denominator media and large corporations will ensure that most folk continue stuffing their faces into oblivion or working themselves up into a frenzy over nothing.

Priorities are so ****ed up. Covid and the climate have been the priority for almost 2 years. Disgusting.

35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some tears and snotters today likes.  So much for the enlightened kool kids moving on and getting on with normality.  

It's actually frightening how the only ones getting frantic about all this are our wee band of critical thinkers. Now I8 has joined the gang it's only going to get worse (and so much more funny to read too) 

3 hours ago, Boab said:

Swinney talks about trust re. LFTs for nightclubs ?

Why not convey the same message to people going abroad for any reason ?

Why can’t we do an LFT before we go and before we come back without the racket that’s going on here ?

Pointless, I just caught it from someone who was testing every day on return from abroad. Four days in, he tests positive. He had been back at work for those four days and given it to 6 people I know off. Now I am I'll as ****, wife has it and son is having to isolate. I am not happy. Ten days isolation is the only way to prevent passing it on. The rules are a scam.

42 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some tears and snotters today likes.  So much for the enlightened kool kids moving on and getting on with normality.  

You are the one fanatical about covid and being a good government robot whilst morbidly analysing death stats all day everyday (going by this thread).

Do you not regret wasting 2 years of your life? It is almost cult like. Serious question Vic, do you ever question it all? I sometimes do and ask myself if I am missing something. I am confident in my stance though.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I dont actually know anyone working themselves into any frenzy about new variants etc.  In fact it just seems to be on here people are. It was a doomsday scenario 11 days ago apparently. 

36 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Some folk are. In some aspects of our lives and in the national discourse, however, the KBB are still in control of the narrative.

Yes this thread has always had the Lockdown mafia trying to control the narrative  on it. No room or respect for any differing views a lot of the time 

16 minutes ago, XB52 said:

It's actually frightening how the only ones getting frantic about all this are our wee band of critical thinkers. Now I8 has joined the gang it's only going to get worse (and so much more funny to read too) 

Oh be quiet. 

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You are the one fanatical about covid and being a good government robot whilst morbidly analysing death stats all day everyday (going by this thread).

Do you not regret wasting 2 years of your life? It is almost cult like. Serious question Vic, do you ever question it all? I sometimes do and ask myself if I am missing something. I am confident in my stance though.

👍 some wont change their opinion's as they have boxed themselves into a corner.

58 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No tears or snotters from me. Just looking at the bigger picture. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Christmas really has come early for him hasn't it! Grinning from ear to ear at the prospect of further lockdowns.

1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

I’m (relatively) young and pretty healthy. I’m so grateful I was double-vaccinated when I caught Covid. I was very ill and that was with the antibodies there to help fight it. Without those I genuinely believe I would have been in hospital or worse. I would recommend anyone of any age to get vaccinated. 
👍🏻

Same happened to me last year. Just glad I'd had my weetabix that morning or I could have been in the hospital or worse.

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Quite a lot of incorrect,  sweeping assumptions there I8.  The difference lies in the ability to keep an open mind about things.  A truly open mind that is.  If one starts off from a default position of being mistrustful of mainstream science then one can never retain an open mind.  You'll always tend to heavily favour a bias that supports a pre-conceived position.  

A recent example is the (encouraging or hopeful) theory about a distinctly better sounding set of symptoms and severity of illness.  It's quite interesting and somewhat comical how that piece of anecdotal evidence is being hoovered up and taken as scientific certainty by people who spend the rest of their time trying to pick holes in everything else suggested by scientists.  A case study in confirmation bias.

For the record,  I'm hopeful of it becoming a real thing.  The anecdotal evidence is still growing and may go somewhere.  It even tends to offer a possibility of an endemic end state of the pandemic.

Edited by Victorian

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No tears or snotters from me. Just looking at the bigger picture. 

Precisely the opposite James.  Your view on vaccinations is the ultra narrow picture.  You don't seem to conceptualise the bigger picture.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

And it’s quite remarkable that healthy and young people would take a vaccine which has no discernible health benefits for them . In fact it’s ludicrous . We have still to see that mess that lockdown has made on mental and physical health of people. That avalanche will come . 

So positive and optimistic.

16 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Christmas really has come early for him hasn't it! Grinning from ear to ear at the prospect of further lockdowns.

Tell me. Hes back in the limelight again. Loving it it seems 

Nucky Thompson
16 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

The new variant has propelled him back onto our tv screens and he's delighted

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Precisely the opposite James.  Your view on vaccinations is the ultra narrow picture.  You don't seem to conceptualise the bigger picture.

Well judging by the high percentage of youger healthy people not getting vaccinated they are looking at the bigger picture.  Ill never be convinced that healthy people need it let alone children. In fact i consider that state sponsored abuse. We will have to disagree on this issue. 

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

So positive and optimistic.

IM being realistic and looking at the data and projections.  

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

IM being realistic and looking at the data and projections.  

When I simply repost data you call me a negative doom and gloom merchant though.

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

When I simply repost data you call me a negative doom and gloom merchant though.

LOl aye but your data is usually doom and gloom stuff. 

29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Quite a lot of incorrect,  sweeping assumptions there I8.  The difference lies in the ability to keep an open mind about things.  A truly open mind that is.  If one starts off from a default position of being mistrustful of mainstream science then one can never retain an open mind.  You'll always tend to heavily favour a bias that supports a pre-conceived position.  

A recent example is the (encouraging or hopeful) theory about a distinctly better sounding set of symptoms and severity of illness.  It's quite interesting and somewhat comical how that piece of anecdotal evidence is being hoovered up and taken as scientific certainty by people who spend the rest of their time trying to pick holes in everything else suggested by scientists.  A case study in confirmation bias.

For the record,  I'm hopeful of it becoming a real thing.  The anecdotal evidence is still growing and may go somewhere.  It even tends to offer a possibility of an endemic end state of the pandemic.

My mind is always open, in this case I see no true evidence that the entire 'pandemic' is the reality to what you see on MSM.  It talks like we are leaving our houses and stepping over corpses in the street.  Walking around in the Chernobyl air will kill.  It simply is not the case.

Almost everything we have been told is not the case.  At the start it was hospitals are overflowing - this was never the case. It is a virus that only really truly affects those with underlying health problems.  Every healthy man woman and child on the planet has been locked down.  No one is dying FROM it they are dying with it or having had it - notice the wording has evolved over time in the media.

Notice how it is always:

"experts say"

"scientists warn"

Government findings suggest"

Who are these people?

Are you happy that children are not being educated, small businesses are not operating, people are not working, industries are collapsing, people are killing themselves, mental health is decreasing, people are not being treated in dentists and hospitals like we used to? Are you happy that we are walking about like clones and government drones? Are you happy about social distancing? Are you happy that life is utterly shite now for a virus that 99.97% of people are at no risk from?

Covid will always have new variants – the flu has 30,000 different ones a year – these things mutate.  It is time to live with it.  It is clear you are happy being controlled and that is up to you – but the majority for sure now I think want to move on.  What you do with your life is up to you, I think you would ask how high if the little dictator asked you to jump but I am not playing their game anymore.  I should own my own risk, not you and not the government.

Billionnaires seem to be thriving right now as the 99% of the plebs on the planet are toiling.  Do you think it is just co-incidence that the whole climate change bollocks is being rolled out in harmony with this?

Imo we are being conned - it is all one big gigantic global hoax.  You bash on tho and think of this if you may - all your precautions and actions make you no more or less safe than me with this nonsense.  Having a zillion jabs makes no difference.

Wonder what the next catchy slogan will be from the government to combat this variant.

And whilst on the subject since when did pandemics have ****ing slogans!

I really dont know what to make of this article.  Its  a sad tale. However nothing is mentioned about how the impact of being in lockdown affected her physical health ? It also doesn't emphasis she was on very strong immunosuppressants  and  had several co morbidities .   She also refused to seek medical health when she became ill and as such deteriorated . This surely contributed to her death. Also where is the individual responsibly to source what side effects or efficacy of the vaccine might be ? Do people need spoon fed all the time ?   Her husband seems to have displaced anger i feel. 

Michele Brown was vaccinated - but had a suppressed immune system. Would better health advice have saved her? | Society | The Guardian

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

My mind is always open, in this case I see no true evidence that the entire 'pandemic' is the reality to what you see on MSM.  It talks like we are leaving our houses and stepping over corpses in the street.  Walking around in the Chernobyl air will kill.  It simply is not the case.

Almost everything we have been told is not the case.  At the start it was hospitals are overflowing - this was never the case. It is a virus that only really truly affects those with underlying health problems.  Every healthy man woman and child on the planet has been locked down.  No one is dying FROM it they are dying with it or having had it - notice the wording has evolved over time in the media.

Notice how it is always:

"experts say"

"scientists warn"

Government findings suggest"

Who are these people?

Are you happy that children are not being educated, small businesses are not operating, people are not working, industries are collapsing, people are killing themselves, mental health is decreasing, people are not being treated in dentists and hospitals like we used to? Are you happy that we are walking about like clones and government drones? Are you happy about social distancing? Are you happy that life is utterly shite now for a virus that 99.97% of people are at no risk from?

Covid will always have new variants – the flu has 30,000 different ones a year – these things mutate.  It is time to live with it.  It is clear you are happy being controlled and that is up to you – but the majority for sure now I think want to move on.  What you do with your life is up to you, I think you would ask how high if the little dictator asked you to jump but I am not playing their game anymore.  I should own my own risk, not you and not the government.

Billionnaires seem to be thriving right now as the 99% of the plebs on the planet are toiling.  Do you think it is just co-incidence that the whole climate change bollocks is being rolled out in harmony with this?

Imo we are being conned - it is all one big gigantic global hoax.  You bash on tho and think of this if you may - all your precautions and actions make you no more or less safe than me with this nonsense.  Having a zillion jabs makes no difference.

The lack of dental care now is a real concern.  Dentists not only look after our teeth but can detect early mouth cancers and other conditions too  Its scandalous they are not fully opened and providing every service they used to before covid. 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

The lack of dental care now is a real concern.  Dentists not only look after our teeth but can detect early mouth cancers and other conditions too  Its scandalous they are not fully opened and providing every service they used to before covid. 

Well one is telling our country what to do as we speak and the rest from many accounts are riding the covid gravy train and moonlighting giving jabs to the masses.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Well one is telling our country what to do as we speak and the rest from many accounts are riding the covid gravy train and moonlighting giving jabs to the masses.

Yep 

My grandson has just caught it so my daughter's family are isolating. I've got long covid, my sense of smell and taste are not yet back to normal since July! 

Fxxx the SPFL

Just to cheer everybody up another drop of 15 in hospital from yesterday down to 576 and down another 5 in ICU only 38 now. hopefully figures keep on a downward trend. :thumbs_up:

Dennis Reynolds
15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Think you need a new dentist. I was in yesterday for a check up and a scale and polish. 

Had a wisdom tooth out at the hospital a month or so ago. 

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Phoned up to get a check up as it’s way over due,  told they will be back in touch after the year and that they will phone me.  No been for two years now 

Its the same nhs dentist I’ve been at since I was a child (51) now 

I bet if I was to phone up some private place and pay ££££ I’d get seen the next day 

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

They are if you are willing and able to pay private

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve got a few family members similar age to you and gad covid and it had zero impact on them . Zero . So it affects everyone differently really . 

All the more reason to get vaccinated surely if you don’t know how it’s going to affect you if you catch it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Boab said:

Oh, there are plenty working themselves up into a frenzy, mate. 

This thread is evidence of that.

It's an irony avalanche !

Genuinely surprised at the level of anger and distress over the past 24 hours on this thread. Definitely a need to calm down required by some!

55 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ll never be convinced that healthy people need it let alone children. In fact I consider that state sponsored abuse. 

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole in the afternoon, James. 🙈

17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It is open as I may be wrong.

Do you think you may be wrong?

Yeah of course, I've held my hands up plenty on here.

You really, really aren't open minded though.

2 minutes ago, LMc said:

Think you need a new dentist. I was in yesterday for a check up and a scale and polish. 

Had a wisdom tooth out at the hospital a month or so ago. 

As with my post above I can’t get seen at my dentist in Musselburgh. 
I think some are busier than others 

Never thought I’d see the day I want to go to the dentist as I hate the bloody place. 

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good stuff. A lost Christmas for hospitality (sans furlough) would be a tipping point for many businesses.

Caveat from Sturgeon the restrictions will be reviewed on a daily basis. 

Just now, Smithee said:

Yeah of course, I've held my hands up plenty on here.

You really, really aren't open minded though.

I would argue that would apply to most human beings. Take 80% of the world who believe in a particular religion straight away.

2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Caveat from Sturgeon the restrictions will be reviewed on a daily basis. 

Gives them something to do I guess, it is not like there is **** all else getting attention.

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, theshed said:

As with my post above I can’t get seen at my dentist in Musselburgh. 
I think some are busier than others 

Never thought I’d see the day I want to go to the dentist as I hate the bloody place. 

Probably right. A busy dentist probably means a good dentist though. Wonder what that makes mine....

I would argue that would apply to most human beings. Take 80% of the world who believe in a particular religion straight away.

"My mind is always open" is an odd thing to say then eh?

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, LMc said:

Probably right. A busy dentist probably means a good dentist though. Wonder what that makes mine....

Dentist | oldspouse

25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I really dont know what to make of this article.  Its  a sad tale. However nothing is mentioned about how the impact of being in lockdown affected her physical health ? It also doesn't emphasis she was on very strong immunosuppressants  and  had several co morbidities .   She also refused to seek medical health when she became ill and as such deteriorated . This surely contributed to her death. Also where is the individual responsibly to source what side effects or efficacy of the vaccine might be ? Do people need spoon fed all the time ?   Her husband seems to have displaced anger i feel. 

Michele Brown was vaccinated - but had a suppressed immune system. Would better health advice have saved her? | Society | The Guardian

It's the Guardian it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

They also did a similar article on that 42 year old superfit, bodybuilder guy with "no underlying conditions" who died unvaccinated.

Conveniently for their agenda they never mentioned the guy had the underlying condition of asthma.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

"My mind is always open" is an odd thing to say then eh?

I'd like to think it is in most things.  I always like evidence, the truth, cast iron proof and to hear 2 sides of the story.

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Doesn't stop the "How worried should we be?" headlines from the BBC.

“Really concerning” according to Nicola 😴

I'd like to think it is in most things.  I always like evidence, the truth, cast iron proof and to hear 2 sides of the story.

:kirklol:

Mind when you said you don't hate and I did a quick search and came up with hundreds of your posts talking about what you hate?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic