Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

It is funny how everyone is different in relation to this.  My mum is 93 and her view is that I have lived my life and would not want all the effort, resources and time spent saving it when young people with illnesses where NHS services can perhaps save them need to be addressed.  Her rationale is why keep me propped up for a year or two when a young person can perhaps be given decades more time.

Not saying all 90 year old's think like that, and certainly not putting you mother in that category but I wonder how many feel that way when asked?  We all assume we have the answers but do we? 

Obviously I want my mum to live forever.

Good post. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

there is generally a disproportionate amount of resource devoted to keeping old people alive. That's how the demographic works on the NHS 

But when every death of an 80 or 90 year old with serious underlying  health problems is reported as a tragedy  You're just making this up

and many prompt a long "Taken by the virus" type piece in the media You're making this up too 

what would you expect governments' and politicians generally to do? 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

manaliveits105
5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

No not at all ! The daily stats had their use but some over analysed them every single day and I think we are able to see a clearer picture on weekly stats . There was not very noticeable movement each day to really make any realistic assessment as such I felt . 

👍

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

15 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I thought there was a decent and serious discussion there. Of course the NHS demand is weighted towards older people. I of course meant disproportionate in that context. And I did not make anything up in the two examples you referred to.

2 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Bloody nonsense. By all accounts the symptoms are mild. 

All international arrivals to the UK will again be required to take pre-departure COVID-19 tests to tackle the spread of the new Omicron variant, the health secretary has announced.

It's scandalous.

What kind of society treats the vaccinated just like the unvaccinated.

Before you know it peope will be accusing them of spreading the virus.

It is now beyond the realms of farcical.  No-one knows what the **** the rules are. They change from minute to minute. The legislation and policy are being made up on the hoof. Far too many folk are making an absolute fortune from people's misfortune. We are turning into the US 🇺🇸 and living in a state of constant fear.  I for one am burst with it all. 

Edited by EH11_2NL

Things aren't that bad.

Sturgeon's still going for her cheeky wee cotton tartan mask for photo ops instead of following the science and using a N95 or surgical mask.

We can hit the panic button when her choice of mask is based on mask effectivity rather than concerns about whether people will recognise her or not.

Edited by Rocco_Jambo

6 hours ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

Things aren't that bad.

Sturgeon's still going for her cheeky wee cotton tartan mask for photo ops instead of following the science and using a N95 or surgical mask.

We can hit the panic button when her choice of mask is based on mask effectivity rather than concerns about whether people will recognise her or not.

:cornette_dog:

15 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

All international arrivals to the UK will again be required to take pre-departure COVID-19 tests to tackle the spread of the new Omicron variant, the health secretary has announced.

This is a bloody joke now. 
It’s just all about making more money from people over Christmas and new year that have booked to go away. 

I’ve booked for Tenerife next month but will probably cancel now as it really is no worth all the hassle of testing when over there. 

Travel industry must be really pissed off with this news 

Get double jagged to get your life back to normal they said. I’ve got my booster booked for two weeks time but have to wonder why I bother to be honest 

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, theshed said:

This is a bloody joke now. 
It’s just all about making more money from people over Christmas and new year that have booked to go away. 

I’ve booked for Tenerife next month but will probably cancel now as it really is no worth all the hassle of testing when over there. 

Travel industry must be really pissed off with this news 

Get double jagged to get your life back to normal they said. I’ve got my booster booked for two weeks time but have to wonder why I bother to be honest 

It's much easier and cheaper to get tested over there. They are accepting LFT or PCR for pre departure.

I'm going in February and if it's still in place, it won't put me off

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Johnston to make an announcement on December 18th whether Christmas will be cancelled 😂

I love how the media twist their headlines :rofl:

December 18th is when the 'new' restrictions on travel and masks gets reviewed 

The Real Maroonblood
59 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Johnston to make an announcement on December 18th whether Christmas will be cancelled 😂

Will he do an Alan Rickman impersonation?

SectionDJambo

The reintroduction of these tests for travel into the UK could end up being counter productive to encouraging people to get their covid jabs. We were told it was the best way to get our lives back to some normality.

It’s certainly not an incentive for getting the vaccine for any people wavering over whether to bother, when the implication is that if something a bit different from the previous strains comes along, the vaccine might not work.

Is it just a matter of time before Sturgeon tells us only 2 or maybe 4 in your house for Christmas, or have your Christmas dinner in your back garden? She’ll have a problem if she tries to ban New Year’s Day gatherings this year.

11 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Sturgeon tells us only 2 or maybe 4 in your house for Christmas, or have your Christmas dinner in your back garden? She’ll have a problem if she tries to ban New Year’s Day gatherings this year.

Doubt that's going to happen. She will go on about taking tests etc before visiting people.  I suppose that makes sense really.  It'll give her a feeling and the Govt a feeling of control.  As far as I am aware no one would pay any attention to any ludicrous Xmas day rules which restrict how many people we " are allowed  " to have wherever we celebrate it,.

2 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

:cornette_dog:

Cute wee dog.

He looks like he would prefer it if you left  his backside alone though.

2 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Like bringing in travel restrictions after the new variant is already here, trying to shut the gate after the horse has bolted.

People will make Xmas plans and go ahead with them regardless. 
If the review decides not to introduce any more restrictions, he’ll be told to **** off anyway…because he’s an arsehole !

Merry Christmas 🎅 

20 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

All international arrivals to the UK will again be

required to take pre-departure COVID-19 tests to tackle the spread of the new Omicron variant, the health secretary has announced.

By all accounts except the rising hospitalisation rate in South Africa.

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

By all accounts except the rising hospitalisation rate in South Africa.

89% are unvaccinated

A rise in children with mild symptoms 

S.African official says children sick with COVID-19 have mild infections | Reuters

'Healthcare workers could be acting out of an abundance of caution. They would rather have a child under care for a day or two than having a child at home complicating.

Bed occupancy is still only at 13%

Still need to wait to see what happens with the severity of symptoms and the scale of hospitalisation.  There's absolutely no steer from South Africa yet because it has a younger population in general and the majority of infections are in mostly younger people.  S.A. has a much lower vaccination rate but it's augmented by a fairly large recent wave and subsequent natural immunisation,  which in itself was probably under-detected due to less testing and more mild infections not coming to light.  There really is no telling yet of what the clinical picture will be here.  Much,  much higher vaccination rate.  Lots of the more vulnerable groups now boosted as well.  I think the prevailing concern is that,  while the rate of acute illness could well be fairly small,  the large number of infections (if they come) multiplied by the fairly small rate of severe symptoms = a big number.  Over quite a short period of time.  There's also an economic and essential services element to contend with.  This variant looks capable of producing some high,  high numbers of infections.  There's going to be a hell of a lot of people isolating in that case.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Still need to wait to see what happens with the severity of symptoms and the scale of hospitalisation.  There's absolutely no steer from South Africa yet because it has a younger population in general and the majority of infections are in mostly younger people.  S.A. has a much lower vaccination rate but it's augmented by a fairly large recent wave and subsequent natural immunisation,  which in itself was probably under-detected due to less testing and more mild infections not coming to light.  There really is no telling yet of what the clinical picture will be here.  Much,  much higher vaccination rate.  Lots of the more vulnerable groups now boosted as well.  I think the prevailing concern is that,  while the rate of acute illness could well be fairly small,  the large number of infections (if they come) multiplied by the fairly small rate of severe symptoms = a big number.  Over quite a short period of time.  There's also an economic and essential services element to contend with.  This variant looks capable of producing some high,  high numbers of infections.  There's going to be a hell of a lot of people isolating in that case.  

the word was that covid had become an epidemic of the unvaccinated

that being the case the very large number shouldn’t materialise here given our high-uptake of the vaccine

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

that being the case the very large number shouldn’t materialise here given our high-uptake of the vaccine

With Delta yes.  This has already been shown to have quite a material rate of breakthrough infection.  This has been measured everywhere there have been cases.  So it looks like it's not going to be a continuation of an epidemic of the unvaccinated.  It looks like a different phase coming up.  If the hospitals were to remain able to manage then that's the critical thing avoided.  Depends on the rate of breakthrough × the transmissibility but the number of ongoing infections could mean a lot of people isolating.  You can be sure that that is also high on the agenda for governments.

1 minute ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Some folk on here FFS!!  

Eternal Covid Gloom...

Take a step back.

AB993247-8CDF-41F9-B0EB-C97C26FC8D22.jpeg

There's no gloom being suggested.  Only reasonable opinion.  If you're too fragile to handle it then maybe it's you who should take a step back.

9 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Millions are still unvaccinated in the UK. 

There was quite a useful pointer from one scientist a few days ago.  There are so many variables and contributory factors involved and so many unknown quantities that still need to be studied that his reasoning is that,  the worse this is ultimately going to be,  the sooner it will become apparent.  By implication,  the longer it drags on with the experts still unable to provide definites,  the better it will tend to end up.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Millions are still unvaccinated in the UK. 

Yeah I wasn’t sure how big the very large number Vic was referring to but he’s clarified above that it was delta that was the epidemic of the unvaccinated but looks like this one might include the vaccinated too - so the millions unvaccinated plus the multiple times of millions vaccinated appear could be involved here according to Vics research

hopefully not :(

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

There was quite a useful pointer from one scientist a few days ago.  There are so many variables and contributory factors involved and so many unknown quantities that still need to be studied

not aimed at you mate (or anyone in particular) but good to see the level of debate has moved on from making direct comparisons between two countries because they are both islands :)

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Yeah I wasn’t sure how big the very large number Vic was referring to but he’s clarified above that it was delta that was the epidemic of the unvaccinated but looks like this one might include the vaccinated too - so the millions unvaccinated plus the multiple times of millions vaccinated appear could be involved here according to Vics research

hopefully not :(

Yes.  It's all unknowns though.  Not even something that could be modelled.  The key people just have to watch it in real time,  gather data and then conclude.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes.  It's all unknowns though.  Not even something that could be modelled.  The key people just have to watch it in real time,  gather data and then conclude.  

you can model anything just need to explain whats been done and why - something which the previous modellers weren’t so keen to do (for fairly obvious reasons) - edit - no doubt was available but didn’t appear to be ready available to the punters translated into in plainer language

agree they will be pouring over the real time data - hopefully with calm heads and no agendas

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Rupert Pupkin
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There's no gloom being suggested.  Only reasonable opinion.  If you're too fragile to handle it then maybe it's you who should take a step back.

Fragile..😂😂😂😂
Notice it was you who jumped in with both feet in reply... 🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻

Im done here, I have other things to do and a life to lead, rather than obsessing on here.. 👋👋👋

4 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Fragile..😂😂😂😂
Notice it was you who jumped in with both feet in reply... 🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻

Im done here, I have other things to do and a life to lead, rather than obsessing on here.. 👋👋👋

Good idea.  I'll carry on having an adult discussion with anyone who wants one.  

55 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Some folk on here FFS!!  

Eternal Covid Gloom...

Take a step back.

AB993247-8CDF-41F9-B0EB-C97C26FC8D22.jpeg

Misery breeds company 

49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Indeed. Motorways were nice and quiet as well, meaning I could get to some beautiful walks all over Scotland during the 'stay in yer ain council area' restrictions. Was lovely.

Oh remember the shit that caused on here ? 😂 you were called for everything really ! 😂😂

Edited by JamesM48

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Were the hippos wearing masks? Were they vaxxed?

Hope they end up in ICU so they can learn their bloody lesson.

Don’t think they were wearing masks or were vaxxed . Seems they were just irresponsible and thought it couldn’t  happen to them ! Imagine waking to next them in ICU ! 😂

45 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Devi currently penning tomorrows Guardian article calling for all zoos to be closed as a precaution until we know more.

Just now, Rocco_Jambo said:

Devi currently penning tomorrows Guardian article calling for all zoos to be closed as a precaution until we know more.

Arhgghhh it wouldn’t surprise me ! 😎

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Indeed. Motorways were nice and quiet as well, meaning I could get to some beautiful walks all over Scotland during the 'stay in yer ain council area' restrictions. Was lovely.

I'm fortunate, I don't need to travel for the scenic walks, plenty right here within 5 minutes of my house.

47 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How many people usually end up in hospital with the common cold?

How many people have ended up in hospital with Omicron?

Nucky Thompson
45 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How many people usually end up in hospital with the common cold?

Christ. Do you work for the tabloids :cornette:

You must be fun to be around. Is your Mrs still there?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic