Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Dennis Denuto
9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

"play your part, get boosted"

Rings hollow; it was play your part get vaccinated.

There was always the chance that boosters were going to be required, especially with new variants. 

vaccination was a game changer, you can’t deny it. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Dennis Denuto said:

There was always the chance that boosters were going to be required, especially with new variants. 

vaccination was a game changer, you can’t deny it. 

The game doesn't feel changed. In fact it feels frustratingly similar. 

The stats undoubtedly back you up, but they appear to be being ignored.

Plan B is a tiny intervention into the game.  It will have virtually no meaningful effect.  It makes no difference now.  The boosters will take the strain of the infections... or they wont.  If they don't then a post-festive lockdown is belting over the horizon.  

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

We’ll definitely see Wee Jimmy Skanky bringing in further restrictions up here now in the coming week.

Why? We are already at plan B.

Nucky Thompson

It seems like a watered down plan B. 

Work from home, if you can.

Masks in theatres and cinemas but not in pubs and restaurants

Just now, Victorian said:

Plan B is a tiny intervention into the game.  It will have virtually no meaningful effect.  It makes no difference now.  The boosters will take the strain of the infections... or they wont.  If they don't then a post-festive lockdown is belting over the horizon.  

That's my opinion too, so why pull the lever? It needlessly harms business, creates societal division and pisses folk off. 

Malinga the Swinga

Are there plans for vaccine passport thingy to be updated to reflect booster shot?

Had it couple of weeks ago, but still not showing on app.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's my opinion too, so why pull the lever? It needlessly harms business, creates societal division and pisses folk off. 

Seen to be doing something ! 

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Are there plans for vaccine passport thingy to be updated to reflect booster shot?

Next week sometime I heard. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

To give the impression of control.  To give the impression of dealing with it.  Lockdown pre-festive was never happening.  This is just a pre-cursor to a full lockdown in 4 weeks in the hope that the vaccines and boosters protect the hospitals.  

It's basically shit or bust.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If they don't then a post-festive lockdown is belting over the horizon.  

So how long does this go on for? 

How sustainable can it be?

How many boosters will we need before we can live with the virus?

We were told, get vaccinated and life will get back to normal.

The vast majority done that and won't put up with another lockdown 

46 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You mean aligning England with Scotland?

Aye  in England it’ll be similar to us next week , so it might mean that England will have similar death stats hospital, admissions etc to Scotland ? Oh wait !!! 

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Took a few weeks to show up on mine (in England) but is there now.

Just now, Victorian said:

To give the impression of control.  To give the impression of dealing with it.  Lockdown pre-festive was never happening.  This is just a pre-cursor to a full lockdown in 4 weeks in the hope that the vaccines and boosters protect the hospitals.  

Think you're spot on.

There was a significant rise in cases a couple of months back but the hospitalisations and deaths didn't really flow through on the back of it as some anticipated...nor did we hit the 100k cases a day some claimed was a stick on.

I reckon we'll come through this just fine, and would have done without plan b too. However the success will be partially attributed to the restrictions rather than wholly to the vaccines as the government will wish to claim credit for acting.

Oh well.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe regular boosters for a while yet.  The omicron wave will pass.  It's just a matter of how bad,  how long.  

People should forget about the stuff about getting vaccinated to return to normal.  The virus moved the goalposts. 

Going ahead it's probably waves,  variants,  multiple boosters,  etc.  The hospitals will always determine what happens.

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The logic of do 'x' to prevent 'y' works well...so long as 'y' is prevented. As soon as it isn't, people start to think 'screw doing 'x'' 

It may be counter-productive, but it will happen. I'm feeling like a bit like that myself this evening.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Agreed . They will have social psychologists who will tell then people will be more amenable to a lockdown in January as every ^^^^ is depressed in that month 👍😎 I’ve basically had a lockdown every Jan for years ! 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Think you're spot on.

There was a significant rise in cases a couple of months back but the hospitalisations and deaths didn't really flow through on the back of it as some anticipated...nor did we hit the 100k cases a day some claimed was a stick on.

I reckon we'll come through this just fine, and would have done without plan b too. However the success will be partially attributed to the restrictions rather than wholly to the vaccines as the government will wish to claim credit for acting.

Oh well.

Delta never laid a glove on the vaccines.  Omicron looks like it will land a few punches.  They simply don't know how much.  

14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Why? We are already at plan B.

Devi and Jason will be out in the next few days to explain it to you.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Most people forget the key message time and time again….

how can you tell a politician (any) is lying - their lips are moving !

1 minute ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Most people forget the key message time and time again….

how can you tell a politician (any) is lying - their lips are moving !

There are only a few I admire or even respect . Bunch of scum really 

Fxxx the SPFL
25 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

We’ll definitely see Wee Jimmy Skanky bringing in further restrictions up here now in the coming week.

She can go and stick her head up her arse I’ll be fecked if I’m missing any family meet ups hardly any bar steward in hospitals with Covid get bloody on with life 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Agreed . They will have social psychologists who will tell then people will be more amenable to a lockdown in January as every ^^^^ is depressed in that month 👍😎 I’ve basically had a lockdown every Jan for years ! 

Everyone can see it coming this time.  Nobody wants it but I think most realise it's inevitable if we're not saved by our vaccination coverage.  

Even a full lockdown will struggle to hold omicron though.  It looks like it spreads quickly and the numbers could go high.  It will be a sort of mix between a full lockdown + unavoidable infections.  In a way it should shorten the wave a bit.  

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Delta never laid a glove on the vaccines.  Omicron looks like it will land a few punches.  They simply don't know how much.  

But hospitalisations peaked this year at the start of November and everything was still fine. Either Omicron was already here and caused that or it's yet to achieve that, or may never achieve that.

Simplistic I know, but why was >9000 cases in November not an issue but c.7000 an issue in December?

Similar story with deaths too.

It feels like the narrative has shifted based entirely on supposition.

That question is directed at you; it's just the question I'm left with.

Edit: I've said this year about, but I only looked back 6 months, could have been higher at the start of the year.

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Everyone can see it coming this time.  Nobody wants it but I think most realise it's inevitable if we're not saved by our vaccination coverage.  

Even a full lockdown will struggle to hold omicron though.  It looks like it spreads quickly and the numbers could go high.  It will be a sort of mix between a full lockdown + unavoidable infections.  In a way it should shorten the wave a bit.  

👍

Just now, Taffin said:

But hospitalisations peaked this year at the start of November and everything was still fine. Either Omicron was already here and caused that or it's yet to achieve that.

Simplistic I know, but why was >9000 cases in November at issue but c.7000 an issue in December?

Similar story with deaths too.

It feels like the narrative has shifted based entirely on supposition.

That question is directed at you; it's just the question I'm left with.

There was stability and predictability.  They don't know the key inputs with this.  How many infections? How will the boosters keep a lid on hospitalisations?  How will the 5,000,000 unvaccinated people get on?  How long will thd wave last?

Malinga the Swinga

Had all vaccines and booster, and can't quite understand why another lockdown needed?

This variant seems, according to the experts, to be more transferrable but according to all the numbers, it's not as serious and hospitalisations and deaths aren't accelerating.

You aren't going to persuade people to take vaccine now? If they haven't had it already, then I don't see anyone suddenly deciding to have first vaccine, as their minds made up.

Have to admit, sick to death of this protecting the 'insert word here'. We have protected the elderly, the vulnerable and the NHS. We had 2 lockdowns that were utterly miserable experiences for almost all, and yet here we are again, with the scientists demanding another one. They also demand that their funding carries on though and that seems to be the priority for them. If life returned to something like normality, then they do not get their nice grants to fund their research. They've become accustomed to receiving whatever monies they want and they don't want to give the gravy train up.

Scientists and politicians are just playing God with people's lives. 

Not much I can do about it though.

There was stability and predictability.  They don't know the key inputs with this.  How many infections? How will the boosters keep a lid on hospitalisations?  How will the 5,000,000 unvaccinated people get on?  How long will thd wave last?

You say that it was predictable, but Ferguson predicted (very firmly) 100k cases per day...never happened. So it either wasn't that predictable or he was at it.

I don't see this as being much different. The answers to those questions just as easily could be:

- Considerably less than 100k per day 

- very well 

- mostly fine 

- doesn't matter as long as the above holds true

It just feels a bit like the only thing to fear is fear itself. I appreciate the ideology of planning for the worst outcome but equally who dares wins and all that.

I also accept it could pan out terribly.

The previous plateau of 40,000 daily infections was useful.  It added a steady,  daily amount of population immunity against the dominant strain.

New strain comes along.  Known to have significant evasion of vaccine sterilisation performance.  Plateau totally busted.  Current omicron strain growth is approx 8 fold per week.  1 infection becomes 4000 in a month.  There's already 10,000 supected infections.  That's 40m in a month if unchecked or the boosters don't suppress infections spreading.

5,000,000 unvaccinated people.  Going by those numbers,  most of them can expect to be infected within 4-6 weeks.  No protection against acute illness from a vaccine.  Even at a 1% hospitalisation rate,  that's 50,000 presentations over a month or so.  That's not even counting anyone vaccinated.

Those are some of the challenges.  Mild symptoms?  Let's hope so.

Edited by Victorian

Vital question to answer.  Will omicron continue to grow 8 fold per week as Delta is elbowed out?  Will omicron achieve a slow down or plateau as Delta is elbowed out?

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The previous plateau of 40,000 daily infections was useful.  It added a steady,  daily amount of population immunity against the dominant strain.

New strain comes along.  Known to have significant evasion of vaccine sterilisation performance.  Plateau totally busted.  Current omicron strain growth is approx 8 fold per week.  1 infection becomes 4000 in a month.  There's already 10,000 supected infections.  That's 40m in a month if unchecked or the boosters don't suppress infections spreading.

5,000,000 unvaccinated people.  Going by those numbers,  most of them can expect to be infected within 4-6 weeks.  No protection against acute illness from a vaccine.  Even at a 1% hospitalisation rate,  that's 50,000 presentations over a month or so.  That's not even counting anyone vaccinated.

Those are some of the challenges.  Mild symptoms?  Let's hope so.

What about the game changing pill that has been developed? All these forecasts are focused entirely on negative scenarios and totally ignore any positive ones. 

In fact, positive thought is discouraged by UK scientists who stamp on it. Why is SA comments on this variant ignored? They say it's mild and of no great concern, but this ignored here where instead, people like Prof Ferguson and his doomsday modelling hold away. This despite his modelling being no more reliable than the Hibs defence when facing Robbo.

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You say that it was predictable, but Ferguson predicted (very firmly) 100k cases per day...never happened. So it either wasn't that predictable or he was at it.

I don't see this as being much different. The answers to those questions just as easily could be:

- Considerably less than 100k per day 

- very well 

- mostly fine 

- doesn't matter as long as the above holds true

It just feels a bit like the only thing to fear is fear itself. I appreciate the ideology of planning for the worst outcome but equally who dares wins and all that.

I also accept it could pan out terribly.

Was Ferguson talking about reported cases or how many people are estimated to have it at any point?

Malinga the Swinga

Vital question to answer.  Will omicron continue to grow 8 fold per week as Delta is elbowed out?  Will omicron achieve a slow down or plateau as Delta is elbowed out?

Who knows, but personally, don't trust our government or SAGE advisors to do the right thing.

Certainly our media will be leading panic and fear building in days ahead. They have been a disgrace throughout the whole ****ing nightmare.

4 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Was Ferguson talking about reported cases or how many people are estimated to have it at any point?

Daily cases. I'm assuming using the same measurement as to how they report daily cases.

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What about the game changing pill that has been developed? All these forecasts are focused entirely on negative scenarios and totally ignore any positive ones. 

In fact, positive thought is discouraged by UK scientists who stamp on it. Why is SA comments on this variant ignored? They say it's mild and of no great concern, but this ignored here where instead, people like Prof Ferguson and his doomsday modelling hold away. This despite his modelling being no more reliable than the Hibs defence when facing Robbo.

It will help big time.  The current stock/orders is limited.  They might need more.  Plus it's very costly.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, JamesM48 said:

8AE84F61-237D-4FFC-8F5C-B47811B51D50.jpeg

He's never questioned, he's never taken too task and he has far too much sway for me. Why isn't he hauled out and forced to confront his errors?

Never apologies either. Just ignores the previous ones and carries on spouting shit 

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Who knows, but personally, don't trust our government or SAGE advisors to do the right thing.

Certainly our media will be leading panic and fear building in days ahead. They have been a disgrace throughout the whole ****ing nightmare.

No offence but it's irrelevant what the media do.  The numbers will go where they go and we're only along for the ride.  Couldn't care less about the media.

Edited by Victorian

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It will help big time.  The current stock/orders is limited.  They might need more.  Plus it's very costly.

Not as costly as another lockdown, either financially or mental health wise.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

He's never questioned, he's never taken too task and he has far too much sway for me. Why isn't he hauled out and forced to confront his errors?

Never apologies either. Just ignores the previous ones and carries on spouting shit 

I don’t think most people take gum seriously really 

Daily testing to be a requirement for people in England who've had contact with someone who's had a positive case of Covid.

Money spinner for someone...and it ain't the taxpayer.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

No offence but it's irrelevant what the media do.  The numbers wi go where they go and we're only along for the ride.  Couldn't care less about the media.

It's not irrelevant though. Media set agenda and feed the panic. They could question numbers, focus on severity of virus, look at positive changes but instead, they choose to drive negatively all the time.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I don’t think most people take gum seriously really 

Depends if it's Wrigley's or not.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Daily testing to be a requirement for people in England who've had contact with someone who's had a positive case of Covid.

Money spinner for someone...and it ain't the taxpayer.

Looks as though this is just poor reporting from the BBC and is instead an option to avoid isolation not a replacement.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's not irrelevant though. Media set agenda and feed the panic. They could question numbers, focus on severity of virus, look at positive changes but instead, they choose to drive negatively all the time.

They may well do but the media has no effect on what actually happens with the epidemic.  We've heard about mild symptoms but it's still a fragile hope.  Not proved out yet.  I pay little attention to the media headlines.  Much better info can be easily accessed.

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Ferguson warned of 100,000k a day infections if the PM went ahead with 'freedom day' in July.

He backtracked a few weeks later when it was obvious that it wasn't happening 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic