Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Chillidigits said:

Read something the other day about a new strain emerging. About 10% more transmissible than current one but about the same in terms of how it affects us. Viruses never seem to leave us off their Christmas list.

It's allegedly also much more asymptomatic

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

I've not worn a mask in months and not vaccinated and not caught anything.

If I were a financial expert I'd say, past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Let's hope you are as fortunate in the coming months as you have been in the previous months.

4 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Read something the other day about a new strain emerging. About 10% more transmissible than current one but about the same in terms of how it affects us. Viruses never seem to leave us off their Christmas list.

Yes it’s getting near Xmas so it’s time ti release that old chestnut again “ a new variant “ ! 

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Shushhh !! that means it’s harmless really ! Imagine that ? A virus losing its virulence and potency ! 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it’s getting near Xmas so it’s time ti release that old chestnut again “ a new variant “ ! 

You should see what Japanese scientists are saying about the new variants, I know the media like a headline but they are going along the lines of covid is mutating its self into extinction. Cases there have took a massive drop in the last few weeks.

Just now, Herbert said:

You should see what Japanese scientists are saying about the new variants, I know the media like a headline but they are going along the lines of covid is mutating its self into extinction. Cases there have took a massive drop in the last few weeks.

Better telling that to Sturgeon et al then ! 👍

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I am becoming more confident that the human race has dodged a bullet here, with Covid-19.

Two years into this and out of the hundreds of thousands of variants/mutations there hasn't been any or any signs that one is more deadlier than the original strain, easlier to catch yes, but deadlier no.  I'd had thought after two years if she was going to become worse she'd have at least shown some signs of doing so, but it seems she's going the opposite way and becoming easiler to catch but producing milder illness.

Wonderful if that's so.

14 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I hope they are correct.

Edited by Boy Daniel
are

9 minutes ago, Herbert said:

That's not what they're saying.  The theory is about Delta possibly having mutated itself out of transmission in one epidemic (Japan).  It doesn't mean coronavirus has gone extinct and doesn't exclude the possibility of any other strains appearing in Japan or elsewhere.

Interesting nonetheless.

Seymour M Hersh
18 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Doesn't that happen quite often with viruses?  They mutate and weaken to the point they are harmless to us? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

It's interesting and encouraging.  But it concerns Delta as one strain possibly having weakened away.  Delta is/was out-competing other strains for dominance,  but if it has chucked in the towel,  it presents the space for other strain(s) to compete and spread.  

Japan will be well worth keeping an eye on in that regard.

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Doesn't that happen quite often with viruses?  They mutate and weaken to the point they are harmless to us? 

Think that's what happened to Spanish flu. It will end up like the flu, everyone gets it and it's shit but for the majority it's just a inconvenience.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

It's interesting and encouraging.  But it concerns Delta as one strain possibly having weakened away.  Delta is/was out-competing other strains for dominance,  but if it has chucked in the towel,  it presents the space for other strain(s) to compete and spread.  

Japan will be well worth keeping an eye on in that regard.

Will the next strain not be a mutation from delta like the one spreading in the UK now?

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Think that's what happened to Spanish flu. It will end up like the flu, everyone gets it and it's shit but for the majority it's just a inconvenience.

For the vast majority it’s always been an inconvenience 

7 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Will the next strain not be a mutation from delta like the one spreading in the UK now?

Maybe.  Or some other imported strain that out-competes Delta.  

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Maybe.  Or some other imported strain that out-competes Delta.  

Bet the labs are working overtime to get the new strain out by Xmas.

Just now, Alex Kintner said:

what-if-conspiracy-2133566c50.jpg

What if conspiracy theorists have called alot of things out so far like vaccine passports, covid camps and mandatory jabs.

3 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

This video is the best example of how effect a surgical face mask is compared to wearing no mask at all. 

The problem is none of these studies take in to account absurdity factors like  having to touch your face every time you want to go toilet and wrap it in a wee bit of cloth that’s been rummaging around in you pocket picking up all the crap from your phones, house keys, wallet so it’s “better than nothing” at spreading the virus to people you’ve been standing next to for the last half hour talking to without it on.

Just now, Dennis Denuto said:

I think his last few posts have demonstrated that he is not worth engaging with.

I though he was,  only to realise not.  

Onwards and sideways.

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

If someone is at risk because they have a weekend immune system then they need to take the precautions to keep themselves safe. What I don't get though is alot of the vulnerable are exempt from masks. 

Someone with a respiratory disease like lung cancer or COPD may not be able to tolerate wearing a mask. They have a resonable excuse, you, I'm gonna guess, do not. 

You complain in another post about  "covid camps"  but you expect people with weakened immune systems to hide away, basically like house arrest?

28 minutes ago, Herbert said:

What if conspiracy theorists have called alot of things out so far like vaccine passports, covid camps and mandatory jabs.

Yeah, your not getting away with claiming this. 

Covid passports were on the cards and discussed openly at the start of the pandemic - no "conspiracy theorist" came up with that concept. 
Mandatory jabs already exist for some holiday destinations, attending primary school etc. Again, nothing new here.
Quarantine was a method used in things like the black death etc. Again, not new - although I don't necessarilly agree with the idea. 

So, no, conspiracy muppets haven't called anything out - they just latch on to existing concepts, pretend they knew ahead of everyone else (unprovable) to try to give their more ridiculous claims some form of credibility. 

Edited by Gizmo

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She’s on the power trip the day on the podium ! Be interesting to see how she will spin falling death rates , lower hospital and ICU admissions into the need for more restrictions . All very depressing really . I can guarantee it’ll be a “ cautious “ response as usual . I don’t watch her sermons as I I may spontaneously combust 😂😂😂 

She's desperately chasing a spotlight now that the Virtue Signallers Conference at the SEC is over.

People are out and about, getting back to work, packing pubs and restaurants and gaining immunity to all sorts of viruses. 

There is no justification for any increased restrictions. None at all.

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

She's desperately chasing a spotlight now that the Virtue Signallers Conference at the SEC is over.

People are out and about, getting back to work, packing pubs and restaurants and gaining immunity to all sorts of viruses. 

Correct 👍 it’s businesses I really feel for if there are more restrictions on them . They have been battered into the ground with various lockdowns . 

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes was out on Sunday night . Toon was very busy , Albeit mostly those green and white scarf wearers but still busy . Winter wonderland in the gardens was packed out too . People getting on with it now ., or at least trying to but the constant “ threats “ to tighten restrictions can’t be good for peoples mental health really .

still waiting on the spike from cop 26 too . Elsie was going around the crowd almost like Typhoid Mary ! 😂😎 with and without a mask . 

Edited by JamesM48

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

admin delete

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

She’s on the power trip the day on the podium ! Be interesting to see how she will spin falling death rates , lower hospital and ICU admissions into the need for more restrictions . All very depressing really . I can guarantee it’ll be a “ cautious “ response as usual . I don’t watch her sermons as I I may spontaneously combust 😂😂😂 

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Have a wee trip to the Netherlands and Austria! If she's overly cautious then there's good reason. Thankfully she's listening to advice and making judgements on what's best for this country and its people. Some will agree, some won't. I think I'll trust her more than folk on here especially those with an axe to grind! 

7 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Someone with a respiratory disease like lung cancer or COPD may not be able to tolerate wearing a mask. They have a resonable excuse, you, I'm gonna guess, do not. 

You complain in another post about  "covid camps"  but you expect people with weakened immune systems to hide away, basically like house arrest?

Covid passports were on the cards and discussed openly at the start of the pandemic - no "conspiracy theorist" came up with that concept. 
Mandatory jabs already exist for some holiday destinations, attending primary school etc. Again, nothing new here.
Quarantine was a method used in things like the black death etc. Again, not new - although I don't necessarilly agree with the idea. 

So, no, conspiracy muppets haven't called anything out - they just latch on to existing concepts, pretend they knew ahead of everyone else (unprovable) to try to give their more ridiculous claims some form of credibility. 

What was discussed openly then wasn't what we are now seeing in Scotland as the vaccine pass.

There was a lot of discussion about covid immunity certificates for people who were covid negative or had antibodies. They had to some extent used them in China in the months after their outbreak.

This is vastly different than a vaccine pass where someones covid status is irrelevant and only their vaccine status is.

SuperstarSteve
41 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Bet the labs are working overtime to get the new strain out by Xmas.

My biggest worry over this whole situation, is another lab leak with a far stronger virus. 

America are currently doing similar research to what China we’re doing but with a 15% more deadly strain. Imagine that leaks what a shitshow it’ll be. 

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

That's me had my Pfizer booster and Flu jab at Stirling Uni. Quite a few young folks getting jabbed which is good to see too. 

They are doing walkups too by the look of things. 

Take care everyone.

👍Love is the drug, Jonno. 

12 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Have a wee trip to the Netherlands and Austria! If she's overly cautious then there's good reason. Thankfully she's listening to advice and making judgements on what's best for this country and its people. Some will agree, some won't. I think I'll trust her more than folk on here especially those with an axe to grind! 

The consensus seems to be further restrictions are not necessary . No axe to grind here . 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

We’re doomed.

Just now, JamesM48 said:

The consensus seems to be further restrictions are not necessary . No axe to grind here . 

I'm a little more sympathetic on the SG as they can't win James. I've lost my job and a good wage due to the virus and the impact its had.

Some on here have an axe to grind as we all know regardless of what decisions are made! Have a good day James.

Can't see them going for a blanket approach on all hospitality.  The sheer size of the sector is enormous and presents problems.  Coming up with some other differentiating definition of which ones to pick on would present many more problems.  Even a postponement of the decision for hospitality will be unpopular.  It will be usual moans about uncertainty,  etc.  They just want a guarantee of no vaccine passports and nothing less.  

**** knows what they'll announce.

Edited by Victorian

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Better telling that to Sturgeon et al then ! 👍

As long as Nicola keeps the pubs open.

🍺🍷

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As long as Nicola keeps the pubs open.

🍺🍷

She's not got the power to shut them without Westminster money. So you can thank the Tories for that :thumbsup:

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

She's not got the power to shut them without Westminster money. So you can thank the Tories for that :thumbsup:

👍

I’m now warming to them.

😉

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

I’m now warming to them.

😉

the next time you hear a knock at your door will be when you get deported from scotland

1 hour ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

The problem is none of these studies take in to account absurdity factors like  having to touch your face every time you want to go toilet and wrap it in a wee bit of cloth that’s been rummaging around in you pocket picking up all the crap from your phones, house keys, wallet so it’s “better than nothing” at spreading the virus to people you’ve been standing next to for the last half hour talking to without it on.

Masks are a tool in the armoury against catching Covid19. This is predominantly an airborne virus so first defence would be avoiding breathing in the virus. Washing hands, surfaces is very helpful. One of the flaws with masks are people not using them correctly but you will get flaws in all the strategy’s you deploy to combat any disease. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No change.  :)

it looks like (i dont live in scotland so cant say if this was already in place) the only change is to allow a negative test to be allowed into venues that need VPs

8 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Masks are a tool in the armoury against catching Covid19. This is predominantly an airborne virus so first defence would be avoiding breathing in the virus. Washing hands, surfaces is very helpful. One of the flaws with masks are people not using them correctly but you will get flaws in all the strategy’s you deploy to combat any disease. 

Part of the flaw is in the strategy though with illogical rules relating to mask wearing which I highlighted.

A "better than nothing" cloth mask being used in a environment that has illogical rules which require a person to repeatedly remove and replace it likely negates any slight benefit to those around a person by increasing the chance of the mask user doing things that increase the chance of contamination.

This is the real world where the users of masks are the public including 12 year olds not scientists using masks in lab condition experiments.

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

So up to and including this summer when they said they weren't going to implement covid passes/passports that never happened?

Mandatory jabs to keep your job was never discussed either was the camps Australians are getting dragged into by the army. The only people that called it was conspiracy theorists.

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

Part of the flaw is in the strategy though with illogical rules relating to mask wearing which I highlighted.

A "better than nothing" cloth mask being used in a environment that has illogical rules which require a person to repeatedly remove and replace it likely negates any slight benefit to those around a person by increasing the chance of the mask user doing things that increase the chance of contamination.

This is the real world where the users of masks are the public including 12 year olds not scientists using masks in lab condition experiments.

I have to say I don't really understand the benefits of mask wearing when you can remove it for 99% of your time in a premises. 

To me it seems like there is zero benefit to putting a mask on to go to the toilet, if you don't have one on when in your seats.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I have to say I don't really understand the benefits of mask wearing when you can remove it for 99% of your time in a premises. 

To me it seems like there is zero benefit to putting a mask on to go to the toilet, if you don't have one on when in your seats.

I think it's most likely adding to risk for most. Most people don't touch their faces with their dirty hands before they go to the toilet but they do now.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic