Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

SuperstarSteve
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It was never claimed the vaccine was 100% in stopping hospitalisations and death. 

90% was the rough figure, so 50m people vaccinated still means 500,000 might end up in hospital and some might die.

Look at Russia, it has a lower vaccination uptake and they are getting 1400 deaths a day.

Hey, but the vaccines don't work :conspiracy:

Not that it’s a conspiracy, Some people just don’t listen. They assumed this vaccine wasn’t as effective as other vaccines in stopping spread or you catching it, which they are correct but they also assumed it stopped you being hospitalised and dying. They were wrong. Lots of people believed this to be the case. 

Both vaccined and unvaccined will be declining this pill for many reasons, personally feel as they are limited  the very vulnerable should be offered first. 

Edited by SuperstarSteve

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

On the flip side there will be some that have taken the vaccine already and are in hospital nearing death who also decline this new pill, as the vaccine was suppose to stop them going into hospital, so if the vaccine didn’t work, why would the pill be any different? 

There’s gonna be both vaccinated and unvaccinated declining this pill for many reasons. 

It would be incumbent on clinicians to convince people to desist from deciding their own scientific conclusions based on ignorance.  It has been made abundantly clear that the vaccine conferred immune response is not absolutely effective.  For a small number it will be a weak response or no response.  Immune protection also wanes.  The anti-viral protects in a very different way as it prevents virus from multiplying in already infected people.  The two are completely different things.  

The desired use of this anti-viral is in the home and is to be prescribed by the GP.  It's principle benefit is to reduce hospitalisations and give the NHS a break.  Absolutely undoubtedly there will be pill refuseniks.

One other thing to look out for.  This pill is costly.  A course costs about £500.  That in itself isn't important as this will apply to a less costly drug.  But this pill will become a commodity if it can be accessed by the unscrupulous.  There will always be people who do want to have it and it's inevitable that this will find it's way into the black market.  Probably fakes as well.  It's only going to be made available if you meet one of the qualifying criteria and that in itself will be important.

The Mighty Thor
56 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

See they have approved new pill for Covid treatment that helps those who have caught it avoid hospital/death.

No doubt those who are in hospital after refusing vaccine won't want this either as it is new and could be part of 'great reset'.

Science will find way to break this virus eventually.

Has anyone checked its efficacy with Mike Yeadon, Neil Oliver and Right Said Fred?

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Has anyone checked its efficacy with Mike Yeadon, Neil Oliver and Right Said Fred?

Deeply dippy indeed!

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Karen on fakebook say's it's crap.

4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

See they have approved new pill for Covid treatment that helps those who have caught it avoid hospital/death.

No doubt those who are in hospital after refusing vaccine won't want this either as it is new and could be part of 'great reset'.

Science will find way to break this virus eventually.

They'll want it to be further tested for decades first, just in case it makes their arms suddenly fall off 50 years from now.

Call the captain we got a Karen here ! 

It’s wrong on so many levels . Apart from her getting the boot off the flight ✈️ 

Bravo to the patient airline staff “ he’s not vaccinated !!!!!  Crackers 

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s wrong on so many levels . Apart from her getting the boot off the flight ✈️ 

Incredible patience and restraint!

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That moment when she realises she's not the hero in this story

41 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That looks fake. 

49 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

That looks fake. 

44 minutes ago, Beni said:

That's what I thought.

Strong low budget soap opera vibe.

A few people have said that but apparently it’s not 

On 03/11/2021 at 16:14, JamesM48 said:

She must have a book to plug ? In actual fact she does ! Chief mammy nappy wearer strikes again . Never rains but it pours as far as she is concerned . Must be a right laugh on a night out 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/huge-cop26-queues-really-concerning-22051261?fbclid=IwAR0vjSzl180_5ygNqhH0-Od5UxqlCUIuKPLHyRBDf6c9PEzZK7FxiEd_OLY

Oct 22 (Guardian article on German restrictions): "It’s not surprising, then, that Germany is managing to control its Covid epidemic and bring down the numbers of cases and deaths. England (and the UK) by contrast is seeing a sharp rise in cases."

Today, according to Reuters: "COVID-19 infections are increasing in Germany, with 20,560 new infections reported on average each day. That’s 80% of the peak — the highest daily average reported on December 21." Deaths are on the rise as well.

Now, this is not a personal attack on her but it shows that even a scientist who has all the data in front of them is still only able to make broad claims and sometimes just guess. The difference between a scientist and a politician is that she does not have to make decisions based on her findings that affect thousands/millions of people ("oh sorry about the extra 50k deaths but that's what the data told me") 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

("oh sorry about the extra 50k deaths but that's what the data told me") 

Was it empirical data or just their computer modelling though? 

29 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was it empirical data or just their computer modelling though? 

Tracy off Facebook said it :cool:

Scottish numbers: 5 November 2021

Summary

• 2,389 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-434]
  • 30,341 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [-13,308]
    • 8.3% of these were positive [+1.1%]
  • 25 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-8]
  • 59 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-4]
  • 841 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-55]
  • 4,319,877 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,912,518 have received their second dose [+1,087; +1,413]

The latest trend stats:

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     3 Nov 2 Nov 1 Nov 31 Oct 30 Oct ... 1 Oct
Deaths     18 18 0   16 17 16 16 16 ... 19

All Vaccinations     2136 N/A N/A   3300 3365 3345 3836 4017 ... 6572
1st Dose     819 N/A N/A   1490 1491 1487 1717 1917 ... 3705
2nd Dose     1317 N/A N/A   1810 1874 1858 2119 2100 ... 2867

All in hospital     911 923 -12   927 926 924 920 914 ... 1009
Non-ICU     847 859 -12   864 864 862 860 855 ... 935
ICU     64 64 0   63 62 62 60 59 ... 74

The Real Maroonblood
43 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest trend stats:

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     3 Nov 2 Nov 1 Nov 31 Oct 30 Oct ... 1 Oct
Deaths     18 18 0   16 17 16 16 16 ... 19

All Vaccinations     2136 N/A N/A   3300 3365 3345 3836 4017 ... 6572
1st Dose     819 N/A N/A   1490 1491 1487 1717 1917 ... 3705
2nd Dose     1317 N/A N/A   1810 1874 1858 2119 2100 ... 2867

All in hospital     911 923 -12   927 926 924 920 914 ... 1009
Non-ICU     847 859 -12   864 864 862 860 855 ... 935
ICU     64 64 0   63 62 62 60 59 ... 74

👍🍺

Nucky Thompson
50 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Red am I correct in saying the figures are in a gradual decline? 

It's a sizable decline in people who are in hospital. 

Elderly relative was left standing in a queue for over 2 hours at Ingliston vaccine centre today.  Sounds like the place is a complete shambles with hundreds of people turning up and 6 people vaccinating.  People with appointments and drop-ins all lumped into the one queue.

Someone is going to get a blow torched ear if I can get a hold of the relevant person.  MSP is going to have a job on his hands anaw.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Red am I correct in saying the figures are in a gradual decline? 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's a sizable decline in people who are in hospital. 

Hospitalisations, yes. As Nucky points out, that was a very good decrease in hospital numbers today, although I'm always hesitant to herald decreases in hospitalisations given the fact that there is more than one way of leaving hospital. Cases difficult to tell due to the data issues, but generally they have increased over the last few days, but not alarmingly so. We're more or less on the case plateau we have been on for over a month. ICUs appear to be peaking. Vaccinations definitely declining, but we're running out of people to vaccinate and onto boosters now. Deaths have more or less plateaued for a while, undulating up and down between 16 and 20 a day on average for a month or so.

Sorry I can't be more precise. The recent data issues have made a bit of a mess of the data.

I am at ingliston now getting my booster and flu vaccine and it’s rammed. Which is good to see. Bit of a wait now I suppose but we’ll worth it. 

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I am at ingliston now getting my booster and flu vaccine and it’s rammed. Which is good to see. Bit of a wait now I suppose but we’ll worth it. 

I'm due there next Friday evening about now.

Fxxx the SPFL
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Monday for me and the wife 4pm

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There are hundred here just now. It’s moving albeit slowly they said it’s about an hour and a half from arriving to getting the jabs. There’s plenty booths but I don’t think they are all staffed. 

lost in leith
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Elderly relative was left standing in a queue for over 2 hours at Ingliston vaccine centre today.  Sounds like the place is a complete shambles with hundreds of people turning up and 6 people vaccinating.  People with appointments and drop-ins all lumped into the one queue.

Someone is going to get a blow torched ear if I can get a hold of the relevant person.  MSP is going to have a job on his hands anaw.

Took 3 of my family (all over 85) there today. It is a shambles. 2.30 appointments, even in what was meant to be a fast lane for disabled they were well over an hour late.  I work as a volunteer at another clinic and we are told that there are no drop ins anywhere.  Giving up the EICC seems to be the main root cause of this mess.  Phases 1 and 2 were as good as the could have been IMHO but the booster programme is very poor in Edinburgh.  

32 minutes ago, lost in leith said:

Took 3 of my family (all over 85) there today. It is a shambles. 2.30 appointments, even in what was meant to be a fast lane for disabled they were well over an hour late.  I work as a volunteer at another clinic and we are told that there are no drop ins anywhere.  Giving up the EICC seems to be the main root cause of this mess.  Phases 1 and 2 were as good as the could have been IMHO but the booster programme is very poor in Edinburgh.  

Incredulous really if one considers there are queues of  vulnerable people . Recipe for possible transmission. Albeit slight. as i assume there is social distancing plus masks etc  but still concerning really. Even in terms of comfort etc for older / disabled people standing waiting etc. Awful. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, lost in leith said:

It sounds like an absolute shambles mate.

I know loads of elderly people who are refusing to go to Ingliston 

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What I can't understand is why they've stopped giving the flu jag at doctors surgeries (assuming reports are correct). Is Ingliston the only place to get your booster if you are in Edinburgh/Lothians? 

manaliveits105

No if you get Ingliston and you dont want it  I would suggest you go online and rearrange your appointment and you will get other options and dates - sometimes before your Ingliston date if you are lucky

vacs.nhs.scot  - your letter should have your unique user name if youve not registered before you can register 

Captain Sausage
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

To be fair to them, ****ing deal with it. 2 hours in the cold to get their jab so they don’t die of COVID seems like a bit of a no brainer. 

Sick of everyone moaning about how they’re being personally affected by having to get a free jab. Old people are most at risk. Get the ****ing jab (applies to everyone tbf). 

I’m beyond the point of feeling any pity for unvaccinated people who clog up our hospitals now. 

14 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Incredulous really if one considers there are queues of  vulnerable people . Recipe for possible transmission. Albeit slight. as i assume there is social distancing plus masks etc  but still concerning really. Even in terms of comfort etc for older / disabled people standing waiting etc. Awful. 

Great to see you championing the benefits of social distancing and masks in reducing the risk of transmission.

👍

6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Great to see you championing the benefits of social distancing and masks in reducing the risk of transmission.

👍

Yes in a situation like that. If it works at all.  WE are lead to believe that these precaution's work.   Great to see you are your usual self. 

Edited by JamesM48

56 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I’m beyond the point of feeling any pity for unvaccinated people who clog up our hospitals now. 

Not just our hospitals but all over Europe the same story is emerging.

I have seen on European news channels interviews with doctors from Germany, Poland, Romania & Bosnia all saying that the vast majority of people not only in hospital with covid but in ICU and dying are unvaccinated adults now, the doctor from Bosnia this morning was saying that yes they have elderly double vaccinated people in hospital with covid, however it's not covid that's their problem as they generally have only a mild infection, it's their other health issues which has put them in hospital, usually heart or lung problems.  He added that the only people whom he's seen in hospital bad with covid infection is unvaccinated people, and it's all easily avoidable he said by getting the vaccine.

A lot of the Balkan countries have only a 20%-30% fully vaccinated rate, little wonder they are seeing cases, hospitalisations and deaths rise day by day. 

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

To be fair to them, ****ing deal with it. 2 hours in the cold to get their jab so they don’t die of COVID seems like a bit of a no brainer. 

Sick of everyone moaning about how they’re being personally affected by having to get a free jab. Old people are most at risk. Get the ****ing jab (applies to everyone tbf). 

Sorry, but that's just not appreciating the needs of the elderly. My mother-in-law, 92, and still able to walk shortish distances and in good health for her age - could not stand for 2 hours. When I took her for her booster 2 weeks ago in our area, there was no queue and the kind nurse allowed me to park nearby so she could take her in for her booster/flu jags and then bring her back out to the car. Brilliant service and we were done and dusted in 15 minutes. 

We, as fit and able persons presumably, can wait out 2 hours but others cannot. It should not be this shambolic when there is an appointments system . Nor is it a good idea for lots of people to wait in a confined space given the circumstances.  

I certainly wouldn't blame the fantastic NHS for this - but those over-paid intermiediate managers and admin staff could do better in Edinburgh - if they are offering appointments plus drop-ins, they must know if they have the capacity? 

Scottish numbers: 6 November 2021

Summary

• 3,249 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+860]
  • 39,152 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [+8,811]
    • 8.7% of these were positive [+0.4%]
  • 24 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-1]
  • 55 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-4]
  • 823 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-18]
  • 4,321,350 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,914,397 have received their second dose [+1,473; +1,879]

Today's necessarily-limited trend stats. If there isn't a data issue then we should get some case and council figures tomorrow.

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     4 Nov 3 Nov 2 Nov 1 Nov 31 Oct ... 1 Oct
Deaths     18 18 0   18 16 17 16 16 ... 19

All in hospital     895 911 -16   923 927 926 924 920 ... 1009
Non-ICU     833 847 -14   859 864 864 862 860 ... 935
ICU     62 64 -2   64 63 62 62 60 ... 74

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Sorry, but that's just not appreciating the needs of the elderly. My mother-in-law, 92, and still able to walk shortish distances and in good health for her age - could not stand for 2 hours. When I took her for her booster 2 weeks ago in our area, there was no queue and the kind nurse allowed me to park nearby so she could take her in for her booster/flu jags and then bring her back out to the car. Brilliant service and we were done and dusted in 15 minutes. 

We, as fit and able persons presumably, can wait out 2 hours but others cannot. It should not be this shambolic when there is an appointments system . Nor is it a good idea for lots of people to wait in a confined space given the circumstances.  

I certainly wouldn't blame the fantastic NHS for this - but those over-paid intermiediate managers and admin staff could do better in Edinburgh - if they are offering appointments plus drop-ins, they must know if they have the capacity? 

I may sound like a Daily Mail reader, but it's about time that administration and management were treated more seriously as something you spend years training for and learning how to do well rather than something you just slide into.

Footballfirst
5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The simple solution is two queues, one for fixed appointments and the other for drop-ins, with priority given to those with appointments, or have dedicated vaccination stations for each queue.

Anytime there is no-one in the appointment queue you take someone from the drop-in queue.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Today's necessarily-limited trend stats. If there isn't a data issue then we should get some case and council figures tomorrow.

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     4 Nov 3 Nov 2 Nov 1 Nov 31 Oct ... 1 Oct
Deaths     18 18 0   18 16 17 16 16 ... 19

All in hospital     895 911 -16   923 927 926 924 920 ... 1009
Non-ICU     833 847 -14   859 864 864 862 860 ... 935
ICU     62 64 -2   64 63 62 62 60 ... 74

👍

Cases appear to be plummeting UK wide. Along with the new world leading treatments  available, it's all looking positive. I doubt anyone knows for sure whether flu will reappear so I think we're in a good place heading into winter. 

How liberating it is to stand at a bar, or sit in a restaurant without obsessing about Covid.

47 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Cases appear to be plummeting UK wide. Along with the new world leading treatments  available, it's all looking positive. I doubt anyone knows for sure whether flu will reappear so I think we're in a good place heading into winter. 

How liberating it is to stand at a bar, or sit in a restaurant without obsessing about Covid.

Very true Enzo . Currently in “ Dickens” and it was packed when we first came In. . Strange to get used to if now . The beer is flowing now before we hit the high spots up town 😂😂 great to see normality again👍👍

B214BD2F-7B2F-486C-A806-7FD270F747FD.gif

Edited by JamesM48

24 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Very true Enzo . Currently in “ Dickens” and it was packed when we first came In. . Strange to get used to if now . The beer is flowing now before we hit the high spots up town 😂😂 great to see normality again👍👍

B214BD2F-7B2F-486C-A806-7FD270F747FD.gif

One of my favourite pre and post-game haunts. Underrated 🍺👍🏻

15 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

One of my favourite pre and post-game haunts. Underrated 🍺👍🏻

I like it . Not at all pretentious . Now heading into town 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic