Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

See my edit, where did the UK come from? I'm merely saying Vanuatu are the best as they have 1 death and in comparison NZ is rubbish and needs to take a look at itself.

The UK is a whole different kettle of fish...that I didn't mention.

27x worse :(

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree but it's the "kept their population alive" statement that, like all things Covid stats is disingenuous. 

"Their" population were dying of other causes just as ours were.  How many in NZ died as a result of lockdown, loneliness, isolation etc etc?

Fewer than previous years.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.25.21259556v1.full

Results NZ had the lowest cumulative COVID-19 death rate in the OECD at 242 times lower than the 38-OECD-country average: 5·2 vs 1256 per million population. When considering “excess deaths”, NZ had the largest negative value in the OECD, equivalent to around 2000 fewer deaths than expected. When considering the average GDP change over the five quarters of 2020 to 2021-Q1, NZ was the sixth best performer (at 0·5% vs -0·3% for the OECD average)

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

See my edit, where did the UK come from? I'm merely saying Vanuatu are the best as they have 1 death and in comparison NZ is rubbish and needs to take a look at itself.

The UK is a whole different kettle of fish...that I didn't mention.

I came into the conversation because of someone saying Who's to say if NZ was right compared to Sweden's more libertarian approach. In my opinion, yes they clearly were.

The UK was brought up in an attempt at levity, they don't all land. You said Vanuatu was in proximity to NZ, I was just saying we're closer to africa than Vanuata is to NZ if we're talking proximity.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Obviously gutted to hear that mate - coincidentally ur interest seemed to wane when your deflection had been thoroughly exposed and you had no where else to go other than - I’m not playing anymore - which is almost what you said :lol:

I notice in recent post when taffin quoted a country with a better covid deaths figure you’ve added some context rather than just go with the raw data - that’s a step in the right direction in rising the quality of the debate so our exchange has not been totally fruitless 😃

Oh no, that's not what happened. I just can't be arsed with you. Taffin I quite like.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

What a pile of pretentious claptrap. Look at me, I know some big words😂😂

Thanks for your feedback mate - I always look out for the content of your posts as you can imagine

theres a penalty kick of a reply to that pile of clap trap (or so it could be perceived)  - you could have gone down that route and raised the quality of the debate or even done both - slagged the poster and challenged the content like an adult :) 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Well the 130,000 or so certainly aren't living now. 

But they would have died anyway wibble 

That's the crux.  Those not currently living,  in the biological sense,  are somewhat at a disadvantage when it comes to future quality of life.  

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Thanks for your feedback mate - I always look out for the content of your posts as you can imagine

theres a penalty kick of a reply to that pile of clap trap (or so it could be perceived)  - you could have gone down that route and raised the quality of the debate or even done both - slagged the poster and challenged the content like an adult :) 

He’s like that all the time mate . Very abrasive and mean . At least with of the other ^^^^ on this who have opposing views they are fairly respectful or when they throw shade it’s actually quite funny or witty ! Sure Makes me laugh at times .it’s not their intention but it really does .  Whereas he seems an angry ex Pat living off the fat o the land in Turkey . Maybe he hasn’t had his “ traditional Scottish beakfsst ( sic) yet. ? Or his pint of lager 🍺 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
15 minutes ago, Beni said:

Fewer than previous years.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.25.21259556v1.full

Results NZ had the lowest cumulative COVID-19 death rate in the OECD at 242 times lower than the 38-OECD-country average: 5·2 vs 1256 per million population. When considering “excess deaths”, NZ had the largest negative value in the OECD, equivalent to around 2000 fewer deaths than expected. When considering the average GDP change over the five quarters of 2020 to 2021-Q1, NZ was the sixth best performer (at 0·5% vs -0·3% for the OECD average)

well done mate - that’s the penalty kick - as I’ve not given a right or wrong view then the actual answers don’t fundamentally affect my discussion points - we’ve now brought excess deaths into it which appear to be good - level of debate raised

few other things could be considered and those days of ‘just because’ and ‘I’m not playing anymore’ can be banished from this one

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

well done mate - that’s the penalty kick - as I’ve not given a right or wrong view then the actual answers don’t fundamentally affect my discussion points - we’ve now brought excess deaths into it which appear to be good - level of debate raised

few other things could be considered and those days of ‘just because’ and ‘I’m not playing anymore’ can be banished from this one

Sorry I've not been following closely enough to know what your discussion points are.

Do you realise my reply was to someone else?

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

You're the guy in the pub that won't STFU and leave you alone, you're Chris Finch debating the quiz answers.

1 minute ago, Beni said:

Sorry I've not been following closely enough to know what your discussion points are.

Ah shit you've engaged him, good luck.

24 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I came into the conversation because of someone saying Who's to say if NZ was right compared to Sweden's more libertarian approach. In my opinion, yes they clearly were.

The UK was brought up in an attempt at levity, they don't all land. You said Vanuatu was in proximity to NZ, I was just saying we're closer to africa than Vanuata is to NZ if we're talking proximity.

I get you now. I probably did miss your humour...but I also just completely misread it and didn't noticed you'd said UK, apologies.

In the context of comparing NZ to UK/Sweden then I'd say Vanuatu is in proximity to NZ...but yes if comparing Africa and the UK then it becomes a bit more esoteric and proximity may be a push 😂

Anyway, enough context, I'm not here for a bun fight today...just to declare Vanuatu as the rightful kings of Covid. It does show NZ in a bad light in comparison (NZ really should have followed their approach) but I'm not here to sling mud at poor performers...only to celebrate those who've done well.

Edited by Taffin

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You're the guy in the pub that won't STFU and leave you alone, you're Chris Finch debating the quiz answers.

im not playing anymore to I don’t like you to further attempts to slag me off

you’ve had a sore one here I can see that mate - and to think it was you who replied to my post in the first place

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 minutes ago, Beni said:

Yeah sorry mate - I assumed it was ok to quote posts as part of a forum discussion - apologies for the intrusion ✌️

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Yeah sorry mate - I assumed it was ok to quote posts as part of a forum discussion - apologies for the intrusion ✌️

I'm picking up a smidge of sarcasm from your post.

But it isn't obvious to me what my post in reply to Enzo has to do with penalty kicks or whether you're right or wrong.

My loss no doubt.

35 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

27x worse :(

Yes, that was negative of me to put it like that in fairness. I should have said Vanuatu are 27x better.

Also, according to the UK government website...whilst there is a state of emergency in Vanuatu until 31st Dec 2021:

'There are no restrictions in place on social gatherings. Restaurants, bars and supermarkets are permitted to open as usual, although some are operating a restricted service'

Maybe the best of both worlds can be achieved afterall.

45 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

People in New Zealand not living: 00161d1b-1600.jpg

That all the thousands of Aussies left stateless by their Govt, partying on the other side of the world?

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That all the thousands of Aussies left stateless by their Govt, partying on the other side of the world?

No that's people in New Zealand living their lives (but not really living) while the rest of the world was in and out of lockdown.

Unknown user
23 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

im not playing anymore to I don’t like you to further attempts to slag me off

you’ve had a sore one here I can see that mate - and to think it was you who replied to my post in the first place

If you insist bud, now away and turn someone else off

4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree but it's the "kept their population alive" statement that, like all things Covid stats is disingenuous. 

"Their" population were dying of other causes just as ours were.  How many in NZ died as a result of lockdown, loneliness, isolation etc etc?

No-one every asks elderly people whether they wanted to be "kept alive" or whether they wanted to live their lives and take their chances. Any that I spoke to were very much in favour of the latter.

The UK death rate, to contextualise the red-top headline figures, in 2020 was lower than it was right through the 1990s and up to 2003. 

Not defending the UK, or any other country's approach, but adding a dose of context which was sadly missing from an 18 month campaign of , in many ways, sensationalism and scaremongering. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32647-7/fulltext

Across weeks 13–42 (ie, during and after lockdown), the mean weekly death rate was 11% lower than in 2015–19

There's your context.  

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Vanuatu is the winner for me. 1 death. NZ could learn a lot from that.

Nah. there are better performers than Vanuatu.

Greenland, Macau, Falkland Islands, St Helena are among those with 0 recorded deaths. 🥇 

22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Nah. there are better performers than Vanuatu.

Greenland, Macau, Falkland Islands, St Helena are among those with 0 recorded deaths. 🥇 

Big claim FF, but I'm sticking with Vanuatu. I'm suspicious of places with zero...suggests some kind of shenanigans!

Anyway, I hope Vanuatu chat and the like lightened the mood for some...it was only every intended as a but of mid-week fun 👍

But seriously...all hail President Obed Moses!

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Big claim FF, but I'm sticking with Vanuatu. I'm suspicious of places with zero...suggests some kind of shenanigans!

Anyway, I hope Vanuatu chat and the like lightened the mood for some...it was only every intended as a but of mid-week fun 👍

But seriously...all hail President Obed Moses!

Moses is an arsehole, Albi's your man

9c7ebad82327ffa5e98fffe06be95569.jpg

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

😀😀  he's now got another poster to impress with his debating skill. I'm sure he thinks he's making some very important points but, in reality, it's just a load of words that mean absolutely nothing

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

No that's people in New Zealand living their lives (but not really living) while the rest of the world was in and out of lockdown.

Well NZ certainly know a thing or 2 about being in and out of lockdowns. 

I did wonder while lying on a Spanish beach last week whether I wished the UK had closed ourselves off from the rest of the world for 18mths.🤔.

Thankfully there were no totalitarian scenes of soldiers patrolling the streets in the UK and people being welded to their houses.

We didn't get it all right but we seemed to have lifted the restrictions right on the sweet spot and are more or less back to normal now.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I did wonder while lying on a Spanish beach last week whether I wished the UK had closed ourselves off from the rest of the world for 18mths.🤔.

Thankfully there were no totalitarian scenes of soldiers patrolling the streets in the UK and people being welded to their houses.

We didn't get it all right but we seemed to have lifted the restrictions right on the sweet spot and are more or less back to normal now.

Yeah, you certainly didn't mind the lockdowns and restrictions here in the UK at all. You didn't have a peep to say about them, did you? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Moses is an arsehole, Albi's your man

9c7ebad82327ffa5e98fffe06be95569.jpg

Well, I didn't wake up expecting to read about how Prince Phillip is revered on a Vanuatu island, but I have...and I've only got myself to blame 😂😂

Interesting stuff though!

27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well, you were 10 times safer lying on that beach than cutting about the UK, Enzo !

Who’s getting it right is debatable !

Edited by Boab

19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah, you certainly didn't mind the lockdowns and restrictions here in the UK at all. You didn't have a peep to say about them, did you? :lol: 

It's unreal eh? More faces than a princess cut diamond. 

Unknown user
35 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Well, I didn't wake up expecting to read about how Prince Phillip is revered on a Vanuatu island, but I have...and I've only got myself to blame 😂😂

Interesting stuff though!

Did you not watch Tribe? Some English dude went and lived with them, then on the follow up they came to the UK and stayed with working class, middle class and upper class families.

Albi was the happiest man in the village and IIRC they met auld Phil too

It was Meet the Natives not Tribe.

Karl Pilkington visited too, did his head in.

Edited by Smithee

30 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Did you not watch Tribe? Some English dude went and lived with them, then on the follow up they came to the UK and stayed with working class, middle class and upper class families.

:lol: 

Scottish numbers: 6 October 2021

Summary

• 3,055 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+999; up from 2,997 a week ago]
  • 46,892 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [+25,534]
    • 6.9% of these were positive [-3.4%]
  • 34 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+13]
  • 68 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+3]
  • 988 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-10]
  • 4,229,178 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,852,067 have received their second dose [+5,459; +2,411]

Good rate but cases up.  Total tests reported is bouncing around for some reason.  The +%rate is bouncing about a bit as well.  

The latest trend stats.

7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area WHO   Today Yesterday     4 Oct 3 Oct 2 Oct 1 Oct 30 Sep ... 1 Sep
Scotland 4   312 311 +1   316 322 331 345 363 ... 747

West Lothian 4   483 469 +14   467 479 489 504 527 ... 668
North Lanarkshire 4   418 414 +4   433 432 434 442 462 ... 1261
Dundee City 4   391 396 -5   402 407 407 427 469 ... 697
Falkirk 4   391 395 -4   411 415 409 421 432 ... 690
East Ayrshire 4   388 395 -7   387 388 404 440 510 ... 627
East Dunbartonshire 4   368 377 -9   367 365 383 382 375 ... 1150
South Lanarkshire 4   364 358 +6   358 364 378 382 398 ... 1013
Aberdeenshire 4   361 331 +30   335 330 336 339 347 ... 424
Stirling 4   360 361 -1   328 327 338 366 377 ... 628
East Renfrewshire 4   354 341 +13   338 332 335 354 373 ... 1080
North Ayrshire 4   346 353 -7   384 409 428 441 459 ... 772
Fife 4   345 353 -8   363 375 386 407 435 ... 597
West Dunbartonshire 4   343 349 -6   353 369 393 437 453 ... 1105
Moray 4   340 308 +32   295 260 250 231 226 ... 183
South Ayrshire 4   317 334 -17   399 430 467 541 572 ... 658
Renfrewshire 4   313 314 -1   327 331 341 371 393 ... 1041
Dumfries & Galloway 4   309 324 -15   328 328 351 361 370 ... 620
Glasgow City 4   297 304 -7   302 303 312 328 347 ... 989
Aberdeen City 4   285 270 +15   266 266 284 292 288 ... 414
Scottish Borders 4   275 240 +35   225 215 200 188 216 ... 430
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4   272 309 -37   321 317 260 234 234 ... 170
Midlothian 4   266 286 -20   298 294 312 327 369 ... 754
Clackmannanshire 4   261 283 -22   292 281 300 328 365 ... 704
Argyll & Bute 4   258 256 +2   261 280 283 304 298 ... 712
Perth & Kinross 4   258 251 +7   253 276 280 304 334 ... 297
Inverclyde 4   240 279 -39   308 328 345 365 379 ... 1238
East Lothian 4 214 214 231 -17   228 244 252 265 272 ... 604
Angus 4   205 191 +14   192 207 220 234 259 ... 430
Edinburgh City 4   196 194 +2   208 218 231 238 255 ... 722
Highland 4   171 167 +4   175 168 170 168 169 ... 531
Shetland Islands 3   140 118 +22   105 83 74 70 57 ... 262
Orkney Islands 2   49 58 -9   58 49 49 85 85 ... 67

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     4 Oct 3 Oct 2 Oct 1 Oct 30 Sep ... 1 Sep
Tests     34478 33830 +648   34194 34707 34990 35457 36268 ... 46368
Cases     2433 2425 +8   2469 2514 2587 2694 2833 ... 5832
Positivity rate %     7.6 7.7 -0.1   7.8 7.8 8.0 8.2 8.4 ... 13.3
Deaths     20 19 +1   19 19 19 19 21 ... 6

All Vaccinations     8498 8043 +455   7651 7112 6583 6572 6130 ... 15364
1st Dose     6062 5592 +470   5189 4531 3879 3705 3378 ... 2844
2nd Dose     2436 2451 -15   2462 2581 2704 2867 2752 ... 12520

All in hospital     985 990 -5   995 997 1003 1009 1013 ... 524
Non-ICU     917 922 -5   925 926 931 935 937 ... 473
ICU     68 68 0   70 71 72 74 76 ... 51
Edited by redjambo

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

It was vaguely familiar to me and seeing your edit and Ray's post below, I think I've seen the episode with Karl Pilkington 😂

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The latest trend stats.

7-day per-100,000 cases                

👍

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

The latest trend stats.

7-day per-100,000 cases                

Seeing waves of infections in my region (Scottish Borders), 430 1st September then down to 188 1st October and now up to 275.

I haven't been paying attention to other area's, but it wouldn't surprise me to see similar elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seeing waves of infections in my region (Scottish Borders), 430 1st September then down to 188 1st October and now up to 275.

I haven't been paying attention to other area's, but it wouldn't surprise me to see similar elsewhere.

The North East is seeing a bit of a wave too going on today's data. These waves are to be expected, but I'd prefer to see the base case rate dropping further before we hit a plateau. Some areas, on the other hand, are recovering very well.

I wonder if the the anti Vaxxers will protest against the very welcome Malaria vaccine that is being rolled out across Africa and is saving thousands of lives. 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I wonder if the the anti Vaxxers will protest against the very welcome Malaria vaccine that is being rolled out across Africa and is saving thousands of lives. 

Did they ask to be saved? 

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

Doubtful, but if they role it out here and make passports for it then I might.

Unknown user
31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Doubtful, but if they role it out here and make passports for it then I might.

I'm doing **** all without an 18 month campaign of sensationalism and scaremongering, I know my rights

2 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Can they still die of malaria after they've had the vaccine?

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

Can they still die of malaria after they've had the vaccine?

Probably, because no vaccine is 100% effective 

41 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm doing **** all without an 18 month campaign of sensationalism and scaremongering, I know my rights

😂😂

I've decided I quite enjoy opposing things, once Covid dies away I'll need to find a new thing. I reckon I might choose electric cars and become a proponent for Hydrogen fuel instead.

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I do everything 110% so I expect my vaccines to do the same. As such, I'll pass on the malaria vaccine thanks.

If it won't put in the effort, why should I?

Edited by Taffin

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

And you can still die of COVID after having the vaccine?

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I do everything 110% so I expect my vaccines to do the same. As such, I'll pass on the malaria vaccine thanks.

If it won't put in the effort, why should I?

It's 77% effective at stopping children getting malaria. Not too shabby 

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Gordon Zola said:

Yes, because the vaccine is not 100% effective.

It's over 90% at stopping serious illness and death

2 minutes ago, Gordon Zola said:

If you’re really unlucky yes. But the vaccine significantly improves your odds 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic