Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

frankblack
22 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks. So the scientific evidence amounts to saying transmission by walking past someone on the street is not impossible.

And there is not a single proven case of this happening.

Yet I still see people recoiling in fear as I walk past them if I don't have a mask on. Or even if I do. The evidence of psychological damage seems clear enough.

It says they don't have enough data on people that stand beside you in queues, or at pedestrian crossings etc.  The reason they don't have enough data is that I'd imagine its damn near impossible to collate it.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It says they don't have enough data on people that stand beside you in queues, or at pedestrian crossings etc.  The reason they don't have enough data is that I'd imagine its damn near impossible to collate it.

So as I said no evidence.

Scientific or otherwise.

Maybe if something is "not impossible" we should arrange our lives accordingly. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Come on Frank. You were moaning about hospitality being shut and now it turns out that you won't cross the road without wearing a mask :biggrin2:

It's impossible to establish the extent of or the risk of that kind of cause of transmission.  By it's very nature it involves no feasible contact trail.  At the same time it's not necessary to prove the existence of risk of transmission via virus particles being inhaled from a momentary proximity to an infected person.  It's the kind of thing that falls into the category of things that can be known and accepted without absolute proof.  The risk is probably so miniscule that it becomes practically negligible and not worth trying to investigate.

Conclusion:  It's a complete waste of time arguing about it.  

Malinga the Swinga

Do we vaccinate our own younger population first or do we send vaccinations abroad to other countries first?

Personally speaking, I would look after our own first, while someone like Linda Bauld believes we should be more outward looking.

maroondevo52

I was in Asda at the Jewel today and was pleasantly surprised by the number of people wearing masks.

Enzo Chiefo
39 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Or damn near impossible to catch it.

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Do we vaccinate our own younger population first or do we send vaccinations abroad to other countries first?

Personally speaking, I would look after our own first, while someone like Linda Bauld believes we should be more outward looking.

Never trust a Professor who always matches her tops with the colour of the flowers in the vase behind her.👍

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Never trust a Professor who always matches her tops with the colour of the flowers in the vase behind her.👍

Why?

frankblack
32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Or damn near impossible to catch it.

Tell me - how would you draw conclusions on how and where someone caught covid from outside?

These will simply fall into the "community infections" bucket where they cannot trace the source.

Francis Albert
50 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Tell me - how would you draw conclusions on how and where someone caught covid from outside?

These will simply fall into the "community infections" bucket where they cannot trace the source.

So again no evidence scientific or otherwise that anyone caught Covid from passing anyone on the street.

Enzo Chiefo
50 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Have you not noticed that no-one socially distances outside nor inside, for that matter, nowadays? Millions of people pass each other, stand next to each other, sit on buses together,  hover in supermarkets,  share tables in pubs, etc etc. Yet only a few thousand "cases" emerge each day. And they call it transmissible.  Half the country are double jabbed...time to put the fear to one side. 

frankblack
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Have you not noticed that no-one socially distances outside nor inside, for that matter, nowadays? Millions of people pass each other, stand next to each other, sit on buses together,  hover in supermarkets,  share tables in pubs, etc etc. Yet only a few thousand "cases" emerge each day. And they call it transmissible.  Half the country are double jabbed...time to put the fear to one side. 

I repeat that you can't educate stupid people.

Have you taken a look at the recent stats?  Edinburgh is heading back to T3.

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Case numbers will not send Edinburgh back to T3. Why would they? The hospitals are empty of Covid patients and with Freedom Day in England on the horizon,  Sturgeon's feet wouldn't touch the ground if she tried to move Edin to T3 on a whim.

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Have to laugh at the reports re the Indian variant/Delta strain.

The new approved form of doublethink is 'the Delta variant first seen in India'.

As far as awkward rebranding goes, this guy would approve.

prince.png

🤣

the variant formerly known as Indian

(or April02 in some dictatorships)

(and B1617 by some dentists)

frankblack
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Case numbers will not send Edinburgh back to T3. Why would they? The hospitals are empty of Covid patients and with Freedom Day in England on the horizon,  Sturgeon's feet wouldn't touch the ground if she tried to move Edin to T3 on a whim.

As long as Sturgeon has the powers to close businesses she has demonstrated she will use them.

Hospitality shutting just in time for the Euros while fan zones operate in Glasgow? 🤔

Nucky Thompson
7 hours ago, frankblack said:

The link between infections and hospitalisations and deaths is broken.

We won't go back the way, but we won't go forward either for a while

The tier system should be scrapped ASAP

Fitzroy Pointon
5 hours ago, frankblack said:

As long as Sturgeon has the powers to close businesses she has demonstrated she will use them.

Hospitality shutting just in time for the Euros while fan zones operate in Glasgow? 🤔

Professor If I Was Chocolate has said that the fan zones are now in doubt so I wouldn't be too sure of that. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:spoton:

frankblack
10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

2nd jag on wednesday.

Snap, although got to go to GP for minor issue that may scupper it if I get antibiotics!

frankblack
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I do agree on the tier system part.  Just managed to book tables for the Czech and England games in boozers at the weekend - it was a nightmare finding places not fully booked.

10 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Freedom Day is likely to be pushed back. I look forward to your berating of BoJo. 

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Hospitalisations have doubled in the last month. Still at a low number but worth keeping a close eye on for the next few weeks. 

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Freedom Day is likely to be pushed back. I look forward to your berating of BoJo. 

Bojo and WJK should both face criminal charges for their handling of this.

Francis Albert
12 hours ago, frankblack said:

I not only tried but succeeded in reading it. In terms of "science" all it tells me it is not impossible that I could catch or transmit the virus outdoors when passing someone in the street. Although the example she gives of outdoors transmission  involves shouting and singing. If I pass someone walking down the street doing either, catching Covid would be the least of my concerns.

But her attempt at gaining street cred by describing people attending sporting events as "punters" amused me, so thanks for that.

Edited by Francis Albert

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

It may be diluted or delayed slightly but Freedom Day is, as the name suggests, an end to all legal restrictions.  It's several steps ahead of where Scotland is right now. Even at Level 0 there is no plan for clubs reopening, for example. 

I suspect though that Sturgeon will be dragged along, like an unsteady,  unsure water skier, behind Boris's speedboat towards our own MacFreedom Day.

14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I not only tried but succeeded in reading it. In terms of "science" all it tells me it is not impossible that I could catch or transmit the virus outdoors when passing someone in the street. Although the example she gives of outdoors transmission  involves shouting and singing. If I pass someone walking down the street doing either, catching Covid would be the least of my concerns.

But her attempt at gaining street cred by describing people attending sporting events as "punters" amused me, so thanks for that.

There's a link to a scientific study here.
Suggests that airborne transmission of covid is significantly lower outdoors.
If you are going about normally outdoors then no real need for a mask. I only tend to wear outdoors if say queuing at a counter for coffee.
Unless I was in close contact with someone and they were smoking/vaping then I wouldn't be too concerned about non mask wearing outdoors.

Indoors is different and whilst there is guidance, I think we will likely look back and regret not enforcing (with government support) better ventilation in indoor areas.

10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It may be diluted or delayed slightly but Freedom Day is, as the name suggests, an end to all legal restrictions.  It's several steps ahead of where Scotland is right now. Even at Level 0 there is no plan for clubs reopening, for example. 

I suspect though that Sturgeon will be dragged along, like an unsteady,  unsure water skier, behind Boris's speedboat towards our own MacFreedom Day.

I didn’t know clubs were still shut in level 0😱 

I’m well past clubbing age but that doesn’t look good for that industry plus younger people 

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, theshed said:

I’m well past clubbing age but that doesn’t look good for that industry plus younger people 

Haha. Yes, me too Shed. You're right though, that sector have no info about when they can open nor test events planned afaik. Not good for the young team who enjoy clubbing or, indeed, work there.

18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No danger will there be an end to all restrictions in England in the next few weeks 😂

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

No danger will there be an end to all restrictions in England in the next few weeks 😂

Possibly some measures like mask wearing on public transport may be retained but even a slightly watered down removal will be several steps ahead of Scotland. 

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Possibly some measures like mask wearing on public transport may be retained but even a slightly watered down removal will be several steps ahead of Scotland. 

At least you'll have something to blame the SNP for though, every cloud and all that

Unknown user
40 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

CU8xElg.gif

Governor Tarkin

Things felt a lot more 'normal' this weekend.

Out for dinner with the Mrs and nippers on Friday. A cracking day in the Pentland Hills on Saturday with an impromptu dinner and a few drinks with friends at the Flottersotne Inn afterwards, and a family BBQ yesterday.

One thing I did notice, plenty of groups of English and foreign types out in the hills. It finally felt like we're coming out of the other side.

Stewie Griffin
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Hospitalisations have doubled in the last month. Still at a low number but worth keeping a close eye on for the next few weeks. 

On the subject of hospitalisation my brother in law who’s in his mid 50’s and had both of his vaccination jags has been in hospital since the beginning of last week due to COVID and last night had to be put on a ventilator due to his condition getting worse. As far as I’m aware he didn’t have any underlying health problems either. 

10 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

On the subject of hospitalisation my brother in law who’s in his mid 50’s and had both of his vaccination jags has been in hospital since the beginning of last week due to COVID and last night had to be put on a ventilator due to his condition getting worse. As far as I’m aware he didn’t have any underlying health problems either. 

Best wishes, hope he pulls through OK. 

scott herbertson

Don't see the problem with the tier system - don't see why those living on the Scottish Islands, with just about no cases, should have to have the same restrictions as places on the mainland which have high levels, which is what would happen if there were no tiers.

scott herbertson
12 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

That's terrible. Hope he pulls through

Out of interest how long after his second jab do you think it was before he showed symptoms?

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Costanza said:

There's a link to a scientific study here.
Suggests that airborne transmission of covid is significantly lower outdoors.
If you are going about normally outdoors then no real need for a mask. I only tend to wear outdoors if say queuing at a counter for coffee.
Unless I was in close contact with someone and they were smoking/vaping then I wouldn't be too concerned about non mask wearing outdoors.

Indoors is different and whilst there is guidance, I think we will likely look back and regret not enforcing (with government support) better ventilation in indoor areas.

Thanks. Will have a look at that later. 

14 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

I hope he pulls through. 

The numbers are quite firmly showing hospitalisations dominated by the 25-44 (48 cases) and 45-64 (26 cases) age groups. 

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Graph is around 2/3 down the page. Will be updated on Wed so will be interesting to see the difference week on week. 

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Is there stats anywhere of hospitalisation of people who have and have not had a vaccine?

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, theshed said:

Some parts of glesag your never to old for a clubbing 

Stewie Griffin
24 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

That's terrible. Hope he pulls through

Out of interest how long after his second jab do you think it was before he showed symptoms?

It was around a week after his second jab ( AstraZeneca ). 

scott herbertson
5 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

It was around a week after his second jab ( AstraZeneca ). 

Thanks - bad luck for him.☹️

Governor Tarkin
47 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Hopefully he's on the mend soon, Stewie. 👍

manaliveits105
58 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

All the best to him 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic