4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

James is miles in front with 3906 posts, 1k more than Red then Vic

about

4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

James is miles in front with 3906 posts, 1k more than Red then Vic

that!

JudyJudyJudy
43 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Leitch perhaps constrained by public role but Bauld well placed for future publishing contracts and research funding on the basis of her ‘celebrity’.

Laughing all the way to the bank ! Whilst others on the  breadline 

33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Both will be on reality TV before too long

They already are ! It’s been like that the last 14 months 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

that!

😂😂😂😂😂😂

0176DA77-0C71-4FB1-AE24-D7F53AA0F40E.gif

Edited by JamesM48

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

They already are ! It’s been like that the last 14 months 

I'm a clinician get me on every medical programme going 

1 hour ago, Sow Easy said:

Or you could just wait in line for your letter or phone the helpline to check instead of trying to jump the queue using a form not meant for the purpose SOME cretins are using it for.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Or you could just wait in line for your letter or phone the helpline to check instead of trying to jump the queue using a form not meant for the purpose SOME cretins are using it for.

You don't jump the queue. Maybe find that out first before coming in like an arse. 

Edited by Sow Easy

7 hours ago, Sow Easy said:

You don't jump the queue. Maybe find that out first before coming in like an arse. 

You can if you say you're an unpaid care worker....don't need to provide any proof and you're in....know some people who have done that which I think is pretty poor.

18 minutes ago, Gards said:

You can if you say you're an unpaid care worker....don't need to provide any proof and you're in....know some people who have done that which I think is pretty poor.

Not sure if the move from online submission to telephoning up is helping but heard of someone got through the online process because 'they put their neighbour's bins out'

1 hour ago, Gards said:

I agree. A close friend of mine used this as an opportunity to get one early. Selfish and unnecessary IMO. He’s only 30.

2 hours ago, Gards said:

But that wasn’t what the link posted was about so it’s pretty irrelevant. It was for eligible people to check for an appointment if they haven’t received their letter. Judging the state of lothians missing letters carry on it was a good link for @Sow Easy to post. 

JudyJudyJudy

The article is behind a paywall but great news to cheer up a Tuesday 

EAF28B37-F6BF-4881-81AE-0FCB2D131477.jpeg

The Mighty Thor

Slight change in the narrative UK wide regarding the Indian variant. 

It's spreading now because people who can get vaccinated are not taking it up.

There you go. Here's me thinking it came into these islands because the Westminster government took 17 days to announce they were closing the borders to India a further 6 days later?

I saw a Daily Mail article about people at Heathrow complaining about having to queue next to people arriving from India.....yesterday! :interehjrling:

indianajones
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

There you go. Here's me thinking it came into these islands because the Westminster government took 17 days to announce they were closing the borders to India a further 6 days later?

I saw a Daily Mail article about people at Heathrow complaining about having to queue next to people arriving from India.....yesterday! :interehjrling:

Its unreal. They change their narrative every other day on this. 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

'Refuseniks' is the phrase of the day. Keep an eye out for it!

indianajones
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

'Refuseniks' is the phrase of the day. Keep an eye out for it!

Is there a running total on the number of 'refuseniks'? 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Is there a running total on the number of 'refuseniks'? 

Hat Mancock alluded to the larger percentage of those hospitalised with the Indian variant as having been eligible for the vaccine but had not taken it. He did give a number but i can't recall what it was.

* EDIT - Front page of the Daily Nazi "Now Vaccine Refuseniks Threaten Freedom"

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Allegedly only one person who has been hospitalised, with Indian variant, has been vaccinated. Whilst, that individual who was vaccinated was very advanced in years. 

Another poster commented on it but I can’t 100% remember who though. 

Seem to recall but I could be wrong, that there was 18 in hospital with the Indian variant all were eligible for a vaccine but none had taken it up, and there was one very frail person who had had both doses but still caught covid and were in hospital.

Jambo-Jimbo

Just had my second AZ/Oxford jab, just waiting for my Bruce Almighty God like powers to kick in now.  :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seem to recall but I could be wrong, that there was 18 in hospital with the Indian variant all were eligible for a vaccine but none had taken it up, and there was one very frail person who had had both doses but still caught covid and were in hospital.

According to https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/18-people-hospital-bolton-coronavirus-20608067, there were 18 people in Bolton in hospital with Covid of whom 12 had not been vaccinated at all, although they were eligible for one, 5 had only received one jab, and 1 frail person had received both jabs. Which shows perhaps that we should be steaming ahead in our efforts to double vaccinate as many people as possible and keeping a lid on the spread of the virus while we do so.

26 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just had my second AZ/Oxford jab, just waiting for my Bruce Almighty God like powers to kick in now.  :laugh:

Welcome, Magneto! ;)

a134_magnetic_real_life_superheroes_10_p

Jambo-Jimbo
15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

According to https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/18-people-hospital-bolton-coronavirus-20608067, there were 18 people in Bolton in hospital with Covid of whom 12 had not been vaccinated at all, although they were eligible for one, 5 had only received one jab, and 1 frail person had received both jabs. Which shows perhaps that we should be steaming ahead in our efforts to double vaccinate as many people as possible and keeping a lid on the spread of the virus while we do so.

Knew I'd heard the figure of 18 but couldn't recall exactly what the ins & outs were.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Welcome, Magneto! ;)

a134_magnetic_real_life_superheroes_10_p

:laugh:

13 minutes ago, professorfate said:

The sun are saying the pubs could be shutting down in Scotland.

Link or more details please.

Edit: Ah, got it. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/14989019/pubs-in-scotland-could-close-in-days-as-indian-variant-spreads/ Looks like conjecture to me.

Edited by redjambo

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh come on . ! Ofcourse this is the narrative going forward . The “ unvaccinated” will be the new whipping boy / scape goat used to “ encourage “ them to take the vaccine or they will be viewed as social pariahs and scum by the smug vaccinated mob ( some of them ) it’s the classic divide and conquer rule . No one should be forced into taking the vaccine . 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Allegedly only one person who has been hospitalised, with Indian variant, has been vaccinated. Whilst, that individual who was vaccinated was very advanced in years. 

Another poster commented on it but I can’t 100% remember who though. 

Yes it was an old woman 

Edited by JamesM48

The annoying thing is that the latest data (cases by reporting date) indicated that East Renfrewshire and Midlothian had sufficient cases to warrant being held in Tier 3 when the SG made their decision on Friday. But for some reason they did not pay attention to that data. They have to be able to react more quickly to emerging situations.

Edited by redjambo

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it was an old woman 

Yes, but see my link above. There were also 5 people hospitalised with Covid at the same time as her who had been given a single jab. And no, this is not me spreading panic stories, just setting the record straight.

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, professorfate said:

The sun are saying the pubs could be shutting down in Scotland.

This is a bloody nightmare really ! Let’s just accept reality and get rid of those ludicrous tiers ! Accept that cases sorry infections  will rise , but with the knowledge that the vaccine is doing the biz ! Hospital and deaths The only yardstick to measure things by . It was always anticipated that the lowering of the threshold was going to create absolute chaos ! The  current strategy is now bordering on abusive and insane . It’s playing havoc with people’s businesses and mental health . Unforgivable really . That’s it I’ll def be boozing this weekend ! 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

This is a bloody nightmare really ! Let’s just accept reality and get rid of those ludicrous tiers ! Accept that cases sorry infections  will rise , but with the knowledge that the vaccine is doing the biz ! Hospital and deaths The only yardstick to measure things by . It was always anticipated that the lowering of the threshold was going to create absolute chaos ! The  current strategy is now bordering on abusive and insane . It’s playing havoc with people’s businesses and mental health . Unforgivable really . That’s it I’ll def be boozing this weekend ! 

Opening and then shutting again would be an absolute shambles and those making that decision should tightly be ridiculed if it pans out that way.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yes, but see my link above. There were also 5 people hospitalised with Covid at the same time as her who had been given a single jab. And no, this is not me spreading panic stories, just setting the record straight.

Yes but it didn’t say ages etc of those in hospital irrespective of whether they had the vaccine or not ? I’m not panicking 

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No one should be forced into taking the vaccine .

Absolutely. And shaming folk perhaps isn't a great technique to get vaccine resistors to take it either. Encouragement is the key. Of course, if some companies start requiring vaccine passports then that might provide some motivation (to both the resistors and fake vaccine passport makers I would imagine).

Just now, redjambo said:

Absolutely. And shaming folk perhaps isn't a great technique to get vaccine resistors to take it either. Encouragement is the key. Of course, if some companies start requiring vaccine passports then that might provide some motivation (to both the resistors and fake vaccine passport makers I would imagine).

The pious shaming from folk like Andrew Lloyd Webber makes me want to resist the vaccine with every fiber of my being.

People like you, make me want to take it when my turn comes.

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I’m fine honest 😂

21D40DA8-BE7C-4BFD-9583-47164C565842.jpeg

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

It's under pressure from that vile ERG group no doubt.

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yes but it didn’t say ages etc of those in hospital irrespective of whether they had the vaccine or not ? I’m not panicking 

Good. :) I think the whole point is that we have to try and keep a lid on the virus until we can get as many of the at risk population as possible double vaccinated. It's great that the first dose is so protective (did someone mention 96% above?) but that still leaves 4%. If we let the virus spiral out of control with this Indian variant in play then our hospitals *will* start playing host once again to incoming Covid patients. So, we have to ca' canny and keep the virus under control while we're vaccinating, open up in stages as we have been doing, and be ready to blitz spikes (your favourite word) as they arise with testing, track and tracing, and vaccination. But to do that, the SG has to be fast and decisive. I'm sorry for reiterating my point above but the latest data clearly showed that East Renfrewshire and Midlothian most likely couldn't yet merit dropping to Tier 2, but the SG didn't act on that, now creating the situation where they may have to be moved back up a tier again after only a very short period. That's simply not good enough. Their decision-making has to be on point or situations like this will arise.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The pious shaming from folk like Andrew Lloyd Webber makes me want to resist the vaccine with every fiber of my being.

That is the same multi millionaire ^^^^ who flew thousands of miles from his home abroad to ensure that people with disabilities had £30 per week knocked off their benifits . That’s how scummy he is . He also composing complete and  utter pish ! I mean ALW not Red ! 😂

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

:D Completely understandable.

manaliveits105

You watch the news and see younger people getting jabbed all over England - the hotspot areas up here like the weeg - the Scottish Islands all 18 plus done whilst Edinburgh and elsewhere with lower cases-   30 plus year olds are weeks away from first jab it seems never mind 18-30s - bit disheartening for them and their parents 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Good. :) I think the whole point is that we have to try and keep a lid on the virus until we can get as many of the at risk population as possible double vaccinated. It's great that the first dose is so protective (did someone mention 96% above?) but that still leaves 4%. If we let the virus spiral out of control with this Indian variant in play then our hospitals *will* start playing host once again to incoming Covid patients. So, we have to ca' canny and keep the virus under control while we're vaccinating, open up in stages as we have been doing, and be ready to blitz spikes (your favourite word) as they arise with testing, track and tracing, and vaccination. But to do that, the SG has to be fast and decisive. I'm sorry for reiterating my point above but the latest data clearly showed that East Renfrewshire and Midlothian most likely couldn't yet merit dropping to Tier 2, but the SG didn't act on that, now creating the situation where they may have to be moved back up a tier again after only a very short period. That's simply not good enough. Their decision-making has to be on point or situations like this will arise.

So in theory really they should have just kept us in tiers 3 until all people had their second vaccine ? It’s the logical thing to do ? And if they had just been honest enough to admit this and do it least people would have had a clear end in site instead of up and down tiers likes a persons ( non specific gender 😂)  knickers and all the uncertainty , and upset that it costs ? 

Adam_the_legend
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think the problem is those conflating the “anti-vaxxers” with the vaccine hesitant. Nobody should (or could?) be forced to take the vaccine but shaming those who are anxious about taking it will backfire. 

On the plus side ALW seems to know definitively that the vaccine means you have no risk at all of contracting and spreading the virus.

He even has the nerve to say 'if we listen to the science.'

He should probably let the scientists know that then as they seem to still think you can contract and spread it but at a decreased level.

Rant over, but that old coot has really annoyed me 😂

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

On the plus side ALW seems to know definitively that the vaccine means you have no risk at all of contracting and spreading the virus.

He even has the nerve to say 'if we listen to the science.'

He should probably let the scientists know that then as they seem to still think you can contract and spread it but at a decreased level.

Rant over, but that old coot has really annoyed me 😂

He’s vile. A real life phantom of the opera 😂

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

You watch the news and see younger people getting jabbed all over England - the hotspot areas up here like the weeg - the Scottish Islands all 18 plus done whilst Edinburgh and elsewhere with lower cases-   30 plus year olds are weeks away from first jab it seems never mind 18-30s - bit disheartening for them and their parents 

Was a good mix of ages this morning at the vac centre in Peebles, there were by the looks of them several in the 18-30 age group.

I don't know their circumstances, care workers, underlying health conditions or whatever, I'm just saying there was a good mix of ages getting jabbed.

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So in theory really they should have just kept us in tiers 3 until all people had their second vaccine ? It’s the logical thing to do ? And if they had just been honest enough to admit this and do it least people would have had a clear end in site instead of up and down tiers likes a persons ( non specific gender 😂)  knickers and all the uncertainty , and upset that it costs ? 

Not at all. Many areas in Scotland are doing really well and could easily merit having been placed directly into Tier 1 (in addition to the islands councils that were, of course). It's going to take quite a while to achieve sufficient double vaccination - obviously for the economy and everyone's state of mind, there's no way we can or should stay in Tier 3 all that time if the case figures don't merit it.

The SG have to up their blitzing game, nice and simple. If they can do that in Midlothian, for example, without having to move Midlothian up a tier, then that would show that moving up a tier isn't necessarily needed when spikes like that occur. That would be most welcome.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The problem is and has been for 14 months that their idea of the word closing amounts to letting folk in as long as they stay in a hotel for ten days. Australia and NZ are almost back to normal, as much as folk would’ve moaned about properly closing off these islands it should’ve been done.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not at all. Many areas in Scotland are doing really well and could easily merit having been placed directly into Tier 1 (in addition to the islands councils that were, of course). It's going to take quite a while to achieve sufficient double vaccination - obviously for the economy and everyone's state of mind, there's no way we can or should stay in Tier 3 all that time if the case figures don't merit it.

The SG have to up their blitzing game, nice and simple. If they can do that in Midlothian, for example, without having to move Midlothian up a tier, then that would show that moving up a tier isn't necessarily needed when spikes like that occur. That would be most welcome.

👍

Stewie Griffin
28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Hi Red, from reading this thread you are obviously a lot more clued up than me about the stats for different areas and so on. I was just wondering if you knew if the current rise in cases in Midlothian is linked to the primary school in Penicuik ? Because if the vast majority of cases are from that one school then it seems harsh to move the whole of Midlothian to level 3. 

Scottish numbers: 18 May 2021

Summary

• 268 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+107; up from 238 a week ago]
  • 17,515 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [+6,154]
    • 1.7% of these were positive [+0.1%]
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [=]
  • 4 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+1]
  • 70 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+2]
  • 3,045,152 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,669,469 have received their second dose [+9,362; +30,933]

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic