Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Toxteth O'Grady
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

The theory is that the India variant may be out-competing other variants in general community circulation.  If it is then that almost certainly means it has higher transmissibility.  It might not be the explanation.  One less likely possibility is that it's rise is due to particular demographic distribution.  They don't know yet.  The much more likely possibility is that it is more transmissible but,  again,  they don't know how much more.  The 40% to 50% figures are clearly from some kind of worst case scenario suggestion,  which should be set aside until firmed up.  It could very well be that the concerns are unfounded due to other contributory factors.  Perhaps the figures are being influenced due to it's rise occurring from a very low base prevalence of any variants.

Could be that it is circulating among the Indian community who typically live in larger households and may have been mixing during Ramadan?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Could be that it is circulating among the Indian community who typically live in larger households and may have been mixing during Ramadan?

That comes under the thought about a particular demographic distribution.  Quite possibly,  if not now but initially.  Is it now in wider circulation?  That's what needs studied.  It might not be clearly out-competing the other prevalent strains but it will be known after the usual highly complex study of the test,  trace and contacts info.

Even if it is more transmissible the effects need not be that bad.  There shouldn't be much mortality but there could be high demand on the hospitals again.  A tiny percentage of an approximate 25 million people without vaccine protection will be susceptible to severe illness.  Also a small percentage of the vaccinated cohort who have been unlucky enough that their vaccine did not confer protection.

I'm on the fence but my layman's hunch is that this can be managed and wont ultimately delay the unlocking.

Fxxx the SPFL

lets just get on with life no extra hospitalisations in Moray increase in reported cases but not in hospitals or icu ffs it's bad in India because of low vaccinations were doing fine in the UK i'm due my second next week but would gladly give it up for my kids 39 and 37 to get theirs. that's all imo of course.

Well done, Sevco hordes.

I have a family event coming up and was a bit concerned as there will be slightly more than 8 people from 8 households. My fears are now dispelled !

👍

9 hours ago, Boab said:

Likewise. He’s a crook and no amount of intentional buffoonery can disguise a very devious man.

A pathological liar. 
It now turns out, surprise surprise, that  India’s rate was 4 times higher than Pakistan at the start of April. Pakistan went on the red list yet it was another two weeks before India was added.

Ahead of the world ?

Ma hoop !

He wsnted to got there and sign a trade deal anaw. He's a fecking head case. 

JudyJudyJudy
56 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

lets just get on with life no extra hospitalisations in Moray increase in reported cases but not in hospitals or icu ffs it's bad in India because of low vaccinations were doing fine in the UK i'm due my second next week but would gladly give it up for my kids 39 and 37 to get theirs. that's all imo of course.

👍

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

👍

2 hours ago, weehammy said:

You could be right. But they won’t be alone. Never mind, there’ll be thousand of mates of the two guys in that immigration van heading here to replace them.

Hope so

Dagger Is Back
10 hours ago, Boab said:

Likewise. He’s a crook and no amount of intentional buffoonery can disguise a very devious man.

A pathological liar. 
It now turns out, surprise surprise, that  India’s rate was 4 times higher than Pakistan at the start of April. Pakistan went on the red list yet it was another two weeks before India was added.

Ahead of the world ?

Ma hoop !

Well said Boab.

Nucky Thompson
47 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

We need more lockdowns, imo. 

You're more up and down than a yoyo :lol:

Nucky Thompson

Positive cases down again in the UK today. People in hospital drop below 1000 for the first time in God knows how long.

:leveinproblem:

I think we'll know more about whether indian variant is a concen in a couple of weeks.  As I recall....the normal course of events is:-

- Restrictions are loosened

- approx 2 weeks later you see a rise in infections

- approx 2 weeks later you see hospitalisations rise

- approx 2 weeks later you see death numbers rise

That was before the vaccine...if Moray and then Glasgow show no noticable rise in hospitalisations, then the vaccine is breaking the chain which means we still need to be cautious (due to the chance of other mutations) but we shouldn't be panicking.

If we do see hospitaliations rise....then we have a problem.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You're more up and down than a yoyo :lol:

He’s an enigma 

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Positive cases down again in the UK today. People in hospital drop below 1000 for the first time in God knows how long.

No 

Nucky Thompson

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the cynic in me thinks that the vaccine take up in younger people is slow and they need a wee bit of a scare to push them on.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the cynic in me thinks that the vaccine take up in younger people is slow and they need a wee bit of a scare to push them on.

Exactly what I’ve been thinking . 

18 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

We've not even been offered it yet to be slow taking it up 😂

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

We've not even been offered it yet to be slow taking it up 😂

Not as young as you Taffin :biggrin2:

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, westbow said:

SE Asia is looking very vulnerable. Like India had, they have avoided the worst but Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar have rising cases.

Vaccination production needs to be massively increased. I would have pasted the article but hit a paywall after a couple of free ones.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2021/05/15/a-worrying-new-wave-of-covid-19-is-hitting-south-east-asia

You have to wonder why the U.K. are against this then, if we don’t get vaccines to everyone “spikes” are going to continue. 
https://www.ft.com/content/f54bf71b-87be-4290-9c95-4d110eec7a90

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Boab said:

Well done, Sevco hordes.

I have a family event coming up and was a bit concerned as there will be slightly more than 8 people from 8 households. My fears are now dispelled !

👍

Might cause a new variant, Sevcovid 55. 

64C9EB21-5DD0-46D2-A6B6-8D2CEFF377AE.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

This aint their first rodeo, PfK.

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What ever happened to ladies ? 😂😂

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The younger people under 40 haven’t been offered it yet 

Enzo Chiefo

But, but, but...there's an Indian,  SA, Kent, Brazilian* variant that's sooo much more transmissible than one of the other ones  * delete as applicable 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

The younger people under 40 haven’t been offered it yet 

I'm getting auld, so when I mean younger people, I mean younger than 50 :biggrin2:

PS. @Governor Tarkinyou can bolt auld yin 

55 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not as young as you Taffin :biggrin2:

My jab will be just round the corner I think.

I'm only on the edge of being considered younger ,myself now but we're only just into the 38/39 year olds! If it's slowing now there's going to be serious issues when they get to people in their 20s I fear. I'd assumed every up until now would have been quite keen to take it up..but maybe not?

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But, but, but...there's an Indian,  SA, Kent, Brazilian* variant that's sooo much more transmissible than one of the other ones  * delete as applicable 

Yeah that’s a point that happened to the Brazilian variant ? That seems to have died a death ! Hhhmmmm ? 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's all just one variant on a world tour.

9C10C41F-9927-48B7-9252-FD8275C75C9D.gif

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Poor ol' Marlon would have been in the 'at risk' category no matter which variant he caught/ate.

Oh certainly in his later years ! He piled on the pounds . Incredible  actor and interesting / bizarre guy too 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh certainly in his later years ! He piled on the pounds . Incredible  actor and interesting / bizarre guy too 

Absolutely. 

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This aint their first rodeo, PfK.

Hahahahaha no doubt about that. 

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

What ever happened to ladies ? 😂😂

They turned into lads apparently 🙈

Governor Tarkin

I'm getting auld, so when I mean younger people, I mean younger than 50 :biggrin2:

PS. @Governor Tarkinyou can bolt auld yin 

:greggy:

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

The people make Glasgow 

Probably hardly any of those ***** were from Glasgow. South Lanarkshire and Northern Ireland. 

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Probably hardly any of those ***** were from Glasgow. South Lanarkshire and Northern Ireland. 

i had seen on social media that a bus load travelled up from my old haunt of Galashiels if true obviously stupidity of the highest order

49 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i had seen on social media that a bus load travelled up from my old haunt of Galashiels if true obviously stupidity of the highest order

Plenty arrived in Edinburgh passing through to Glasgow on the train from there yesterday 

Nucky Thompson

I see Israel are down to 20 or 30 positive cases a day now that the majority are vaccinated.

Everything is back open again too.

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I see Israel are down to 20 or 30 positive cases a day now that the majority are vaccinated.

Everything is back open again too.

Excellent. Now they can re-focus their energies on sorting those Palestinian terrorists out. It'll be good to get a bit of practice in for their upcoming pagger with Iran.

Might book a wee summer holiday in Eilat while it's still there.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic