Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Do you get daggers in Diggers?

Only if you buy one of their delicious pies ! ! 😂it’s oh my bucket list ! My aspirations re my bucket list have become very basic since covid ! It’s the small things in life . That’s if Pasquel for the king let’s me and my quiz chum in ! 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D You're too quick for me - I edited that post a second time. Time for a post-meridian perambulation, methinks. Hope you're doing well, James.

I’m not too bad and hope you are well? I had to look up perambulation ! Yes I’m sometimes too sharp on the finger when posting . I usually regret it ! 😂

Edited by JamesM48

Enzo Chiefo
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Isn’t it refreshing to get clarity about the deaths of those with covid ie age , Health etc ? Hardly ever mentioned really , but good for his to dispel any fear that it might attack less vulnerable peoples and therefore be more worrying . Naturally very sad for the older woman who died as any death is one too many . 

I think we are now at the stage James, where the chance of anyone dying from Covid is nowhere near  the risk of dying from any other condition.  

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think we are now at the stage James, where the chance of anyone dying from Covid is nowhere near  the risk of dying from any other condition.  

Yea I think we are . Be interesting to see how the next few weeks pans out due to Indian variant but the problem is we are always saying this “ in the next few weeks “ etc and meanwhile the clock is running down on our lives really . In particular those elderly who may and still want family contacts and a quality of life . 

Enzo Chiefo
23 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Has the FM expressed her anger over another mass gathering in the weeg today yet ?

Depends if it was politically expedient or not. Normal football related celebrations whilst flying our national flag...BAD. Gathering en masse, encouraged by elected MSPs - to oppose the eviction of illegal immigrants- GOOD. As illogical as you can get.

Mac_fae_Gillie
2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

1900 new cases in the UK today but 290 of those were in Scotland.  Those are horrendous numbers, Is there something I am missing? Does anyone know what the positivity rate was, is that because we did more tests? 

People also doing home tests for work(I got to test Sunday and Wednesday) so even those with zero symptons or another reason to test are finding they have covid thus the number is higher than would be but giving a more real figure than before.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Normal football related celebrations whilst flying our national flag...

Rangers fans were brawling and smashing the place up. 

Could Roddy end up defending any of the neanderthals from yesterday?

Only the rich ones who got into serious bother, I suppose.

Enzo Chiefo
46 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Rangers fans were brawling and smashing the place up. 

Yip, not condoning those who broke the law last night. Nor those who defended law breakers from being legimately removed from their houses on Thursday.  The responses from politicians to those incidents have been hypocritical.  Lying under a police van/ throwing bottles at Police. Equally reprehensible. 

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yip, not condoning those who broke the law last night. Nor those who defended law breakers from being legimately removed from their houses on Thursday.  The responses from politicians to those incidents have been hypocritical.  Lying under a police van/ throwing bottles at Police. Equally reprehensible. 

Lol.  Lying under a van and violence towards police is not equal.  Not in this universe.  

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

1900 new cases in the UK today but 290 of those were in Scotland.  Those are horrendous numbers, Is there something I am missing? Does anyone know what the positivity rate was, is that because we did more tests? 

"Horrendous"?

As you say it depends on khow many were tested and how many of the cases involved people actually being ill.

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Lol.  Lying under a van and violence towards police is not equal.  Not in this universe.  

Well, both law breakers I guess. They are free to lie under the van as long as they don't complain when it slams into reverse. Playing with fire and all that...

55 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Could Roddy end up defending any of the neanderthals from yesterday?

Only the rich ones who got into serious bother, I suppose.

Might be a shortage of lawyers tomorrow!

image.png.25766bff97d406cb5cebd320aee61886.png

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well, both law breakers I guess. They are free to lie under the van as long as they don't complain when it slams into reverse. Playing with fire and all that...

The incident on Thursday was incited  and encouraged by politicians ( Labour and SNP  and only criticised/ condemned  in very mild terms . The incident  yesterday was  completely inevitable . Bunch of piss head ******s really . Both deserve strong condemnation but only one got this . 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Might be a shortage of lawyers tomorrow!

image.png.25766bff97d406cb5cebd320aee61886.png

That man is a complete clown and hypocrite  ( Hamza ) totally out of his depth in his role . Clueless . 

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The incident on Thursday was incited  and encouraged by politicians ( Labour and SNP  and only criticised/ condemned  in very mild terms . The incident  yesterday was  completely inevitable . Bunch of piss head ******s really . Both deserve strong condemnation but only one got this . 

Yes,  it's the inconsistency, for political purposes, that sticks in the throat.  Elected politicians encouraging the gullible proletariat to disrupt the legal process is probably unprecedented outwith a banana republic.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes,  it's the inconsistency, for political purposes, that sticks in the throat.  Elected politicians encouraging the gullible proletariat to disrupt the legal process is probably unprecedented outwith a banana republic.

Yes it’s really concerning. A Govt  encouraging people to break the law . That’s what is was . Where will it end ? Since they are not happy with U.K. powers I wonder what next they may encourage their fans to “ demonstrate “ against . Yes people power and demos can influence policy and affect change ,  but they are never condoned by the ruling Govt 

Forgive me if this has been covered before now but could the rise in cases not be coming along with the now available home test that the government is rolling out? Ie people who wouldn't usually test are now taking a home test 'just to be safe' and getting a positive result? 

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, Blair835 said:

Forgive me if this has been covered before now but could the rise in cases not be coming along with the now available home test that the government is rolling out? Ie people who wouldn't usually test are now taking a home test 'just to be safe' and getting a positive result? 

i usually ignore number of positive cases and look at % which is still really low and below WHO levels also keep an eye on hospital admissions and they are still stable so hopefully this new indian variant is not going to cause any issues. 

Footballfirst
5 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Scotland has had a disproportionately higher rate of infections compared to their share of the UK population since 6th March this year.  Before then Scotland had a lower rate of infections for 50 of the 52 weeks from the start of the pandemic.  Scotland's higher incidence seemed to start with its earlier reopening of schools and spikes among the prison population and we have never fully recovered. The recent spikes in Moray and Glasgow, which have involved the Indian variant, seem to have had a disproportionate impact on the national figures, when compared to the likes of Bolton.   

Edited by Footballfirst

King Of The Cat Cafe
17 minutes ago, Blair835 said:

Is just about what Donald Trump said.  The more you test, the more you will find.

Bizarrely, Trump had a point.  If you sit by the side of the road for an hour and count the  number of white cars that pass by, you may spot a dozen.  But if you sit there for three hours, well then....

What we may never know is the number of people who think they maybe need a test, but do not because they do not want to prove positive with all that entails.

King Of The Cat Cafe
18 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i usually ignore number of positive cases and look at % which is still really low and below WHO levels also keep an eye on hospital admissions and they are still stable so hopefully this new indian variant is not going to cause any issues. 

qwertyuiop[

Edited by King Of The Cat Cafe

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Hypocrisy from (SNP) MPs/MSPs is nothing new. However, they are clearly just playing politics now, and have no real interest in public safety. Couldn't be any more transparent if they wrapped themselves in cling film and lived in a greenhouse.

😂

6 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

From Travelling Tabby's tracker:

Today, 16,003 new tests were reported, which is a decrease from yesterdays figure of 27,866. From those 16,003, 2.0% were positive.

We are currently conducting an average of 19,935 tests per day. This is an increase from this time last week, when it was 18,244 a day.

I find myself looking less at the number of cases but the number of tests carried out, positivity rate and hospitalisations to judge things. Cases are going up, positivity rate going up (bad) but hospitalisations seem stable (effect of the virus potentially not as bad). 

If hospitalisations go up i'll start to worry, trying to be quite hopeful that the rate of vaccination is going to offset a lot of pain. I still think there's a sting in the tail and it's not just Moray and Glasgow City that'll be a problem. 

manaliveits105

Today children we are looking through the square window and the words for the day are 

“spreads like wildfire” 

News reporting that NHS Lothian is opening the Lowland Hall at the Royland Highland Show Centre today, which has capacity to do 30,000 vaccines per week, but initially up to 18k.

I didn't find it the easiest article to read because it sort of jumped between NHS Lothian and the Centre specifically, but I think the stats are RHSC specific.  

(The latest vaccination data from Travelling Taby had a 7 day figure for CoE at 25k and NHS Lothian at 38k)

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/edinburghs-biggest-covid-19-vaccination-centre-will-vaccinate-more-than-30000-a-week-3237877

I suppose time will tell on take up rates, but I'm far from convinced how handy the RHSC will be for many folk who say don't have cars while we are still being encouraged not to take public transport, albeit medical appointments are OK.

Of course too, there really isn't a similar venue in Central Edinburgh.  May be the Meadows or Princes Street Gardens should have been commandeered and big massive tents put up.

Then again thousands can get there for a rave no bother.

Edited by DETTY29

manaliveits105
35 minutes ago, jonesy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57139434

As a result of these findings, I await the closure of workplaces around the world, and furlough money being chucked at staff not to work. It's all about saving lives, after all.

hospitality  staff expected to work long hours especially - I would drastically restrict opening times now before its too late.

41 minutes ago, jonesy said:

As a result of these findings, I await the closure of workplaces around the world, and furlough money being chucked at staff not to work. It's all about saving lives, after all.

The UK already has a law stopping employers from requiring their employees to work more than 48 hours in one week.

The average in Europe is 41.2

Edited by Ray Gin

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

News reporting that NHS Lothian is opening the Lowland Hall at the Royland Highland Show Centre today, which has capacity to do 30,000 vaccines per week, but initially up to 18k.

I didn't find it the easiest article to read because it sort of jumped between NHS Lothian and the Centre specifically, but I think the stats are RHSC specific.  

(The latest vaccination data from Travelling Taby had a 7 day figure for CoE at 25k and NHS Lothian at 38k)

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/edinburghs-biggest-covid-19-vaccination-centre-will-vaccinate-more-than-30000-a-week-3237877

I suppose time will tell on take up rates, but I'm far from convinced how handy the RHSC will be for many folk who say don't have cars while we are still being encouraged not to take public transport, albeit medical appointments are OK.

Of course too, there really isn't a similar venue in Central Edinburgh.  May be the Meadows or Princes Street Gardens should have been commandeered and big massive tents put up.

would the EICC not come under that umbrella

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Media rolling out all the professors of caution they can find this morning 

Tell me about it . Just half way scrolled down my face book and literally most news articles are about SAGE c**** urging caution and some saying sack indoor meetings too . Even worse a high percentage of comments from joe and Joanne public agreeing with them. ! Tragic “ Please keep me locked up , it’s safer , means I don’t have any   responsibility or decisions to make “ ! . The Govt have played a blinder in controlling the populous . Anyway despite all that lets rejoice ! We have been given permission to hug people now ! Wow 🤩 whos first ? 😂

3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Yeah that place is totally impracticable for many people . Your suggestion about the ‘Meadows is good or just ramp it up more at EICC and other places 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Yep ! And people laughed as JC In his Labour manifesto about cutting the working day to 4 days per week ? I even recall years ago there was a thinking that by 2020 ( the future ) we would hardly be working at all and would have so much leisure time to fill in . Come to think of it’s that’s been accurate in the last 14 months 😂 still waiting on flying cars 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep ! And people laughed as JC In his Labour manifesto about cutting the working day to 4 days per week ? I even recall years ago there was a thinking that by 2020 ( the future ) we would hardly be working at all and would have so much leisure time to fill in . Come to think of it’s that’s been accurate in the last 14 months 😂 still waiting on flying cars 

Brighton Jambo

I am pleased to see there seems to be a cross party view forming (UK) that the easing of restrictions shouldn’t be slowed because some people who are at risk have refused the vaccine when offered.

That’s absolutely where I am, if you didn’t want the vaccine then fine that’s your choice but you don’t then get to hold the rest of us back. They knew the risks and now have to suffer the consequences.  

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I am pleased to see there seems to be a cross party view forming (UK) that the easing of restrictions shouldn’t be slowed because some people who are at risk have refused the vaccine when offered.

That’s absolutely where I am, if you didn’t want the vaccine then fine that’s your choice but you don’t then get to hold the rest of us back. They knew the risks and now have to suffer the consequences.  

Exactly 

8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That's a reasonable position.  For the smallish number of people who haven't tipped up for their vaccine.  But there's currently a larger number of people who do want their vaccine but who are waiting their turn.  Hopefully soon we'll get to the stage where everyone has had their vaccine offer and the mood will be to move on.  

It's being said that the vaccines do and will continue to reduce transmission.  There should be a stage soon when epidemiological spread becomes very difficult for this (current) virus.

Edited by Victorian

JudyJudyJudy

Anyway let’s hope this is the start of many more happy Mondays ! Have a good day

Mars plastic

Had some weirdo masker tell me to maintain 2m when walking along the pavement earlier. Away you go you utter melt.

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Had some weirdo masker tell me to maintain 2m when walking along the pavement earlier. Away you go you utter melt.

I like when u see the fear in their face , as much as u can with masks , and continue to walk in their path way . If they are so feart they can go on to pavement then get run over by an oncoming bus . Bunch of dafties 

JudyJudyJudy

Like others mentioned earlier the prophets of doom are out in force today , including this one 

It’s the patronising tone of the tweet which bothers me not the actual content per sa . 

22408E59-C648-47FB-BFD6-F5430843B1F1.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Absolutely. We know the vaccines are broadly safe but there remains a risk with almost every medication, so you choose your path and take your chances. 

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The reality, however, is that the higher-stress (and usually higher-paid) positions require unbelievably long hours. It may be 'optional', but in those fields you aren't going to get very far if you aren't seen to be putting the hours in. Still 750,000 deaths a year caused by overwork - ban work.

A bit of a attention grabbing headline in such a story but I've read some interesting articles and discussions about this. The US is absolutely shocking - saw a long reddit thread on their working conditions and the expectation of folk working long hours, often unpaid for the extra, and how workers get frowned upon for actually using their  holiday allowance in a lot of companies, that was a real eye-opener as they are often lucky to get 2 weeks as it is. Japan too demands these long, punishing hours - to the point if someone falls asleep in the street or during a meeting its seen as dedication to the job. That seems crazy to me. 

I've also seen a few articles desperate for those who moved to working at home because of the pandemic, to get their arses back in the office. Even if their health and productivity has increased. Not all industries suit WFH, granted, but the old-fashioned sentiments used were basically Alan Sugar style presentism - ie we own you, so you'll be at that desk 9-5 with a tie-on or else. Less fussed about the work being completed to a decent quality nor the workforce's wellbeing but on having control over others. Other companies have ben utilising Teams and webcams to spy on employees at home, often on the sly, way beyond what would be reasonable or ethical. The sentiment of "ownership" remains, ingrained into old fashioned business folk.

The Washington Post CEO provoked a strike with her ridiculous article which tried to push stuff like office birthday cakes and "being known" to the manager as reasons for being in the office or gaining promotion: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/05/07/cathy-merrill-washingtonian-strike/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/05/06/ceo-i-want-my-employees-understand-risks-not-returning-work-office/?itid=lk_inline_manual_4

Facebook, being the utter chancers that they are, suggested WFH might be permanent for staff but you'll get paid less dependent on where you live and also because you are saving on commuting costs. Last time I checked, no-one was paid for their time getting to and from work. 

There's plenty data available now from the enforced WFH period during the lockdowns to allow companies to create much better models that aid both productivity and staff wellbeing. 

55 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The reality, however, is that the higher-stress (and usually higher-paid) positions require unbelievably long hours. It may be 'optional', but in those fields you aren't going to get very far if you aren't seen to be putting the hours in. Still 750,000 deaths a year caused by overwork - ban work.

Ban overworking.

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Like others mentioned earlier the prophets of doom are out in force today , including this one 

It’s the patronising tone of the tweet which bothers me not the actual content per sa . 

22408E59-C648-47FB-BFD6-F5430843B1F1.jpeg

Oh, it's make your own judgment now?

I thought it was follow the rules.

I was trying to make my own judgement based on prevalence and risk yet that was frowned upon before.

Edited by Taffin

scott herbertson
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

161 new cases in Scotland and zero deaths. 1.8% positivity rate

1.6% positivity

Fxxx the SPFL

Scottish numbers: 17 May 2021

Summary

• 161 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 11,361 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 1.6% of these were positive
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register offices are now generally closed on weekends)
  • 3 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 68 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 3,035,790 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 1,638,536 have received their second dose

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

1.6% positivity

Even better 

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Oh, it's make your own judgment now?

I thought it was follow the rules.

I was trying to make my own judgement based on prevalence and risk yet that was frowned upon before.

Same with me ! I started making my own judgements way back last July / August

Edited by JamesM48

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic