Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

13 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

How do you get a sickline for work if come the event you are told to self isolate ?

I don't think you do. It's a waste of doctor's resources to be writing sick notes for people who probably aren't even ill.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I think the strategy will change soon, once containment/delaying is no longer feasible, that point must be approaching, it will be about treatment and minimising impact. 

I read they are saying 4 out 5 people who get it will have very little impact on them. So the strategy will change to not so much testing everyone, which is about containment, to just treating those severely impacted. The transmission will become less important once it’s loose 

Unless containment is successful, it will probably just become something we all have to live with. So if you just have the ‘sniffles’ it will be deal with it. 

Don’t get me wrong that will put a big strain on the NHS. However, despite some poor political point scoring, the U.K. is amongst the best places countries to deal with this. 

I have also found crisis tend to bring out the best in humans, 

I saw this point put to an expert on the news, he said they won't abandon containment as the fewer people who cantract it the better, and if everyone caught it at once the strain on hospitals would be overwhelming.

If it is found to be circulating in the UK, I'd expect the cancellation of public gatherings, and people who can, to work from home. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Italian authorities now say that the death toll in Italy has risen from 34 to 52.

That is some jump, and makes you wonder why the death toll percentage in Italy is much higher than anywhere else including China.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It doesn’t predict this at all in the book, but I could believe that a virus which is now sweeping the globe and started beside a laboratory like that in China, could possibly be linked to it in some way.

I know it doesn't say it in the book, i'd read about this story last week, and of course the conspiracy lot jumped on the bandwagon.

As for the second part of your sentence, agreed, the mind boggles at what sort of nasty bugs/virus' could be lurking about on some test trays in labs all over the World.

I'm feeling as rough as **** with cold symptoms, a family were friendly across the valley we saw on Sunday at or kids rugby game were all of school today..................

35 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I'm feeling as rough as **** with cold symptoms, a family were friendly across the valley we saw on Sunday at or kids rugby game were all of school today..................

I'm feeling a cold incoming aswell.

Luckily my eyes and ******* aren't bleeding though

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Here is hoping it does. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact I’ll probably get hit with it, with the job I do (just have a wee time off☺️)I’m nor worried about that really, but I am worried about my parents.

In a nutshell for me too, Lucky. My parents are getting on now and I'm not sure they could cope with a hit of the virus. Trying to encourage them to minimise social interactions for a wee while...

57 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Italian authorities now say that the death toll in Italy has risen from 34 to 52.

That is some jump, and makes you wonder why the death toll percentage in Italy is much higher than anywhere else including China.

As sketchy as the Italians are, they are probably still more likely to report genuine numbers.   Also, China will have a lot more people dying daily purely down to the amount of people.

What I was wondering, is why isn't there higher numbers in Russia?  They share a huge border with China.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I don’t know how the hospitals are going to cope with this. It’s bad enough at the moment with all the numpties rocking up to the A&E with a paper cut etc. Now they will be bombarded by hoards of folk who have nothing more than a little cough, or a runny nose.

I think the drive thro’ swab testing is alleviate this scenario . 

Just now, Meadows said:

I think the drive thro’ swab testing is alleviate this scenario . 

"Can I have a caronavirus testing kit please?"

"Yes sir, would you like fries with that?'

Ibrahim Tall
11 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

As sketchy as the Italians are, they are probably still more likely to report genuine numbers.   Also, China will have a lot more people dying daily purely down to the amount of people.

What I was wondering, is why isn't there higher numbers in Russia?  They share a huge border with China.

The borders huge but the population is minimal, ~80% of Russia stays west of the Urals. 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Isn't the Death Toll percentage lower than anywhere else?

Thought I seen somewhere that Italy is 2% whereas China and Iran are 3.8% and 5.5% respectively.  

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It all depends on case mix. No point trying to figure out patterns or trends from raw death rates as we already know there's a bias towards the elderly and those with other healtj conditions. 

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Iran are under reporting 

Others suspected including Indonesia 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

Isn't the Death Toll percentage lower than anywhere else?

Thought I seen somewhere that Italy is 2% whereas China and Iran are 3.8% and 5.5% respectively.  

Seen those figures after I posted.

Might have picked it up wrong earlier today, thought I'd heard it reported that the Italian death rate was higher, must have picked it wrong.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seen those figures after I posted.

Might have picked it up wrong earlier today, thought I'd heard it reported that the Italian death rate was higher, must have picked it wrong.

I did the same thing read/heard it was higher but yes it's around the 2.5

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

So according to some newspapers 80% of Scots could get the virus.

:cornette_dog:

I don't get that if 80% then why not 100% are the rest hermits and never leave the house.Be as well saying potentially everybody could get this

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I don't get that if 80% then why not 100% are the rest hermits and never leave the house.Be as well saying potentially everybody could get this

Exactly.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

There is no Government in the World that's going to tell it's population that they are going to 100% get this virus, spook joe public that would, and we all know that it doesn't take much to spook them as it is.

Of course there always seems to be folks who never seem to get anything, we all know people like that, no matter what's doing the rounds they never seem to get ill, the same will happen here, for one reason or another some folks will not get this virus.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There is no Government in the World that's going to tell it's population that they are going to 100% get this virus, spook joe public that would, and we all know that it doesn't take much to spook them as it is.

Of course there always seems to be folks who never seem to get anything, we all know people like that, no matter what's doing the rounds they never seem to get ill, the same will happen here, for one reason or another some folks will not get this virus.

I wonder if there are similar predictions for the rest of the UK.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I wonder if there are similar predictions for the rest of the UK.

Last week there was a leaked Government memo, which said in a worse case scenario up to 80% of the population could be infected with 600,000 deaths.

Nicola Sturgeon after sitting in on the Cobra meeting yesterday morning came out with the 80% of Scots figure.......there's your answer.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Last week there was a leaked Government memo, which said in a worse case scenario up to 80% of the population could be infected with 600,000 deaths.

Nicola Sturgeon after sitting in on the Cobra meeting yesterday morning came out with the 80% of Scots figure.......there's your answer.

👍

Jambo-Jimbo

Just heard that the IOC are meeting in Switzerland today and obviously cancelling the Olympic games is on the agenda.

The Olympics have only ever been cancelled once before, that was the 1940 games due to WWII.

Rather coincidentally the 1940 games were due to be held in Tokyo.

17 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Phone just informed me 1 in 5 are off work with this. Should I be worried? Scaremongering tosh.

Potentially 1/5th off workforce could be off 

Jambo-Jimbo
21 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Phone just informed me 1 in 5 are off work with this. Should I be worried? Scaremongering tosh.

No, the actual statement is that in the peak weeks of this virus being uncontained, then up to 1 in 5 could potentially be off work.

William H. Bonney

probably a ploy by the Russians. If they can’t participate in major sporting events than no one can. 

Captain Lithuania

So 80% of us will get it and 20% of us will be off work? I think that’s a great idea. Make the sick folk work so the other 20% don’t get sick. 

Hope I don’t get it. 

scottish_chicP

I have a genetic disorder which means my immune system isn't great so not loving the sound of this. I did have swine flu back in the day and survived that (albeit ended up with pneumonia). Apparently alcohol can kill it so I should be fine though :lol:

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, scottish_chicP said:

I have a genetic disorder which means my immune system isn't great so not loving the sound of this. I did have swine flu back in the day and survived that (albeit ended up with pneumonia). Apparently alcohol can kill it so I should be fine though :lol:

Not so good but your last sentence cheered me up.

Latest doing the rounds for Nursing Bank Staff. 

Bank staff: On behalf of the Infections Disease team - please be reassured that no bank worker will be placed in a position of looking after any patients with a suspected or confirmed Covid -19 unless they have specifically noted interest in working with the community or drive thru team. Bank staff will be supporting the ward team to care for patients they would normally care for when working in the infections disease ward. If you have any concerns please discuss this with the staff bank manager on duty on *******

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Not necessarily. Although in worst case 80% will have it, it won't be at the same time, so although everyone would likely come into contact with someone who had it, it doesn't mean you'll come into contact with them when they are contagious. 

These models will also consider remoteness of some people, whether some people will be natural immune etc. 

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Not necessarily. Although in worst case 80% will have it, it won't be at the same time, so although everyone would likely come into contact with someone who had it, it doesn't mean you'll come into contact with them when they are contagious. 

These models will also consider remoteness of some people, whether some people will be natural immune etc. 

I'm more anxious of myself getting it and passing it onto my wife.She had two operations on her lung last year that kept collapsing and any type of cold she really feels it and this thing targets that area she doesn't have any other underlying issues though and I'm worried for my mum(she ain't) who pretty much hits all the targets but you wouldn't think it as she is a hardy wee soul.

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

I'm more anxious of myself getting it and passing it onto my wife.She had two operations on her lung last year that kept collapsing and any type of cold she really feels it and this thing targets that area she doesn't have any other underlying issues though and I'm worried for my mum(she ain't) who pretty much hits all the targets but you wouldn't think it as she is a hardy wee soul.

Aye, my dad has highest level COPD so I'd fear the worst for him if he caught it. The general flu could be very dangerous for him. If or when, cases in Scotland start showing an increasing trend then I'll start seriously considering avoiding seeing him till it settled down. In your case being in the same place as your wife you probably should act as though you yourself are in a high risk group and take zero chances. 

10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Aye, my dad has highest level COPD so I'd fear the worst for him if he caught it. The general flu could be very dangerous for him. If or when, cases in Scotland start showing an increasing trend then I'll start seriously considering avoiding seeing him till it settled down. In your case being in the same place as your wife you probably should act as though you yourself are in a high risk group and take zero chances. 

I'm calmer about the whole thing now it had me freaked when it broke in Italy but I'm more rational now.

1 hour ago, Arnaud Djoum said:

So 80% of us will get it and 20% of us will be off work? I think that’s a great idea. Make the sick folk work so the other 20% don’t get sick. 

Hope I don’t get it. 

The figures are starting to worry me.  I have an snapped Achilles operation in June, that looks unlikely now.  I am more concerned with my Kidney failure and repeated journeys to hospital,. Hope the waiting area/wards do not resemble something like Stephen Kings, The Stand scenario...   :)  Also intrusive surgery in October, hope things are improving by then.

OmiyaHearts
43 minutes ago, hueyview said:

The figures are starting to worry me.  I have an snapped Achilles operation in June, that looks unlikely now.  I am more concerned with my Kidney failure and repeated journeys to hospital,. Hope the waiting area/wards do not resemble something like Stephen Kings, The Stand scenario...   :) Also intrusive surgery in October, hope things are improving by then.

It should all be fine by June (fingers crossed). New cases daily are decreasing across China, roughly two months after the outbreak. So hopefully we see the situation in the UK looking better this time next month.

We're at the stage now that over 50% of infected worldwide have recovered fully, with the current 40k infected likely to be over 98% recovery rate. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I still find it incredible the reaction of governments and individuals, to something that is infecting less than 0.002% of a country like Japan (1.29m people and 293 total cases). These guys have been dealing with it over 2 months with only 6 deaths. Why are people are freaking out over something virtually harmless to majority of the worlds adult population, which also has no effect on children or minors?

It just seems all a bit of an overreaction and I'll be rather annoyed if my flight to Japan gets cancelled next month. 

Edited by OmiyaHearts

Jambo-Jimbo

I think my biggest concern is my wife, on two accounts.

1. She's a nurse and therefore if this thing really kicks off, then she'll no doubt at some point come into contact with patients who have Covid-19, and she would then be at higher risk of catching it itself.

2. Pass it on to me, I have a damaged heart, a fair part of my lower right chamber died when I had a massive heart attack & then just to complicate things further I'm also diabetic.  I'd anticipate that if I caught Covid-19 it wouldn't do my health much good.

So I do hope that it can be contained as much as possible, but the number of infections will only increase over the coming weeks, it just depends upon how many and how widespread they are.

34 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

It should all be fine by June (fingers crossed). New cases daily are decreasing across China, roughly two months after the outbreak. So hopefully we see the situation in the UK looking better this time next month.

We're at the stage now that over 50% of infected worldwide have recovered fully, with the current 40k infected likely to be over 98% recovery rate. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I still find it incredible the reaction of governments and individuals, to something that is infecting less than 0.002% of a country like Japan (1.29m people and 293 total cases). These guys have been dealing with it over 2 months with only 6 deaths. Why are people are freaking out over something virtually harmless to majority of the worlds adult population, which also has no effect on children or minors?

It just seems all a bit of an overreaction and I'll be rather annoyed if my flight to Japan gets cancelled next month. 

I wonder if the population movement controls as used in China will be introduced, as you say it seems to be limiting spread..

However harder to control in a free western country if folk are bloody minded.

Also I see a proportion of folk getting the virus, seemingly getting better at, are now presenting with it again.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, hueyview said:

I wonder if the population movement controls as used in China will be introduced, as you say it seems to be limiting spread..

However harder to control in a free western country if folk are bloody minded.

Also I see a proportion of folk getting the virus, seemingly getting better at, are now presenting with it again.

Makes you wonder if it ever went away, or was just lying there dormant in their bodies, just waiting to strike again.

If so then the obvious question is, how long could it remain dormant for, days, weeks, months maybe even years, another unknown about Covid-19.

29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Makes you wonder if it ever went away, or was just lying there dormant in their bodies, just waiting to strike again.

If so then the obvious question is, how long could it remain dormant for, days, weeks, months maybe even years, another unknown about Covid-19.

Reports I have heard are some recover and show negative results but it hasn't gone at all and it resurfaces.Just depends where you read though as other places just report it as recatching it.

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just heard that the IOC are meeting in Switzerland today and obviously cancelling the Olympic games is on the agenda.

The Olympics have only ever been cancelled once before, that was the 1940 games due to WWII.

Rather coincidentally the 1940 games were due to be held in Tokyo.

They were also cancelled in 1916 and 1944..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Summer_Olympics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944_Summer_Olympics

51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, very true....

I P Knightley

19 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

image.gif.acd37971c4a0128f2a6d476c3d8a915b.gif29b312d2-4df4-4d01-9fb8-c325f77f3113.png

That's the first time I've seen the words "fatality" and "ratio" written together. At first glance, I was wondering what blow jobs had to do with anything in the thread. 

Does anyone know, if I get Covid-19 and make a full recovery, whether I'll lose a significant amount of weight? 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic