Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

kingantti1874
Just now, graygo said:

My wife is from Dunbar and I can confirm she was filthy when I first met her.

Not so much now. ☹️

A familiar tale

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mrmarkus1981
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Not so much now. ☹️

Dad?

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

yes possibly, even still - deaths rate from the flu is about 0.1%..  

the WHO say the COVID 19 death rate is about 3.4% .. for sake of arguement let’s say it’s 2% .. the government are estimating about 50 to 80% could get this.. 66million people in the UK - that equates to between 600k and 1m deaths. 

it’s not hard to see why people are getting freaked out by this, it’s pretty unprecedented in modern times.

40% of the UK population are under 30.

Back to the drawing board....!

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not so much now. ☹️

Says more about Dunbar than it does about your choice of spouse tbf.

Just now, graygo said:

Not so much now. ☹️

:groundhog:

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

People don’t feel like they can control this, so they are doing whatever small thing they think will help to protect their family. 

Mate, a bar of imperial leather and a 12 pack of Andrex ain’t protecting anyone.

kingantti1874
Just now, Boab said:

40% of the UK population are under 30.

Back to the drawing board....!

And the death rate for over 80’s is about 15%.

Just now, The Roller said:

Mate, a bar of imperial leather and a 12 pack of Andrex ain’t protecting anyone.

Remember those ads !

Whole family in a big, **** off bath !

Nicholas Brody
32 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Joking apart no idea where people are pulling the “death rate is less than 1% chat

theres about 3400 deaths globally from just under 100k cases so about 3.5%,

in Italy  148 deaths from 3900 cases 3.7%

there are variations based on how long the virus has been in one country but the death rate is pretty high

In the majority of regions, the mortality rate is under 1% or thereabouts.

Even outside of Wuhan the mortality rate is very low and it continues to drop.

Taking the mortality rate as a figure of deaths/people who catch it (over such a short span of time) is a very simplistic way of quantifying it. There will always be outliers. For instance, the mortality rate in South Korea is around 0.6%. As has also been mentioned, this is only working off 'confirmed' cases. People seem to be latching on to these percentages without any context or reasoning.

It will certainly get worse before it gets better bit banding about figures of '1 million people in britain could die' is a bit far fetched.

DEATH RATE

confirmed cases

DEATH RATE
all cases
Cardiovascular disease
13.2%
10.5%
Diabetes
9.2%
7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0%
6.3%
Hypertension
8.4%
6.0%
Cancer
7.6%
5.6%
no pre-existing conditions

0.9%

80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

0%

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Remember those ads !

Whole family in a big, **** off bath !

Ridiculous advert.

I couldn't find one of those baths anywhere.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, The Roller said:

Obviously, but people see an shelf nearing empty, rightly or wrongly they equate it with the virus and stock up. Maybe the shelf was empty because the delivery was late.. it doesn’t matter. People will try and take control in whatever way they can, even if it’s really irrational 

The Internet
6 minutes ago, Suso Santana said:

A man made virus made to battle climate change. 

The chinese have been eating bats for years. 

Can we expect something worse in a few years then as this won't make a dent in climate change. 

Obviously, but people see an shelf nearing empty, rightly or wrongly they equate it with the virus and stock up. Maybe the shelf was empty because the delivery was late.. it doesn’t matter. People will try and take control in whatever way they can, even if it’s really irrational 

Like I said, Arseholes!!

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

People don’t feel like they can control this, so they are doing whatever small thing they think will help to protect their family. 

People who panic buy just make matters worse. FFS toilet roll and bottled water :P

We live in Scotland, there's a never ending supply of natural water.

Are they going to wrap toilet roll around themselves like a mummy to protect them from the virus?

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Can we expect something worse in a few years then as this won't make a dent in climate change. 

If Greta Thunberg gets it, the game’s up !

Why when there is a major incident does bread and milk become like gold dust? 

Bad virus around

What's for dinner? 

Aye just toast 

Oh ok

Suso Santana
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I dunno like ,it's spreading like wild fire. 

Less people to drive cars, less people to fart. etc etc. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

People who panic buy just make matters worse. FFS toilet roll and bottled water :P

We live in Scotland, there's a never ending supply of natural water.

Are they going to wrap toilet roll around themselves like a mummy to protect them from the virus?

It's laughable some of the behaviour.

B05DF247-7A0B-4719-9B84-94BE6058F708.png

So why did you use the whole UK population to work out that between 600K and a million are going to hit the crossbar ?

Feel free to freak out, just don’t make up random numbers !

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

It's laughable some of the behaviour.

What do you expect though have you seen it at Christmas when the supermarkets are shut for one fecking day

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, vegas-voss said:

What do you expect though have you seen it at Christmas when the supermarkets are shut for one fecking day

True. 

It'll maybe do some folk a favour having no bread to eat.

Nicholas Brody
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

So why did you use the whole UK population to work out that between 600K and a million are going to hit the crossbar ?

Thank you!

Suso Santana

Tip for the day.. Use contactless 

Yer coins and notes could end up covered in it. 

Saying that.. i'm still going about with cash and eating sausage rolls made from randoms in scotmid. 

Edited by Suso Santana

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Suso Santana said:

Tip for the day.. Use contactless 

Yer coins and notes could end up covered in it. 

Saying that.. i'm still going about with cash and eating sausage rolls made from randoms in scotmid. 

They're decent sausage rolls.

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, Boab said:

The government said between 50-80% of the population are likely to get at some stage, the population of the uk is 66m ishso that’s between 33m and 52m ish who will get this..

the WHO have said the “average” death rate (across the age range from those infected) is 3.4%.. clearly that accounts for the variance in death rates across the age range

in my calculation I used 2%..

if you use the WHO rate of 3.4% then if between 50/80% of the population do pick this up that’s c1.1m to 1.7m deaths. ( the vast majority would be the over 70’s and those with a condition). But it doesn’t make the number any less

do I believe that is going to happen ? no, and clearly if there is a higher % of young people the figure will skew a bit country by country.. but to be walking  around thinking this is all being blown out of proportion, and that it’s not worse than the flu is mental .. it absolutely is.. 

am I freaked out, being diabetic I am a wee bit yes.. have a I bough a year supply of loo roll? No .. 

there’s nothing random about my numbers.. 

PS about 15 % of the population are over 70 years old. 15% of 52 million is just shy of 8 million .. according to the age analysis.. death rate amongst that age group according to the WHO is between 8-14.8 %.. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The government said between 50-80% of the population are likely to get at some stage, the population of the uk is 66m ishso that’s between 33m and 52m ish who will get this..

the WHO have said the “average” death rate (across the age range from those infected) is 3.4%.. clearly that accounts for the variance in death rates across the age range

if you use the WHO rate of 3.4% then if between 50/80% of the population do pick this up that’s c1.1m to 1.7m deaths.

do I believe that is going to happen ? no, and clearly if there is a higher % of young people the figure will skew a bit country by country.. but a bit buts to walk around thinking this is all being blown out of proportion, and that it’s not worse than the flu .. it absolutely is.. 

am I freaked out, being diabetic I am a wee bit yes.. have a I bough a year supply of loo roll? No .. 

there’s nothing random about my numbers.. 

I'm type 1 diabetic too but I'm not going to worry myself about it. Just going to carry on my daily business as normal.

I don't want to tempt fate but I've not even had a cold for about 2.5 years :P

if you use the WHO rate of 3.4% then if between 50/80% of the population do pick this up that’s c1.1m to 1.7m deaths.

do I believe that is going to happen ? no, and clearly if there is a higher % of young people the figure will skew a bit country by country.. but a bit buts to walk around thinking this is all being blown out of proportion, and that it’s not worse than the flu .. it absolutely is.. 

I don’t believe it either, mate, believe me. 
I’m sure most people have someone who is going to be more susceptible to this nasty thing. No flippancy here. 
I’m genuinely suspicious of the media’s role throughout this. That’s worldwide btw.

How many people have died from the flu, or related illness, since this kicked off ?

55, 000 or thereabouts ?

Suso Santana
13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They're decent sausage rolls.

You'll no like this but i sometimes buy the jumbo ones from the cold section and eat them like that. 

The ones that have been on the heat all day are murder. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Suso Santana said:

You'll no like this but i sometimes buy the jumbo ones from the cold section and eat them like that. 

The ones that have been on the heat all day are murder. 

Usually get the cold ones.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Boab said:

I don’t believe it either, mate, believe me. 
I’m sure most people have someone who is going to be more susceptible to this nasty thing. No flippancy here. 
I’m genuinely suspicious of the media’s role throughout this. That’s worldwide btw.

How many people have died from the flu, or related illness, since this kicked off ?

55, 000 or thereabouts ?

agree bob.. I’m just explaining why I think people are freaking out.. especially those with older members in the family and people who would be considered at risk..

I’ll say again I don’t think it will get anywhere near those numbers but I understand why people are freaked 

Suso Santana
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Usually get the cold ones.

My ******.

62411620-38cb-11e9-bf1f-252d5d0ea31c.png

Edited by Suso Santana

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm type 1 diabetic too but I'm not going to worry myself about it. Just going to carry on my daily business as normal.

I don't want to tempt fate but I've not even had a cold for about 2.5 years :P

me neither, I chug vitamins and shit like there’s no tomorrow 😂

agree bob.. I’m just explaining why I think people are freaking out.. especially those with older members in the family and people who would be considered at risk..

I’ll say again I don’t think it will get anywhere near those numbers but I understand why people are freaked 

Of course, mate.

I don’t, however, understand the more excitable members of the population, who lose their shit at any given thing.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Of course, mate.

I don’t, however, understand the more excitable members of the population, who lose their shit at any given thing.

agreed, time for calm heads

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Don't know who to believe? 

He's not got respiratory issues does he? Just thinking out loud

Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

He's not got respiratory issues does he? Just thinking out loud

We will be nowhere any antibody any time soon, mate, but, as sure as a cat’s a hairy beast, the powerful and royalty will have access to everything that will combat this. Probably right now !

” Em...aye....we’re working on a vaccine but don’t know when it will be ready....”

:tlj:

43 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

True. 

It'll maybe do some folk a favour having no bread to eat.

Anti-fatties type post, imo.

:wink:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Anti-fatties type post, imo.

:wink:

You’re probably like me, a thoroughbred.

:greggy:

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’re probably like me, a thoroughbred.

:greggy:

Like poachers dug....aw rib and cock!!

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic