Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That's the first time I've seen the words "fatality" and "ratio" written together. At first glance, I was wondering what blow jobs had to do with anything in the thread. 

Does anyone know, if I get Covid-19 and make a full recovery, whether I'll lose a significant amount of weight? 

You'll definitely loose a significant amount of weight...........they don't feck about at Mortonhall!

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Yes true, however in 1916 & 1944 it had been clear for at least two years beforehand that neither Olympic games were going to go ahead, whereas in 1940, the Japanese hadn't declared war on either Britian or America yet, they were at war with China though in 1940.

It is a strange coincidence, that 1916 was due to be held in Berlin, 1940 Tokyo & 1944 London, 3 capital cities of 3 of the main combatants of both World Wars.

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes true, however in 1916 & 1944 it had been clear for at least two years beforehand that neither Olympic games were going to go ahead, whereas in 1940, the Japanese hadn't declared war on either Britian or America yet, they were at war with China though in 1940.

It is a strange coincidence, that 1916 was due to be held in Berlin, 1940 Tokyo & 1944 London, 3 capital cities of 3 of the main combatants of both World Wars.

Just to clarify, the 1940 Summer Olympics were originally forfeited by Japan 2 years beforehand, on July 16, 1938, not due to the Second World War but due to the 2nd Sino-Japanese War.

They were then given to the second-place host, Helsinki, but subsequently suspended altogether at the outbreak of WW2.

So, the 1940 Games weren't due to be held in Tokyo when they were suspended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Summer_Olympics

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

You'll definitely loose a significant amount of weight...........they don't feck about at Mortonhall!

:biglaugh:

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just to clarify, the 1940 Summer Olympics were originally forfeited by Japan 2 years beforehand, on July 16, 1938, not due to the Second World War but due to the 2nd Sino-Japanese War.

They were then given to the second-place host, Helsinki, but subsequently suspended altogether at the outbreak of WW2.

So, the 1940 Games weren't due to be held in Tokyo when they were suspended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Summer_Olympics

Memo to self: Don't believe what you hear on the TV, check it out yourself.  😄

Have to admit, I didn't check it out, just believed what I'd heard.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Memo to self: Don't believe what you hear on the TV, check it out yourself.  😄

Have to admit, I didn't check it out, just believed what I'd heard.

To be honest, I had no idea myself before you posted the info, JJ. I'm just a born sceptic and had to check it out. :D

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

To be honest, I had no idea myself before you posted the info, JJ. I'm just a born sceptic and had to check it out. :D

I normally do check things out, on this occasion I didn't.

Learned a long time ago with the Genealogy not to trust just one source, if possible.

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I normally do check things out, on this occasion I didn't.

Learned a long time ago with the Genealogy not to trust just one source, if possible.

By coincidence, exactly what I'm doing in the background at the minute. Perusing old maps of Wigtownshire looking for places mentioned in barely legible OPRs. It's addictive!

Edited by redjambo

just had an e-mail from my employer saying all travel private and business is banned for the whole of Italy as of today.Ihope they will be reimbursing me for my Amalfi holiday in July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

By coincidence, exactly what I'm doing in the background at the minute. Perusing old maps of Wigtownshire looking for places mentioned in barely legible OPRs. It's addictive!

Some are a real pain, especially when written in old Scots and what looks to be like Latin, now they're fun.

Brighton Jambo
13 hours ago, systemx said:

just had an e-mail from my employer saying all travel private and business is banned for the whole of Italy as of today.Ihope they will be reimbursing me for my Amalfi holiday in July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can’t ban you from travelling to Italy in your private time but could punish you on your return.  They could insist you take 14 days to self isolate without pay as you travelled somewhere they had determined as high risk.  

44 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Two more cases announced in Scotland, I don't think they have said where they are as yet.

I was told this morning that both are in Edinburgh. 2nd hand info though.

13 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Had it confirmed to me last night that the Dundee case has been moved to the Western General in Edinburgh

Edited by Spellczech
Wrong quote

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, JamboSpur said:

I believe a maintenance engineer at Heriot Watt 

Drama queen alert again. 

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Drama queen alert again. 

Lick ma lollipop pal

Edited by JamboSpur

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

I believe a maintenance engineer at Heriot Watt 

One from Ayrshire and other Grampian. One had been to Italy and the other had been in contact with a known positive case (not Dundee one)

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Lick ma lollipop pal

It's just you have a history of posting pish.

:lol:

ArcticJambo
22 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Makes you wonder if it ever went away, or was just lying there dormant in their bodies, just waiting to strike again.

If so then the obvious question is, how long could it remain dormant for, days, weeks, months maybe even years, another unknown about Covid-19.

That sounds just like TB.

I P Knightley
19 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Death rate 3.4% according to WHO.. 

I wouldn't trust their forecast. In 1965, they said they hoped they'd die before getting old but only last weekend, Daltrey was celebrating reaching the age of 76. 

Jambo-Jimbo

85 cases in the UK now, according to Sky News, that's up from something like 52 yesterday.

Hundreds by the week-end I'd imagine, which isn't a shock or surprise if there were, judging by the infection rate our countries have experienced.

On a seperate note.

Airlines are shelving many flights, BA, Easyjet, Ryanair, Lufthansa etc etc, number of no shows is a lot now, Ryanair have said that the number of no shows has increased by around about 50% since last week, also Flybe are close to collapse, again, if they go under they won't be the only ones.

26 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I wouldn't trust their forecast. In 1965, they said they hoped they'd die before getting old but only last weekend, Daltrey was celebrating reaching the age of 76. 

🤣

I P Knightley
58 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

On a seperate note.

Airlines are shelving many flights, BA, Easyjet, Ryanair, Lufthansa etc etc, number of no shows is a lot now, Ryanair have said that the number of no shows has increased by around about 50% since last week, also Flybe are close to collapse, again, if they go under they won't be the only ones.

I saw something saying that there had been over 200,000 cancelled flights in and out and around China alone since this all kicked off. If that doesn't put a smile on Greta Thunberg's face, nothing will. 

OmiyaHearts
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That’s quite a big jump in a day for the U.K. it does look and feel like this is going to ramp up pretty quickly. It’s clearly loose and spreading like wildfire. 

Italy closing schools and colleges for a period. You imagine what we see happen in Italy will be repeated here as the spread increases. Whilst they estimate as many as 100k may have it in Italy 😱

Large number of people will be walking about and have no idea they got it. 

The death rate is such that it would seem that we will all know people who will be severely impacted by this. I also do get concerned that Scotland will be a hit a bit harder as we are not the healthiest of nations for a variety of reasons. 

I have just returned from the gym and whilst I wiped the bars down I was lifting with, it kept crossing my mind how many surfaces I’m touching that everyone else has been. It does feel almost impossible to avoid it short of becoming a complete hermit.

It is becoming quite concerning. 

You are really overreacting about this IMO. The death rate outside China is less than 1% overall, it's even dropped to 0.7% in China in cases since 1st Feb.

Most people wont know someone who has died from it and most won't know someone who's had it. Using terms like wildfire, ramp up and big jump won't help your own mentality.

The chances are you wont get it and that's the likeliest outcome, so take it easy. You go to the gym, so I assume relatively healthy, so you prob have a 99.999% chance of survival if you unexpectedly get infected.

Live your life as normal and don't worry about getting the flu. You haven't before, so this shouldn't be any different.

5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Had it confirmed to me last night that the Dundee case has been moved to the Western General in Edinburgh

They have a number of isolation wards , ready for the proverbial trickle to flood . 
Having experienced it, they certainly aren’t taking any chances . 

44 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

You are really overreacting about this IMO. The death rate outside China is less than 1% overall, it's even dropped to 0.7% in China in cases since 1st Feb.

Most people wont know someone who has died from it and most won't know someone who's had it. Using terms like wildfire, ramp up and big jump won't help your own mentality.

The chances are you wont get it and that's the likeliest outcome, so take it easy. You go to the gym, so I assume relatively healthy, so you prob have a 99.999% chance of survival if you unexpectedly get infected.

Live your life as normal and don't worry about getting the flu. You haven't before, so this shouldn't be any different.

It's really not about individuals.You will be alright jack attitude don't sit ok with me , it's who you could potentially pass it onto if you get it that may suffer far worse that I think about.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

That’s quite a big jump in a day for the U.K. it does look and feel like this is going to ramp up pretty quickly. It’s clearly loose and spreading like wildfire. 

Italy closing schools and colleges for a period. You imagine what we see happen in Italy will be repeated here as the spread increases. Whilst they estimate as many as 100k may have it in Italy 😱

The death rate is such that it would seem that we will all know people who will be severely impacted by this. I also do get concerned that Scotland will be a hit a bit harder as we are not the healthiest of nations for a variety of reasons. 

I have just returned from the gym and whilst I wiped the bars down I was lifting with, it kept crossing my mind how many surfaces I’m touching that everyone else has been. It does feel almost impossible to avoid it short of becoming a complete hermit.

Death toll in Italy has increased again today, now 107 deaths from 3089 confirmed cases, that's about a 3.5% mortality rate.

Also a party of 16 Italian tourists have been quarantined in India after testing positive for Covid-19, their Indian tour guide has also tested positive.

How long they have been in India and infectious is anyone's guess.

Brighton Jambo
On 28/02/2020 at 20:38, Irufushi said:

:spoton:

On 28/02/2020 at 16:37, The Real Maroonblood said:

A couple of weeks and it’ll be history.

This prediction is starting to look pretty silly. 

Goons on BBC travel news this morning saying you should still travel to Italy cause it's only in the north

18 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

80 odd cases out of 55 million or so in the uk ? Aye , very silly 🤣

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

image.thumb.png.647ba73d01476fa88d50fa7903ed2c57.png
red= confirmed cases

blue=suspected cases

My geography, like my grammar and spelling, isn’t great. but this is a map of spread and it looks like it’s impacted more than just the north of the country 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know I thought it was pretty irresponsible advice myself.

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

37 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

This

AlphonseCapone
55 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

image.thumb.png.647ba73d01476fa88d50fa7903ed2c57.png
red= confirmed cases

blue=suspected cases

My geography, like my grammar and spelling, isn’t great. but this is a map of spread and it looks like it’s impacted more than just the north of the country 🤷🏻‍♂️

But those red areas could be a single case right? 

OmiyaHearts
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Fair enough but the death rate is 3.5% at the moment, albeit it varies from country to country. Whilst as I say Scotland has higher rates of cardio vascular disease, smoking etc etc so it would likely be a larger impact. 

Phrases  like ‘quite a big jump’ are pretty accurate when something increases by circa third in one day, 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s hardly hyperbolic and will have absolutely no impact on my own mentality,  strange thing to say tbh. What I say or type will have no impact how this things plays out,. 

I stated we all know someone who will be severely impacted by this not die. Not that it really matters all that much,

I will be perfectly fine but like many others it’s more concern about other members of my family, for a variety of reason. I really don’t want to be passing anything on to anyone if I can help it. 

I get what your saying and is important to ‘keep calm and carry on’ however,  let’s not pretend this is like the flu it ain’t. Whilst the consequences to this will be large outside the immoderate health concerns economically it will be massive. 

note: having just googled death rates of flu (0.1%) v Coronavirus 3.5%). 

An average of 600 people die every year in the UK with flu related illnesses. If it gets close to that, which it wont, I still wont be concerned.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

The post didn’t say anything about numbers.  One week ago the post said that in two weeks “it’ll be history”  So yeah that was really silly prediction.

do you really believe, as per your post, that in one week this will all be history?  Really? 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The post didn’t say anything about numbers.  One week ago the post said that in two weeks “it’ll be history”  So yeah that was really silly prediction.

do you really believe, as per your post, that in one week this will all be history?  Really? 

It wasn't a fact it was a hopeful prediction.

I'm a half glass full type of person. 

Hope this helps.

Brighton Jambo
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

It wasn't a fact it was a hopeful prediction.

I'm a half glass full type of person. 

Hope this helps.

Fair enough, I hope you are right too.  

8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I believe I won’t be sat in my living room this time next week pissing my pants over the flu like you are, no.

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

I believe I won’t be sat in my living room this time next week pissing my pants over the flu like you are, no.

I’m totally chilled about it.  It’s just that when people make bold predictions contrary to every one else and get it spectacularly wrong I like to call them out for it.  Insult me all you want but you got it totally wrong and I wanted to remind you of it.  

If hand washing is the answer I know what we have to do just cover the whole of the UK in this until we get rid of it.

11-720x380.jpg

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Drama queen alert apparently 

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, Irufushi said:

C’mon Irufushi, do your bit for the country. To avoid catching or spreading it, you need to distance yourself from folk, find a quiet field, go for a walk in the countryside. Wait a minute🤔

2AE0A49D-DB18-4B2D-AC58-D9EF49C6CF8A.jpeg

Yas, an excuse for more gowf. You jealous of my swing there😉

Edited by luckyBatistuta

J.T.F.Robertson
11 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

That was them talkin' 'bout their generation, this one's different. :) And I doubt you "celebrate" being 76, 'tho it definitely beats the alternative.

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

That was them talkin' 'bout their generation, this one's different. :) And I doubt you "celebrate" being 76, 'tho it definitely beats the alternative.

Oh, there was birthday cake thrown around and everything - unashamed celebration. 

But now I hear talk that the Who might be seeking some advice from WHO on whether to postpone their forthcoming UK tour 😢😷

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic