Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I try not to watch the news , I found it contributed to my feeling down , but has there been a relaxation of the tiers ? 
Reason I ask is today whilst working in the garden , I noticed the traffic outside my house was greater than it’s been for some time , more folk on buses too. It was noticeably busier walking along the canal earlier today , groups of people rather than just a couple. 
My daughter was doing her running around saughton park , she commented on how busy it was .

A relaxation or just folk getting out and about ? 

I think it was maybe just the nice weather and wee bit of Spring in the air, but I know what you mean. Traffic looked heavier than it has been for ages and loads more people out on the streets today I thought.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Spring has sprung.

It was a nice day for doing lots of things, but we are restricted by so many places being closed, when many would otherwise go shopping, watch football or similar.  Most people have to limit themselves to walking in popular spots. 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I try not to watch the news , I found it contributed to my feeling down , but has there been a relaxation of the tiers ? 
Reason I ask is today whilst working in the garden , I noticed the traffic outside my house was greater than it’s been for some time , more folk on buses too. It was noticeably busier walking along the canal earlier today , groups of people rather than just a couple. 
My daughter was doing her running around saughton park , she commented on how busy it was .

I can’t remember the last time I watched the Scottish or English news..

There does seem to be a lot of folk at the moment.

Probably after the crap weather people enjoying a bit sunshine.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Weakened Offender
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Try a bit of bigger picture thinking, WO - some happy Christmases in an otherwise miserable 2020 for many, plus, bit more elbow room around the dinner table next Christmas and not forgetting one or two (depending on how many auld duffers folk ended up inviting round) fewer presents to have to waste time and money on. Well planned, coordinated and executed strategy from the four UK governments and the population.   

I'm not really that fussed tbh, I just thought 'for whom the Jingle Bells toll' was a good line. 😉

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'd guess that we've reached a tipping point in relation to compliance - the better weather, the lack of optimism from the SG, the mixed messages from London, the long hard winter we're almost out of, the basic human need for contact with others and not to be confined to their four walls all mean that the only folk still following things to the letter are probably doing themselves and their loved ones more harm than good.

The SG have been sending out optimistic messages, particularly regarding a third of the adult population being vaccinated. Just because it doesn't tie in with the consistently deliberate mixed messages from London doesn't mean to say its pessimistic. 

😊

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Did you make it up all by yourself? If so, a pat on the back indeed.

Perhaps when the governments' arbitrary and cruel restrictions are lifted, we can enjoy A Farewell to Harms.

Took me two months to come up with it. 🤓

Just now, jonesy said:

I hear Boris and Priti were roaming the streets, kidnapping pensioners and taking them to a church hall where they forced them to play Twister from the 24th-26th.

wouldn’t put it past them like 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
48 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You can add the "Kent variant" as contributing to the spike in cases and subsequently deaths.  The EU managed to avoid that variant for the most part, at least during the UK spike. 

careful that’s straying into the suburbs of analysis territory

we don’t like such things round these parts 

Weakened Offender
Just now, Hesh said:

The only shocking decision were made by individuals 

That's completely ridiculous. I'm not saying individuals didn't make shocking decisions but for you to blame the outcome of the decision to 'save Christmas' on 'individuals' is imbecile behaviour. 

I include the SG in that too, they clearly knew what was coming and didn't have the balls to try and prevent it. 

Weakened Offender
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

:rofl:Come on man

They have. You've just chosen not to interpret them in an optimistic fashion because they don't suit your 'I must visit my tinkervan' timeline. 😉

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

That's completely ridiculous. I'm not saying individuals didn't make shocking decisions but for you to blame the outcome of the decision to 'save Christmas' on 'individuals' is imbecile behaviour. 

I include the SG in that too, they clearly knew what was coming and didn't have the balls to try and prevent it. 

Sorry can’t deal with stupidly like yours anymore. 

I spoke with my over 80s mother and we agreed not to get together for our health, why couldn’t others make the same decision.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I hear Boris and Priti were roaming the streets, kidnapping pensioners and taking them to a church hall where they forced them to play Twister from the 24th-26th.

Yes, everyone was grown up enough to make their own decisions. The vast majority of families will have enjoyed Christmas with family with no Covid implications whatsoever.  Some may well have passed it on to family members who may have become seriously ill while others, with family members with limited life expectancy for non- Covid reasons, may well have enjpyed a final Christmas together. Individual choices. Non-contextualised graphs are not really helpful.

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

They have. You've just chosen not to interpret them in an optimistic fashion because they don't suit your 'I must visit my tinkervan' timeline. 😉

I actually agree with you to a point. Most of their policies are shit and they are useless at the day job, so I probably do have a biased view.

Regards the caravan, I'll be going when Boris says it's ok :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They only got the pensioners to play it as those two fat barstewards are too big to play the game.  Imagine those two trying to fit on the board

Weakened Offender
18 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Sorry can’t deal with stupidly like yours anymore. 

I spoke with my over 80s mother and we agreed not to get together for our health, why couldn’t others make the same decision.

So you and your mother agreed it wasn't a good idea but you don't think the prime minister saying it was a good idea is an issue? 

Weakened Offender
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I actually agree with you to a point. Most of their policies are shit and they are useless at the day job, so I probably do have a biased view.

Regards the caravan, I'll be going when Boris says it's ok :thumbsup:

Crack on, I genuinely hope you have a lovely time Nucky. 

So you and your mother agreed it wasn't a good idea but you don't think the prime minister saying it was a good idea is an issue? 

Did the PM say it was a "good idea"?

Did he say it was a bad idea? 

Evening WO. You indicated that the PM had said it was "a good idea" to meet up at Christmas. As it happens , it was for most families, but just wondered if Boris had said that??

Weakened Offender
20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Evening WO. You indicated that the PM had said it was "a good idea" to meet up at Christmas. As it happens , it was for most families, but just wondered if Boris had said that??

Evening Enzo. I hope you're having a nice evening. 

On December 16th Boris Johnson announced that 3 families could form bubbles and  meet up indoors to celebrate Christmas, including  overnight stays for up to 4 days, 23rd to 27th. 

He smiled and told the nation that himself. 

😊

10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Evening Enzo. I hope you're having a nice evening. 

On December 16th Boris Johnson announced that 3 families could form bubbles and  meet up indoors to celebrate Christmas, including  overnight stays for up to 4 days, 23rd to 27th. 

He smiled and told the nation that himself. 

😊

So he didn’t say it was a good idea then. Glad we cleared that up. 👍

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

So he didn’t say it was a good idea then. Glad we cleared that up. 👍

Let me ask you what kind of leader would tell a nation it was OK for 3 families to meet up indoors for 4 days, including overnight stays, during a pandemic if he thought it was a bad idea? 

Take your time. 😉

Edited by Weakened Offender

Let me ask you what kind of leader would tell a nation it was OK for 3 families to meet up indoors for 4 days, including overnight stays, during a pandemic if he thought it was a bad idea? 

Take your time. 😉

You can ask anything you want. You said he said it was it a good idea, he didn’t. Whether it was a good idea or a bad idea isn’t up for debate. 

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You can ask anything you want. You said he said it was it a good idea, he didn’t. Whether it was a good idea or a bad idea isn’t up for debate. 

It seems I can ask you a question but you'll likely not answer it. 

Why did Boris Johnson say it was OK to meet up indoors if he didn't think it was a good idea? 

He either thinks it's a good idea or thinks it's not a good idea but OKs it anyway. What's going there, and in your head? 

He was told it wasn't a good idea but still cracked on with it anyway. 

So again, I will ask you. If he didn't think it was a good idea, why did he tell the nation it was OK to do it? 

Edited by Weakened Offender

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

It seems I can ask you a question but you'll likely not answer it. 

Why did Boris Johnson say it was OK to meet up indoors if he didn't think it was a good idea? 

He either thinks it's a good idea or thinks it's not a good idea but OKs it anyway. What's going there, and in your head? 

He was told it wasn't a good idea but still cracked on with it anyway. 

So again, I will ask you. If he didn't think it was a good idea, why did he tell the nation it was OK to do it? 

He did but he urged people not to. I guess it’s all about some self responsibility. It wasn’t a good idea and anyone decided otherwise should take responsibility for that not look to blame Boris. We haven’t seen both our parents for some time despite being told we could. 

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He did but he urged people not to. I guess it’s all about some self responsibility. It wasn’t a good idea and anyone decided otherwise should take responsibility for that not look to blame Boris. We haven’t seen both our parents for some time despite being told we could. 

Did he urge people not to do what he'd said was allowed, a clear easing of restrictions, because he thought it was a good idea or a bad idea? 

Toxteth O'Grady
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

The SG have been sending out optimistic messages, particularly regarding a third of the adult population being vaccinated. Just because it doesn't tie in with the consistently deliberate mixed messages from London doesn't mean to say its pessimistic. 

😊

They have said that after 4 months of lockdown (Jan-Apr) and about 2 million vaccines, we will get back to level 3 (where we were in December) at the end of April. Where is the optimism in that?

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

Did he urge people not to do what he'd said was allowed, a clear easing of restrictions, because he thought it was a good idea or a bad idea? 

Just because you are allowed to do something it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Not sure why you are struggling with this. He allowed people to do it and he didn’t say it was a good idea. Contradictory? Absolutely. Welcome to the world of world leaders. 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

They have said that after 4 months of lockdown (Jan-Apr) and about 2 million vaccines, we will get back to level 3 (where we were in December) at the end of April. Where is the optimism in that?

They have been very optimistic about the vaccination figures despite being asked repeatedly by the media why they were lagging behind other nations when in fact they weren't. They were following a different path that has been lauded by other experts. 

They also were optimistic about the summer onwards. 

They have simply been compared to what London said a day earlier. Which has been questioned and  criticised by many. 

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Just because you are allowed to do something it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Not sure why you are struggling with this. He allowed people to do it and he didn’t say it was a good idea. Contradictory? Absolutely. Welcome to the world of world leaders. 

I'm not struggling with it. You are. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm not struggling with it. You are. 

Am I ? I take responsibility for my family and my actions and we’ve done ok. I’m not looking to blame anyone so not sure what I’m struggling with. Looks like we’ve reached a dead end. 👍

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Am I ? I take responsibility for my family and my actions and we’ve done ok. I’m not looking to blame anyone so not sure what I’m struggling with. Looks like we’ve reached a dead end. 👍

I never asked you about any of those things but I'm pleased to hear you're doing OK. 

Toxteth O'Grady
10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

They have been very optimistic about the vaccination figures despite being asked repeatedly by the media why they were lagging behind other nations when in fact they weren't. They were following a different path that has been lauded by other experts. 

They also were optimistic about the summer onwards. 

They have simply been compared to what London said a day earlier. Which has been questioned and  criticised by many. 

What have they said officially about after April 26? 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

What have they said officially about after April 26? 

They said that measures would be lifted in a way that would allow them to continue in a way that was sustainable. 

Is that not optimistic? 

Here's a little story for any anti-vaxers: I know a nurse who has had both vaccine injections. Went round to a friend's elderly neighbour's house to give the old lady a test. Somewhat stupidly, both entered the room unmasked but the friend stayed in opposite corner. The old lady was positive and died in hospital a couple of weeks later. The vaccinated nurse who administered the test was fine. The friend who stayed at other side of room got Covid and was very unwell for a fortnight, almost to the point of needing admitted to hospital herself...

Above isn't a grapevine story - I got it straight from the horse's mouth and saw photos of both the old lady and the friend in their beds looking very unwell.

HamishMcGonagall

Has anyone had, or know someone who has had, the vaccine at EICC and can tell me which vaccine is being used there? Can't find anything definitive online. Thanks.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Has anyone had, or know someone who has had, the vaccine at EICC and can tell me which vaccine is being used there? Can't find anything definitive online. Thanks.

My sister had hers there and she got the Oxford AZ vaccine

Seeing a lot more people out and about over the last few days, since the weather improving.

I hope we don't see an upsurge in cases because of it.

39 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Oxford Astra-Zeneca. Pfizer is only really being given to care homes and NHS because of the -70C fridges

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seeing a lot more people out and about over the last few days, since the weather improving.

I hope we don't see an upsurge in cases because of it.

Spring has sprung Jimbo.

I was down at the beach at Longniddry bents this morning and the car park was fairly busy, but I never saw anybody at their cars.

The tide was away out and there was a mass of open space, so you didn't need to get within 500 meters of anyone.

The chance of outside transmission is low so I don't think we'll see any surge :thumbsup:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Here's a little story for any anti-vaxers: I know a nurse who has had both vaccine injections. Went round to a friend's elderly neighbour's house to give the old lady a test. Somewhat stupidly, both entered the room unmasked but the friend stayed in opposite corner. The old lady was positive and died in hospital a couple of weeks later. The vaccinated nurse who administered the test was fine. The friend who stayed at other side of room got Covid and was very unwell for a fortnight, almost to the point of needing admitted to hospital herself...

Above isn't a grapevine story - I got it straight from the horse's mouth and saw photos of both the old lady and the friend in their beds looking very unwell.

do you genuinely think this story in isolation proves anything?

HamishMcGonagall
11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Oxford Astra-Zeneca. Pfizer is only really being given to care homes and NHS because of the -70C fridges

Thanks Spellczech

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic