Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The backlash to Hitchens from the smiley face brigade was hilarious. A sell out apparently.

Whilst he has been consistently wrong and disingenuous about lockdown and selective in his evidence, he never gave indication he thought Covid was a hoax or was anti vaxxer.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dagger Is Back
52 minutes ago, Barack said:

The one Brazilian who couldn't be arsed filling in their tracer form, should be heftily fined. Wherever the **** they are now in the UK. Probably at work!

Those at immigration, should also have their arse felt, for not properly scrutinising the documents of said plagued individual.

Whoever it is, a monetary fine ain’t enough for me. 

As far as Immigration are concerned it hardly fills you with confidence does it?

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes that was Peter Hitchens he got a load of pelters for it apparently

Peter Hitchens is a ****.

20 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

As far as Immigration are concerned it hardly fills you with confidence does it?

Immigration officials are carrying out very thorough checks on all new arrivals.

tenor.gif

Weakened Offender
25 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The backlash to Hitchens from the smiley face brigade was hilarious. A sell out apparently.

Whilst he has been consistently wrong and disingenuous about lockdown and selective in his evidence, he never gave indication he thought Covid was a hoax or was anti vaxxer.

Hitchens is a bitter arse piece. His brother was the only Hitchens worth listening to, even if he did sell out a bit. 

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Differs from person to person. I felt rank for about 12 hours after the Astra Zeneca, as did my mum, but my dad was completely fine.

I had a sore arm for 2 days but no other problems

millerjames398
4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Their Best Ever Steak Pies are a ridiculous. 

image.jpeg.da42f2ca927072ab12c1025052fe38c0.jpeg

My gran used to get me the chicken in tomato and basil sauce, with the cheezy garlic bread on top from Mark's, an absolute treat..their chicken kievs were fantastic as well🤤😂

30 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I can see why the conspiritards with their Bill Gates - Microchips - Agenda 21 bullshit feel used as they didn't ever twig that he's played them all like a fiddle from the off for his own gain. It was quite amusing to watch it dawn on them that they'd been had and all jumping on him on social media. Hitchens might be a bare-faced hypocrite, huffilly rolling up his sleeve for the jag like a petulant child having to eat their veg before they get a pudding given he has probably never written a single column complaining about holiday vaccinations in the past, but he definitely won't give a shiny **** what any of them think.

Unfortunately, the lesson he's doled out to them about their stupendous, cavernous gullibility will be lost on them all. 

Footballfirst
56 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

14 days in solitary at a local prison would be an effective isolation protocol.

Edited by Footballfirst

Governor Tarkin
48 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Hitchens is a bitter arse piece. His brother was the only Hitchens worth listening to, even if he did sell out a bit. 

:spoton:

Dagger Is Back
20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

14 days in solitary at a local prison would be an effective isolation protocol.

I’d settle for that. I think crucifixion is a step too far 

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

If these people just admitted they don't like being told what to do.

They just haven't told us how many more deaths is acceptable. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

If these people just admitted they don't like being told what to do.

They just haven't told us how many more deaths is acceptable. 

I suspect the answer is however many it takes just so they can go get their hair-cut or lawn seed for their grass, anytime I've heard these types interviewed its almost always trivial self-centred crap they are pissed about, not nuanced commentary on the wider ramifications of lockdown v mental health/other health issues or similar. I miss the days when they foamed at the gash about smart meters. 

Weakened Offender
13 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:spoton:

I do love a bit of pre-911 Hitch. His Mother Teresa stuff is an absolute joy. 😊

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

He didn't miss Ghandi either. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Christopher Hitchens was an excellent writer.  Read Hitch 22, what a wordsmith.  

Weakened Offender
21 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He didn't miss Ghandi either. :lol:

I haven't heard much of that but I might do a wee search. 

He once savaged a respected Rabbi on the issue of circumcision, comparing it to female genitalia mutation, during a talk in America. Magnificent stuff. 

His head-to-head with The Lesser Hitchens is a two hours well spent too. 

He came off second best to Galloway, mind. 

Weakened Offender
21 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Christopher Hitchens was an excellent writer.  Read Hitch 22, what a wordsmith.  

I've only watched recordings, never read anything. 

I've read Catch 22 though. 😁

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

I suspect the answer is however many it takes just so they can go get their hair-cut or lawn seed for their grass, anytime I've heard these types interviewed its almost always trivial self-centred crap they are pissed about, not nuanced commentary on the wider ramifications of lockdown v mental health/other health issues or similar. I miss the days when they foamed at the gash about smart meters. 

FF did a bit of commentary on the lifting of lockdown in England - 50,000 future deaths were predicted as a result of returning to normality - that wasn’t a worst case figure either unlike many of the other headline figures

anyone returning to normality in England are in effect accepting that cost in death numbers to get their hair cut etc

be interesting how Scotland approaches things - I can see why they’re stalling

be interesting how the public react - wouldn’t surprise me if a large amount of the public don’t accept that cost and campaign for the elimination strategy - 50,000 future deaths in return for a haircut and a pint the good people of the internet won’t buy that

5 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Ok, I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine on Friday, very impressed with how efficiently it was all over with in 20 minutes at the EICC.

And to be honest, no side effects worth complaining about, to be honest I've had worse hangovers.

However, @Dorothy got the Moderna one in America on Thursday (I know its been allowed, but don't think its reached UK yet), and she's been as sick as a Toto since.

I know they gave me the opportunity on Friday to state if I wished a different jab than the one offered, so if anyone is susceptible to side effects after vaccinations, Id bear it in mind. 

I had the AZ jab and 12 hours later I honestly felt like I had the flu.  I was really surprised at how bad I felt for 48 hours. I've heard stories from others who've suffered, some even worse than me.

On the other hand, the missus had it and apart from a sore arm was fine. 

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

I've read Catch 22 though. 😁

It's the other way round for me. Seen bits of the film catch 22 but not read the book.  

His use of the English language is excellent but not boring.  A great read.  

Back on topic...

3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Yeah his brother was a far more engaging and interesting listen/read.

Well, bar Iraq.

There is a debate between the two of them online about religion which is worth a watch.

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

That is a good point. There is room for nuanced debate on lockdown and the wider health and economic impact but these loons because they hate lockdown, just extend that to all Government actions including taking the vaccine, even though that is a path to return to the normality they crave. I don't get that logic at all.

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

FF did a bit of commentary on the lifting of lockdown in England - 50,000 future deaths were predicted as a result of returning to normality - that wasn’t a worst case figure either unlike many of the other headline figures

anyone returning to normality in England are in effect accepting that cost in death numbers to get their hair cut etc

be interesting how Scotland approaches things - I can see why they’re stalling

be interesting how the public react - wouldn’t surprise me if a large amount of the public don’t accept that cost and campaign for the elimination strategy - 50,000 future deaths in return for a haircut and a pint the good people of the internet won’t buy that

50k future deaths? Over what period? Scientific modelling has no context whatsoever and always assumes the maximum number of people are susceptible to getting Covid. All the doom ridden early predictions about 500k deaths were based on 80% of the population catching the virus.  According to official figures, 4m, 1 in 15 have tested positive, about a tenth of the predicted numbers.

The vaccines will reduce the risk of catching, transmitting and falling seriously ill with the virus for the vast majority. Job done.  

Turning your argument on it's head, would the public accept crashing the economy,  a mental health crisis, thousands of unavoidable cancer deaths, sacrificing the future of a generation of children and thousands of businesses...just to "save" 0.001% of the population. I doubt it.

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

God is not Great is a good read. 👍

manaliveits105
12 hours ago, Barack said:

The one Brazilian who couldn't be arsed filling in their tracer form, should be heftily fined. Wherever the **** they are now in the UK. Probably at work!

Those at immigration, should also have their arse felt, for not properly scrutinising the documents of said plagued individual.

Its ok Piers and Suzanna are busy shouting over each other to demand answers from the vaccines minister 

Piers the man  who took his family to the carribean at Christmas apparently worried about letting variants in before hotel quarantining came in.

Morgan had started by asking him what his views over Harry and Megans privacy were and where the line should be drawn over privacy - there arent enough face palms that the man who should have been jailed for phone hacking asked the question .

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Its ok Piers and Suzanna are busy shouting over each other to demand answers from the vaccines minister 

Piers the man  who took his family to the carribean at Christmas apparently worried about letting variants in before hotel quarantining came in.

Morgan had started by asking him what his views over Harry and Megans privacy were and where the line should be drawn over privacy - there arent enough face palms that the man who should have been jailed for phone hacking asked the question .

He has absolutely no self awareness.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

50k future deaths? Over what period? Scientific modelling has no context whatsoever and always assumes the maximum number of people are susceptible to getting Covid. All the doom ridden early predictions about 500k deaths were based on 80% of the population catching the virus.  According to official figures, 4m, 1 in 15 have tested positive, about a tenth of the predicted numbers.

The vaccines will reduce the risk of catching, transmitting and falling seriously ill with the virus for the vast majority. Job done.  

Turning your argument on it's head, would the public accept crashing the economy,  a mental health crisis, thousands of unavoidable cancer deaths, sacrificing the future of a generation of children and thousands of businesses...just to "save" 0.001% of the population. I doubt it.

i think the end period for those deaths was June 2022 - so 1 year from lifting restrictions

this projection is not a worst-case scenario unlike many others but ur correct it is a projection with multiple assumptions

i agree your comments regarding context but after all the sacrifices and the great progress on the vaccine front did we expect in the region of another 50% deaths again before it settles down to whatever it settles down too?

i don’t have a strong opinion on it other that I think many will have based on their past support for the nhs and those at risk 

as you’ve pointed out before the government should be exercising the will of the people not the other way around as it has been so we may see a return to that with the public not accepting another 50% deaths as a suitable price to pay

time will tell 

Enzo Chiefo
12 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

i think the end period for those deaths was June 2022 - so 1 year from lifting restrictions

this projection is not a worst-case scenario unlike many others but ur correct it is a projection with multiple assumptions

i agree your comments regarding context but after all the sacrifices and the great progress on the vaccine front did we expect in the region of another 50% deaths again before it settles down to whatever it settles down too?

i don’t have a strong opinion on it other that I think many will have based on their past support for the nhs and those at risk 

as you’ve pointed out before the government should be exercising the will of the people not the other way around as it has been so we may see a return to that with the public not accepting another 50% deaths as a suitable price to pay

time will tell 

Yes, fair points MMM. But if they are modelling 50k deaths then you can be sure it will be a lot lower, based on predictions to date. In Scotland,  for example,  we are already more than 2 weeks ahead of the predicted reduction in hospital numbers modelled.

I think the point is that deaths are not something that should be traded with the freedoms of the population.  It is a matter for govts and the NHS to ensure there is sufficient funding and capacity in place. 

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You are, I suspect and hope, too intelligent to post that. You know that childhood obesity and illness (both of which can be caused by lack of outdoor exercise) can have long term consequences for both the individual (quality and length of life), their families (burden of care) and wider society (public spending on treatments and supporting those who cannot work).  

The bit in bold seems to be the only thing that's relevant/matters anymore. There's a drive for everyone to live hugely long lives regardless of what that and that of others quality of life was. "Tough luck kids, you can go outside in the future, we've got lives to prolong" just highlights that mindset imo.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Depends on the pints and the quality of the haircut.

A few scoops of fizzy pisswater and a quick once over with the clippers by some Syrian pretending he's Turkish? Keep me at home.

A lost weekend of debauchery fuelled by some decent IPA and one of those Polish bursds that pulls your head back into her cleavage as she trims your fringe? 50,000 is a small price to pay.

Lol 😂 we were watching a film on Saturday night at a friends . He invited us for a meal . Anyway there was a club scene in it . I mean a disco / club ! And I had a real pang for this ! Just brought back the things we have missed really . The drinks in a bar first with a group of mates , then heading to a club , entering it hearing the music pumping , packed with people all enjoying themselves on whatever substance they were on , not a care in the world . A great communal exhilarating experience ( most of the time )  then the Carry on getting home and maybe some more drinks etc once home . Is it really wrong to miss this ? However don’t miss the hangovers 

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You are, I suspect and hope, too intelligent to post that. You know that childhood obesity and illness (both of which can be caused by lack of outdoor exercise) can have long term consequences for both the individual (quality and length of life), their families (burden of care) and wider society (public spending on treatments and supporting those who cannot work).  

Nobody is stopping kids from going outdoors for exercise.

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

An extract from the Imperial College modelling which was input to the Government's decision making a couple of weeks ago. The Government actually went further than the scenarios modelled by proposing the lifting of all restrictions four weeks earlier than modelled in Scenarios 5a and 5b, which are closest to the current plans in England.

Summary
1. Due to eligibility and vaccine hesitancy, vaccination alone will not be sufficient to keep the epidemic under control. NPIs must be lifted slowly and cautiously to minimise the number of deaths and prevent high hospital occupancy, with some baseline NPIs remaining in place (and adhered to) throughout 2021 and beyond.
2. It is critical to achieve and maintain high vaccine uptake and roll out before easing NPIs.
3. Assuming optimistic vaccine efficacy, even if 3.2M vaccine doses/week are given up to 12 July (3.9M thereafter), only 46% of the population will be protected against disease (due to vaccination or recovery from infection) at the date of full NPI lifting in scenario 1 (26 April 2021), 60% in scenario 4 (2 August), and 65% in scenario 5a (16 July) (Fig 1A).
4. Relaxing too quickly (scenario 1) will result in peak hospital occupancy considerably higher than the current wave and substantial additional deaths (Fig 1E-F). This holds regardless of vaccine efficacy, roll out, adherence to baseline NPIs, and impact of seasonality.
5. Scenario 4 will still result in a substantial additional number of deaths (58,200, 95%CrI 31,000 - 95,300) by June 2022 in our main analysis.
6. Scenarios 5a and 5b where NPIs return to Tier-1 like restrictions on 27th April and 11th May 2021, and are fully lifted on 16th July 2021, result in a smaller but prolonged wave of hospitalisations compared to the current wave, and lead to an additional 55,000 (95%CrI:33,200 - 81,200) and 54,800 (95%CrI: 32,600 - 82,900) deaths, respectively.
7. Our results are highly dependent on the assumed (optimistic) vaccine efficacy, uptake, and roll-out speed. Due to the uncertainty surrounding these assumptions, it is critical to rapidly assess the true effectiveness of vaccination within the population as it may be lower than clinical efficacy reported in trial settings. Our results also assume no loss of infection- or vaccine-induced immunity on the time horizon of the analysis. Characterising the duration of vaccine-immunity will be critically important.
8. With a lower vaccine efficacy, all scenarios would lead to a third wave of hospitalisations larger than or comparable in magnitude to the current wave (Fig 3-A2).
9. A return to higher transmissibility levels after NPIs are lifted will also lead to a third wave of hospitalisations comparable in magnitude to the current wave (Fig 3-A1). Therefore, whilst the impact of Test Trace Isolate (TTI), mask wearing, hand hygiene, and COVID security on R is difficult to quantify, it will be vital to emphasise the importance of normalising and ensuring adherence to all measures even after “full lifting” is achieved.
10. Assessing the impact of each relaxation before committing to the next phase is critical. Impact of waning immunity and other VOC is particularly difficult to assess at present. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Blame shite parenting if a kid manages to somehow rapidly become obese during lockdown, don't blame the lockdown itself.

"Oh we were told to stay indoors except for exercise, so I locked my kid in the house and fed them crisps and cake all day long"

Edited by Ray Gin

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

time will tell 

And flu deaths ? Where will there be added to ? 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Tragic . Children will probably have to worse long term outcome from this pandemic . They have been psychologically tortured by the mass media and frightened that just by living they might “‘kill their granny “ what message is that to send to them? Yes many are resilient but many will struggle to be “ fixed “ again . We are creating a massive store up of psychological  problems for them in teenage years and adult life .  Studies are very clear about the impact of trauma on child and how this impacts on them in adult life 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

And flu deaths ? Where will there be added to ? 

Tragic . Children will probably have to worse long term outcome from this pandemic . They have been psychologically tortured by the mass media and frightened that just by living they might “‘kill their granny “ what message is that to send to them? Yes many are resilient but many will struggle to be “ fixed “ again . We are creating a massive store up of psychological  problems for them in teenage years and adult life .  Studies are very clear about the impact of trauma on child and how this impacts on them in adult life 

Psychologically tortured by the mass media 😂

JudyJudyJudy

Christopher Hitchens certainly was a great social commentator . I admire his body of work and his views on a variety of topics . I also admire Norman Finknlestein who also doesn’t take any prisoners and totally rips to shreds some idiots and their understanding of some

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Blame shite parenting if a kid manages to somehow rapidly become obese during lockdown, don't blame the lockdown itself.

"Oh we were told to stay indoors except for exercise, so I locked my kid in the house and fed them crisps and cake all day long"

Jonesy and I are referring to not just weight issues but psychological issues something which you seem to lack awareness of in regards to children or any empathy it seems judging from those current posts 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Jonesy and I are referring to not just weight issues but psychological issues something which you seem to lack awareness of in regards to children or any empathy it seems judging from those current posts 

I think you are overplaying the "trauma" of having a couple of months of lockdown (where they are still allowed to go outside for exercise).

It's hardly akin to the trauma of watching your mother being run over by a lorry or being fiddled by a priest, is it? They'll be back to school in a few weeks. They'll be fine.

Captain Sausage
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I think you are overplaying the "trauma" of having a couple of months of lockdown (where they are still allowed to go outside for exercise).

It's hardly akin to the trauma of watching your mother being run over by a lorry or being fiddled by a priest, is it? They'll be back to school in a few weeks. They'll be fine.

:lol: what a shite take. 

A couple of months is now 12 months. My 9 month old daughter cries whenever she is spoken to by anyone but her immediate family as she isn’t used to other people. 

My toddler cannot spend time with his pals from school outside of school or at weekends and it’s been like this virtually throughout the pandemic. 

Anyone who doesn’t think the pandemic will have an enormous impact on the younger kids is an idiot. They’re all having it drummed into them that there’s this silent killer that means they can’t be near friends, they can’t hug family, they can’t share anything with each other will inevitably have long term psychological impacts. 

But hey, they’ve not witnessed a parent die or been sexually abused so they’ll be right as rain. **** off. 

Just now, Captain Sausage said:

A couple of months is now 12 months. My 9 month old daughter cries whenever she is spoken to by anyone but her immediate family as she isn’t used to other people. 

My toddler cannot spend time with his pals from school outside of school or at weekends and it’s been like this virtually throughout the pandemic. 

Anyone who doesn’t think the pandemic will have an enormous impact on the younger kids is an idiot. They’re all having it drummed into them that there’s this silent killer that means they can’t be near friends, they can’t hug family, they can’t share anything with each other will inevitably have long term psychological impacts. 

But hey, they’ve not witnessed a parent die or been sexually abused so they’ll be right as rain. **** off. 

There are loads of kids who suffer from serious illness and as a result can't see other kids for months while they recover in hospital. I've not seen any reports of these kids then carrying psychological issues for life as result.

7 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Re: your 9 month old daughter. That sounds exactly like my niece at 9 months old. Way before the pandemic. And my nephew before her. 

She'll remember nothing of this whole experience so you don't need to worry about her being an emotional wreck for the rest of her life. 

Edited by Ray Gin

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Very well said 👍 sorry to hear of the impact on your kids . I’ll be meeting my 9 years old nephew later and there has been a change in him in the last year . He’s more withdrawn and worried I feel . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic