Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

East Lothian Jambo
2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Sports direct have changed their mind. Stores won’t open. 

Mike Ashley is a parasite 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Imagine being a nurse,doctor or you work in a supermarket etc.Jump on the train or on the bus and it’s jam packed with people who aren’t in essential work!I’d imagine being a bit pissed.Sites need closed ASAP and wages subsidised for the time being.

10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

And my post was saying the idea of a choice betwen a dishwasher and a washing machine seemed a bit exotic to me. And that using a laundrette (had to)  was hardly a hardship. 

It was a pain in the ass, not a hardship. Jesus, you could pick a fight in a an empty room going by this thread...The point was about how not having a washing machine meant laundrettes were essential (even if inconvenient)

Edited by Spellczech

19 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Sports direct have changed their mind. Stores won’t open. 

Got himself and sports direct some free advertising and exposure though... there’s no depths the man won’t sink to for that!

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Lockdown...

Social media so probs from a year ago and just propoganda.

gashauskis9
36 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

If you don't know what you're talking about don"t say anything mate. The city has been empty for more than a week. The problem on the tube yesterday was largely caused by construction workers. For some reason the major building companies think they know better.

I was referring to the morons who are either putting their staff at risk or themselves are ignoring the restrictions.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Social media so probs from a year ago and just propoganda.

There are plenty other accounts sharing similar experiences.

3 minutes ago, stevie said:

Imagine being a nurse,doctor or you work in a supermarket etc.Jump on the train or on the bus and it’s jam packed with people who aren’t in essential work!I’d imagine being a bit pissed.Sites need closed ASAP and wages subsidised for the time being.

Somone who gets it. Why are the sites open? because they're owned by Tory donors and their pals. There are also an army of low paid cleaners and other nonvessential workers who go to work because they are scared of losing their jobs.  The govt. must target the firms and not the individuals. They must also ensure these workers get what they're entitled to when off. Never underestimate the employers ability to take advanrage of people in these situations.

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Got himself and sports direct some free advertising and exposure though... there’s no depths the man won’t sink to for that!

His staff are on zero hours contracts, so he gets to appear the good guy whilst being the bad guy...

3 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I was referring to the morons who are either putting their staff at risk or themselves are ignoring the restrictions.

Apologies, I'm a bit up tight because my wife is struggling through all this to care for covid patients.

4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

There are plenty other accounts sharing similar experiences.

Could be true but I made a personal rule years ago. Believe nothing from Twitter or Facebook.

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Somone who gets it. Why are the sites open? because they're owned by Tory donors and their pals. There are also an army of low paid cleaners and other nonvessential workers who go to work because they are scared of losing their jobs.  The govt. must target the firms and not the individuals. They must also ensure these workers get what they're entitled to when off. Never underestimate the employers ability to take advanrage of people in these situations.

Sorry but in this situation cleaners are essential. Apparently the virus can survive on surfaces for 3 days. All those guys walking around spraying Italy would indicate that cleaning is important. 

40 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

He thinks because they sell exercise equipment, that makes his employees key workers. There are plenty ways for people to exercise without equipment.

The guy is money grabbing arsehole!

Yes just read about it 

He should be made to shut his shops and arrested if he doesn’t 

Also once all this is over everyone should boycott his stores 

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

It's a non-essential. So be it. There's much higher priorities. Personal entertainment isn't one.

57 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Aye, it is starting to get me down. All this self ejaculation is making me stir crazy.

Self isolation, self isolation!I mean!

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Sigh, did I say it was essential? 

No, you didn't, but what would you personally regard as essential?

13 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

There has never been anything like this. If you don't get this is a historic event which is unparalleled in living memory you're not in touch with reality.

You think the entire globe is so stupid they're instituting draconian measures which will have a massively detrimental effect on economies for years to come simply due to panic. Your stupidity is frankly mind boggling.

And if it's the rest of the world who are stupid well you get out there informing them with your genius insight as Italy creeps closer towards a thousand dead in  a day. We need geniuses like you in this mix.

How can you say Coronavirus is worse than the HIV/AIDS epidemic? (Which is in living memory). Sorry but you need to back that up with some justification. 

I do not think the entire world is stupid. I 100% think that Coronavirus is a threat, and one which we should treat with caution. However, there have been 14 deaths in Scotland; do I think we should heavily strip people or their Civil Liberties and self destruct our economy on the back of 14 deaths - I am not fully convinced. 

You failed to address my point of how you have calculated the likely millions that are going to die from this virus. Have you got any data or justification to back it up?

gashauskis9
2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Apologies, I'm a bit up tight because my wife is struggling through all this to care for covid patients.

You don’t have to apologise mate, I think we’re all going through various emotions at the moment.  Massive massive respect from me for anyone in the NHS or families of those in the NHS trying to cope with this 👍.

Fitzroy Pointon

Question to dad's who have contact with their kids.  

Michael Gove said explicitly on Good Morning Britain that parents who have contact with their kids but don't live with them should cease all contact from now on.  He then said, ten minutes later that he had got it wrong and they can have contact.  

What do you plan to do?  I am pretty confused with it to say the least.  

13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Oh I don't know about that. 

article-8120631-26072646-962_636x604.jpg

Don't try to bring rational facts into this. Guys like JFK will tell you how stupid you are. 

I’ve seen the photos from down in London but the trains up here are empty 

You can sometimes have whole coach to yourself 

1 minute ago, John Gentleman said:

No, you didn't, but what would you personally regard as essential?

Anything that affects health and wellbeing I guess.

You may laugh though but entertainment is also quite important right now in times of effectively solitary confinement.

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

Michael Gove said explicitly on Good Morning Britain that parents who have contact with their kids but don't live with them should cease all contact from now on.  He then said, ten minutes later that he had got it wrong and they can have contact.  

He just confirmed on BBC and apologised for the lack of clarity. If child is under 18 they can see both parents.

Bindy Badgy
2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

How can you say Coronavirus is worse than the HIV/AIDS epidemic? (Which is in living memory). Sorry but you need to back that up with some justification. 

I do not think the entire world is stupid. I 100% think that Coronavirus is a threat, and one which we should treat with caution. However, there have been 14 deaths in Scotland; do I think we should heavily strip people or their Civil Liberties and self destruct our economy on the back of 14 deaths - I am not fully convinced. 

You failed to address my point of how you have calculated the likely millions that are going to die from this virus. Have you got any data or justification to back it up?

HIV is probably worse but, there are easy steps that can be taken to avoide transmission. Don't share needles and don't have unprotected sex.

It isn't that easy with COVID-19 so people feels like they don't have any control over their lives.

Bindy Badgy
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

If your goal is to minimise the risk of transmission at all costs you should cease contact. If your goal is to make your personal relationship as strong as possible you should maintain contact. Whichever way you go there is a trade-off. Personally, I would try to limit contact to Skype calls but I don't have kids so it's easy for me to write that!

Fitzroy Pointon
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He just confirmed on BBC and apologised for the lack of clarity. If child is under 18 they can see both parents.

Nice one.  I'll leave it up to their mum to make the final decision on it though.  Thankfully they are at the age to understand what's going on.  

highlandjambo3
19 hours ago, Jeff said:

Sometimes makes you think that a year in the army for everyone wouldn't be a bad thing

Nah....it wouldn’t work.  
I was a training instructor at Glencourse a while back and our recruits were school leavers (formerly junior soldiers) 16 years old.  The amount of time I spent dealing with run aways, petty theft like Mobil phones, people crying to go home, bullying, angry parents demanding we let their sons leave etc....etc..... and these were youngsters that volunteered to be there............imagine what it would be like trying to force youngsters who don’t want to be there.

The old “bring back national service” would not work, different type of youngster and different mindset these days. 

Was just watching a news programme on Facebook where an American doctor states that the use of 2 different drugs one being hyrdochloroquine is 100% effective in the treatment of the virus and has seen infected people fully recovered in just 6 days. Seemingly a top French doctor has been doing a study on this and has found a 100% hit rate on it. Anyone else read anything or seen any further information regarding this? 

2 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

HIV is probably worse but, there are easy steps that can be taken to avoide transmission. Don't share needles and don't have unprotected sex.

It isn't that easy with COVID-19 so people feels like they don't have any control over their lives.

Sorry mate, but there is no probably about it. HIV/AIDS epidemic is the worst health crisis of our lifetimes. 

I totally take your point that the transmission of Coronavirus is much easier than HIV. But the stakes are far higher as well. Up until the last 15 years or so contracting HIV was essentially a death sentence, no matter who you were or where you lived. For the vast majority who contract Coronavirus, it will essentially be like having a bad cold for a week. 

8 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Come off it? Are you Boris? I have no doubt this is what he and Cummings have been saying in COBRA meetings but the Cabinet and devolved Govts have forced him to waken up...It is simply unacceptable to take the laissez-faire attitute and throw the old, afflicted and what seems a random selection of healthy people to the wolves...Callous is the word I would use. This is a test for for the economy but the economy should never come above health of the people, and it will adapt far quicker than our bodies can...

10 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Keep seeing your kid mate. 

Obviously when he/she is staying with you stick to staying indoors etc but I can’t see any problem with Mum driving kid round to yours and staying with you for the weekend or whatever and you driving them back after a couple of days.

2 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Must admit, at first I thought “****, this is actually happening”, but having slept on it I realise that this isn’t a lockdown at all.  Still so many loopholes for the morons to take the piss with.  The threat of dispersing groups of more than two with a £30 fine won’t cut it.  The arseholes will see it as game of hide and seek.  It’ll be like watching a Benny Hill episode.

I’ll give it a week and we’ll be on Italy style house arrest.

Sad state to be in as a country if we think this is infringing our freedoms.  

There are times I think the govt should have a link to our bank account details.

Toot your car horn, automatic £50 fine and it's up to you it was a necessary safety, emergency reason.

Sort of goes against innocent until proved guilty ethos.....

18 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Some people blame the government for anything and everything.  Surprised they can wipe their own backsides themselves. I've heard many things blamed for all this i.e Trump (obviously), Tories, Capitalism - it is never ending.

The best one I've heard is the roll out of 5G :wacko:

Edited by Marvin
spelling

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

We're not remotely on the essential list but HEY!!! I've been told to go to work 'cos my employer seems determined to convince himself,   and by extension the authorities,   that we are.    I'll phone the police myself if I have to.

As people have said Sports Direct think they are essential. Closing stores now though but still asking Government if they can be considered 'essential' due to helping people stay active. 

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Come off it? Are you Boris? I have no doubt this is what he and Cummings have been saying in COBRA meetings but the Cabinet and devolved Govts have forced him to waken up...It is simply unacceptable to take the laissez-faire attitute and throw the old, afflicted and what seems a random selection of healthy people to the wolves...Callous is the word I would use. This is a test for for the economy but the economy should never come above health of the people, and it will adapt far quicker than our bodies can...

I think you are slightly misrepresenting my position mate. 

I do think steps should be taken such as everyone who can WFH should be WFH for  the foreseeable future. Also agree with cancelling all large gatherings like concerts, sporting events etc. And the closure of high schools. I am not suggesting a relaxed attitude to this. 

On the economy point. It’s a difficult trade off and an interesting question to think about I suppose. During the common flu season every year on average about 20-25,000 Brits die of flu/pneumonia, yet we don’t shut down the economy in an effort to reduce transmission. In fact we do the complete opposite, we encourage large family gatherings around that time, we encourage office parties and nights out with friends. If we stopped all that and imposed lockdown maybe fewer people would die during flu season.

7 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I think you are slightly misrepresenting my position mate. 

I do think steps should be taken such as everyone who can WFH should be WFH for  the foreseeable future. Also agree with cancelling all large gatherings like concerts, sporting events etc. And the closure of high schools. I am not suggesting a relaxed attitude to this. 

On the economy point. It’s a difficult trade off and an interesting question to think about I suppose. During the common flu season every year on average about 20-25,000 Brits die of flu/pneumonia, yet we don’t shut down the economy in an effort to reduce transmission. In fact we do the complete opposite, we encourage large family gatherings around that time, we encourage office parties and nights out with friends. If we stopped all that and imposed lockdown maybe fewer people would die during flu season.

The flu picks off society's weakest - all that can be done to minimise its impact has been done and is done every year. Coronavirus is less discriminating and more contagious than flu.  I've never had the flu in my life AFAIK  and I'm 45. I've had plenty of colds but never once been laid out with flu symptoms. Similarly we don't tend to lose doctors and nurses to flu. At first I compared this to flu but I now see that they are simply not comparable.

Edited by Spellczech

8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Could you list all the places you have been in the last 5-7 days?

In case you discover you have it, and your trail needs to be investigated.

They aren't doing that. 

KyleLafferty

Everyone I know who is working on a building site has been shut down for 3 weeks. Cala, persimmon, Barrett. Also I haven’t seen anyone in the Dandara site that’s next to my work.

32 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I'm a foster carer and one of the kids we look after is due contact with his birth mother on Friday. Still waiting for confirmation of whether that is going ahead or not.

Must admit I'll not be happy if it is.

The Mighty Thor

This lockdown is largely being ignored already. 

Shops busy, roads busy, businesses making employees pitch up, building sites still going. 

Good affirmative action from the Scottish & Westminster governments being totally ignored by individuals and companies who don't give two ****s about others.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Shops busy, roads busy, businesses making employees pitch up, building sites still going. 

Good affirmative action from the Scottish & Westminster governments being totally ignored by individuals and companies who don't give two ****s about others.

Pepper spray and tear gas should help solve the problem.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Everyone I know who is working on a building site has been shut down for 3 weeks. Cala, persimmon, Barrett. Also I haven’t seen anyone in the Dandara site that’s next to my work.

Dunbar Persimmon site going like a fair

Bypass was quite quiet yesterday AM going East. Was a lot busier today, I'd say about 80-90% as busy as a normal day. I was mostly seeing trade vans however. The self employed.

Going West which is usually nose to tail it was pretty quiet.

What shocked me which I may not notice usually is that I seen at least 6 or 7 people out exercising in Prestonpans.

Fitzroy Pointon
28 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

If your goal is to minimise the risk of transmission at all costs you should cease contact. If your goal is to make your personal relationship as strong as possible you should maintain contact. Whichever way you go there is a trade-off. Personally, I would try to limit contact to Skype calls but I don't have kids so it's easy for me to write that!

You do have a point.  I would like to see them as normal this weekend but as I said above, they are at an age where the more than understand what is going on and they could probably make their own decision on it.  I'm more than prepared for them not coming and just having video calls. 

19 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Obviously when he/she is staying with you stick to staying indoors etc but I can’t see any problem with Mum driving kid round to yours and staying with you for the weekend or whatever and you driving them back after a couple of days.

I really want to see them but I think I will leave it up to their mums.  They are pretty fair so will do what they think is best. 

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Clearly the Chancellor is not ready with measures for the self-employed or they would've announced those at the same time as the lockdown to prevent this...The other powers to force people and businesses to comply are also not ready, and are being pushed through by the Health Minister even though his own department has been shown to be woefully unprepared. It is a sh!t-show...I suspect it is because Boris is now just a figurehead PM - even the Daily Mail says the Cabinet, devolved Govts and other parties are forcing him to act. He promised us Churchill, but he turned out to be Chamberlain...

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So its NOT a lockdown.

Did Boris lie? 

What do you determine necessary?

I'd say health wise necessary is either make site safe and close or making a site safe in case of emergency.

However Nicky Campell has just said a plumber can continue to work but owner should leave house on advice he has received.

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

I really want to see them but I think I will leave it up to their mums.  They are pretty fair so will do what they think is best. 

images.jpeg

29 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

You can't see how one parent who might be religiously following protocols to avoid this virus, hygiene for instance wouldn't worry that the other parent didn't and brought the virus home with them?

I appreciate it's the other way round in this case.

Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

As people have said Sports Direct think they are essential. Closing stores now though but still asking Government if they can be considered 'essential' due to helping people stay active. 

They were saying on Sky News that Evans Cycles can stay open under the rules, Sports direct is more of a grey area.

They also said that the same thing happened in France with many shops saying they were essential, the authorities virtually had to go round shop by shop say who was essential and who wasn't and who could stay open and who had to close.

That's what they said on Sky News about 20 minutes ago.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic