Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Fitzroy Pointon
49 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

What is actually still open:

Supermarkets

Petrol Stations

pharmacys 

Anything else like bank branches? Are vape shops essentials? Are we going to get a list from the gov at some point?

One of the first things I thought about last night.  I ended up ordering my e-liquid online as I can't see them being seen as essential.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren

The Uk government's issue is that this is the most libertarian govt for over a century and strict regulation is very much anathema for them. This is all very much outside their ideological comfort zone. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

I'd think vape shops would count as corner shops/newsagents as both of these also serve as tobacconists??

Only if they sold something other than vape stuff. 

...a bit disco
33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

FAO vapours,

Dr Vapour on Dalry Road (and I assume many others) will do delivery services.

They all are.

My wife just ordered a whack of oils from VIP. Order came to about £95 but saved over £30 on it.

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The Uk government's issue is that this is the most libertarian govt for over a century and strict regulation is very much anathema for them. This is all very much outside their ideological comfort zone. 

Its lucky they have the scientists, and to be fair someone more practical in Dominic Cummings said to be the one pushing for lockdown last 2 weeks. 

To previous questions re employer.  Don't want to be too specific for anonymity but we're not covered in the essential list.    But he's making comparing some stuff we do to wholly different exception on the list and trying to justify us being open as we supply in to some places who will be open due to them being covered to open for different business.     Desperate stuff.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

It was a pain in the ass, not a hardship. Jesus, you could pick a fight in a an empty room going by this thread...The point was about how not having a washing machine meant laundrettes were essential (even if inconvenient)

For goodness sake. I responded in a light hearted vein to your comments about living in a "match box" which didn't have a washing machine and a dishwasher, and having your shirts "laundered". In case anyone missed the fact it was light hearted I even ended with a reference to the Monty Python Yorkshiremen skit. 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

For goodness sake. I responded in a light hearted vein to your comments about living in a "match box" which didn't have a washing machine and a dishwasher, and having your shirts "laundered". In case anyone missed the fact it was light hearted I even ended with a reference to the Monty Python Yorkshiremen skit. 

😂😂

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

ok. we can put it down to missing emojis. It was a rubbish apartment though, apart from the location on Sloane Street. Never did use the dishwasher for my one cup, one fork, one plate - went old school with a sink. Was Chelsea Cloisters, where I read a year ago they busted a big prostitute ring. There were always rumours that some of the apartments were used by pros in the early noughties, and in-house hairdresser was a definite clue...but I never actually met any.

Edited by Spellczech

OmiyaHearts

I'm still working, was quiet in Glasgow walking in this morning at 8. Buses looking empty as well, for the first time. Looks like people beginning to take it serious.

Thought I might get home working after yesterdays announcement but got this from memo our board this morning:

These are truly extraordinary and troubling times and we know that you are all concerned for your health, the health of your loved ones and for the security of your job.

Last night the Prime Minister took the unprecedented step of announcing significant restrictions on the movement of people within the UK. He stated that for the next three weeks there will be only four allowable reasons for people to leave their homes. One of these allowable reasons is for employees of essential service providers to travel to and from work where this work cannot be performed from home. ****** and the other national plant hire companies within the UK have been classified as essential service providers due to the work we perform in supporting the MOD, NHS, oil, gas, electricity, water, sewerage, telecommunications and critical infrastructure sectors. All ****** employees are therefore deemed to be key workers as defined by the Government. You will have seen this morning the commitment made by Government Ministers (Michael Gove, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Robert Jenrick, Housing Minister) to keep construction projects open.

It is therefore vital that we maintain our depot network and remain available to fully service our customers during this challenging period. We therefore ask that all our staff continue to work as normal and continue to follow the Government advice we have published on social distancing and hygiene protocols.
The country and ****** need your ongoing support. The UK has never faced a challenge like this before and we must all pull together and do everything possible to protect the health of our colleagues and our company.

Looks like I'll be back and forward to work as usual, til this is over. If I manage to avoid getting this, it'll be a miracle! But at least I have a letter to carry about (confirming I'm an essential worker) so I can basically go out whenever I want (which is never).

I'm just glad the wife is now off for ten weeks and my parents have already been in voluntary lockdown for weeks.

Spain deaths spike

The number of people dying from coronavirus in Spain has risen by 514 in the past 24 hours - a daily record. A total of 2,696 people have now died and there are 39,637 confirmed cases, the Spanish ministry of health says.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Come off it? Are you Boris? I have absolutely no idea what he and Cummings have been saying in COBRA 

Ftfy. 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ftfy. 

Did you read the next bit - if the Daily Mail is saying that Boris is being forced to act by the Cabinet then you can be pretty sure it's true - the one area they do know is the Tory Party...

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Spellczech said:

Did you read the next bit - if the Daily Mail is saying that Boris is being forced to act by the Cabinet then you can be pretty sure it's true - the one area they do know is the Tory Party...

They don't know either but will speculate like there's no tomorrow. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

They don't know either but will speculate like there's no tomorrow. 

Ok so how do you explain Sturgeon going first on closing schools, on closing pubs and on non-essential businesses yesterday. She's forcing the decisions every step of the way....(tho' I suspect you will say something like they are trialling it in Scotland like dear Maggie did with the Poll Tax)

14 minutes ago, southcap said:

There's going to be a lot of self employed folk regretting not declaring all their income now. 

Lol

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Ok so how do you explain Sturgeon going first on closing schools, on closing pubs and on non-essential businesses yesterday. She's forcing the decisions every step of the way....(tho' I suspect you will say something like they are trialling it in Scotland like dear Maggie did with the Poll Tax)

Sturgeon has been following what the UK government have been doing not blazing a trail. Oh sure, she'll have appeared on TV before the PM a couple of times but she's done nearly the same. Tbh I don't know why she is even on telly has the Welsh or NI first minister types been hogging the TV?

22 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I'm still working, was quiet in Glasgow walking in this morning at 8. Buses looking empty as well, for the first time. Looks like people beginning to take it serious.

Thought I might get home working after yesterdays announcement but got this from memo our board this morning:

These are truly extraordinary and troubling times and we know that you are all concerned for your health, the health of your loved ones and for the security of your job.

Last night the Prime Minister took the unprecedented step of announcing significant restrictions on the movement of people within the UK. He stated that for the next three weeks there will be only four allowable reasons for people to leave their homes. One of these allowable reasons is for employees of essential service providers to travel to and from work where this work cannot be performed from home. ****** and the other national plant hire companies within the UK have been classified as essential service providers due to the work we perform in supporting the MOD, NHS, oil, gas, electricity, water, sewerage, telecommunications and critical infrastructure sectors. All ****** employees are therefore deemed to be key workers as defined by the Government. You will have seen this morning the commitment made by Government Ministers (Michael Gove, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Robert Jenrick, Housing Minister) to keep construction projects open.

It is therefore vital that we maintain our depot network and remain available to fully service our customers during this challenging period. We therefore ask that all our staff continue to work as normal and continue to follow the Government advice we have published on social distancing and hygiene protocols.
The country and ****** need your ongoing support. The UK has never faced a challenge like this before and we must all pull together and do everything possible to protect the health of our colleagues and our company.

Looks like I'll be back and forward to work as usual, til this is over. If I manage to avoid getting this, it'll be a miracle! But at least I have a letter to carry about (confirming I'm an essential worker) so I can basically go out whenever I want (which is never).

I'm just glad the wife is now off for ten weeks and my parents have already been in voluntary lockdown for weeks.

The way it spreads there won't be many that don't get it.Its a fecking minefield would need to have been in a bunker for the last 20 days to not have a chance of catching it.

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Sturgeon has been following what the UK government have been doing not blazing a trail. Oh sure, she'll have appeared on TV before the PM a couple of times but she's done nearly the same. Tbh I don't know why she is even on telly has the Welsh or NI first minister types been hogging the TV?

It's been a team effort across UK Governments.

What Sturgeon did especially early on is communicate better. Hold immediate press conferences. Just speak a lot better than Boris. 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

It's been a team effort across UK Governments.

What Sturgeon did especially early on is communicate better. Hold immediate press conferences. Just speak a lot better than Boris. 

In your opinion not mine. 

If nothing else, this crisis has exposed just how fragile the UK economy is.

Zero-hours workers, self-employed, renters, anybody with no savings or safety net have been badly exposed.

It'd be nice to think that employment laws and rental regulations will change as a result of this, but that's probably not going to happen.

11 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

? Yesterday: 3PM Sturgeon announced pretty much that non-essential businesses ie hairdressers to close; 5pm COBRA meeting; 8.30pm Boris announces effective (or ineffective!) lock down; 8.45 pm Sturgeon says same things but with more clarity

Musselburgh heaving this morning.  Buses all packed and so on.  A lot of the folk actually walking around are older people. This ain't gonna work.  No way they could even police that.

davemclaren
27 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Spain deaths spike

The number of people dying from coronavirus in Spain has risen by 514 in the past 24 hours - a daily record. A total of 2,696 people have now died and there are 39,637 confirmed cases, the Spanish ministry of health says.

Spain has been in lockdown for a week now. If it is working then the rate of new cases should start to decline soon. Deaths will lag behind that by a week or two I reckon. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

? Yesterday: 3PM Sturgeon announced pretty much that non-essential businesses ie hairdressers to close; 5pm COBRA meeting; 8.30pm Boris announces effective (or ineffective!) lock down; 8.45 pm Sturgeon says same things but with more clarity

All she's doing is jumping the gun for political reasons. She's well aware these measures are coming down the line from Downing St. Take the school closures she get's in first by a few hours closing everything down. The UK Gov, on the other hand, sees a need to have the children of key workers and emergency services still in school to free those workers from child care duties and also have at risk kids continuing to attend schools. 

4 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Musselburgh heaving this morning.  Buses all packed and so on.  A lot of the folk actually walking around are older people. This ain't gonna work.  No way they could even police that.

Have heard they are queueing along the street to get into boots

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

All she's doing is jumping the gun for political reasons. She's well aware these measures are coming down the line from Downing St. Take the school closures she get's in first by a few hours closing everything down. The UK Gov, on the other hand, sees a need to have the children of key workers and emergency services still in school to free those workers from child care duties and also have at risk kids continuing to attend schools. 

It's just opinions sure, but all the evidence is that Boris did not want to do any of the measures that have happened in the last week. The Mail is saying the Cabinet and Opposition parties are forcing him too. The actions show that Sturgeon is pre-empting every single announcement Boris makes...Boris dithers, and contradicts himself from one day to the next "no the schools are not closing" "yes the schools are to close"; No we live in a free country the pubs will not close" "The pubs are to close" etc etc...As a leader goes, his messages are not just mixed they, are full on contradictory...

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Have heard they are queueing along the street to get into boots

That’s fantastic. I’ve got to go to that Boots to get a prescription at some time this week. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s fantastic. I’ve got to go to that Boots to get a prescription at some time this week. 

Hopefully just a one day panic

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Will have a walk down with the dug in a couple of days. If it’s busy I can buy thyroid medication online. Would rather do that than put up with a queue of ill people. 

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

£30 fine for flaunting the rules 😂

Is it not €1000 in France , Spain and Germany ?

No I don't think so, not in France anyway. It started at €35 there too.

Not spoken to my family there in the last few days though so it may have changed.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Its lucky they have the scientists, and to be fair someone more practical in Dominic Cummings said to be the one pushing for lockdown last 2 weeks. 

And suggested (Times?) Johnson has been pushing back and its his ministers and cabinet that more than likely been threatening 'leaks' if he doesn't take tougher measures.

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No I don't think so, not in France anyway. It started at €35 there too.

Not spoken to my family there in the last few days though so it may have changed.

I get that info from the news at night so it's probably been sensationalism.

16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

The chemist over from boots is only letting in one person at a time so boots might be the same and that could be the reason 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

So its NOT a lockdown.

Did Boris lie? 

My site shut and now I have to claim universal credit.

It must be great for the self righteous out there, who can work from home or have their wage covered, telling us self employed tradesmen to stay at home.

👍 

4 minutes ago, theshed said:

The chemist over from boots is only letting in one person at a time so boots might be the same and that could be the reason 

Maybe I went to my Scotmid this morning and they are doing the two metre policy luckily no one was in though cause 3 folk and it would be a queue out the door.

The Internet

I8 exposing himself as a vaper is a massive revelation to me. Thought he would despise folk that vape. 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I8 exposing himself as a vaper is a massive revelation to me. Thought he would despise folk that vape. 

If anything, it makes perfect sense.

I wonder what "rig" he has.

Edited by hughesie27

2 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Essential to Life.

So many arseholes out there going to end up having us on full lockdown.

Screenshot_20200324-123207_Twitter.jpg

They might be essential to keeping out of supermarkets which is probably a good idea. No need for Mr Leitch to be a flippant dick either. 

Edited by GinRummy

49 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Spain has been in lockdown for a week now. If it is working then the rate of new cases should start to decline soon. Deaths will lag behind that by a week or two I reckon. 

Hoping Thursday will be the turning point

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

They might be essential to keeping out of supermarkets which is probably a good idea. No need for Mr Leitch to be a flippant dick either. 

Id certainly rather go to a farmer's market right now than a supermarket.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic