Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

47 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I would suggest that anyone in low risk groups not meeting up outside with small groups friends and family also in low risk groups with no likely contact with vulnerable people are the covidiots; following the strictest guidelines for healthy adults living healthy lives is now nothing more than a form virtue signalling for the particularly obsequious.

Sadly, the long term damage caused by isolation - a form of control and retribution inflicted by sadistic regimes throughout history - will do little to persuade such fearful curtain twitchers that they were, are and will continue to be in the wrong, and will only serve to push them deeper into their own little cauldron of sneering, lazy compliance and judgement of those who refuse to fear life itself.

well said. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I would suggest that anyone in low risk groups not meeting up outside with small groups friends and family also in low risk groups with no likely contact with vulnerable people are the covidiots; following the strictest guidelines for healthy adults living healthy lives is now nothing more than a form virtue signalling for the particularly obsequious.

Sadly, the long term damage caused by isolation - a form of control and retribution inflicted by sadistic regimes throughout history - will do little to persuade such fearful curtain twitchers that they were, are and will continue to be in the wrong, and will only serve to push them deeper into their own little cauldron of sneering, lazy compliance and judgement of those who refuse to fear life itself.

Great post,Jonesy.

Cases need to drop for restrictions to be eased. The quicker the numbers get driven down, the quicker everything will open back up.

Anyone not doing their part now to make this happen as soon as possible and give us the hope of some normality again in the summer is a ****.

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Cases need to drop for restrictions to be eased. The quicker the numbers get driven down, the quicker everything will open back up.

Anyone not doing their part now to make this happen as soon as possible and give us the hope of some normality again in the summer is a ****.

:spoton:

28 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep.  It seems such an obvious thing.  Society just continues to bear with it for a short time,  with clear goals and pathways in sight,  to enable a decent life.  Very soon.

If you exclude trolling,  sadly we can see that there are people who seem hell bent on prolonging the agony.  Now we're informed that continuing to stick with it a bit longer is the same as virtue signalling.  It's difficult to describe how warped that is.  If you exclude trolling as a possibility.  The other one's living in a virtual padded cell.

scott herbertson
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yep.  It seems such an obvious thing.  Society just continues to bear with it for a short time,  with clear goals and pathways in sight,  to enable a decent life.  Very soon.

If you exclude trolling,  sadly we can see that there are people who seem hell bent on prolonging the agony.  Now we're informed that continuing to stick with it a bit longer is the same as virtue signalling.  It's difficult to describe how warped that is.  If you exclude trolling as a possibility.  The other one's living in a virtual padded cell.

Indeed

I sell books online across the world and I 'meet' a wide variety of people - I've sold books to a member of the Grateful Dead (on witchcraft) and to a man who was a victim of the Unibomber and in the running to be President Trump's main scientific adviser (he bought a book on the architecture of Bath Cathedral) and to the man who invented the multi router and trivial File Transfer Protocol (a book about the Assam Regiment at the Battle of Kohima) 

Anyway I had an e mail exchange with an American customer last week in which I made the mistake of mentioning I had had the vaccination for covid - cue a bombardment of e mails about the Devil and prayers for my soul as I had been fooled by the elite who were conspiring, in their evil way, to kill us all....

It's a mad world

The light is at the end of the tunnel. We just need to stick with it a while longer. And still some people have learnt absolutely nothing from the past year, think they know better than the experts, the rules don't apply to them, they can just do what they want now. Despite only 0.45% of the population being full vaccinated.

People made their own "grown up risk assessment" at Christmas. What happened? A massive spike in cases and hospitalisations - 92% rise in a week.

5 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Indeed

I sell books online across the world and I 'meet' a wide variety of people - I've sold books to a member of the Grateful Dead (on witchcraft) and to a man who was a victim of the Unibomber and in the running to be President Trump's main scientific adviser (he bought a book on the architecture of Bath Cathedral) and to the man who invented the multi router and trivial File Transfer Protocol (a book about the Assam Regiment at the Battle of Kohima) 

Anyway I had an e mail exchange with an American customer last week in which I made the mistake of mentioning I had had the vaccination for covid - cue a bombardment of e mails about the Devil and prayers for my soul as I had been fooled by the elite who were conspiring, in their evil way, to kill us all....

It's a mad world

Sounds like an interesting business.

I made a similar mistake of getting involved in a conversation with a Trump loon about the man himself.  Things like that and this coronavirus event has laid bare the vulnerability of the human condition.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

The light is at the end of the tunnel. We just need to stick with it a while longer. And still some people have learnt absolutely nothing from the past year, think they know better than the experts, the rules don't apply to them, they can just do what they want now. Despite only 0.45% of the population being full vaccinated.

People made their own "grown up risk assessment" at Christmas. What happened? A massive spike in cases and hospitalisations - 92% rise in a week.

People applied the principle of personal choice / risk to a context where it has no relevance.  It's still proposed now.  It's anti-logic,  anti-science,  anti-sanity bunkum of the most berserk variety.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

People applied the principle of personal choice / risk to a context where it has no relevance.  It's still proposed now.  It's anti-logic,  anti-science,  anti-sanity bunkum of the most berserk variety.

Ahhh yes, but the great critical-thinking minds on the forum are free from the restrictive choke-hold of science, facts, evidence and reality.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sounds like an interesting business.

I made a similar mistake of getting involved in a conversation with a Trump loon about the man himself.  Things like that and this coronavirus event has laid bare the vulnerability of the human condition.

Yeah - but most of the guys are excellent. The internet inventor bloke (Noel Chiappa) was really interesting guy and we had a long exchange about Burma and the Battle of Kohima - I'm looking forward to more conversations with him, so it is not just a bad experience out there. He's used the money hes made to follow his life interests, which is how it should be.

"

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Look, you two. I'm sure you're nice guys/gals.

But your lives and lifestyles are very obviously not dependent on contexts which have been badly impacted by the restrictions, or you are comfortable with the changes you have needed to make as a result.

Bolt. I badly miss my friends. I miss nights out. I miss going to the pub, going out for meals. I miss house parties. I miss my family. I even miss going to ****ing work in the office. I'm absolutely sick of this situation and really getting down about it and I want the hell out of it ASAP. 

Edited by Ray Gin

scott herbertson
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

1 - Been listening to a podcast series about the unabomber - scary stuff. :( 

2 - Some kind of oxymoron, shirley? :) 

Indeed, though again he was an interesting person to exchange views with

Here he is

https://time.com/4236974/encounters-with-the-archgenius/

We had the exchange because I was curious as to why a US scince professor should buy a book ( an expensive one -£400) about Somersetshire. So (after he had paid!) I wrote and asked him why he bought it

The reason - he visited the cathedral once and was inspired by the scientific achievement of the architecture but also by its beauty - so he opens all his first year lectures with pictures of the arches at the Cathedral, to show that science can be both logical and beautiful

Oh and I haven't watched the unibomber thing but presumably he features in it

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2007/01/29/unabombers-act-still-affects-prof-gelernter/

Edited by scott herbertson

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Hang in there, Ray. Whether or not I have a wee wander in the woods with a family member from outside my household or travel outside of my local council area for a bit of R&R really has no effect on whether or not those things will be back in your life soon.  It's all down to when either a) a critical mass of people are vaccinated or b) enough people get fed up with the restrictions and those in authority realise they cannot keep attempting to micromanage folks' lives. Perhaps a bit of both.

Keep well, and as you say, there is light at the end of the tunnel. :) 

The first bit - that's within the regulations. That's not what you were suggesting earlier. You were talking about meeting up in groups.

Travelling outside your area depends whether you have contact with others while doing so, after having unknowingly picked up the virus while in a shop or something. Doing this increases the risk of mutated variants being spread around the country.

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Surely your not talking about the resident expert on this thread?

:)

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Surely your not talking about the resident expert on this thread?

:)

Sadly there are more than one who think they know better than actual qualified experts who have all of the data, evidence and scientific knowledge.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Look, you two. I'm sure you're nice guys/gals.

But your lives and lifestyles are very obviously not dependent on contexts which have been badly impacted by the restrictions, or you are comfortable with the changes you have needed to make as a result. But you should also try to understand that tolk aren't just complaining about things like the quarantine hotels because they fancy two weeks in Santorini. Some folk have jobs that, in one fell swoop, have been made unviable because of extreme quarantine restrictions and unevidenced vilification. Like it or not, we live in a country that, until very recently, has encouraged people to look outwards and engage with the continent and world around us - both at home and abroad. Now that's not an option. Brexit + Covid has been a double whammy for many industries. 

I, like many more people than I think you appreciate, have continued to see some friends and family throughout the pandemic. There haven't been any 'cases' as a result. All we have done is keep each others' spirits up during a dark and difficult time. Anecdotal evidence would suggest more and more people are making their own decision about which restrictions they will adhere to. Part of this is selfishness, I'll admit that. But another part of this is frustration with how the entire situation has been managed.

Vic, you say that there are 'clear goals and pathways'. That's simply not true. European governments in general are being as cautious as possible - partly to make sure there is no call for future lockdowns when the 'cases' inevitably rise again as people are permitted to go about their lives in the largely safe and responsible (albeit not 100% risk free) manner the majority of adults did before the pandemic. Part of that caution involves remaining as vague as possible about what will trigger 'unlocking' of certain aspects of our lives. That would lead critical thinkers ( ;)  ) to come to the conclusion that they are as wary of the bad press surrounding their actions as the consequence of the actions themselves - they can then avoid pressure from the scientists (who appear to largely live outwith any kind of real world context and in some kind of statistics-and-panic fringed bubble) to do it all over again, despite the most vulnerable being vaccinated and the Covid not doing much to the average, healthy punter.

Ray - numbers will continue to fluctuate, even within a general downward trend. Control freaks and/or those led by ultra cautious decision making processes will do their best, out of a misplaced sense of doing the right thing, to keep restrictions in place until as late as they can, no matter the cost to other peoples' lives. Much like that arsehole David Cameron did with Brexit, they'll then swan off into the sunset, leaving the next batch of politicians to tidy up the mess. And by christ, it's going to be a big mess.

TL;DR Jonesy's a **** :) 

That's just a long,  meandering wander around to miss the point.  There are clear goals and pathways.

The principle goals.  To unlock.  To protect the maximum number of people with immunisation.  To develop the vaccines to continue to protect.  To minimise the risk of further lockdowns.  To free up the NHS to provide non-covid care.

Pathways.  Continuing vaccinations.  Continued suppression of the current epidemic to a low enough level to enable a sustainable unlock.

Unlocking prematurely will be counter-productive.  Another unavoidable end state will be us living with covid in society.  It can only be lived with,  while we stay out of lockdown,  after having been driven to much lower level.  Test,  trace & isolate only ever works below a low level.  We've seen how shambolic and ineffective it is dealing with a higher volume of cases.  

The rest of this year involves a few key things being in place and co-existing.  

Vaccinations continuing through the population.

The plan and timetable to unlock.

The ability to prevent another wave.

Developing generation 2.0 of the vaccines.

The whole thing will go to rat shit if we end up having to go back into lockdown in a few months.  We'll suffer very,  very badly with having to endure another long lockdown,  more economic damage,  it will also badly disrupt the process of rolling out vaccine 2.0 ahead of the next winter season.  It would prevent non-covid care being ramped up.

This whole year is going to be one big balancing act.  The only practical route through is to take careful,  thoughtful steps until the process shows that bolder steps are prudent.  A reckless unlocking doesn't even bear thinking about.  

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I, like many more people than I think you appreciate, have continued to see some friends and family throughout the pandemic. There haven't been any 'cases' as a result. All we have done is keep each others' spirits up during a dark and difficult time. Anecdotal evidence would suggest more and more people are making their own decision about which restrictions they will adhere to. Part of this is selfishness, I'll admit that. But another part of this is frustration with how the entire situation has been managed.

Therein lies the problem. You and your acquaintances may be fortunate enough not to acquire or transmit the virus during your encounters.  Repeat that with other groups of similarly minded people, 10 times over, 100 times over or 1000 times over and you will find that not everyone will escape it.  Those that do get infected, pass it on and surprise surprise, the case numbers remain stubbornly high, and everybody has to suffer the consequences of extended restrictions. As you suggest, it is selfishness.

It may have escaped your notice that the latest infection survey showed the 1 in 180 people actually had the virus a week or so ago (a decent improvement), but you, your acquaintances and other like minded groups are not contributing as much to that improvement as the majority of people who are continuing to sacrifice their freedoms in line with what that have been asked to do.

Brighton Jambo
8 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

For stats, data elderly Eng Care home residents were 87% and staff 65% 1st dose for mid Feb declaration, Scotland 100, 92.

Which is clearly nonsense isn’t it.  There can be no way it is 100%.  As within that population there will be people who had tested positive for Covid and couldn’t get the vaccine, people who due to underlying conditions couldn’t get the vaccine and people who refused the vaccine.  

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Which is clearly nonsense isn’t it.  There can be no way it is 100%.  As within that population there will be people who had tested positive for Covid and couldn’t get the vaccine, people who due to underlying conditions couldn’t get the vaccine and people who refused the vaccine.  

Not really nonsense.  There were an estimated 30,000 care home residents identified.  As of today, 30,826 (102.8%) have been vaccinated.  The number of people in care homes is not fixed, as people die (of all causes) and others move into homes virtually on a daily basis.  For all practical purposes, claiming 100% is not unreasonable. 

Edited by Footballfirst

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Sadly there are more than one who think they know better than actual qualified experts who have all of the data, evidence and scientific knowledge.

:spoton:

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Very concerning as to how this came about, why it came about and how many times it has happened. 

It appears the drive to record as many deaths as possible down to Covid has overtaken the drive for honesty and truthfulness in the medical profession. 

6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think the public have a lot more common sense than the politicians and, yes,  in many ways, the scientists. You don't have to be an epidemiologist to appreciate that.

If you want to describe people going about their normal business, safely, having listened to govt diktats and scientific scaremongering for nearly a year, then that's your choice. 

Those that want to be locked up and "kept safe" by govts, are entitled to do so. Time to take Covid off the pedestal and think of the thousands of people with equally bad and worse medical conditions,  the business owners pouring their savings into keeping their business afloat and the children, students,  apprentices who have lost a year of their education. Not to mention the care home residents and those whose mental health has been affected.

Scientists can often look at this situation from a very narrow perspective, focussed solely on the virus as a research project, data gathering exercise. 

If it was up to scientists entire families would be confined to our homes 24/7. They would claim success as the virus was “defeated” but it would be a world of mass unemployment, incalculable mental health problems and years of education lost. 

In reality, people are looking at the risks associated with their own circumstances (age, health), their employment and the knowledge that there is a fine balance between eradicating the virus and putting themselves in dangerous isolation, and they are acting accordingly. 

16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Very concerning as to how this came about, why it came about and how many times it has happened. 

It appears the drive to record as many deaths as possible down to Covid has overtaken the drive for honesty and truthfulness in the medical profession. 

Yes, it's truly reprehensible the way the govts have been allowed to manipulate the statistics, and individuals who have died, to further their agenda to maintain population compliance.  

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Scientists can often look at this situation from a very narrow perspective, focussed solely on the virus as a research project, data gathering exercise. 

If it was up to scientists entire families would be confined to our homes 24/7. They would claim success as the virus was “defeated” but it would be a world of mass unemployment, incalculable mental health problems and years of education lost. 

In reality, people are looking at the risks associated with their own circumstances (age, health), their employment and the knowledge that there is a fine balance between eradicating the virus and putting themselves in dangerous isolation, and they are acting accordingly. 

Yes, completely agree and for the scientists,  who have been preparing for this for years, they don't have any issue with using the population as pawns in their research. Their graphs, modelling and advice should be listened to in the round but not  to inform govt policy on it's own.

As you say, individuals know how to keep themselves and their families safe and certainly do not need govts to micromanage their lives for them. We are more than capable of following our own instinct and making our own judgement calls. 

Those politicians and scientists who are still following the flawed "elimination, border closing" strategy need to understand that the collateral damage that would ensue, renders that option unachievable and unacceptable. 

Konrad von Carstein
24 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, completely agree and for the scientists,  who have been preparing for this for years, they don't have any issue with using the population as pawns in their research. Their graphs, modelling and advice should be listened to in the round but not  to inform govt policy on it's own.

As you say, individuals know how to keep themselves and their families safe and certainly do not need govts to micromanage their lives for them. We are more than capable of following our own instinct and making our own judgement calls. 

Those politicians and scientists who are still following the flawed "elimination, border closing" strategy need to understand that the collateral damage that would ensue, renders that option unachievable and unacceptable. 

A(nother) EC post with plot holes as wide as the Grand Canyon...

14 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

A(nother) EC post with plot holes as wide as the Grand Canyon...

Translated as "it doesn't fit my agenda" so I have to try(fail) to discredit it. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Translated as "it doesn't fit my agenda" so I have to try(fail) to discredit it. 

Nope...you are a contrarian...this was evident long before Covid in your posting...

Note for you, I don't have an agenda, all I am doing is trying to live my best life without putting others at risk AKA following the rules as laid out by people being advised by others far ****ing smarter and knowledgeable on the pandemic than you and the remaining 2 of the three Amigos.

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The general public have more common sense than the scientists when it comes to dealing with a pandemic?  :rofl:

Absolutely priceless.

But, but he kens better...

:berra:

Malinga the Swinga
15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The general public have more common sense than the scientists when it comes to dealing with a pandemic?  :rofl:

Absolutely priceless.

It doesn't help when cases such as Enzo highlighted exist. The guy did not test positive for Covid at any time, was ill with another infection yet when he died, was recorded as Covid because, well no one knows exactly

If it happened here, its a fair question to ask if it happened elsewhere. 

21 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Nope...you are a contrarian...this was evident long before Covid in your posting...

Note for you, I don't have an agenda, all I am doing is trying to live my best life without putting others at risk AKA following the rules as laid out by people being advised by others far ****ing smarter and knowledgeable on the pandemic than you and the remaining 2 of the three Amigos.

Tell you what fella, you follow the  instructions you are given from the podium each lunchtime, the rest of us, confident that we're a bit smarter than the FM at least,  will separate the wheat from the chaff. She will though, be glad that the patronising "saving lives" mantra is ensuring compliance among certain sections of society,  most likely her core support. There is a fine balance between consent and coercion in the UK. China, we most certainly are not.

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It doesn't help when cases such as Enzo highlighted exist. The guy did not test positive for Covid at any time, was ill with another infection yet when he died, was recorded as Covid because, well no one knows exactly

If it happened here, its a fair question to ask if it happened elsewhere. 

They won't have read it Malinga.  You're wasting your time.

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Tell you what fella, you follow the  instructions you are given from the podium each lunchtime, the rest of us, confident that we're a bit smarter than the FM at least,  will separate the wheat from the chaff. She will though, be glad that the patronising "saving lives" mantra is ensuring compliance among certain sections of society,  most likely her core support. There is a fine balance between consent and coercion in the UK. China, we most certainly are not.

:cornette:

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Absolutely priceless.

:cornette:

39 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Absolutely priceless.

A scientist would say the best way to “deal” with a pandemic is for everyone to stay home 24/7, allowing one family member to emerge once a week to buy tinned goods. 

Is that common sense?

16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It doesn't help when cases such as Enzo highlighted exist. The guy did not test positive for Covid at any time,

He declined a test after it was known there was Covid present in the home.

18 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

was ill with another infection yet when he died

COPD isn't an infection, but it does increase susceptibility to infection.

21 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

was recorded as Covid because, well no one knows exactly

Because that was the doctor's opinion.

23 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If it happened here, its a fair question to ask if it happened elsewhere

Of those that die within 28 days of a positive test for Covid about 10% have another reason entered as the underlying cause on the death certificate. If there's a conspiracy to exaggerate the number of Covid deaths it doesn't appear to be working.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

A scientist would say the best way to “deal” with a pandemic is for everyone to stay home 24/7, allowing one family member to emerge once a week to buy tinned goods. 

Is that common sense?

You can look at Vietnam, Taiwan, South Korea for how science dealt with Covid. 

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I wonder just how much of this has gone on ? 

A  distant family member of mine who has been ill for years sadly passed away last week, he was 88 and has officially been marked as a covid case.

Don't get me wrong sad that he has passed away but nothing that was unexpected covid or not.

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

You can look at Vietnam, Taiwan, South Korea for how science dealt with Covid. 

I don’t think they know what ‘scientist’ means

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

According reports this morning. All over 18’s to be offered by the end of July. 

It's an incredible feat. I said at the time when the Scottish government published the vaccine plan that it was ambitious but all targets are being hit. So fair play.

39 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Some reports are saying England are planning to have 4/5 stage release from lockdown. The country will come out/progress as a whole as opposed to any regional basis. 

Schools to open first with hospitality as the last thing. The rough timescale talking about is schools going back 8 March and hospitality around end May/June. 

To me this seems sensible. Different regional tiers just means people are more likely to travel. Hopefully hear some good news next week about Scotland's own plan. I can't imagine it will be much different than England's. 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, LMc said:

Israel now starting to ease restrictions as the vaccination roll out continues and proves effective.

:pleasing:

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Absolutely priceless.

Yet the poster still posts pish.

Amazing.

12 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

:rofl:

"There is a fine balance between consent and coercion in the UK."... there isn't. There really isn't. There's a huge gap between consent & coercion. 

6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

:rofl:

"There is a fine balance between consent and coercion in the UK."... there isn't. There really isn't. There's a huge gap between consent & coercion. 

"Balance"....not "gap". The plastic commies who love being controlled and patronised by govts should be careful what they wish for.

18 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

A friend of mine got covid test on Saturday and apparently “ positive “ she was hoping to get emergency dental care on Thursday but was declined due to covid status . She was then taken by ambulance to a and e . The paramedic did some tests on her and he told her it was almost impossible that she could have tested positive for covid on Saturday due to her healthy blood tests / etc which he did in the ambulance . Sorry I can’t remember the actual tests but I think it was to do with her white blood cells 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic