Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

She's clearly talking about having a phased plan out of it rather than just lifting all restrictions and going back to normal in March.

Yes, cause Devi is great yeah? A biologist with a flair for political activism. Quite why she is driving our response to this and flogging the flawed "elimination" strategy is not clear. Time to take your blinkers off and apply a bit of critical thinking. And, no  there isn't a link to that.

39 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Amazing it is not.  It's entirely symptomatic of his non-functional rationale.  A scorching case of confirmation bias.  If Daffy Duck appeared on the telly in a lab coat and said something he liked,  Professor Daffy would become 'the science'.  

Very funny. 😂😂😂

Very true as well 👍

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

She's clearly talking about having a phased plan out of it rather than just lifting all restrictions and going back to normal in March.

Take from it what you want, the above isn't what she said though, "lifting things in March just means we'll be back in lockdown in April". "Things" will be lifted in March. Maybe she meant what you've said, but that isn't what she said. She's also in favour of an elimination strategy so surely the lifting of any restrictions would be counter to that strategy until we've improved test and trace?

Edit: I should add, I agree with the vast majority of what she says in that clip though. Just not that bit. 👍

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, cause Devi is great yeah? A biologist with a flair for political activism. Quite why she is driving our response to this and flogging the flawed "elimination" strategy is not clear. Time to take your blinkers off and apply a bit of critical thinking. And, no  there isn't a link to that.

As you know full well, she is not just a biologist. She is on the Scottish Government Covid-19 Advisory Group (meaning she has access to all the data required to make informed decisions), she is the Chair of Global Public Health at Edinburgh Uni, she is a doctorate in Global Economics Management at Oxford, including doctorates in medical anthropology. She is one of the best placed people in the world to give advice on this.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Take from it what you want, the above isn't what she said though, "lifting things in March just means we'll be back in lockdown in April". "Things" will be lifted in March. Maybe she meant what you've said, but that isn't what she said. She's also in favour of an elimination strategy so surely the lifting of any restrictions would be counter to that strategy until we've improved test and trace?

She has said multiple times that we need an effective track and trace system.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

As you know full well, she is not just a biologist. She is on the Scottish Government Covid-19 Advisory Group (meaning she has access to all the data required to make informed decisions), she is the Chair of Global Public Health at Edinburgh Uni, she is a doctorate in Global Economics Management at Oxford, including doctorates in medical anthropology. She is one of the best placed people in the world to give advice on this.

Rubbish ! 

Professor Enzo knows better. 

He's the Head of the JKB critical thinkers asylum 😏

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, luckydug said:

Rubbish ! 

Professor Enzo knows better. 

He's the Head of the JKB critical thinkers asylum 😏

:rofl:

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

She has said multiple times that we need an effective track and trace system.

I know, hence why lifting any restrictions whilst our current system is still failing wouldn't align with everything else she's said...which is why I don't agree with what you took from that clip. I think her approach would have been the right one, that ship has sailed though sadly.

Edited by Taffin

18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Indeed.

She was talking today about the phased opening of schools starting tomorrow.

Just now, Taffin said:

I know, hence why lifting any restrictions whilst our current sysyem is still failing wouldn't align with everything else she's said...hence why I don't agree with what you took from that clip. I think her approach would have been the right one, that ship has sailed though sadly.

She talks about the need for tighter border controls and compensation for those who need to self-isolate. We're trying to do this.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

She talks about the need for tighter border controls and compensation for those who need to self-isolate. We're trying to do this.

She does. Hopefully red zone quarantine is enough.

Seymour M Hersh
43 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

She's not all that highly thought of at the University mind you. 

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, weehammy said:

You forgot to mention that she also has the Girl Guides Sewing Badge.

Hey Duggee medicine badge, more likely.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Shits with the cubicle door open, apparently. :(

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Shits with the cubicle door open, apparently. :(

Nope, I don't think it's that maybe doesn't spray though.:toilet: Something to do with not getting published or accredited very much. I have family who work there and her ego might grate with others. As an aside who knew the science world was so ****ing bitchy! :lol:

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Arrant nonsense.  Qualified epidemiologists with years of experience are far more qualified. At UK level, it is accepted that the elimination strategy is flawed. Panic stricken lockdowns would be required every time someone sneezes . Not acceptable in the UK, more so in Scotland that relies on tourism so heavily. 

Fair enough, listen to her opinion but hyping her up beyond belief while discrediting any other scientist who shares a different opinion,  isn't really credible. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Mrs JH tested positive yesterday so I got tested

Positive result today. So far a combination of manflu and the shits.

So those bog roll panic buyers from 2020 knew something after all... 🤔 

Get well soon. 🤒 👍 

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Indeed.  It takes a special type of numbskull to characterise those in agreement with the necessity of the rules as actively welcoming the rules.  The sort of person who has roughly a 50% success rate of putting their socks on before their shoes.

2C84D43E-C88F-476C-BBBC-20FF9CF5D34B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Costanza said:

I completely agree with this.

An elimination strategy with a proper test track and trace system is the only sure way to ensure no major ICU spikes, lesser risk of mutations that could impact vaccine efficacy and a further lockdown.

In addition, the 'vaccinate the vulnerable then open up' supporters might want to pay attention to the below.

I think we've already reached the point of significant long term health impacts and rehabilitation because of covid and to my mind, it would be reckless to open up too soon until we really get a handle on how many people this is going to affect.

I kinds stopped reading after this line....".One study looking at 47,780 coronavirus patients who were discharged alive by the end of August last year !

Governor Tarkin
53 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

As an aside who knew the science world was so ****ing bitchy! :lol:

Academia is a dog-eat-dog, competitive industry. Department politics can be horrific, but I guess anywhere there are big egos is the same.

The amount of arse licking, sniping, back stabbing, and thunder stealing that goes on puts the building trade to shame. :lol:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

So those bog roll panic buyers from 2020 knew something after all... 🤔 

Get well soon. 🤒 👍 

image.png.0aaa73e8cbaf16a2cc3b784f78db5c57.png

53 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Yes, I'm sure they are in the habit of appointing people they think lowly of to Chair posts.

50 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Arrant nonsense.  Qualified epidemiologists with years of experience are far more qualified. At UK level, it is accepted that the elimination strategy is flawed. Panic stricken lockdowns would be required every time someone sneezes . Not acceptable in the UK, more so in Scotland that relies on tourism so heavily. 

Fair enough, listen to her opinion but hyping her up beyond belief while discrediting any other scientist who shares a different opinion,  isn't really credible. 

She is part of an advisory group made up of scientists across many fields, including epidemiologists. Their expertise is shared with her. If you actually listened to a word she said you would know that she is very much against having to continually go into panic stricken lockdowns.

Edited by Ray Gin

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Yes, I'm sure they are in the habit of appointing people they think lowly of to Chair posts.

Jesus mate you're making support of scientist A or B like supporting a football team, tribal. Grow up ffs she's not well liked at the Uni is some quarters. 

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Although, he's obviously not as well qualified as some of the "experts" on here, Dr Lee explains why lockdown may have prevented Covid mutating in to the milder form that  it would, naturally,  be expected to do. Hopefully even the most deluded will follow the science.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/covids-metamorphosis-has-lockdown-made-the-virus-more-deadly

Yes the experts on this will clearly have their views which ofcourse is the absolute correct view.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Daffy+Duck+seeks+expert+advice+by+talkin

lol

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

We'll soon find out how much Devi knows. Ease restrictions in March, back in lockdown by April was it? We're about to find out how that plays out given the rumoured content of Monday's upcoming announcement.

Correct . Was watching ITV national news which lead about easing of restrictions soon due to large uptake of the virus and then watched STV news and guess what the dentist was on talking about easing of restrictions in next few months.  The SG really are shit bags. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

You forgot to mention that she also has the Girl Guides Sewing Badge.

and a Blue Peter badge 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Governor Tarkin

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Jesus mate you're making support of scientist A or B like supporting a football team, tribal. Grow up ffs she's not well liked at the Uni is some quarters. 

Catches the guitar string with her teeth.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

You're telling me to grow up while sharing bitchy comments about her apparently not being very popular in some quarters. :rofl: 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I know  hes practically licking her **** 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

You're telling me to grow up while sharing bitchy comments about her apparently not being very popular in some quarters. :rofl: 

This may come as a shock to you but I've not shared any comments just a general perception she's not rated. The comments I'll keep to myself. 

So we took a great walk through Bruntsfield today . I  got a sausage on a roll from " Quick and plenty" ( the local greasy spoon) as a " treat" from my partner.  It could have been  filet mignon yummy.  We took walk through the meadows and it was busy. We both noted its just as busy as previous February times sans Covid.  Good to see people getting out , walking the dog, playing football, sitting on benches drinking coffee or whatever...Princes street gardens were also quite busy.  Nice to see people living life. 

Seymour M Hersh
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

As an aside do you remember Professor David Begg? The muppet from CEC who began all the anti car stuff in the city? He had his "Chair" at Dundee bought and paid for by Stagecoach. So maybe they do hand them out like confetti if the "donation" is of the right value. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Inebriated with the exuberance of your own verbosity - and not for the first time.

(With apologies to Disraeli)

If Carlsberg did pomposity. 🤣 Vic claimed a few weeks ago that Scotland wasn't following an elimination strategy, only for the Biologist, the Dentist and the wee Ayrshire keelie to mention the E word, each and every one of them, within days.

30 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Number of new daily cases in UK has dropped below five figures today.

That feels like really good news.  

Clutching at straws.

In other news, England has now overtaken Belgium and now has the highest Covid death rate among European countries of significant size (only San Marino is higher). What is more is that they have managed this with fewer per capita cases of the infection and their world leading vaccination programme.

Scotland is lagging behind in this race now and has been overtaken by France, Spain, Italy, Chechia and many others with still more close behind and gaining rapidly. Surely we must defer to the non – Scottish advice and bind ourselves to the UK decision making if we want to avoid being also-rans in this race. We won't win this race with the kind of advice we are getting from Devi.

It’s not a race some say, but it is, in so many ways, but particularly as in so many other aspects of our lives the UK seems destined and desperate to win the race to the bottom, with little desire or ability to avoid it.

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I didn’t say it was impossible and I don’t think many scientists said that either.

What they have said is that with the level of infection we have in Europe and circulating in the UK combined with the interconnected, global nature of the UK compared to those countries (NZ, Australia) and the fact that this far into the pandemic with vaccine roll out professing so well people just wouldn’t accept the severity and extended nature of restrictions to follow an elimination strategy.

It’s not that it doesn’t work but it’s more that that particular ship has sailed for the UK.  

That's a fair comment. Adopting the strategy last summer and being able to live our lives relatively restriction free but without foreign travel now would have been attainable and had public buy in.

It probably has sailed in terms of public compliance now but if we open up again before (IMO) we have about 70% vaccination and an incredibly low transmission rate, then we'll likely have to lock down again, and that's the last thing we all want.

22 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

As an aside do you remember Professor David Begg? The muppet from CEC who began all the anti car stuff in the city? He had his "Chair" at Dundee bought and paid for by Stagecoach. So maybe they do hand them out like confetti if the "donation" is of the right value. 

Yes a chair at Edinburgh University isnt exactly prestigious.  Practically handing them out now.  

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If Carlsberg did pomposity. 🤣 Vic claimed a few weeks ago that Scotland wasn't following an elimination strategy, only for the Biologist, the Dentist and the wee Ayrshire keelie to mention the E word, each and every one of them, within days.

:) Pontificating comes to mind too. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

At U.K. level they have murdered 120k people, it’s an easy one for me, look back over the last year and the ones that have urged caution have done credibility, others not so much 🤷‍♂️

Glad to see a move back to schooling for some pupils

Nephew will attend school one afternoon per week initially for 2 hours so hardly full time education..starting next week

The majority of us are not scientists so we assume the safety information supplied which seems to indicate the younger children do not pass this on as others do and in which case its right for the nursery schools and primary schools to also open on a phased basis.

I hope we do not hear from the Teachers or their union trying to stop this process and they accept there will always be a risk....the hard working shop and supermarket staff have done so for months to service the community

Take precautions as requested and lets monitor the next few weeks but it must go ahead

Things have to start somewhere

By late March we will have seen all over 60's (and more) vaccinated and by April all over 50's.......then we must move forward....hairdressers, cafes to sit in, pubs under limited opening as previously happened and of course consideration of full time education in schools and consideration of university opening.

I'd like to see more but simply put you cannot trust certain groups such as students to stick to the 'rules' as we have seem before but at least the spread to the most vulnerable will be reduced by then thanks to the vaccine.

In May and all of this providing the previous steps have not had any major impact we need to move to being able to attend outdoor events in large numbers (though limited) and consideration of things like weddings/funerals etc under limited numbers...........all the time ensuring as many are vaccinated on an ongoing basis

I doubt we will eliminate the virus especially as we have to think of travel outside the UK as well but getting numbers down is acheivable so the NHS can cope but there will be spikes from time to time

We'll need to keep some precautions going such as face mask wearing, washing hands etc etc and if possible distancing but if we were talking about only UK citizens only we could see a move to a more normal situation as per Australia and New Zealand for example

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Clutching at straws.

In other news, England has now overtaken Belgium and now has the highest Covid death rate among European countries of significant size (only San Marino is higher). What is more is that they have managed this with fewer per capita cases of the infection and their world leading vaccination programme.

Scotland is lagging behind in this race now and has been overtaken by France, Spain, Italy, Chechia and many others with still more close behind and gaining rapidly. Surely we must defer to the non – Scottish advice and bind ourselves to the UK decision making if we want to avoid being also-rans in this race. We won't win this race with the kind of advice we are getting from Devi.

It’s not a race some say, but it is, in so many ways, but particularly as in so many other aspects of our lives the UK seems destined and desperate to win the race to the bottom, with little desire or ability to avoid it.

It’s great how much I irritate you.  Almost literally every time I post you are there desperate to be negative and pick an argument.  

Living rent free in your sad, twisted, pathetic mind makes me laugh.  Periodically I read your replies to see if it is still happening and you never let me down.

Literally only you could think the lowest case numbers in months isn’t good news. 

Joking aside the fact that you clearly take such pleasure in the death rate in England is sick and twisted. You are the most disgusting person on this thread by a mile which is why you are blocked by so many.  

51 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I kinds stopped reading after this line....".One study looking at 47,780 coronavirus patients who were discharged alive by the end of August last year !

Don't follow your point there?

Link to ONS figures below. Personally think this should be getting a lot more attention.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/adhocs/12788updatedestimatesoftheprevalenceoflongcovidsymptoms

3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Clutching at straws.

I'm struggling to work out what was going through your head when you posted there.

England's case figures provide excellent news. That's a fact. Quite how that "clutches at straws", I don't know. Why it provoked death comparisons between countries, only you can answer that.  

We are on the way out of this and lockdowns will soon end. Some people seem genuinely disappointed by that, but the cossetting, the furlough, the podium platitudes, the big state comfort blanket....it's all coming to an end. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news 

7 minutes ago, 3Bigcupsoon said:

At U.K. level they have murdered 120k people, it’s an easy one for me, look back over the last year and the ones that have urged caution have done credibility, others not so much 🤷‍♂️

:cornette:

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm struggling to work out what was going through your head when you posted there.

England's case figures provide excellent news. That's a fact. Quite how that "clutches at straws", I don't know. Why it provoked death comparisons between countries, only you can answer that.  

We are on the way out of this and lockdowns will soon end. Some people seem genuinely disappointed by that, but the cossetting, the furlough, the podium platitudes, the big state comfort blanket....it's all coming to an end. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news 

He did it partly to have a go at me as he does when I post anything.  I blocked him ages ago but periodically read his posts to see if he is still as stupid as ever.

Other posters have suggested he’s a bot and I do wonder as to be so wrong so often takes a special kind of effort.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic