• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

I thought Sturgeon said earlier in the day they were to shut

I think the UK Government holds the power in this scenario though.

Sports Direct and Evan's Cycles staying open tomorrow. Sports Direct claiming they are key because of the range of products they sell. What I will say is that for retail the position is clear with the list of premises which are allowed to stay open. Sport shops are not on it!

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Sports Direct and Evan's Cycles staying open tomorrow. Sports Direct claiming they are key because of the range of products they sell. What I will say is that for retail the position is clear with the list of premises which are allowed to stay open. Sport shops are not on it!

Aye folk are desperate for a pair of Donnay socks 😂

Trump saying "America was not built to be shut down"

He's probably going to relax everything in the next couple of weeks and kill thousands of people.

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Aye folk are desperate for a pair of Donnay socks 😂

well if the toilet roll stock issues continue for any longer...

gashauskis9
28 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Seem to be asking folk on the news if they could cope with doing one shopping a week?

I dont recall that being mentioned

Id rather continue to walk to Cameron Toll (and make it all part of a longer walk) every second or third day and buy what I deemed a few essentials rather than do a weekly hoard.

Bit daft if it is once a week.  That just encourages stock piling and panic buying even more.

Haringshairband
1 hour ago, jambogaza said:

So presumably I cannot take my children to their grandparents, for babysitting to allow me to work from home?

:rofl:

1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Bit daft if it is once a week.  That just encourages stock piling and panic buying even more.

Exactly.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Trump saying "America was not built to be shut down"

He's probably going to relax everything in the next couple of weeks and kill thousands of people.

He doesn't want it "open" either. Slavering front bum!

3 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Is a weekly shop stock piling and panic buying? 

Turns out I've been one of the dicks. Apologies.

2 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

But that can't be because everyone on here said how great and clear it was.

What should have happened...

Here is a list of essential businesses. If you work for one of these industries and can't work from home then you may fo to work. All of the other businesses must close, unless you can operate from home. Other than that, don't go out unless to the shops, hospital, care for others or to walk your dog. The end.

Sawdust Caesar
11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Sports Direct staff were threatened with the sack if they stayed at home . 

I hope the govt can fine any companies that coerce staff, that are not in essential jobs, to come into work.

gashauskis9
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Is a weekly shop stock piling and panic buying? 

Turns out I've been one of the dicks. Apologies.

Behave.  I didn’t say anything of the sort.  All I’m saying is that by giving folk a once a week window you are encouraging some of the behaviours witnessed this week.  Funny enough, there isn’t a simple solution to this!

annushorribilis III
Just now, jonesy said:

Good point. The idea of a ‘weekly shop’ often leads to food waste anyway, something which needs to be kept in mind at this time of hysteria and irresponsible behaviour. 

This is gonna be a problem because in most supermarkets I've been in you are very restricted on some key food items  and I won't be able to do a "weekly" shop to get enough for 3 adults. 

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, jumpship said:

I'm at work now. I work in a setting were around 50 folks gather every night. 

Dogging? 

annushorribilis III
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Every three days should suffice for most households. A bit of meat, a bit of fish, some vegetables and some fruit. A couple of loaves and some kind of pasta/rice. Now and again a top up on butter/oil and condiments. 

Agreed but my point (which I made , badly, if at all) is I'd rather go once a week to minimise exposure. 

Wife can't go as she's severely asthmatic. 

12 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Behave.  I didn’t say anything of the sort.  All I’m saying is that by giving folk a once a week window you are encouraging some of the behaviours witnessed this week.  Funny enough, there isn’t a simple solution to this!

I shop once a week, being forced to shop once a week won't change my behaviours, I'll buy a weeks worth of stuff.

If a weeks worth of stuff isn't stock piling then great, I'm not being a dick.

Those who are stock piling and panic buying will do it whether they're allowed to shop once a week, twice a week or everyday...as we've seen already. This rule doesn't encourage it, but it may well be used by some as some kind of mitigation for their actions.

annushorribilis III

https://time.com/5805368/will-coronavirus-go-away-world-health-organization/

Just a little excerpt from the above , that maybe offers a glimmer of hope.

The article is easy reading,no scientific jargon. 

Be safe everyone. 

How do you think this will end?

This will end with humanity victorious over yet another virus, there’s no question about that. The question is how much and how fast we will take the measures necessary to minimize the damage that this thing can do. In time, we will have therapeutics, we will have vaccines, we’re in a race against that.

And it’s going to take great cooperation and patience from the general population to play their part because at the end of the day it’s going to be the general population that stops this thing and slows it down enough to get it under control.

John Gentleman
9 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Nope, not until a cure or a prevention has been found, I was hearing earlier than a woman in Japan has managed to catch this virus twice now, so herd immunity doesn't work either. 

Who did you hear it from? A bloke doon the pub wi' his dug? The scientific community (who you should be listening to) have largely debunked the notion 'that you can catch it twice'. It seems the most likely scenario here is that she never fully recovered from her initial infection. Stop spreading drivel, however unintended.

Of 81,093 people in China who caught it, 72703 have recovered. NONE have been 're-infected'.

J.T.F.Robertson
7 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Who did you hear it from? A bloke doon the pub wi' his dug? The scientific community (who you should be listening to) have largely debunked the notion 'that you can catch it twice'. It seems the most likely scenario here is that she never fully recovered from her initial infection. Stop spreading drivel, however unintended.

Of 81,093 people in China who caught it, 72703 have recovered. NONE have been 're-infected'.

A glimmer of encouragement.

You're a gentleman, John.

Doctor FinnBarr
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

20200323_234404.jpg

Once this eventually clears lets get prepared to be hammered in tax for many years to come, Boris and chums WILL want that money back and Amazon, Starbucks etc etc ain't going to be the ones taking the hit!

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Once this eventually clears lets get prepared to be hammered in tax for many years to come, Boris and chums WILL want that money back and Amazon, Starbucks etc etc ain't going to be the ones taking the hit!

I wouldn't be worrying about that right now. 

30 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I'm thinking about shopping twice a week, with a contingency of 1 or none.

But more aware of the risk that shopping introduces. Social distancing, touching things, cleaning my hands a lot, using contactless payment. (Thats all I can think of at this moment.)

I currently don't have any symptoms of it.

I don't know if I have had this and not noticed, or currently have it, and it is still incubating in me, or I don't have it. 

But I don't want it now.

And I don't want to spread it if I have it now.

The goal of this lockdown is to slow the spread of it at this moment. 

Keep well.

Yep completely agree about not getting it and don't want to go that often either.

I could be wrong but I'd far rather in with a focus on a set amount of core 'perishables' or key households in mind than wander trying to think what we might need for a whole week for my wife and I, and two cats

Im primarily doing Sainsbury self shop.

Take own bag, wipe down handset, self scan, straight into bag and pay.

Then off to the toilets as they have a hand wash outside the toilets without having to go in.

Edited by DETTY29

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

I wouldn't be worrying about that right now. 

I'm not, I've got much more things to worry about just now. I was only saying because thats what will happen.

indianajones
11 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

The NHS would be in a better place if Boris and chums taxed these corporations properly in the first place. Disgrace. 

Terrifying times. Isolating by myself in the Highlands. Partner was in Japan and is isolating in Norway. No idea when we will get to see each other again. 

37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I shop once a week, being forced to shop once a week won't change my behaviours, I'll buy a weeks worth of stuff.

If a weeks worth of stuff isn't stock piling then great, I'm not being a dick.

Those who are stock piling and panic buying will do it whether they're allowed to shop once a week, twice a week or everyday...as we've seen already. This rule doesn't encourage it, but it may well be used by some as some kind of mitigation for their actions.

I'll need to change my habits, as I used to buy stuff on the way home  that I fancied at the time.

I guess I could play food Russian Roulette and see how it rolls, but don't fancy the idea of eating a sausage wrapped in a pitta like someone else on here said they had last week.  Though to be fair, whack some branston and cheese on it and it sounds pretty ****ing awesome.

14 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

This could be the catalyst that ends all the tax evasion.

:Aye:

indianajones
2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I'll need to change my habits, as I used to buy stuff on the way home  that I fancied at the time.

I guess I could play food Russian Roulette and see how it rolls, but don't fancy the idea of eating a sausage wrapped in a pitta like someone else on here said they had last week.  Though to be fair, whack some branston and cheese on it and it sounds pretty ****ing awesome.

Try get some smoked paprika in the herbs section. 

Makes everything taste so good! 

Just now, indianajones said:

Try get some smoked paprika in the herbs section. 

Makes everything taste so good! 

Hahaha

I have about 4 tubs of it.

indianajones
Just now, Lovecraft said:

Hahaha

I have about 4 tubs of it.

So so good. 

Its on the list for whenever I decide to venture to the shops. 

Had an email from the company that clean our communal stair once a week assuring us that they'll continue to clean the stair as they're an essential service.

Am I wrong in thinking they're not an essential service (especially as their mop and bucket sit in a neighbours garden for days on end). I have no confidence they're not using the same cloth for multiple stairs.

Just now, indianajones said:

So so good. 

Its on the list for whenever I decide to venture to the shops. 

Yeah.  I love cooking, so I will have no problem there.

Just whacking some smoked paprika into a basic soup can make it taste amazing.

You can see why spices were so coveted.

John Gentleman
25 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Not necessarily. The UK, like all major/mid-size countries has a fiat currency. That means money can be 'printed' into existence (quaintly called 'Quantitative Easing (QE)'. The only constraint is 'markets' will judge that currency's value, relative to other currencies, based on the amount of fiat they create.

It's the 'break-glass-in-case-of-emergency' option. As with all things, there'll be winners and losers. One of the BIG losers will be the US, who've been practising QE for years, at the behest of u-know-who.

ps: not defending Boris, but bizarrely, he could be a 'man for the times', like Churchill was.

Edited by John Gentleman

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Had an email from the company that clean our communal stair once a week assuring us that they'll continue to clean the stair as they're an essential service.

Am I wrong in thinking they're not an essential service (especially as their mop and bucket sit in a neighbours garden for days on end). I have no confidence they're not using the same cloth for multiple stairs.

If they leave their shit sitting in bucket for days, I imagine they will just be spreading skank everywhere.   That's not even anything to do with COVID, it's just your cleaners are shit.

Dagger Is Back

Finished work tonight at 10pm and was emailed a letter that I can use if we’re stopped on the way back in tomorrow afternoon.

Keep hoping that it’s all just a bad dream

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Finished work tonight at 10pm and was emailed a letter that I can use if we’re stopped on the way back in tomorrow afternoon.

Keep hoping that it’s all just a bad dream

Sadly it isn’t. This your new job?

12 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

If they leave their shit sitting in bucket for days, I imagine they will just be spreading skank everywhere.   That's not even anything to do with COVID, it's just your cleaners are shit.

Yeah, I've tried having it out with them before, the guy that does the stair doesn't speak English and if you phone the office they just say they'll get someone new on it but never do.

I'm just annoyed they're trying to pass their service off as essential when the guy should just be staying at home.

Rant over.

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah, I've tried having it out with them before, the guy that does the stair doesn't speak English and if you phone the office they just say they'll get someone new on it but never do.

I'm just annoyed they're trying to pass their service off as essential when the guy should just be staying at home.

Rant over.

My guess is they just want their cash for mopping skank all over your stairs.

I'm guessing the stair cleaning business is as sketchy as the window cleaning business.

heartsfc_fan
6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Rant over.

Get a communal letter together and tell them to feck off.

Years ago I had a firm that basically soaked water on the stairs and charged us. Chancers.

6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

My guess is they just want their cash for mopping skank all over your stairs.

I'm guessing the stair cleaning business is as sketchy as the window cleaning business.

I'm on the 3rd floor so at least I don't have to worry about window cleaners.

3 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Get a communal letter together and tell them to feck off.

Years ago I had a firm that basically soaked water on the stairs and charged us. Chancers.

I think I'll use my time at home to do that.

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

That was me :lol:

To be fair, we managed to get mince from a farm shop on Friday, so we made lasagna, but that will run out tomorrow. 

No sausages either, so it might have to be baked beans stuffed into a pitta next. 

Wild scenes in Dundee :lol:

Dagger Is Back
38 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sadly it isn’t. This your new job?

Yes Dave. Packing processed food orders for the elderly. Demand gone through the roof so they’ve been taking on a load of new folks

It’s going to be quite surreal driving through to Livingston tomorrow 

11 minutes ago, tian447 said:

That was me :lol:

To be fair, we managed to get mince from a farm shop on Friday, so we made lasagna, but that will run out tomorrow. 

No sausages either, so it might have to be baked beans stuffed into a pitta next. 

Wild scenes in Dundee :lol:

😄

Get yourselves a stew made.  Basic stuff needed and will last for 5+ days.

Still do think a sausage, pickle and cheese wrapped in a pitta sounds pretty good though.

Better than Pangolin penis.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic