Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well obviously it will be the Govt fault surely as they have given the go  ahead for the restrictions to be lifted? 

That's a good enough reason why they shouldn't have allowed it in the first place it.

Stupidity. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly, best not tell the media that it's what virus' do, mutate, it's how they evolve and survive, and we humans have been in an arms race against the 'bugs' since............well forever, really.

Matt Hancock didn't help with the way he announced it.  His tone and demeanour seemed to suggest something very bad.

Starting to think he might be on the spectrum

Chris Whitty made an interesting comment about how the new variant came to light through the surveillance system.  If he meant the community surveys to estimate virus prevalence then there's a reasonable chance that a large amount of these incidences were asymptomatic infections.  That being the case,  it may be possible that the theorised increased infectiousness / transmissibility is due to a greater rate of asymptomatic spread than the previous dominant variants.  More asymptomatic spread tends to lend itself to a 'weaker' potency in terms of severity of illness.  

But... they're not giving much away right now but the 'reading between the lines' language is distinctly clear.  There's quite a bit of concern about the vaccines.  New variants and multiple variants is routine knowledge but this one is absolutely making people nervous.

Just now, Candy said:

Matt Hancock didn't help with the way he announced it.  His tone and demeanour seemed to suggest something very bad.

Bit insulting to those with a disability. He hasn't got a disability . Hes just an incompetent idiot and not up to the job .  

1 minute ago, Candy said:

It's the way they get people's attention, scare the shit out of joe public, and it works, most of the time.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Bit insulting to those with a disability. He hasn't got a disability . Hes just an incompetent idiot and not up to the job .  

Probably. It was a genuine point though. I seen some interviews with him where he had no concept of personal space. Looked like he has a bit of a struggle being a normal human being.

4 minutes ago, Candy said:

Probably. It was a genuine point though. I seen some interviews with him where he had no concept of personal space. Looked like he has a bit of a struggle being a normal human being.

That's what being a politician does to you.

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just been watching ITV news.  Mary Nightingale was asking a reporter whether " people should be worried about the new variants in the virus"..?  She looked gob smacked when he said " No".... Not what she wanted really ?  The ITV news and STV are the main fear mongering media outlets i feel.  Channel 4 used to be more measured but they have went radge as well now.  However ITV news is a bit contradictory .  There is now an item about a guy who died of cancer but wasnt given treatment / appointment in enough time due to Covid.   Shocking. 

30 or 40 years ago, this pandemic would have passed with barely a mention on the news. Hospitals were cleaner and better organised and infection outbreaks were hardly heard of within that setting. Nowadays, with rolling news, younger people generally less resilient and an entitlement culture with people demanding to be "kept safe", this s**t show has been allowed to dominate our lives and has been blown out of all proportion.  Hundreds of people are still testing  "positive" uo to 8 weeks after an initial diagnosis and are stuck in a never ending cycle of self-isolation. In some health board areas in England, up to 24% of positive tests fell into this category.  The PCR tests were never designed for mass testing and certainly not for the asymptomatic . You're right James, the obsession with this virus has caused many deaths and has resulted in those with less "fashionable" conditions to be more or less disregarded.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I can't speak for other hospitals but it appears that at the Borders General Hospital no lessons have been learnt.

That article in the link I provided, when the spokesperson said that all staff had been tested, what he meant was that all ward 7 staff have been tested, the rest of the staff haven't been.  Mrs JJ & most of her collegues have never been tested, not once since this thing started.  I hear people on here say that care-home staff are getting tested twice a week, and that's great, however it's twice a week more than the staff at the BGH are getting tested which is..........well they aren't getting tested.

thats a disgrace and if the care home workers are actually getting tested (with reliable tests) then it’s not working great as there are still major outbreaks

the alien spotters who are not with “the science” assuming I’ve picked them up correctly have strongly challenged many things in “the science” 1 or 2 below : (again assuming I’ve picked it up correctly)

Rules are too complicated - take up too much resource and folk don’t understand them enough

finite resources need to be strongly focused on :

protecting the vulnerable through testing and shielding of them and those who come into contact with them so not 10 million students potentially visiting healthy grannies (albeit a risk is there) but hospitals and care homes etc

absolutely ensure that those with symptoms are isolated - folk think these anti-lockdown (although they recognise their worth as a short-term tool) are a bunch of libertarian irresponsible softies - there’s an interview with one of these chaps roughly saying u need to do whatever it takes to make folk isolate - sinews popping saying bin all the complications and make these folk isolate

seems we’re not protecting the vulnerable very well and way too soft on the non-isolators (especially if one of the figures quoted recently on here was correct)

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I felt last week that Edinburgh should have been placed in Tier 2. That was because although the data was marginal, I thought that Edinburgh should have been rewarded for having consistently kept the infection rate down. However, I can see how the SG was spooked by the rise in infections in the capital. In saying that, we've had plenty rises across the country like that before which turn out to be specific clusters and the rate drops again soon after, so I felt that we should just go for it.

The SG took a different approach. Remember also that they have far more data behind their decisions than we the public do (which is another matter altogether). They saw the slight rise but also, I suspect, considered that it was just the wrong time to put Edinburgh down a tier. In the lead up to Christmas there would no doubt have been an influx of folk from other areas coming into Tier 2 Edinburgh for a pint and some shopping. It could have been carnage.

So, they took the decision to delay a week and see what that case figure was going to do. The "political" decision would have been to put Edinburgh down into Tier 2. It would have been good for votes and support in the area. But they chose to make the hard decision and not do so, even knowing that it would create a backlash and cost them support in the capital. And they did it to protect the capital.

Now that's the sort of brave decision-making I like to see. It's just a shame that they didn't use the same decision-making when they didn't clamp down on Greater Glasgow sooner, when they didn't push Aberdeen (and probably Aberdeenshire at the time) back up to Tier 3, and when they gave the Tier 4's a 3-week shelf life come what may, etc...

Why is Edinburgh being treated differently then? There must be something behind it.

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

thats a disgrace and if the care home workers are actually getting tested (with reliable tests) then it’s not working great as there are still major outbreaks

the alien spotters who are not with “the science” assuming I’ve picked them up correctly have strongly challenged many things in “the science” 1 or 2 below : (again assuming I’ve picked it up correctly)

Rules are too complicated - take up too much resource and folk don’t understand them enough

finite resources need to be strongly focused on :

protecting the vulnerable through testing and shielding of them and those who come into contact with them so not 10 million students potentially visiting healthy grannies (albeit a risk is there) but hospitals and care homes etc

absolutely ensure that those with symptoms are isolated - folk think these anti-lockdown (although they recognise their worth as a short-term tool) are a bunch of libertarian irresponsible softies - there’s an interview with one of these chaps roughly saying u need to do whatever it takes to make folk isolate - sinews popping saying bin all the complications and make these folk isolate

seems we’re not protecting the vulnerable very well and way too soft on the non-isolators (especially if one of the figures quoted recently on here was correct)

Edited by Weakened Offender

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:conspiracy:

Do I know you, or you me? And endless stream of pointless emojis in reply to my posts is a bit disconcerting.

Weirdo.

Cue pointless emoji.

Seymour M Hersh

"Masks don’t work for the new variant, it enters via your hair. From tomorrow you must wear a paper bag on your head whilst on public transport, in shops and whilst not seated in a restaurant.

Well you heard it here first...and you know, if they did say it, I reckon at least 50% of the uk would do it!"

Words from someone else but I did find them amusing and possibly accurate. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Do I know you, or you me? And endless stream of pointless emojis in reply to my posts is a bit disconcerting.

Weirdo.

Cue pointless emoji.

Well stop posting pish.

:P

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Government threatening to take Greenwich Council to court if they close the schools early in Greenwich borough.

It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Well stop posting pish.

:P

I think it's a valid point. Why take a completely different approach with Edinburgh compared to the country's other big cities?

It would be nice to hear anyone's take on it who advocates it. Maybe I'm not reading the emoji's correctly. 🤔

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JyTees said:

I think it's a valid point. Why take a completely different approach with Edinburgh compared to the country's other big cities?

It would be nice to hear anyone's take on it who advocates it. Maybe I'm not reading the emoji's correctly. 🤔

I was absolutely raging last week when it was announced we were staying on Tier3.

I’m still not happy about it.

The way it’s went with infections II think NS got lucky.

The Mighty Thor

Listened to Eddie Mair tear some poor bint from PHE/Govt/something a new one earlier. She was banging on about following 'the science' etc etc so he asked her if that's the case why on earth we'd be having the 5 day free for all against a backdrop of rapidly rising cases?

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Well obviously it will be the Govt fault surely as they have given the go  ahead for the restrictions to be lifted? 

They have been making it up as they go along. Nobody really has a clue on how to contain it.

You can have a 100 Scientists, Professors and Medical experts and they will all say something different. Wear face masks, Don't wear face masks, Keep schools open, Shut the schools, Go to work, Don't go to work, Book a holiday, Don't book a holiday, Eat out to help out, Don't eat out to help out, Tier 3, Tier 4.

Politicians must be immune to this as nobody believes what they say anyway.

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I was absolutely raging last week when it was announced we were staying on Tier3.

I’m still not happy about it.

The way it’s went with infections II think NS got lucky.

I've been raging for the past two or three Tuesdays, where our numbers have warranted fairer treatment. When there were no apparent causes for concern. The question is why were we treated differently?

There's no doubt she got lucky this week. If it's a bit of an anomaly due to a spike with students or whatever, and our figures return to where they've been previously, will she continue to err on the side of caution where Edinburgh's concerned whilst allowing Glasgow and Aberdeen a fair bit of slack?

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They have been making it up as they go along. Nobody really has a clue on how to contain it.

You can have a 100 Scientists, Professors and Medical experts and they will all say something different. Wear face masks, Don't wear face masks, Keep schools open, Shut the schools, Go to work, Don't go to work, Book a holiday, Don't book a holiday, Eat out to help out, Don't eat out to help out, Tier 3, Tier 4.

Politicians must be immune to this as nobody believes what they say anyway.

Difficult to disagree with that.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I can't speak for other hospitals but it appears that at the Borders General Hospital no lessons have been learnt.

That article in the link I provided, when the spokesperson said that all staff had been tested, what he meant was that all ward 7 staff have been tested, the rest of the staff haven't been.  Mrs JJ & most of her collegues have never been tested, not once since this thing started.  I hear people on here say that care-home staff are getting tested twice a week, and that's great, however it's twice a week more than the staff at the BGH are getting tested which is..........well they aren't getting tested.

I had an operation about two weeks ago. Staff in that hospital said they weren’t being tested. Pretty baffling

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JyTees said:

I've been raging for the past two or three Tuesdays, where our numbers have warranted fairer treatment. When there were no apparent causes for concern. The question is why were we treated differently?

There's no doubt she got lucky this week. If it's a bit of an anomaly due to a spike with students or whatever, and our figures return to where they've been previously, will she continue to err on the side of caution where Edinburgh's concerned whilst allowing Glasgow and Aberdeen a fair bit of slack?

Really pissed off with it all.

Normally now I just watch the Tuesday briefings.

Tomorrow I’ll give it a miss because we all know what’s coming.

51 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

"Masks don’t work for the new variant, it enters via your hair. From tomorrow you must wear a paper bag on your head whilst on public transport, in shops and whilst not seated in a restaurant.

Well you heard it here first...and you know, if they did say it, I reckon at least 50% of the uk would do it!"

Words from someone else but I did find them amusing and possibly accurate. 

There is another new strain apparently Seymour. It knocks on your door, hides round the corner and then when you open the door...it pounces. Pesky feckers these viruses. 

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, JyTees said:

She's probably never forgiven Edinburgh because 61% of us voted no to independence in 2014 :P

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The rest of my news comes from here.

It's where all the experts are anyway. 👍

5 hours ago, westbow said:

Tbh, as much as I want it to be true, I cannot see the logic of the FM keeping us in tier 3 out of malice, prejudice or pacifying the great west coast unwashed. It must be the threat of yuletide boozing not to mention a certain game kicking off 2:15 on a Sunday before Christmas. Large groups of blokes nursing a scotch egg and singing, shouting and dancing about in celebration after every goal, etc. Pains me to say, but I think they called it right.

Not having a dig .. but what pubs do you really think would allow this behaviour on Sunday?

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

30 or 40 years ago, this pandemic would have passed with barely a mention on the news. Hospitals were cleaner and better organised and infection outbreaks were hardly heard of within that setting. Nowadays, with rolling news, younger people generally less resilient and an entitlement culture with people demanding to be "kept safe", this s**t show has been allowed to dominate our lives and has been blown out of all proportion.  Hundreds of people are still testing  "positive" uo to 8 weeks after an initial diagnosis and are stuck in a never ending cycle of self-isolation. In some health board areas in England, up to 24% of positive tests fell into this category.  The PCR tests were never designed for mass testing and certainly not for the asymptomatic . You're right James, the obsession with this virus has caused many deaths and has resulted in those with less "fashionable" conditions to be more or less disregarded.  

Well said Enzo 

Just now, jonesy said:

Usually at that stage they're just counting the frayed wad of banknotes I sheepishly hand over.

😅 

Doctor FinnBarr

Did anyone know that 3 types of rash which are not on the symptoms list are actually a symptom? I have all 3 that pretty much appeared this morning, 1 type on my hands, another on my arms and legs and the 3rd on my torso. Sent home from work as my temp was going wildly up and down, got tested at the airport tonight, thats one thing I hope I don't need to repeat.

2 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Did anyone know that 3 types of rash which are not on the symptoms list are actually a symptom? I have all 3 that pretty much appeared this morning, 1 type on my hands, another on my arms and legs and the 3rd on my torso. Sent home from work as my temp was going wildly up and down, got tested at the airport tonight, thats one thing I hope I don't need to repeat.

https://www.riskindoc.com/blog/skin-symptoms-of-covid-19-what-to-look-out-for

You know what....just finished the latest episode of 'Hospital' on BBC2 and it's heartbreaking to see the impacts and deaths through covid.  And before the usual start with the 'what about the other diseases', they also showed a guy who's cancer operation was continually cancelled due to lack of intensive care beds.... but he eventually got his operation and hopefully is on a way to recovery.

But others didn't recover.  They showed daughters getting to see their mother just before she passed because of covid.

It was real and it was shit to watch.  This shitty disease is real and is impacting everyone.  Whilst i'll disagree with how governments at times have managed or made decisions through this, I don't envy them one bit as there's no playbook for this.

But when I see political comparisons to 1930's Germany.  When I see folks basically lying against what science is telling us about all this it really annoys me.

Now some may be trolling for shits and giggles and some may be just devious c**ts but I do despair when people belittle this or think they know different to the mass majority of scientists.  Just gets my goat and is doing a disservice to those who have died of this terrible disease.

Anyway, rant over.  Peace out.

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There is another new strain apparently Seymour. It knocks on your door, hides round the corner and then when you open the door...it pounces. Pesky feckers these viruses. 

There’s a worse one that leaves a dog shit in a burning paper bag on your door mat 

59 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

57B2959D-618C-4B45-BFE6-8FBBFF29487C.jpeg

My old neighbour, before he passed god bless him. used to swear she was in blue movies before she was in On the Buses

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

My old neighbour, before he passed god bless him. used to swear she was in blue movies before she was in On the Buses

She was deinfately in soft porn ones in the 70s ! I think maybe “ confessions “ ones ! Not that I’ve seen them at all 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic