Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

7 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

It was opening up that was the problem, we should’ve had the borders shut with enforced isolation in hotels for incoming people. And not opened up so quickly. 

Agree.

I didn't expect any holiday flights to be allowed until at least the end of this year, when we were back in April/May.

I think its very clear that those entering/returning to the country have not been isolating/quarantining.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

lockdown measures causing more deaths - how global is ur equation - the aforementioned sunetra Gupta reckons there could be 130 million excess starvation deaths globally as a result of multiple countries locking down - is that in ur equation or the equation that would cause shouting from roof tops ?

I posted similar before about the global impact of lockdowns and the knock on effects of starvation albeit from a different source. I can only put the lack of care down to 'out of sight, out of mind'

Ambulance down the street for Mrs Smith who has passed away due to Covid at 90? "An absolute outcry, we must do everything we can to stop Covid, no matter the opportunity-cost."

10x as many people (mostly young, with their lives ahead of them) dying in a far flung places from lack of food..."couldn't give a stuff."

Yet it's the same people, who evidently don't care about minimising overall deaths, who are virtue signalling and deriding others for being selfish etc. Hypocrites.

Edited by Taffin

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

https://www.johnsnowmemo.com

6900 other scientists disagree with Gupta, she'e a bit of an outlier and has been pretty quiet recently. 

BTW Following sources like that is much better than using tabloids as your source, I am fully aware not everyone agrees

This is an important point for your credibility in this mate

if say there are 7000 scientists who could realistically sign that petition then she would be an outlier - that of course doesnt make her necessarily wrong

if say 12000 scientists could realistically sign that petition then she’s nothing like like an outlier - doesn’t necessarily make her right

whats the number mate - I expect you know it off the top of your head given your use of the word outlier?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

herd Immunity hasn’t been rubbished. It’s just most people don’t understand what herd immunity is and have taken it to be something it’s not. The first article points that out pretty well 

Herd immunity works,  as we have seen with a number of diseases that been eradicated via vaccine. 

The Oxford vaccine to be used if approved is designed to obtain herd immunity . It will give people immmunity to onward transfer, eventually the viruses burns out as it can’t find any new carriers. I think they estimate about 60% take up vaccine will be required to achieve herd immunity. 

The pursuit of herd immunity via letting the virus go wild won’t work and hasn’t really been promoted by anyone even Sweden. (Your article conceded that) Immunity will occur in those that have had the disease. Increased immunity in the population is obviously beneficial but it’s not what herd immunity is and people have just latched on  to the term. 

thanks mate saved me the bother 👍

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I posted similar before about the global impact of lockdowns and the knock on effects of starvation albeit from a different source. I can only put the lack of care down to 'out of sight, out of mind'

Ambulance down the street for Mrs Smith who has passed away due to Covid at 90? "An absolute outcry, we must do everything we can to stop Covid, no matter the opportunity-cost."

10x as many people (mostly young, with their lives ahead of them) dying in a far flung places from lack of food..."couldn't give a stuff."

Yet it's the same people, who evidently don't care about minimising overall deaths, who are virtue signalling and deriding others for being selfish etc. Hypocrites.

yeah mate they’re so not important but “if doing X saves even just one life then we should all be doing it .......” etc etc

that sort of stuff :(

Nucky Thompson
42 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

We went to Rhodes in the summer, when we booked things looked fine, we would not have booked when we actually went. We isolated even thought we were not required to when we returned.

It was never really fine to go abroad this year and a lot people sacked it.

It was just announced last week that it was people coming home from abroad that brought new strains back with them.

Saying that, I would've went abroad too if I had a holiday booked and risked losing my money

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

That's your opinion Frank however Governor Tarkin, who is a far better poster than you, has consistently rated me a second rate troll, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. 😎

I marked you down as a third rate antagonist if I recall correctly, bud.

You're not clever enough for an effective troll. 👍

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:lol:

Maroon Sailor
10 hours ago, coconut doug said:

You had your choice. You went to the supermarket and you died. You should have gone to the pub. We all know there's no chance of catching anything in them.

You can only catch it in the pub if you have a pint with your substantial meal.

If you just have a substantial meal in the pub then you have no chance of catching it.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If you just have a substantial meal in the pub then you have no chance of catching it.

Same with going to a cafe for a couple of hours.  Perfectly safe as the SG tell us - the virus knows its coffee you are drinking and not alcohol.

Edited by frankblack

Weakened Offender
39 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That was it 😀

The Real Maroonblood
39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This.

27 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I see Singapore are the latest country to approve the Pfizer Vaccine, quite a few now. It is frustrating the Oxford one is not yet approved for use but I suppose it just shows it is not being rushed through.

The hope is we get the other two vaccines we have on order delivered as the Pfizer supply runs out.

27 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Also Sadiq Kahn calling for all secondary schools in London to close this week and switch to online learning, I know schools up hear were preparing for this in case it came in, It does seem unlikely but there has been plenty if U-turns this year already.

Schools and Universities should have been planning for this from day one of the new term.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it 👍

I'm interested more in the prevelance amongst age groups and sectors of transmission. 

As we're seeing up here its a steady flow of new positives every day and the mitigations aren't putting a dent in it. It bothers me from a 'whats the next move?' perspective as the utterly farcical 5 day free for all approaches and the inevitable carnage at the back of it. 

Yeah I couldn’t really find those, maybe still to come if they’ve actually broken it down or are going to release those statistics. 
My big worry is the only thing that really slowed the infection rate was the initial full lockdown. As we’ve seen other places like the Netherlands are back into it, I can see them using at as a last resort for January. If they do I certainly hope they just stop all flights in and out of the country this time. The public might just buy into it if they promise to open up more businesses if it works with vaccinations being ramped up. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Same with going to a cafe for a couple of hours.  Perfectly safe as the SG tell us - the virus knows its coffee you are drinking and not alcohol.

I do have a laugh when I see two feet high Perspex screens with gaps underneath, now Covid you know you’re not allowed under or over this ok. I was hoping for more of the old Haddows style partitions that a missile wouldn’t get through. 
Im off to a pub for lunch today, I’m sure I will be perfectly safe unless someone accidentally pours a pint 😆

CavySlaveJambo
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Saying that, I would've went abroad too if I had a holiday booked and risked losing my money

I would have done the same.  A lot of people would have been in that position. And in some cases people would have saved a long time to be able to afford it. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I would have done the same.  A lot of people would have been in that position. And in some cases people would have saved a long time to be able to afford it. 

I was due to go on a cruise over Xmas. Managed to defer it until next year. There was no danger going this year.

I was prepared to lose my deposit which was substantial. 

55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I do have a laugh when I see two feet high Perspex screens with gaps underneath, now Covid you know you’re not allowed under or over this ok. I was hoping for more of the old Haddows style partitions that a missile wouldn’t get through. 
Im off to a pub for lunch today, I’m sure I will be perfectly safe unless someone accidentally pours a pint 😆

Covid also tells the time.....close by 6pm with no alcohol or 8pm with alcohol if you are lucky enough to be in the right level

Just what happens in that 2 hours and the alcohol drunk/not drunk could be they key to solving this crisis.....surprised no one has thought of this........... still our FM will be all over it no doubt.

CavySlaveJambo
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I was due to go on a cruise over Xmas. Managed to defer it until next year. There was no danger going this year.

I was prepared to lose my deposit which was substantial. 

Most cruises have been cancelled already. 

18 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not buying that red.

All the data said Edinburgh should have been moved down.

The excuse given was that she didn't want people to travel into Edinburgh

Leaked document to the Scotsman stated she was advised to move Edinburgh To tier 2 but choose not to . 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

Most cruises have been cancelled already. 

I agree. 

I could have cancelled and lost my deposit. 

Paying the balance was too much of a gamble to get my deposit back.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Schools now closing in London.

Will please the unions. They’ve been angling for this for months.

Edited by Dusk_Till_Dawn

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Schools now closing in London.

Will please the unions. They’ve been angling for this for months.

They are trying for it here too.

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

She doesnae half bang on, eh.

Not half. The Chief Nanny and top notch hectorer rolled into one. And the voice, ffs, it's like a River City tribute act. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Tested positive for Coronavirus yesterday.

:seething:

All the best and a speedy recovery. Take care.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

Tested positive for Coronavirus yesterday.

:seething:

Get it roond ye. :sweeet:

Seriously but, hope you're feeling alright and haven't chucked it about too much.

So is it a couple of weeks off for your pupils?

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Get it roond ye. :sweeet:

Seriously but, hope you're feeling alright and haven't chucked it about too much.

So is it a couple of weeks off for your pupils?

Yup.

Happy staff and pissed off parents.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

Yup.

Happy staff and pissed off parents.

Well at least you have an excuse to duck out of the Cristmas shopping and can make use of the next couple of weeks to brush up on excessive masturbation. 

42 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Leaked document to the Scotsman stated she was advised to move Edinburgh To tier 2 but choose not to . 

There is a sinister 1930s Germany element to everything this party and govt does. Hiding info, editing reports, challenging FOI requests, not minuting meetings,  indoctrination of children etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Haddows in craigmillar had exactly those partitions many years ago ! Closed now 

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:glorious:

She will be Gallus enough to have a Xmas day “ briefing “ or speech I wouldn’t be surprised 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JamesM48 said:

She will be Gallus enough to have a Xmas day “ briefing “ or speech I wouldn’t be surprised 

If so I'll give it a miss just as I do with the Queen's drivel.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’ve never seen a Queens speech yet ! Actually I have I recall channel 4 had Quentin crisp do it one year and that was far more entertaining 😀😀

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The Tower for you, you treasonous *******. :seething:

52 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Well at least you have an excuse to duck out of the Cristmas shopping and can make use of the next couple of weeks to brush up on excessive masturbation. 

Cant believe I'm saying this but.....can't be bothered playing with myself.

This virus is horrid huh?

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve never seen a Queens speech yet ! Actually I have I recall channel 4 had Quentin crisp do it one year and that was far more entertaining 😀😀

Same here. 

My Dad told it was a lot of crap so that was good enough for me.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic