Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sounds like a plan 👍🏽

Hopefully it will be one of those days . Seriously peed off seeing those two in Scotland today and they’re patronising “moral boosting”  trip . If they had cans near me they would have been told to bolt ! And it isn’t my definition. Of any form of “ work “ they do . The only work they do is probably “ acting” pretending they are Interested when they meet the plebs 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re explanation was fine, it’s just you don’t quite grasp that not issuing tax on your income is the very essence of a tax break. 
But I’m sure we’ve bored everyone enough. 
So it’s the tax payers that pay for security, from £20-£100m a year. Not fat hands then, one thing right eh 😆

I'll leave you with this.

Overall, in 2018, the British royals contributed £595m via tourism, merchandise and the arts, while costing £165m.

In the past five years, in fact, they have contributed £2.8 billion to the UK economy.

The main money earner, however, is the Crown Estate.

One of the country’s biggest landowners, with property valued at £12bn, it paid £329m into the Treasury last year alone.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/they-cost-us-a-mint-but-bring-in-much-more/

Edited by graygo

11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I saw that too and I knew they would try and find some excuse to worm out of moving Edinburgh to a lower tier , talk about. Changing the goal posts . 

The indicators have always included future projections. In their entirety:

a) the number of cases per 100,000 people over the past seven days

b) the percentage of tests that are positive over the past seven days

c) forecasts of the number of cases per 100,000 consisting of the weekly number of cases in two weeks’ time

d) current and projected future use of local hospital beds, compared with capacity

e) current and projected future use of intensive care beds, compared with capacity

Ms Bauld was simply pointing out that Edinburgh meets the current indicators but not necessarily the projected future indicators. It's not moving the goalposts at all.

10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Thanks Jonesy 👍 perfect summary I’m far from losing the plot . Just more enlightened now plus my recent experience with my “ urgent “ referral to the NHS was personal evidence that the NHS is not up to speed with non covid health issues , despite the lies sorry “ information”  from the SG 

You can't expect everything to run normally. 

Most reasonable people realise that.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hopefully it will be one of those days . Seriously peed off seeing those two in Scotland today and they’re patronising “moral boosting”  trip . If they had cans near me they would have been told to bolt ! And it isn’t my definition. Of any form of “ work “ they do . The only work they do is probably “ acting” pretending they are Interested when they meet the plebs 

Spot on. I can remember Charles coming to the Thistle foundation in the 80s and all the houses were given a lick of paint. My mum took me along and was aghast when I booed 😆

Edited by Pasquale for King

4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You can't expect everything to run normally. 

Most reasonable people realise that.

Well if if was you who had the experience I had you might not come out with such a glib statement . Actually not just me but countless others have had treatments / consultations delayed due to covid . 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on. I can remember Charles coming to the Thistle foundation in the 80s and all the houses being given a lick of paint. My mum took me along and was aghast when I booed 😆

Good on you ! 😂😂

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The indicators have always included future projections. In their entirety:

a) the number of cases per 100,000 people over the past seven days

b) the percentage of tests that are positive over the past seven days

c) forecasts of the number of cases per 100,000 consisting of the weekly number of cases in two weeks’ time

d) current and projected future use of local hospital beds, compared with capacity

e) current and projected future use of intensive care beds, compared with capacity

Ms Bauld was simply pointing out that Edinburgh meets the current indicators but not necessarily the projected future indicators. It's not moving the goalposts at all.

Yeah but most commentators believe that Edinburgh should move tier to level 2 . We shall see tomorrow I guess . 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah but most commentators believe that Edinburgh should move tier to level 2 . We shall see tomorrow I guess . 

We shall indeed. Either way, it may prove to be a very eventful day.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Cheers. Just saw this on twitter, sums it up. 

7C99C63D-3BC7-4E27-843D-5D2F3C25B7A4.jpeg

A disgrace really 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

We shall indeed. Either way, it may prove to be a very eventful day.

Yes Red goodnight 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I saw that too and I knew they would try and find some excuse to worm out of moving Edinburgh to a lower tier , talk about. Changing the goal posts . 

Sure that's been the approach from the start.

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, graygo said:

What?  The Duke of Cornwall.

The Duchy of Cornwall is a private estate established by Edward III in 1337 to provide independence to his son and heir, Prince Edward. A charter ruled that each future Duke of Cornwall would be the eldest surviving son of the Monarch and heir to the throne. The current Duke of Cornwall, HRH The Prince of Wales, is the longest serving Duke in history. The revenue from his estate is used to fund the public, private and charitable activities of The Duke and his children.

Nope, it's owned by us. However, they get the millions of income it produces, funding the sovereign grant among other things. 

So fair to say everyone one the sovereign grant costs the taxpayer money, no?

4 hours ago, graygo said:

I'll leave you with this.

Overall, in 2018, the British royals contributed £595m via tourism, merchandise and the arts, while costing £165m.

In the past five years, in fact, they have contributed £2.8 billion to the UK economy.

The main money earner, however, is the Crown Estate.

One of the country’s biggest landowners, with property valued at £12bn, it paid £329m into the Treasury last year alone.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/they-cost-us-a-mint-but-bring-in-much-more/

Tourism- how are they bringing that money in exactly, how is this figure calculated? Wouldn't people still come to Britain without them?

The Crown Estate- an estate that would belong to the nation if they were abolished, so how can we say that's them contributing? Wouldn't the same income be generated without them?

And again, the duchy of Cornwall. Owned by us, milked by Charles.

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re not allowed to go into Wales or Scotland. Graygo put up the link ^^^.

Graygo's link says it's fine for work and also that the part about traveling between UK countries applies to people who live in Scotland, unless I'm missing it, that  doesn't appear to exist on the guidance for people who live in England.

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

Oh well, I suppose a debate about the funding of the royal family here on the Coronavirus thread does make a welcome change from the usual pro/-anti-independence debates. :) :banghead:

Haud ma beer! 

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know you’re a bit older but you can talk to people on the inter web from all different places at the same time on that Zoom thing, amazing eh 😆😂. They could’ve saved the taxpayer all that security cost I was so wrong about you ignored it 4 times this evening 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️

Was this tour to thank Jay workers or to promote those two?   You're right when you say why not just do it online.   

Prince charles never paid tax before the early 80s.  Before that he used to charge a prison a peppercorn rent.  He now charges full rent.   It's not as if they've voluntarily gave up money to pay taxes bit haven't clawed it back in other ways.   That's before you mention that he also owns and rents out the land for a supermarkets distribution centre.   Yep, Charles the environmentalist makes money from lorries driving everywhere.    

They pay tax voluntarily but have got it back in other business deals.   

Do you think they agreed to pay tax for the hood of it pr because people were beginning to question it?

Feck em

6 hours ago, graygo said:

FFS, I give up. I really thought I explained it in a fashion that an idiot could understand. I was wrong.

I believe the tab for their security is picked up by the local authority that they are visiting.

You seem to like the royal family and what they contribute.  Any chance of the queen getting her son to go to the USA to help the victims of serious sexual abuse get justice?

Sorry for going off topic, but these sponges shouldn't exist in their current role.  

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

On Edinburgh, I think we remain tier 3. Don’t think it will be the numbers but other factors. 

Sturgeon throwing a strop at the Royal visit imo.

The Mighty Thor
38 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

First vaccine dished out. 90 years old women whose in hospital received it.

Good use of it. 

Someone significantly beyond UK life expectancy 👍

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Good use of it. 

Someone significantly beyond UK life expectancy 👍

Cold. :(

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Nope, it's owned by us. However, they get the millions of income it produces, funding the sovereign grant among other things. 

So fair to say everyone one the sovereign grant costs the taxpayer money, no?

Nope, it's owned by the Duke of Cornwall. I've provided numerous links that state this and still folk come back saying that "we" own it.

Let's look at the sovereign grant so that we can understand it a bit better. The Royal family hand over 100% of the profits from the Crown Estate and in return they get 15% of this back in the form of the sovereign grant. This is being increased to 25% for 10 years to help pay for the necessary upgrades to Buckingham palace.

I thought this was common knowledge but obviously not.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Tourism- how are they bringing that money in exactly, how is this figure calculated? Wouldn't people still come to Britain without them?

The Crown Estate- an estate that would belong to the nation if they were abolished, so how can we say that's them contributing? Wouldn't the same income be generated without them?

And again, the duchy of Cornwall. Owned by us, milked by Charles.

Hell yes, when eventually they don't exist your first two points will be true, until then it's irrelevant.

You're last point is just plain wrong again.

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

You seem to like the royal family and what they contribute.  Any chance of the queen getting her son to go to the USA to help the victims of serious sexual abuse get justice?

Sorry for going off topic, but these sponges shouldn't exist in their current role.  

I've no time for them whatsoever and would have no problem at all if they were done away with.

It's simply that when I see or hear something that is patently wrong I have an urge to try to right that wrong.

57 minutes ago, graygo said:

Nope, it's owned by the Duke of Cornwall. I've provided numerous links that state this and still folk come back saying that "we" own it.

Theres a big difference between ownership and possession, both legally and practically - if you borrow my jumper you possess it, but I own it. The duke inherits possession, never ownership.

You posted these as proof. 

10 hours ago, graygo said:

67p per taxpayer they cost, they bring in many times that.

The Duchy of Lancaster is a private estate owned by Her Majesty The Queen, as Duke of Lancaster.

https://www.duchyoflancaster.co.uk/about-the-duchy/

The Duchy of Cornwall is a private estate established by Edward III in 1337 to provide independence to his son and heir.

https://duchyofcornwall.org/about-the-duchy//

10 hours ago, graygo said:

What?  The Duke of Cornwall.

The Duchy of Cornwall is a private estate established by Edward III in 1337 to provide independence to his son and heir, Prince Edward. A charter ruled that each future Duke of Cornwall would be the eldest surviving son of the Monarch and heir to the throne. The current Duke of Cornwall, HRH The Prince of Wales, is the longest serving Duke in history. The revenue from his estate is used to fund the public, private and charitable activities of The Duke and his children.

Where does it say he owns the duchy?

55 minutes ago, graygo said:

Hell yes, when eventually they don't exist your first two points will be true, until then it's irrelevant.

Thats exactly my point - as long as they exist they cost the taxpayer millions, it's completely relevant. 

So, onto the millions they contribute through tourism. Where's that figure coming from?

Edited by Smithee

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

2nd vaccination to be given to a guy called William Shakespeare from Warwickshire.  You couldn’t script it!

Thinking of changing my name by deed poll to Winston Churchill see if I can move up the lists 

2nd vaccination to be given to a guy called William Shakespeare from Warwickshire.  You couldn’t script it!

Thats brilliant 😀

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cold. :(

No time for Daily Mail headlines and photo ops. 

Let's get the working, tax paying feckers that'll be picking up the bill for the next 30 years out and about so we can crack on with life. 👍 

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not as bad as an SNP MP who takes a Covid test and takes the train to London and breaks every protocol going to go into Westminster, is it?

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Let's get the working, tax paying feckers that'll be picking up the bill for the next 30 years out and about so we can crack on with life. 👍 

100%.

Giving it to 90 year olds first while the economy crumbles.  

I give up, it's like Carry on Covid.

1 minute ago, Candy said:

Any recommendations for a private covid test?  Thinking of getting one just before Xmas so I know I'm not killing my elderly relatives

I wouldn't bother - the quick ones are hit and miss and if repeated can give different results.

If you need tested you need to get the proper test at at testing centre.

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What a crock of shit. Grieving so much that they had time to go on twitter and winge to anyone who will listen. 

See when this is over, go and visit your daughter, and anyone else you want. 

In the meantime, stfu and grieve in private, if it's true, which is unlikely. 

11 hours ago, JWL said:

Here's hoping Kenny. Everything points to Edinburgh dropping a level but you never know with her. 

Our mole in the council is optimistic :)

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I wouldn't bother - the quick ones are hit and miss and if repeated can give different results.

If you need tested you need to get the proper test at at testing centre.

There's also the problem that he can't guarantee not catching it between testing and visiting granny.

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Crivvens, if I was 90 living I'd want euthanised, not vaccinated.

What a waste of a vaccine. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Yes that’ll be a pub quiz question for ever now “ what did Margaret Keenan” become famous for ? ! 

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What a crock of shit. Grieving so much that they had time to go on twitter and winge to anyone who will listen. 

See when this is over, go and visit your daughter, and anyone else you want. 

In the meantime, stfu and grieve in private, if it's true, which is unlikely. 

Well said, I'm calling bullshit on that twitter post as well.

This country is shite, it couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Expected doses of Oxford vaccine this year - 30 million.

Actual amount of doses to be received - 4 million.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/supply-of-covid-vaccine-doses-held-up-by-manufacturing-delays-1.4430676

Edited by graygo

Malinga the Swinga
20 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Unless they are still experimenting, sort of agree. A precious resource been given to someone who isn't exactly going to be working with family to support. 

Give to the young and working (or at least those who would like to get back to working)  and then us old codgers afterwards. They are the future, we are the past. 

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The economy has been trashed to protect the old and infirm so at least the governments are showing a measure of consistency.

The vast majority of the working, tax paying feckers that'll be picking up the bill for the next 30 years have little requirement for the vaccine. 👍

21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not as bad as an SNP MP who takes a Covid test and takes the train to London and breaks every protocol going to go into Westminster, is it?

You could not make it up.

There's been a bit of chat today in my office that Glasgow may open in tier 2. I can't see it but my wife also mentioned her Area Manager hinted same to her yesterday, advising her to be prepared for big queues and sitting-in customers on 12th.

You're next for The Taming of the Flu Mr Shakespeare.  Left or right arm?  Left please.  As You Like It.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic