Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Why do you always refer back to England? You’re thoughts on how they have handled things are pretty clear so they aren’t the barometer. I mess of course you are happy just to appear to be doing better than them. You are allowed to judge Nicola as a stand-alone  leader and Scotland as its own country. 

It's an easy barometer. You can also look around Europe if you like. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/despite-coronavirus-surge-european-schools-stay-open-11605349800

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its not just down to statutory sick pay - you also have people entering the country on holiday/returning home who must quarantine but my guess is none are.

Maybe if they had kept hospitality open so that people meet up in safe controlled environments then the need for house parties calms down?

22 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Worked well for England right enough.

21 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Why, what happened in England?

21 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

More cases. More deaths. Full lockdown.

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Quote the part where I said that.

There you go.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There you go.

Right, so I didn't say 'Hospitality is the cause of rising cases'. 

I pointed out that keeping pubs open did not lead to a fall in cases and reduced house parties in England. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

What’s that got to do with her ****ing up her tier system ? 

You seemed enraged that schools are still open. 

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Right, so I didn't say 'Hospitality is the cause of rising cases'. 

I pointed out that keeping pubs open did not lead to a fall in cases and reduced house parties in England. 

You directly referred to it, and refused to back up your statement yesterday when challenged multiple times.  Just be honest and admit you don't know.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

You seem to be living up to your user name whenever anyone criticises the SG! :lol:

10 hours ago, husref musemic said:

We have a world beating death rate. 

But 0.0001% better than England so all's good.

That’s because compare to the rest of the world we are lazy fat unhealthy gits.

It should be no surprise that a virus that essentially weeds out the unhealthy has utterly panelled Scotland .

The post Covid inquiry should start with how the government has sat back and watched its population turn into weebles

Just now, mutley said:

😂 you’d think a country has never patrolled its borders before

Just have a think about the logistics of trying to create a physical border on that terrain and then the costs on manpower and then tell me that would be a government spending priority?

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Some rumours going about school closures will be announced in tier 4 areas. 

That would be a very sensible thing, long overdue.

There should also be mass testing in schools in all tiers so the SG can get a true handle on the size of the problem they actually have. 

They won't like the answer they get. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Some rumours going there will be a five day relaxation period over Christmas. The view seems to be multiple households will be allowed to form a bubble for five days. Then back to where you were, with increased restrictions likely after this period, 

Measures will be U.K. wide.

Give us 5 days over Christmas as a treat, what are we kids? 

Personally I don’t give a toss about Christmas Day and rather I got my freedom and life back to more normality 

They keep pushing this save Christmas rubbish for the sake of one or two days  

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You directly referred to it, and refused to back up your statement yesterday when challenged multiple times.  Just be honest and admit you don't know.

You are asking me for stats that back up something I clearly didn't say. 

Where are your stats that show pubs staying open leads to a reduction in house parties?

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Just have a think about the logistics of trying to create a physical border on that terrain and then the costs on manpower and then tell me that would be a government spending priority?

Check points on the main roads. Can’t see many families breaking the law, going cross country to get a weeks holiday in

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Check points on the main roads. Can’t see many families breaking the law, going cross country to get a weeks holiday in

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You are asking me for stats that back up something I clearly didn't say

Where are your stats that show pubs staying open leads to a reduction in house parties?

Deflect all you want but it wasn't just me challenging you.  I've got work to do now, so I'll leave you to spend all day defending the SG shitshow on here.

Just now, frankblack said:

Deflect all you want but it wasn't just me challenging you.  I've got work to do now, so I'll leave you to spend all day defending the SG shitshow on here.

Hardly deflection. Your quoted posts back me up. I didn't say what you claim I did. 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This is the concerning thing, the west of the central belt has had restrictions for donkeys and not all that much has changed. They had household ban before everyone else. They had 2-3 week reset, they had tier 3 restrictions and none of its really worked. Whilst the narrative from the SG has been the same it’s slowing the rate but not reducing, 

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see how shutting hairdressers, gyms, non essential shops is going to make the difference when all the other measures haven’t. 

i have and remain very anti closing the schools. Think it should be amongst the final things that get shut for so many reasons. However, going into the most stringent level of lockdown and the schools being open is strange. A couple of posters have alluded to a potential plan to  pull schools early, it would seem a sensible decision in isolation of what’s best for COVID

I suspect these restrictions won’t do the job and after chrimbo the west central belt in particular and country in general will face tougher restrictions. 

For a large chunk of this country, there will be nothing left to shut down except places of employment and essential services come Friday.

I've been banging on about schools/colleges/uni's to be closed for limited periods to really get on top of the virus. 

All you get on here is 'its no the schools likesy'. Its mesmeric. 

It appears SG are finally running out of road with their nonsensical 'the big house must stay open' policy. 

What have they destroyed in the interim and what will be damaged beyond repair whist they continue with this folly. 

A 3 week shutdown in October over-the holidays would have nipped it in the bud. 

They can still redeem it. 4 week shutdown mid Dec-mid Jan would batter the virus down, without annihilating every other sector of society. 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It should be no surprise that a virus that essentially weeds out the unhealthy has utterly panelled Scotland .

The post Covid inquiry should start with how the government has sat back and watched its population turn into weebles

The Doc's on his game this morning.

:wub:

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

They have also closed down sport and clubs for kids, this could be a place where it is spreading as well.  I think and extended School holiday only works if kids are prevented from meeting outside schools

This is another problem regards school. If they get closed the kids will all just meet up during the day and night anyway, ok the groups won’t be as large but parents wont keep their kids in the house like back in March 

15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

When were Scottish people last healthy as a nation would you say? 

I read recently that the average life expectancy of a male in the east end of Glasgow is in his 50's.

It's not really surprising to see a relatively mild virus kill some of a population that is probably one of the unhealthiest in the civilised world ( obviously the USA is fatty heaven).

Brighton Jambo
55 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

She said from the outset that tier 4 is a last resort and she wanted to give places a chance in tier 3 first to see if they could get the numbers down. 

You are now enraged that mini Hitler Sturgeon hasn't been draconian enough. Some serious flip flopping going on in here from the attitudes shown several weeks ago. 

'We should open everything up! She's power mad and just wants to kill everyone's fun!' 

to

'This is a shambles! We should have been in tier 4 weeks ago!'

I am pleased that you agree that she has got this wrong in terms of messaging. It’s evident that she cannot say they will say err on the side of caution while at the same time saying let’s give Tier 3 a try.  The two statements are totally contradictory.  

You can deflect as much as you want but opinions are fully entitled to change based on an increased understanding of the data and the decision making rationale provided every day by the SG.   It’s now abundantly clear that this has been handled badly with the wrong decisions being made and the communication, as you point out, being contradictory and misleading. 

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Good point. We should absolutely use our historical unhealthiness as a template for the future.

42 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Do I ? What gives you that opinion or are you just deflecting again ? I’m happy for the schools to be open if the numbers are correct. They clearly shouldn’t be open if the numbers put you in the top tier. 

John Gentleman
21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd reckon around the end of WWII. It's been downhill all the way since...

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Good point. We should absolutely use our historical unhealthiness as a template for the future.

Have all these over 60s who are dying just got fat over the SNPs watch? 

Or did it start decades ago? 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

In an attempt to get this back onto the Virus and off party politics - does anyone know or has anyone themselves been told to isolate through the SG/NHS App on their smart phones yet?

Yeh, the Mrs cousin recieved notification that she had been in contact 12 days previously with someone who had since tested positive and she was to isolate. Her husband had been with her the entire day in qustion and didn't recieve any notification.

Governor Tarkin

Have all these over 60s who are dying just got fat over the SNPs watch? 

Or did it start decades ago? 

Good point. The over 60's all got unhealthy before devolution and on Westminsters watch so the SG should definitely not try to improve on what has gone before.

51 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

There wAs a “ human interest “ story on stv news last night ! They do them every other night regarding covid . It was About a supposedly “ healthy “ granny who died of it at 61 . Gran kids etc on it Talking about her then camera pans to a pic of her . Yes grossly overweight 

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Good point. The over 60's all got unhealthy before devolution and on Westminsters watch so the SG should definitely not try to improve on what has gone before.

Clearly they are trying. (e.g anti binge-drinking/min unit pricing, smoking ban in public places)

There's also this: https://www.snp.org/policies/pb-what-is-the-snp-scottish-government-doing-to-tackle-obesity/

Edited by Ray Gin

husref musemic
58 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

A very good point. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, theshed said:

Give us 5 days over Christmas as a treat, what are we kids? 

Personally I don’t give a toss about Christmas Day and rather I got my freedom and life back to more normality 

They keep pushing this save Christmas rubbish for the sake of one or two days  

I agree about this Xmas shite we are getting.

I don’t give a toss about it and COVID-19 won’t give a toss about it as well.

I have mates in Leith who are telling me The Spey is doing a roaring trade selling pints all day every day. The local constabulary are apparently turning a blind eye. I don't think it will be long before other pubs follow suit.

2 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

I have mates in Leith who are telling me The Spey is doing a roaring trade selling pints all day every day. The local constabulary are apparently turning a blind eye. I don't think it will be long before other pubs follow suit.

In the pub?

husref musemic
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

So what should we be doing instead to improve the death rate, other than just making up random percentages like yourself? 

Actions based on evidence. 

Acceptance that it you want to keep the schools & uni's open there's an unavoidable down side. Everything else is window dressing.

The First minister doing her job instead of a daily TV show for political gain.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

SG just trying to save face really by offering this amnesty as they know most people will break the rules fir Xmas day . Like I said before open up at that period and new year then lockdown in January as it’s a pish depressing month anyway 

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

10's of thousands of individuals haven't heeded the warnings relating to this killer pandemic, I don't think they would listen to government health advice when they're unable to pull on their 501's.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I know everyone celebrates Christmas differently but for me it’s about eating, drinking and watching tv then probably the same Boxing Day 

At the moment that sounds something like what I do on a Saturday at the moment anyway 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

In the pub?

They're drinking outside, but pub is open to let them use the toilet and order drinks. My mate passed the pub twice yesterday to and from work 12 to 8 and was busy each time. 

husref musemic
11 hours ago, frankblack said:

How about breaking down the track and trace data by sector? Then explain why they left regions such as Glasgow on tier 3 for weeks when their data was 3 times the infection rates of other tier 3 cities.

nail on the head.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, theshed said:

I know everyone celebrates Christmas differently but for me it’s about eating, drinking and watching tv then probably the same Boxing Day 

At the moment that sounds something like what I do on a Saturday at the moment anyway 

Exactly.

Kids will also still get their presents.

Governor Tarkin
24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Clearly they are trying. (e.g anti binge-drinking/min unit pricing, smoking ban in public places)

There's also this: https://www.snp.org/policies/pb-what-is-the-snp-scottish-government-doing-to-tackle-obesity/

You forgot the sugar tax. I know, bud. I was expecting this as your first reply. 👍

27 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Please do not let this argument gain life here, the Doc was talking pish

The was a hearty dollop of truth in the Doc's post too, Brian, and it's delivery was spot on.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

SG just trying to save face really by offering this amnesty as they know most people will break the rules fir Xmas day . Like I said before open up at that period and new year then lockdown in January as it’s a pish depressing month anyway 

This.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

The point is it didn't end so furlough has nothing to do with the rise in infections and mismanagement of the virus by the SG.

The SG chose to allow Universities to operate without scrutiny of their accomodation or testing of the students, and schools seem to be riddled notably in the west coast.

No wonder Scotland has been mugged off for decades with people like you allowed to vote. 

The Mighty Thor
36 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Scaremongering headline. 

Which part?

Looks like reportage of what's happening out there in the real world as a result of SG policy. 

Probably being repeated right across the country.

Denial of the bleeding obvious solves nothing. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic