Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

19 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

They're drinking outside, but pub is open to let them use the toilet and order drinks. My mate passed the pub twice yesterday to and from work 12 to 8 and was busy each time. 

Not sure if they have a beer garden but there is nothing illegal about selling take away pints. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

That’s because compare to the rest of the world we are lazy fat unhealthy gits.

It should be no surprise that a virus that essentially weeds out the unhealthy has utterly panelled Scotland .

The post Covid inquiry should start with how the government has sat back and watched its population turn into weebles

What happened to an individual taking responsibility for their own health?

You lefties are so predictable, whatever the problem the answer is always more government and higher taxes.

:whistling:

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

There is nothing in the article that suggests that the school is somehow starting a mass local outbreak or affecting the numbers in Fife, it is describing the difficulty in running a school under the circumstances it finds itself in. In schools you would expect to see a small number of cases cause a large number of isolations, if in this school there was 16 cases but only 50 or so isolations that would suggest the virus is being transmitted in the school.

Why I made the flippant scaremongering comment was they use the 400 isolating headline, which is very misleading and makes the situation appear much worse than it is, I am sure for the Headmaster it is a very big problem though.

I'm sure it's a bigger problem for the parents and the local community when the virus is running unchecked in a sector which 'must remain open at all costs'

Heartsmad1874
3 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

Just more bollocks making it up as they go along, Covid-19 is having a Christmas 🤶 holiday now 

It's had a busy year give it a break. Deserves Christmas off.

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

In an attempt to get this back onto the Virus and off party politics - does anyone know or has anyone themselves been told to isolate through the SG/NHS App on their smart phones yet?

I was tested a month ago , got the result back next day, my wife got nothing on her phone but the dishy wee secretary at work got told to self isolate.

This was the NHS app and my result was negative :lol: 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So should the SG strategy.

Instead they are dogmatically adhering to a strategy which hasn't put a dent in the figures in 6 weeks. 

It undoubtedly has though.  What do you think the figures would look like without some of the restrictions put in place?  

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:
2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

That’s because compare to the rest of the world we are lazy fat unhealthy gits.

It should be no surprise that a virus that essentially weeds out the unhealthy has utterly panelled Scotland .

The post Covid inquiry should start with how the government has sat back and watched its population turn into weebles

Expand  

What happened to an individual taking responsibility for their own health?

You lefties are so predictable, whatever the problem the answer is always more government and higher taxes.

:whistling:

:rofl:

Good one. 

I'd place the Doc slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

It undoubtedly has though.  What do you think the figures would look like without some of the restrictions put in place?  

The question is have they put the correct restrictions into place by following the data or chosen to pick and choose what they like?

manaliveits105
8 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I was tested a month ago , got the result back next day, my wife got nothing on her phone but the dishy wee secretary at work got told to self isolate.

This was the NHS app and my result was negative :lol: 

We need more dishy wee secretaries 

Some good news if anyone is concerned that these vaccines may be being rushed through, when some vaccines take as much 10 years to be available.

Edited by DETTY29

Heartsmad1874

In an attempt to get this back onto the Virus and off party politics - does anyone know or has anyone themselves been told to isolate through the SG/NHS App on their smart phones yet?

Don't have the app :thumbsup:

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Nice information there and he answered some of the sensible questions as well. Worth a read for those that are concerned, if you’re into the conspiracy theories probably don’t bother reading. 

Laurence Fox fxxxxd then.

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The question is have they put the correct restrictions into place by following the data or chosen to pick and choose what they like?

Viewed from the wrong perspective.  It's not a matter of choosing which things they like,  it's a matter of choosing which things are more practical,  ones that can be controlled better compared to others and leaving some as a last resort.  

There are two main areas of particular sensitivity.  Household gatherings.  Practically impossible to control,  police,  enforce.  Governments are completely impotent to be able to tackle this area,  even with draconian punishments.  Schools.  They're doing all they can to avoid schools closing.  There's the more obvious motive to avoid students suffering real disadvantages from a disruption to their schooling.  There's also the social and economic consequences involved with school children having to remain at home.  

Have the right restrictions always been used?  No.  But governments have very,  very little wiggle room regarding what they can put in place.

Mark Drakeford got it spot on recently when he pointed out that a real difference can be made if people observed the intended spirit of the measures instead of continually finding ways to do the maximum within and beyond the rules.

59 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not sure if they have a beer garden but there is nothing illegal about selling take away pints. 

Its good that they are allowing them to use the loos .. other pubs close them at 5pm but continue selling

A recipe for disaster 😋

Dennis Reynolds

I've heard about a few pubs that are open for soft drinks but you're also able to buy takeaway pints. Stand outside, have your pints and use the facilities. Not breaking any rules but certainly bending them a bit. Had a pint from the black fox on rose street before going for dinner at Chophraya a couple weeks ago.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Why would they pick and choose what they like ? :4_1_72:

38 minutes ago, the general said:

Its good that they are allowing them to use the loos .. other pubs close them at 5pm but continue selling

A recipe for disaster 😋

I might along. Missing a good pint of lager even in a plastic cup. 

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I might along. Missing a good pint of lager even in a plastic cup. 

Wouldn't fancy it today, mind.  Its lashing down outside.

So just seen a post from our local MP on fb, he has raised Edinburgh being in Level  3 rarther than 2 with her and the justification is below 

"The metropolitan nature of the City adds increased risk to rapid viral surge and switching Edinburgh's hospitality on might act as a magnet to people living in higher areas"

All very well and good but just adds further credence to the fact Edinburgh is not coming out of level 3 any time soon.

Edited by steve123

1 minute ago, steve123 said:

So just seen a post from our local MP on fb, he has raised Edinburgh being in Level  3 rarther than 2 with her and the justification is below 

"The metropolitan nature of the City adds increased risk to rapid viral surge and switching Edinburgh's hospitality on might act as a magnet to people living in higher areas"

All very well and good but just adds further credence to the fact Edinburgh is not coming out of level 3 any time soon.

Exactly - can't have the pubs open here when Glasgow is in near lockdown. :facepalm:

Proves the point the government are making subjective decisons rather than following the data.

Edited by frankblack

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Wouldn't fancy it today, mind.  Its lashing down outside.

Yeah not today right enough 😂

48 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Mark Drakeford got it spot on recently when he pointed out that a real difference can be made if people observed the intended spirit of the measures instead of continually finding ways to do the maximum within and beyond the rules.

Personally, I think that Drakeford is a pretty poor leader, but I think that he was spot-on with this.

In terms of the overall public health messaging,  people should know by now what they should and should not do. (Wash your hands,  distancing,  face covering, don't lick door handle, don't lookfor the loopholes).

The rules that are being brought in can only have limited effect unless these basic public health measures are done on an individual level.

I think that Drakeford made that statement when most of Wales (by population) had progressively been brought in to local lockdown (county-by-county), and people were questioning the effectiveness of it all.

9 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Whilst probably factually correct it just seems like they are trying to find any excuse to keep Edinburgh at the current level when it should be based on infective rates etc . Bollovks 

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Nonsense but I like the implied distinction between the metropolis and the provinces!

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Business in Edinburgh punished because the great unwashed from the West threaten to make way 

No incentive to follow rules as basically, doesn't matter what we in Edinburgh do, as long as the Weeg carry on as they are, then we stay in tier 3. 

Business in Edinburgh punished, not because of Covid, but because everything in NS's world revolves round Glasgow and her people. 

3 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I am pleased that you agree that she has got this wrong in terms of messaging. It’s evident that she cannot say they will say err on the side of caution while at the same time saying let’s give Tier 3 a try.  The two statements are totally contradictory.  

You can deflect as much as you want but opinions are fully entitled to change based on an increased understanding of the data and the decision making rationale provided every day by the SG.   It’s now abundantly clear that this has been handled badly with the wrong decisions being made and the communication, as you point out, being contradictory and misleading. 

Haud oan!

Opinions are fully entitled to change based on an increased understanding of the data but it's contradictory when the SG do the very same thing?

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Viewed from the wrong perspective.  It's not a matter of choosing which things they like,  it's a matter of choosing which things are more practical,  ones that can be controlled better compared to others and leaving some as a last resort.  

There are two main areas of particular sensitivity.  Household gatherings.  Practically impossible to control,  police,  enforce.  Governments are completely impotent to be able to tackle this area,  even with draconian punishments.  Schools.  They're doing all they can to avoid schools closing.  There's the more obvious motive to avoid students suffering real disadvantages from a disruption to their schooling.  There's also the social and economic consequences involved with school children having to remain at home.  

Have the right restrictions always been used?  No.  But governments have very,  very little wiggle room regarding what they can put in place.

What happens when you follow the rules but are penalised because others in a city an hour along the road don't? 

What is carrot/incentive to carry on doing right thing when it makes no real difference? 

SG chose to allow Greater Glasgow to remain in tier 3 by giving them leniency, and now finally after being forced at gunpoint to move them to tier 4, refuse to show leniency to Edinburgh and its businesses. 

NS and government operate a one way system where we are supposed to trust them, but they show no trust in us. 

Heartsmad1874

Pfizer to apply for emergency authorisation 'within days'. Vaccine now found to be 95% effective but very importantly, 94% effective for Over 65's.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

BBC News - Covid mass testing rolled out to Merthyr Tydfil
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54986552

Pray for me. Donations to a GoFundMe page will also be much appreciated. 

In all honesty, quite looking forward to it. Long overdue & definitely the way to go UK-wide, imo.

Will you let’s us know if it is more uncomfortable than having Barack Obama’s finger up your nostrils? 😉

It's been clear for a while that Edinburgh will be in tier 3 for quite some time.  Yesterday she reiterated the key criteria of downwards changes to tiers.  Sustainability.  Add in the rationale about large urban / metropolitan areas requiring distinct considerations and it adds up to Edinburgh being in tier 3 into next year.  Could be quite a bit past the turn of the year.  

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Pfizer to apply for emergency authorisation 'within days'. Vaccine now found to be 95% effective but very importantly, 94% effective for Over 65's.

Some good news there. Will be interesting to see how we handle roll out. Can't say I have lot of faith in any of our governments to get it right, but they are only option we have. 

Dennis Reynolds
35 minutes ago, frankblack said:

On positive news, the Pfizer vaccine proved to be 95% effective after final results:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-95-effective-in-final-results-company-to-seek-approval-within-days-11605699996

They'll get the approval very quickly. Roll out should start in a couple weeks. Really exciting news.

Dennis Reynolds
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Some good news there. Will be interesting to see how we handle roll out. Can't say I have lot of faith in any of our governments to get it right, but they are only option we have. 

Agree. Surely they'll be able to get something right... 

Latest NRS figures show 5,135 Scots have died from Covid-19

A total of 5,135 people have died in Scotland with confirmed or suspected coronavirus, according to the National Records of Scotland (NRS).

The figures show 278 deaths relating to Covid-19 were registered between November 9 and 15, up 71 from the previous week

Of these, 198 were in hospital, 72 in care homes and eight at home or in a non-institutional setting.

There were 105 deaths in Greater Glasgow and Clyde, 63 in Lanarkshire and 31 in Lothian.

The statistics are published weekly and account for all deaths registered in Scotland where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate.

They differ from the lab-confirmed coronavirus deaths announced daily by the Scottish Government because the NRS figures include suspected or probable cases of Covid-19.

17 minutes ago, LMc said:

They'll get the approval very quickly. Roll out should start in a couple weeks. Really exciting news.

I wouldn't necessarily be at the front of the queue anyway but i would certainly want them to test this out on the people who they deem most vulnerable before me or my kids were due it.

If the way the situation has been managed so far is anything to go by I would expect this to be a major feck up as well.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/01/health/eua-coronavirus-vaccine-history/index.html

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/cautionary-tales-from-u-s-history-on-rushing-vaccines#sections

Nicola Sturgeon says the figures she has reported today - 54 deaths and 1,264 new cases - are “obviously really grim and distressing”.

41 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I can’t imagine people from the West coming through here for a drink are they that desperate. 

Surely it cant be hard to open hospitality and inform everyone they have to show an Edinburgh postcode to get in.... can’t be that hard to work?

The Mighty Thor

This is going to be shot down by plenty on here, but some information on schools and infections from everyone's favourite Education Minister

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54984730

I think that's great news that the SG actually do have a suite of data which drills down to the level where the DFM can make the statement he did. 

It would be brilliant if they shared that data with the public (surprisingly its not on SG website)  so we can see for ourselves the scale of the issues by transmission vector. 

Of course the devil is in the detail. 0.1% is alleged positive cases from the total school population. How many tests were carried out? Etc etc.

Still like I say, positive they have this data.

I'd be interested to see what the number of positive cases from a sector such as hospitality would be as a percentage of customer visits, just as a comparison.

1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Nicola Sturgeon says the figures she has reported today - 54 deaths and 1,264 new cases - are “obviously really grim and distressing”.

It's grim and distressing through here and not looking like it will get any better anytime soon. Just back from Livingston centre and it's heaving, how they get away with that cafe area at the Post office I don't know. Absolutely zero social distancing in there at all and people complaining left right and centre about having to go in one door and out the other.

Dennis Reynolds
5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I wouldn't necessarily be at the front of the queue anyway but i would certainly want them to test this out on the people who they deem most vulnerable before me or my kids were due it.

If the way the situation has been managed so far is anything to go by I would expect this to be a major feck up as well.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/01/health/eua-coronavirus-vaccine-history/index.html

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/cautionary-tales-from-u-s-history-on-rushing-vaccines#sections

It's not been tested on children so your kids won't get it. Unless of course they're over 18. Efficacy in over 65's at 94% which is really the target.

I completely understand people being wary of this but things have moved on significantly since 1955 and 1976 in the links above. 

This is good news. 

9 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I read it that those comments referred more to the fact that the deaths figure has now passed 5,000.

Edited by redjambo

7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Is it not?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, LMc said:

I've heard about a few pubs that are open for soft drinks but you're also able to buy takeaway pints. Stand outside, have your pints and use the facilities. Not breaking any rules but certainly bending them a bit. Had a pint from the black fox on rose street before going for dinner at Chophraya a couple weeks ago.

You’re allowed to sell takeaway, they shouldn’t be standing outside or using the toilets though

. I hear the Diggers have Amstel/Heineken/Mcewans 80/-&70/-/Innis&Gunn/Strongbow and two cask ales on offer for £2:50 a pint, 4-6pm Tue-Thur, 2-6pm Fri-Sat & 3-5pm Sunday. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, steve123 said:

This was said weeks ago mate, can’t see us getting out of level 3 this year at all. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

You’re allowed to sell takeaway, they shouldn’t be standing outside or using the toilets though

. I hear the Diggers have Amstel/Heineken/Mcewans 80/-&70/-/Innis&Gunn/Strongbow and two cask ales on offer for £2:50 a pint, 4-6pm Tue-Thur, 2-6pm Fri-Sat & 3-5pm Sunday. 

There are boozers bending the rules big time that's for sure. Next few weeks are going to be testing times.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic