Wighton

Last Laff

18 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Just like the idiot who paid money for him, Wighton will hang around Tynecastle like a bad smell, picking up his fat salary!

This is not Craig Wighton's fault.

He is entitled to try and proove to DS that he worth a go.

If nobody wants him, again, it's our problem, not his.

I have no problem with the lad, more the twat that signed him.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Thomaso

• JamboAl

• redjambo

1 hour ago, thewiseone said:

At under 16, under 18 Craig Wighton was head and shoulders above anyone else in Scotland ,vilifying him sitting from  desk chairs is an easy thing to do, people with his talent don't lose this talent in my opinion. Going by his Hearts performances I understand why people would actually come to these conclusions however taking into consideration he was under the wing of the last regime it's hardly surprising he is where he is.

Scotland football clubs have a inherently poor record of developing players.

At some point the penny has to drop that it actually isn't the players but the people who are entrusted with their development where the problem lies.

There is the little matter of his serious injury too and being asked  to be our strikeforce for virtally all his game time with Steven MacLean. As  I say a loan ticks all the boxes. If he is in any doubt what it means to have played for a club like Hearts only to end up with your career on a downward spiral thereafter he should read the piece by Ryan Stevenson. 

53 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

There is the little matter of his serious injury too and being asked  to be our strikeforce for virtally all his game time with Steven MacLean. As  I say a loan ticks all the boxes. If he is in any doubt what it means to have played for a club like Hearts only to end up with your career on a downward spiral thereafter he should read the piece by Ryan Stevenson. 

Yes of course actually had slipped my mind about his injury. There's always a loss of confidence prior to injury, the process always plays a part in injury, it's the part that others find hard to re establish in recovery.

With Wighton I suspect confidence will be the main factor, playing for a manager who is a master of destroying confidence I think Wighton has done quite well. 

If he was managed with the sole aspect of increasing his confidence at the forefront I think we'd all see a very different player.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Totally agree

1 hour ago, thewiseone said:

Yes of course actually had slipped my mind about his injury. There's always a loss of confidence prior to injury, the process always plays a part in injury, it's the part that others find hard to re establish in recovery.

With Wighton I suspect confidence will be the main factor, playing for a manager who is a master of destroying confidence I think Wighton has done quite well. 

If he was managed with the sole aspect of increasing his confidence at the forefront I think we'd all see a very different player.

I agree with your points thewiseone.

Wighton suffered both a ruptured cruciate ligament and a meniscus tear in a pre-season game at Dundee in July 2017. He only played in the last 7 games of the 2017/2018 season, coming on as a substitute in the first 2 games and starting the last 5 games.

He then went to the Toulon Tournament in France with the Scotland U21s (for the 2nd year in a row) in June 2018, after which he joined Hearts.

In July last year he was injured after a tackle at the start of the Angus Beith Testimonal  v ICT and required an operation on his other knee.

Since his recovery he has only played in the Cup semi v Rangers , a 4 minutes sub appearance v Motherwell and 90 minutes v Celtic. He can hardly be held culpable for Hearts position at the bottom of the league this season. 

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Totally agree

Your quote said 

Like the idiot who signed him, he would hang about like a bad smell, picking up a fat salary.

Doesn't sound like you totally agree.

1 hour ago, SevenTay said:

I agree with your points thewiseone.

Wighton suffered both a ruptured cruciate ligament and a meniscus tear in a pre-season game at Dundee in July 2017. He only played in the last 7 games of the 2017/2018 season, coming on as a substitute in the first 2 games and starting the last 5 games.

He then went to the Toulon Tournament in France with the Scotland U21s (for the 2nd year in a row) in June 2018, after which he joined Hearts.

In July last year he was injured after a tackle at the start of the Angus Beith Testimonal  v ICT and required an operation on his other knee.

Since his recovery he has only played in the Cup semi v Rangers , a 4 minutes sub appearance v Motherwell and 90 minutes v Celtic. He can hardly be held culpable for Hearts position at the bottom of the league this season. 

Thank you for your extensive  coverage of his injury history, very detailed.

Knee injury has a very clear link to confidence which physios and medics fail to acknowledge. I'm glad you put your head up above the parapet on here.

Its an easy place to destroy others without any redress however those who can or have delved a little deeper realise there is a human behind the footballer.

What annoys me even more than everything else hearts related annoys me is.. We lost our top scorer (lafferty) and we needed to replace him the best way would could, but what did we go and do.... we signed craig ****ing wighton (who some people said would be a great signing) i didnae.

We actually paid money for him and it makes me want to greet. 

Most of us knew that wee needed goals and there was boy called Shankland banging them in, but no.. Some nutter of a scout suggested that we sign Vanecek, did anyone actually go to watch him play? 

I'm just absolutely scunnered with all everyone at Hearts and everyone still supporting our scouts and Austin Macphee. 

Would have thought that 2 bob and a caramac would have covered it, but I guess we are holding our for big money for one of our key assets?

🤦‍♂️ 

In The Courier that Hearts have agreed a loan deal with Arbroath for Wighton.

Makes you wonder how much they can pay considering McPake said Hearts had priced Wighton out of his reach!

Blackie the Cat

Looks like BBC confirming it too..

Hearts' Craig Wighton close to Arbroath loan switch

Out-of-favour Hearts forward Craig Wighton is poised to join Arbroath on loan days after Scottish Championship rivals Dundee said they were priced out of a deal.

SomethingAboutObua

Don’t see how Arbroath can afford him but Dundee can’t. Article says Arbroath board are keen to back the manager fully for league survival but we still must be going to pay most of his wages? 

Anyway, glad to be rid of him in any way if true, he seems to offer less than nothing on the pitch 90% of the time  

3 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Don’t see how Arbroath can afford him but Dundee can’t. Article says Arbroath board are keen to back the manager fully for league survival but we still must be going to pay most of his wages? 

Anyway, glad to be rid of him in any way if true, he seems to offer less than nothing on the pitch 90% of the time  

Dundee don't want to pay anything for him. 

Feck Dundee.

They saw Levein coming, striped the eejit for the transfer fee and now want him to return to them whilst we continue to stump up the lion's share of his wages, apparently.

I'd rather Hearts paid 100% of his wages and loaned him to Arbroath which is about his level (apologies to Arbroath).

Actually, I'd rather we deducted the entire cost of this folly, deducted it from Levein's salary and he'd owe us.

8 minutes ago, kila said:

Shame he won’t be able to play against us in the cup if we meet Arbroath instead of Falkirk.

Has that been inserted in the contract?its not always the case as i remember Kingsley Coman playing and scoring for Bayern against Juve while on loan from them,pretty sure Lualua did it for Pompey against the Toon aswell

14 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Has that been inserted in the contract?its not always the case as i remember Kingsley Coman playing and scoring for Bayern against Juve while on loan from them,pretty sure Lualua did it for Pompey against the Toon aswell

As did Patrick Roberts for Celtic vs man city 

Edited by copa-mundial

Shows that Levein really did waste so much money on absolute keek when your trying to offload players and Arbroath is where they end up 🙄

I just want him off our books entirely. I imagine Abroath will not make much of a dent to what we pay him. Another Levein masterclass.

41 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Is it just the league they can’t play against their parent club?

5 minutes ago, kila said:

Is it just the league they can’t play against their parent club?

Depends on what the parent club insist on inserting in the loan contract I'd assume. And what the loaning club agree to have inserted in it. If Hearts don't want him to play against us in the cup they can ensure it doesn't happen...and lets be honest, if we allow him to play it is 1 million percent guaranteed he will end up looking like the Arbroath Messi and put us out!

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

Good news can see Dundee fans turning on McPake and his board asking how Arbroath can afford to take him but they can't . 

Think they dodged a bullet TBH

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I just want him off our books entirely. I imagine Abroath will not make much of a dent to what we pay him. Another Levein masterclass.

yep

On 13/01/2020 at 17:35, Tommy Brown said:

Spot on. Let's hope he kicks on at Arboraoth, away from the spotlight, scores a pile of goals and comes back to us for next year a revitalised player.

Can only assume we fancy our chances v Falkirk in the Cup. This guy going on loan to Arbroath has basically knocked them out.

Arbroath being in for him tells you everything you need to know about his ability. 150k wasted on him is a disgrace. We won't recoup anything and all we can do is to try and shift him off the wage bill asap so it frees wages up for someone else. Its another body out the door though and if Arbroath are picking something up then its better than him still being at Hearts.

2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Arbroath being in for him tells you everything you need to know about his ability. 150k wasted on him is a disgrace. We won't recoup anything and all we can do is to try and shift him off the wage bill asap so it frees wages up for someone else. Its another body out the door though and if Arbroath are picking something up then its better than him still being at Hearts.

We got a fee from Jack Hamilton going the other way and I'm sure they pretty much cancelled each other out...

2 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Arbroath will be paying about 10% of his wages so it's pretty pointless. 

Get him free transferred to someone.

That’s likely to cost us more money in the long term. 

Say What Again
9 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Agree it's pointless if that's the case.

In fact, if that's accurate (which is a reasonable guess), I'd just keep him. If we get down to the bare bones, he's an option, and on the flip side, if we don't need him, 6 months training with and playing for the reserves might see him desperate to move for first team football in the summer. Taking a wage cut in the process.

Edited by Say What Again

10 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Get him free transferred to someone.

Its far from pointless tbh.

He might go on to show that he is a worthwhile player at Championship level and when his Arbroath spell is up another club may be willing to take him off our hands and pay 50% of his salary.

We’ve wasted enough cash on this guy....there is no point in giving away anymore than we have to.

He won’t be seen in a Hearts jersey again so we can all rest easy now.

7 minutes ago, Say What Again said:

Agree it's pointless if that's the case.

In fact, if that's accurate (which is a reasonable guess), I'd just keep him. If we get down to the bare bones, he's an option, and on the flip side, if we don't need him, 6 months training with and playing for the reserves might see him desperate to move for first team football in the summer. Taking a wage cut in the process.

I agree, if Wighton has no future at Hearts then get rid.  A loan spell does nothing for Hearts, UNLESS there is still a future for him. 

He must b so far down the pecking order that daylight will be a rarity.

9 hours ago, martoon said:

Feck Dundee.

They saw Levein coming, striped the eejit for the transfer fee and now want him to return to them whilst we continue to stump up the lion's share of his wages, apparently.

I'd rather Hearts paid 100% of his wages and loaned him to Arbroath which is about his level (apologies to Arbroath).

Actually, I'd rather we deducted the entire cost of this folly, deducted it from Levein's salary and he'd owe us.

Arbroath could finish above Dundee this season - maybe not if they play Wighton, right enough.

1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

I agree, if Wighton has no future at Hearts then get rid.  A loan spell does nothing for Hearts, UNLESS there is still a future for him. 

He must b so far down the pecking order that daylight will be a rarity.

A loan move potentially saves us money for the remainder of his contract.

Even if it is only £500 a week......that £500 a week could be the difference in agreeing terms with another player come the summer.

2 hours ago, Simo said:

Can we insert a clause where he has to play against us if Arbroath get through? 👀🙄

:biggrin:

We need to get rid of him one way or another, if it means going on loan and having to pay most of his wages, it's still better than him being stuck here and us paying the full amount.

At least if he goes to Arbroath, he should play every week, cant imagine him getting a game every week for many other Championship teams, apart from Alloa.

I know we all like a boo boy but just because he hasn’t made it at hearts doesn’t mean a loan spell will boost his confidence.those saying Arbroath are above his level is poor chat the player is obviously talented but injuries and confidence have impacted him....it’s not to say he will ever play for Hearts again but cut him some slack have we not learned anything fromSean Clare

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, martoon said:

Feck Dundee.

Agreed, but they were only getting revenge for actually paying us money for Jack Hamilton.

Hans von Luck

Can we not just have a whip round and pay Wighton to frankly GTF, imposter of a footballer and taking up wasted time not only at the club but on this forum also.