The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

The ability of the goalkeeper to play outside of the box with his feet and distribute the ball quickly and accurately with both feet and hands, is absolutely key to the successful execution of a high press. JP is very good at doing this even if his keeping is not of the same standard.

We would be compromising our style of play if we were to sign a goalkeeper who doesn't have these qualities.

This , i think if CG was in goal our defensive line would need to drop back, which would impact further up the field.  

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

Takeshi kovac
50 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

I'm not dismissing what you have said, as the Liverpool setup on paper would be regarded as a 433. That said, you just have to look at how high up the pitch both full backs get and check who is covering when there is a turnover and you soon realise they play a fluid system to such an extent that all players need to be comfortable in both attack and defence.

How many times has Andy Robertson been the farthest player forward during a possession turnover. It happens all of the time and on quite a number of occasions Mane is the one covering him. In general its more likely to be Winaldum or MIlner, but Mane certainly finds himself in these situations at certain times in the game.

The press does start up top, but have you noticed the shape is constant across the pitch no matter which player is pushed farthest forward. Gegenpressing is a joy to watch when executed with discipline and fast, fit players. You are spot on with the need for workaholics in midfield, and that's what we are now implementing. What is does allow for is as you have alluded to, is slightly less sublime skill in the middle of the park. Close down, release ball, goal. 😀 Helps if we have a decent passer and I think that's what Irving brings, real composure and a lovely weight of pass for one so young👍 .

Your right it is fluid system and your point about Andy Robertson is spot on, him and Alexander Arnold are very often the furthest forward which is exactly what I was saying most of their attacking play is from the fullback position the difference for us is I think the 2 wide players in a 4231 with be tasked with getting the ball in the box after winning it in a high press

Edited by Takeshi kovac

42 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

I know the English window shuts at 11 dunno if ours is affected by that though.

The January 2020 transfer window for Premier League clubs opened on Wednesday 1 January and will close at 23:00 GMT on Friday 31 January 2020. Clubs completing deals late on Deadline Day, 31 January, will be able to submit a Deal Sheet between 21:00-23:00 GMT.

Whoosh 🤗

2 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

Stick with JP until the end of the season. Sign a new keeper in the summer. 

I would go along with this scenario.

If Hearts had been challenging for Europe then I would bring in a better keeper now.  As it is, JP is good enough in the current squad to get Hearts off the basement.  So wait until the summer to replace.

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

I get your point but JP is statistically the third worst keeper in the league at saving shots. With a better shot stopper we probably wouldn’t be bottom at the moment.

8CE433E4-170F-44E1-8E12-01D82270F8EA.jpeg

He has a much lower minutes per save average though than most of the others. How much of a role is he contributing to that by retaining possession and sweeping up behind the defence? 

He may be conceding less as he's helping us face less shots despite not saving as many shots he does face as others might. 

It's far too simplistic a measure to use. Fair enough if he was facing loads of shots and conceding them...but that graph doesn't show that.

Equally, he could be playing no part in helping reduce his shots faced and you are correct. Personally I think he's contributing to it.

Edited by Taffin

27 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

This , i think if CG was in goal our defensive line would need to drop back, which would impact further up the field.  

First thing I thought of.

Gordon is one of the top 2 keepers I have ever seen at Tynecastle, but all that is down to his shot stopping.

He's never really been known for coming off his line and commanding his area, nor for his distribution.

Was that not one of the reasons Bain jumped the queue in front of him at darkheid ?

14 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Nobody else on the cards apart from Gordon ? 

That Thiam was mentioned ealrier in the week. Nothing since but out of favour at Barnsley and the Sibbick deal shows we're all pals again.

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That Thiam was mentioned ealrier in the week. Nothing since but out of favour at Barnsley and the Sibbick deal shows we're all pals again.

Thought some names would have been kicking about as the week went on

Just now, Jambos4life said:

Thought some names would have been kicking about as the week went on

Aye I'm the same. Bound to be a rumour or two (at least) over the next day.

Jambof3tornado
49 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Correct.

W

Sweeper keepers only need apply.

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

Some people are just not a good judge of player I suppose 

Oh my days, I can’t believe you have said that.

You still want to bring a player back that hasn’t played in 2 years

I don’t dispute Gordon is a good goalkeeper but I don’t want him brought back. I don’t believe that we are getting rid of guys like Berra and Whelan who slowed play down to bring in a player who is going to take us down the same path again.

Hes barely played a game in the last 18 months and those which he has played in have been mainly losses. I’d question how match sharp he is.

I’m also not massive on sentiment and I don’t think we should be seen as a place where ex players can retire to.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Stats can be a load of bull. If you include all club keepers stats (blocks, intercepting crosses and distribution) over the last 12 months, Colin Doyle is the best in the league and Hladcky is the worst.

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

I get your point but JP is statistically the third worst keeper in the league at saving shots. With a better shot stopper we probably wouldn’t be bottom at the moment.

8CE433E4-170F-44E1-8E12-01D82270F8EA.jpeg

It is interesting.

I think we need a better keeper, however that stat doesn't show what "busy means"

A goalie saving 5 routine shots would look good on this, even using Sunday as an example Rangers only had two shots on goal, the scores 1, but it was a very good chance they scored from.

It is a decent indicator tho, thanks for posting.

It does show that the defence is doing better than maybe most thought  as the goalie isn't busy.

Gordon is not the only GK out there, but he is an upgrade on JP and the others.

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Dad as radge as son shocker

Some of the stuff they were shouting was horrible. Would probably have done the same if it was my son too. 

Portable Badger
10 minutes ago, The Crack Fox said:

Berra is in Inverness talking with Robbo.

I'm looking out my window and I can't see them !

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Name?

Nothing. Sorry.

I’m gathering there’s nothing in it as I’m sure it would have been picked up on by now.

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It is interesting.

I think we need a better keeper, however that stat doesn't show what "busy means"

A goalie saving 5 routine shots would look good on this, even using Sunday as an example Rangers only had two shots on goal, the scores 1, but it was a very good chance they scored from.

It is a decent indicator tho, thanks for posting.

It does show that the defence is doing better than maybe most thought  as the goalie isn't busy.

Gordon is not the only GK out there, but he is an upgrade on JP and the others.

That's why I'm wary of using stats all the time. Sometimes its better to use eyes and judgement relevant to the situation. 

I'm unsure about Gordon. However, he played plenty for a Rogers team that played out from the back - but you also see then mess he made coming out his box, when he almost decapitated the Alloa and Ross County players. Fair enough, only two incidents, but it's still cause for concern for a position where he'l be required to spend a bit of time at the edge or outside his area.

I just don't think the 'keeper position is an area we really need to strengthen, I think Joel is decent.

13 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Oh my days, I can’t believe you have said that.

You still want to bring a player back that hasn’t played in 2 years

I don’t dispute Gordon is a good goalkeeper but I don’t want him brought back. I don’t believe that we are getting rid of guys like Berra and Whelan who slowed play down to bring in a player who is going to take us down the same path again.

Hes barely played a game in the last 18 months and those which he has played in have been mainly losses. I’d question how match sharp he is.

I’m also not massive on sentiment and I don’t think we should be seen as a place where ex players can retire to.

Can't believe you've posted that, mj. 😀😉

Right up there with footy, sarnie and other such awful words and phrases. 

Edited by martoon

After The Watershed
14 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

😂 Try a trip to Simpsons Garden Centre then. 

48 minutes ago, the general said:

To be honest the dad was radger

Also a goalkeeper - whaddaya expect? 😎 

Big Alex is a good lad! 

24 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Leyland is going to have a wee moment later when he suddenly realises what those posts meant.

Just having a blond moment. I'll stick to driving trucks i know a lot more about that.

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Funny story relating to that game. 

I was at that match with McGregors dad in the dunfermline end (well main stand) and the Dunfermline fans were slating McGregor and his dad lost the plot and was wanting square goes with a few of them :lol:

it was pretty funny.

Alex has always been a bit hot headed

2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Exactly, why would you be a FOH subscriber if you weren't a Jambo. 

He has been a contributor from the very start. 

He is not going to bleat about Hearts if is employed by another Scottish club. 

Tbh I don't think he is the man for the job though. 

That ship has sailed. 

Agree with this 👍

The days of the Heart of Midlothian pension fund is over. 

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

All the talk of Gordon then Hearts to nip in on the quiet and get the striker we want instead that will do nicely.

Yea just watched Stendel's press conference and he does not think he needs a new goalkeeper, says he has had loads of names put to him but goalkeeper is far down his list.

Someone also asked him about Marcel Langer not heard him mentioned before.

Edited by steve123

Italian Lambretta
29 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Don't worry Dazajambo will be along in a jiffy to give the low down on that.

33 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Some of the stuff they were shouting was horrible. Would probably have done the same if it was my son too. 

Yes I'm sure we all would . Just being , slightly , facetious

56 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Where’s Daza, Notts and Bongo when we need them for some speculation/itk? 

As of a couple of weeks ago Gordon wasn't happening. Something has obviously changed it seems. Can't see it happening unless Celtic sign another back up keeper. Or it could be that the BBC info is out of date.

Interesting that a certain poster knows how Gordon is playing right now given his almost complete lack of game time.

Edited by Notts1874

Ainsley Harriott

If Gordon comes back in proves Levein still has an input. Theres no way Gordon would be on Stendels radar. It also shows we've learnt nothing from our recent mistakes.

I think its been mentioned but Mark Donaldson said on the SATF podcast that it was a non-starter for January and may well happen in the summer.

12 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

If Gordon comes back in proves Levein still has an input. Theres no way Gordon would be on Stendels radar. It also shows we've learnt nothing from our recent mistakes.

Yeah it definitely proves that, away and eat crayons!

12 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I mentioned it above but this is correct, Stendel has said this morning he is happy with current goalkeepers.

13 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

It's meant to be MacPhee scouting the type of player Stendel is looking for rather than Levein.

That's not to say Levein isn't providing input to MacPhee although I'm sure MacPhee is aware of Craig Gordon and how he played notably under Rodgers.

I'm sure there was a comment on here that Stendel has been told that bringing Gorodon in won't impact current or future budget which I don't really undertand unless one of the benefactors is keen in giving Gordon a chance and funding. 

Now that woud be a worrying way to go down but it was also reported on here the benefactors are helping with Boyce and potentially Tonge and no-one is complaining.  Naturally Stendel knows both well.

Can't have it all ways.

Edited by DETTY29

57 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

That's why I'm wary of using stats all the time. Sometimes its better to use eyes and judgement relevant to the situation. 

I'm unsure about Gordon. However, he played plenty for a Rogers team that played out from the back - but you also see then mess he made coming out his box, when he almost decapitated the Alloa and Ross County players. Fair enough, only two incidents, but it's still cause for concern for a position where he'l be required to spend a bit of time at the edge or outside his area.

I just don't think the 'keeper position is an area we really need to strengthen, I think Joel is decent.

I'm sure it was an error of judgement but as with MacGregor, Gordon will know what more you get away with up here playing for those two horrible clubs.

I know we don't see him playing as much for other clubs but ever recall MacGregor being a complete dick for Dunfermline, Hull, Cardiff and Scotland.  Onfield of course?

Edited by DETTY29

It might be a Peebles moment but I notice on sky sports that Steve Banks has left D Utd for Crystal Palace, I’m guessing he’s a coach now and not still playing ?

3 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Marcel Langer a midfielder from Schalke, linked as per the EEN.

Only ever played for Schalke and Hanover b sides.No idea what standard they are but seems strange at 23 years of age.

People do understand managers will still be recommended players by others, aye?

Stendel will also have an extensive knowledge of players himself as well as having his own scouting network.  

There’s not one manager around who’ll solely scout every player he signs. 

22 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Don’t think so. Stendel says in today’s presser that Gordon is a very good keeper and is ‘coy’ about whether we can sign him. If he didn’t rate him he would just have said so.