The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

Another point I have seen here recently is people being upset CL is still involved. It’s clear he is responsible for clearing out the deadwood that he created which is the ultimate embarrassment 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

Henrysmithstaxi
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Check in to see if we’ve signed anyone.

Have we ****.

Obviously.

This is now my life 

Phil D. Corners
13 minutes ago, Mcalford said:

Surely a slightly different scenario with us though?  New manager, wants his own players in, bottom of the league, we have three games between now and then, two important league games and one cup game, if we don't sign anyone until the last 48 hours of the transfer window then we could well be 10 points adrift, this would make it even harder to get folk in.  I fully expect something to happen before then (Not ITK btw) and I hope it starts this week.

With the performance against Aberdeen, Stendel having a few weeks with boys, and key players back from injury, I think we have enough to get to end of the month. 

I would love some new faces in ASAP. But I don’t think we need to panic buy this week. 

22 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Was very poor in his second loan spell at the club but he’d be a good left winger for us. We played him at left back for the majority of his games but he couldn’t defend. Would take back if he was going to play left wing. 

my thoughts exactly but after hearing about hes been injured long term again it really would be a risk but you never know when he is on it hes brilliant

1 hour ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Said it before..... January transfers happen in the first week or the last 48 hours. 

I don’t expect anything to happen this week. People just need to keep cool and be patient. 

Assuming that we give you up to Friday 10th January as the first week, there were 7 signings by Scottosh Premier teams in that week. There have been 4 signings in the first three days of this week. I'm sure there will be an increase in activity towards the end of the month but not sure your first week of activity then nothing for several weeks theory really holds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

25 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I read, I think on here, that Budge had told Levein in no uncertain terms to fix the mess that he had created. 

No idea if true, but it would be embarrassing right enough. 

Of course, the man appears to have no shame.

I think he has been told to fix his shit out on more than one occasion and still he is here.

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

With the performance against Aberdeen, Stendel having a few weeks with boys, and key players back from injury, I think we have enough to get to end of the month. 

I would love some new faces in ASAP. But I don’t think we need to panic buy this week. 

I agree. 

Players coming back and staying fit are key. 

Washingston, Naismith, Souttar and even walker would be like new signings. 

RustyRightPeg

Im maybe being a bit too sensible here but hear me out. Perhaps, there are signings on the way (maybe imminently, maybe not) but because the hierarchy of the club are being followed constantly by TV cameras for the docu-series, Budge, and whoever else are involved are conducting their business a bit more discretely than in previous years. 

4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Im maybe being a bit too sensible here but hear me out. Perhaps, there are signings on the way (maybe imminently, maybe not) but because the hierarchy of the club are being followed constantly by TV cameras for the docu-series, Budge, and whoever else are involved are conducting their business a bit more discretely than in previous years. 

Don't get this at all. Everyone involved knows how serious the situation is, 5 points adrift. Buying especially in January is a complex business. Vast majority of players are under contract so we have to negotiate with club and player. Look at Boyce, he is under no obligation to sign early, his agent will be working on getting the best deal, so his position will chop and change. We would all do the same, why sign early for Hearts if Sunderland will come in and pay higher wages? We have to be patient and let the club conduct their business.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Possible they have had to be more careful round confidentiality.

However it is stone bonking obvious, January is a difficult window anyway.

Sitting bottom of the league, needing to get people off the wage bill, we neither have a healthy league position and positive near future, or cash to offer anyone. Coupled to the turmoil around the club and the continuing changing of the guard, we will quite correctly be seen as unstable

Anyone with a half decent agent or sense, will body swerve us until the options for them are limited, or somehow we dredge cash up.

We I believe can only operate in this window, in a very short term lookahead. It cant be easy. Heads out of the sand for plenty, but then there are those who are going to try and commence another rebellion

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Don't get this at all. Everyone involved knows how serious the situation is, 5 points adrift. Buying especially in January is a complex business. Vast majority of players are under contract so we have to negotiate with club and player. Look at Boyce, he is under no obligation to sign early, his agent will be working on getting the best deal, so his position will chop and change. We would all do the same, why sign early for Hearts if Sunderland will come in and pay higher wages? We have to be patient and let the club conduct their business.

The point I’m trying to make is if a BBC camera is in your face and you’re trying to keep the transfer business quiet it would be difficult. All it takes is one call from the BBC cameraman to a journo and the news is out for all to see. 

13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree. 

Players coming back and staying fit are key. 

Washingston, Naismith, Souttar and even walker would be like new signings. 

And if they don’t come back or stay fit we’re in real danger of relegation. We need a striker worthy of the name at the very least IMO

11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yeah, or maybe the people who usually leak info have been made to sign a NDA with the TV company, or something along those lines.

48 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I read, I think on here, that Budge had told Levein in no uncertain terms to fix the mess that he had created. 

or no money?

The point I’m trying to make is if a BBC camera is in your face and you’re trying to keep the transfer business quiet it would be difficult. All it takes is one call from the BBC cameraman to a journo and the news is out for all to see. 

You would just break away to an office before talking about confidence issues, away from film crew. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, davieholt said:

or no money?

I’m sure she said there would be funds available in the transfer market.

Mind you the amount could be anything.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

And if they don’t come back or stay fit we’re in real danger of relegation. We need a striker worthy of the name at the very least IMO

Yeah, we need a couple in but I'd bet no striker coning in is the pedigree of Naismith or Washington for that matter. 

We need another option tho, Uche and Maclean aren't enough giving the injuries. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m sure she said there would be funds available in the transfer market.

Mind you the amount could be anything.

No I mean CL has no money which is possibly the reason he is hanging around until the last minute.

54 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I disagree, we were better against Aberdeen but still not clinical enough.  We cannot rely on guys who have had long term injuries to hit the ground running.  I don't think its panic buying, last 48 hours of the window would be panic buying imo, he's been here just over a month now so will know exactly what he wants and who he wants and will have been working on that from the start pretty much.  Definitely not panic buying.

We do need some new faces in ASAP but with the three young boys back and Irving back in the fold im hoping we don't need an overhaul as some folk seem to think, winger and a striker and a CB to replace Berra.  Ideally a midfield player but I would be confident the young lads between them can cope between now and the end of the season.

RustyRightPeg
21 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Yeah, or maybe the people who usually leak info have been made to sign a NDA with the TV company, or something along those lines.

14 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

You would just break away to an office before talking about confidence issues, away from film crew. 

Both valid responses, but I’m just making the point that during the Man City and Sunderland documentaries the crews were present when negotiations were going on and even when they went wrong in Sunderland’s case.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Stendel said yesterday that we'd get players in. Hopefully the board make it happen ASAP. 

Yeah, but there's more to it than that. 

We might be willing but players are not. 

2 sides to a transfer, folk seem to forget that on here a lot and just think it's all about us. 

7 minutes ago, davieholt said:

No I mean CL has no money which is possibly the reason he is hanging around until the last minute.

Or, he actually gives a shit about the club? 

If he has this big ego, it must be difficult for him hanging around in a diminished position. 

Alternatively, he believes he's putting the club first and feels some responsibility for the mess we're in. 

Not sure about money, did he not get a hefty sum when relieved of his duties with the national team? Seem to remember £700k.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

2 sides to a transfer, folk seem to forget that on here a lot and just think it's all about us. 

That's the problem with being 12th. They need to buy into the scenario that we won't finish there. 

A couple wins and good performances might help our situation for recruiting players, whether we can get that without new additions is questionable. 

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hopefully DS has had discussions with the players themselves too though. I doubt he’d say to the press we’re almost over the line with some if he wasn’t confident 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Mcalford said:

I disagree, we were better against Aberdeen but still not clinical enough.  We cannot rely on guys who have had long term injuries to hit the ground running.  I don't think its panic buying, last 48 hours of the window would be panic buying imo, he's been here just over a month now so will know exactly what he wants and who he wants and will have been working on that from the start pretty much.  Definitely not panic buying.

We do need some new faces in ASAP but with the three young boys back and Irving back in the fold im hoping we don't need an overhaul as some folk seem to think, winger and a striker and a CB to replace Berra.  Ideally a midfield player but I would be confident the young lads between them can cope between now and the end of the season.

Unfortunately the negligence in the close season is coming back to haunt us.

With Harings injury known to be troublesome, we took way too long filling that hole, an enormous one, he and Djoum left. The sealants, Whelan and Damour (to date) have not worked out.

Meanwhile he sent the creative midfielder (admittedly not a fan myself) Lee, and didn't find anyone to take his place.

Instead we filled our team with number 10 type, Naismith, Walker and Meshino, 2 who are fragile and 1 who has done well but still coming to terms.

Washington I think is a good signing, but he is not an out and out goalscorer.

3 of the spine were not looked at properly, holder, creator, finisher. To ask these guys to come back from some muddling loans is huge. Its on the returning players from injury to turn it, god knows we need them to be fit 3 of the months remaining.

Don't get me started on goalkeepers :lol:

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Hopefully DS has had discussions with the players themselves too though. I doubt he’d say to the press we’re almost over the line with some if he wasn’t confident 

You'd hope. 

Agents tho..... Waiting for a better deal to come in. 

Hopefully we swoop today, a double swoop would be gravy. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's the problem with being 12th. They need to buy into the scenario that we won't finish there. 

Yip, also likely cost us more. 

We can fire in relegation clauses and such tho. 

Even a relegation save bonus... 

Turn every negative into a positive! 

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

You'd hope. 

Agents tho..... Waiting for a better deal to come in. 

Hopefully we swoop today, a double swoop would be gravy. 

Yup a signing today would be lovely. 

is close or play today the deadline for registering for Saturday?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

If celtic 1300 on Saturday, don't know about the rest of us mere mortals. 

2 main steps

1. International clearance for cross border deals. Includes checking if there are any suspensions.

2. Then SFA registration which includes step 1. 

As above clubs thought Friday 5pm was the SFA deadline. But Celtic registered Scott Sinclair on the Saturday then SFA completed it on the Sunday morning before he played v Hearts the same day. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Jocam2325 said:

Behave yourself. I am sure they are trying. We have signed so much rubbish in recent years people should have learned that just making any old signing is not often the answer. 

I would rather we used what we have aided by those returning if the alternative is a couple of panic January signings to appease half wits on a forum. 

The half-wits are inside the club I’m afraid mate.

Anyone heard about Zach Clough?.... Sunderland, Hubz and us are interested according to ‘wearescottishfootball’ 🤷‍♂️

2A6984EC-6FCF-41E5-BFF1-35487E7DAAEB.png

Edited by Rogue Daddy

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Anyone heard about Zach Clough?.... Sunderland, Hubz and is are interested according to ‘wearescottishfootball’ 🤷‍♂️

That my champ man move last year. 

He was ok 

14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Unfortunately the negligence in the close season is coming back to haunt us.

With Harings injury known to be troublesome, we took way too long filling that hole, an enormous one, he and Djoum left. The sealants, Whelan and Damour (to date) have not worked out.

Meanwhile he sent the creative midfielder (admittedly not a fan myself) Lee, and didn't find anyone to take his place.

Instead we filled our team with number 10 type, Naismith, Walker and Meshino, 2 who are fragile and 1 who has done well but still coming to terms.

Washington I think is a good signing, but he is not an out and out goalscorer.

3 of the spine were not looked at properly, holder, creator, finisher. To ask these guys to come back from some muddling loans is huge. Its on the returning players from injury to turn it, god knows we need them to be fit 3 of the months remaining.

Don't get me started on goalkeepers :lol:

Hard to disagree with any of that, I personally did not rate Djoum, but our failings in the transfer market have meant he has been missed.

Pereira is good with the ball at his feet and I think Stendel will like that side of him, but bizarrely for a professional goalie he fails to do the basics like save shots and claim crosses, most goalies at a high level are average but they can all make world class saves on occasions, the amount of goals he has conceded that have been close to his hand, and what I would suggest, within reach is a lot.  Aye he makes the odd decent save but not as many as he should.

You're point about the number 10 type player is spot on.  Damour's problem is he still thinks he can get time on the ball, maybe when he realises he cant he might at least be a decent option (Needs to be on his 4 year deal), Whelan thought he could stroll it up here and its his attitude that failed him

anyway im going off topic here.  Lets hope for some positive news for once with some new signings.

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Anyone heard about Zach Clough?.... Sunderland, Hubz and us are interested according to ‘wearescottishfootball’ 🤷‍♂️

Aye he’s a diminutive number 10 type player. Busy wee guy would suit the pressing style. 

he was bought for a fair few quid from Bolton a few years back IIRC. 

also guess who else are allegedly looking at him, that’s right you guessed it, Sunderland. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

Re Hickey - I hope the club have not shot its load as it seems to  have done in recent years and confirmed a price for Hickey at the first sniff of interest.

Hickey is exactly the sort of player that could start at an offer of £1.5m from someone but end up at least £1m more if there was a proper bidding process.

I’ve felt in the last 5 years we’ve been a bit naive - for example before CPat got injured we basically confirmed £1m would get him when both West Ham and Cardiff were sniffing around.

Really poor negotiating tactics - unless a contract has a fixed sell on price of course. But as a kid Hickey won’t have that IMO.

Edited by Jammy T

1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

Re Hickey - I hope the club have not doubled its load as it seems to  have done in recent years and confirmed a price for Hickey at the first sniff of interest.

Hickey is exactly the sort of player that could start at an offer of £1.5m from someone but end up at least £1m more if there was a proper bidding process.

I’ve felt in the last 5 years we’ve been a bit naive - for example before CPat got injured we basically confirmed £1m would get him when both West Ham and Cardiff were sniffing around.

Really poor negotiating tactics

Agree totally ...as long as we don't cave in and 'settle' for a shite fee to Shellick only for him to warm the bench for 3 years! That does my nut in!

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Re Hickey - I hope the club have not shot its load as it seems to  have done in recent years and confirmed a price for Hickey at the first sniff of interest.

Really poor negotiating tactics - unless a contract has a fixed sell on price of course. But as a kid Hickey won’t have that IMO.

exactly the type of thing a competent DoF would have expertise in 

30 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, also likely cost us more. 

We can fire in relegation clauses and such tho. 

Even a relegation save bonus... 

Turn every negative into a positive! 

I think most of them will be looking for a release clause tbh. I think we need to speculate to accumulate though.  

2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

exactly the type of thing a competent DoF would have expertise in 

As people know I supported Levein - longer than I should - but there were a few things that he did that even I thought were bizarre.

Going to the press and confirming £1m would get Paterson when 2 English clubs were sniffing around is one.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think most of them will be looking for a release clause tbh. I think we need to speculate to accumulate though.  

A relegation clause protects both parties - not against them given the current status.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Yip and tbh a release clause would suit both parties. 

Stick in a big sc final bonus, stick in a safe from relegation bonus, bobs your uncle. 

What's the hold up? 😂

Dusk_Till_Dawn
12 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Any deal for Hickey will have a sell-on clause, unless the regime at Hearts really are are stupid as they seem. Hockey’s a good talent but his value at this stage will be limited. Everything will be incentivised (or should be)

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Oblivious to criticism is Levein. 

...a bit disco
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think I've worked out where SKY's getting all its tips on potential player's to Sunderland. ****ing hell.  :lol:

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/12/19/21028939/i-would-do-it-for-nothing-new-sunderland-director-on-working-for-the-club-stewart-donald

It's like Jonathan Sutherland becoming DoF at Ross County. 

3 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

It's like Jonathan Sutherland becoming DoF at Ross County. 

Or Jim Traynor at Rangers

Or Jock Brown at Celtic