Budge update on Sporting Director role

Juanjo

I love threads like these as it really cheers me up reading the frothers rage. We identified our number one target for manager, jumped through loads of hoops to get him, the manager that the vast majority of fans wanted, and everyone's happy yes???? Not in the world of kickback. A woman, yes a woman, is in charge of our club, the shame of it all.  Meanwhile, people in the real world can look forward to Saturday to welcome our new manager

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Thomaso

• Adam_the_legend

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I have.  He’s been involved in the recruitment of the only players in our squad who look up to it. 

Next.

no denying that. Getting decent players in has been his strength. 

28 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

He's more angry like the the majority that Levein is still getting power at our club he should have been out on his arse she seems to be using hearts to give jobs to everyone around her from her boyfriend down to her brother it makes her look weak and powerless to make the right decisions, I'd like to see what happens when the contacts run down wouldn't surprise me if they are kept on which would be taking the piss out of every support who pays their hard earned into the club

That’s you making an assumption though. Any “power” Levein has will not be over first team affairs. It will be youth and smaller roles. As I stated before the last time Levein worked in a background capacity he wasn’t too bad. I for one distinctly remember the feeling when we got relegated and genuinely thinking it will take at least two seasons if not three or four to get out of a championship with Rangers and Hibs in it. But Levein oversaw the overhaul that lead to us storming the league and then finishing 3rd. If you think that was down to Neilson and Crawford I’d point to their records elsewhere.

I would prefer Levein had a clean break, but I’m not going to break any sweat over him having input to youth setup etc. There’s just no need.

5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I love threads like these as it really cheers me up reading the frothers rage. We identified our number one target for manager, jumped through loads of hoops to get him, the manager that the vast majority of fans wanted, and everyone's happy yes???? Not in the world of kickback. A woman, yes a woman, is in charge of our club, the shame of it all.  Meanwhile, people in the real world can look forward to Saturday to welcome our new manager

Well done. You managed to completely ignore legitimate concerns about the failed managers and coaches ALL remaining at the club and basically accuse anybody not towing the company line as sexist or misogynistic.

Thank god you are here for a bit of balance. 

frothers though? Hilarious, as opposed to people who can’t think for themselves and just accepts every decision the club makes as being 100% correct.  Leaves more time to think of funny names for people who disagree with you.

Edited by GinRummy

35 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

Yeah, but what exactly does he do with the academy  that Roger Arnott can't do ? 

I have no clue mate, you're asking the wrong person.

However, if I was to have a guess, Arnott concentrates on day to day running of the academy and Levein will be working on longer term strategy.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Finlay James said:

I have no clue mate, you're asking the wrong person.

However, if I was to have a guess, Arnott concentrates on day to day running of the academy and Levein will be working on longer term strategy.

Sounds great.

:o

So the whole thing has now been written off before it's started because the bogeyman is still hiding under the bed?

Some of you people are broken.

Tokyo Drifter
10 hours ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Sensible decision. It’s all about stability just now and too many changes would be too risky.

Hmmm ... if there is a re-building operation in January then I'm not sure I trust McPhee and Levein to be bringing in players. Plus they're going to have to ship out some of the players they signed and waxed lyrical about (Clare, Damour etc.)

Adam_the_legend
59 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I am just happy that the club is being run in a way that saves us throwing cash about in a silly way. We ha e just appointed a new manager who I would reckon will have cost  us a bomb. I have no problem with Levein continuing to see to the academy and deal with other peripheral matters behind the scenes until his contract  is concluded. Putting him on garden leave would have meant continuing to pay him for doing nothing while having to pay someone to do his job. For the Levein Haters, there is no doubt that he will be gone in the summer.

I have a lot of doubt. Only way CL leaves hearts is if AB leaves, that should be obvious to everyone by now. 

On the face of it Levein is doing the same job when he was removed as manager. MacPhee is doing the same job with the exception of coaching the first team. I’ve no real issue with that but where the whole thing starts to get a bit more confusing is the input Levein and MacPhee have in the SD role. Surely Ann’s not saying they will actually pick their replacement? Talk about Turkeys voting for Christmas!!

MacPhee hinted in a couple of interviews post match that players weren’t trying or up to it so he might not be a bad pick to get rid of these guys in January, he’ll know who the non tirers are in that squad!

What I’m more concerned with, however, is the continued first team involvement of Jon Daly and to an extent Liam Fox. Fair enough right now Stendel is on his own and may need some assistance but why Jon Daly, he’s been a constant in the failure of the team, get him out the door, Kirk and Fox can help for now and get Stendel his men asap! 

Lets just be honest here for as long as Ann Budge remains in charge Craig Levein has a job at Hearts!

2 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Hmmm ... if there is a re-building operation in January then I'm not sure I trust McPhee and Levein to be bringing in players. Plus they're going to have to ship out some of the players they signed and waxed lyrical about (Clare, Damour etc.)

Don't you think that Stendel will say "I want this player, this player, this player"?  Rather than CL/AM saying you can have this player, this player, this player?

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

That’s you making an assumption though. Any “power” Levein has will not be over first team affairs. It will be youth and smaller roles. As I stated before the last time Levein worked in a background capacity he wasn’t too bad. I for one distinctly remember the feeling when we got relegated and genuinely thinking it will take at least two seasons if not three or four to get out of a championship with Rangers and Hibs in it. But Levein oversaw the overhaul that lead to us storming the league and then finishing 3rd. If you think that was down to Neilson and Crawford I’d point to their records elsewhere.

I would prefer Levein had a clean break, but I’m not going to break any sweat over him having input to youth setup etc. There’s just no need.

Sensible post 👍.  

I’ll start to moan when Stendel starts to moan and/or the results seem impacted by it.  Until then, I’m going to enjoy watching our number 1 target get a reaction out of the squad.

Just now, Boris said:

Don't you think that Stendel will say "I want this player, this player, this player"?  Rather than CL/AM saying you can have this player, this player, this player?

People just see what they want to see.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

So the whole thing has now been written off before it's started because the bogeyman is still hiding under the bed?

Some of you people are broken.

Hearts will be broken if they let this gruesome twosome have snything to do with the future of Hearts. It also undermines Stendel.

I can't believe he will have requested these two. They are being retained because Budge hasn' got the guts to get rid of them.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

On the face of it Levein is doing the same job when he was removed as manager. MacPhee is doing the same job with the exception of coaching the first team. I’ve no real issue with that but where the whole thing starts to get a bit more confusing is the input Levein and MacPhee have in the SD role. Surely Ann’s not saying they will actually pick their replacement? Talk about Turkeys voting for Christmas!!

MacPhee hinted in a couple of interviews post match that players weren’t trying or up to it so he might not be a bad pick to get rid of these guys in January, he’ll know who the non tirers are in that squad!

What I’m more concerned with, however, is the continued first team involvement of Jon Daly and to an extent Liam Fox. Fair enough right now Stendel is on his own and may need some assistance but why Jon Daly, he’s been a constant in the failure of the team, get him out the door, Kirk and Fox can help for now and get Stendel his men asap! 

Lets just be honest here for as long as Ann Budge remains in charge Craig Levein has a job at Hearts!

The last sentence probably sums it up.

If he had any dignity he would walk and make it easy for her.

Just now, wavydavy said:

Hearts will be broken if they let this gruesome twosome have snything to do with the future of Hearts. It also undermines Stendel.

I can't believe he will have requested these two. They are being retained because Budge hasn' got the guts to get rid of them.

How does it undermine Stendel?  Do you think this was as much of a surprise to him as it is to you?

And who does the role if you get shot of CL/AM at this precise moment in time?

The Old Tolbooth

Jesus wept, Hearts fans losing their shit all over here, Facebook, and Twitter, we were told that Levein would be here until the summer, we were told that we're looking for a sporting director, there really is no hurry to appoint one and add to the wage bill when there's clear financial constraints on the club right now, we might as well make use of him before he departs and it frees up a wage or 5 in the summer when we empty the rest of them. 

Let's put it this way, would you rather we spent money we didn't have bringing in Stendel's assistants, and paying off Fox, Daly, Levein etc early costing us a lot of money, and having some transfer kitty in January, or paying them all off and watching Stendel struggle with the pish we have because there's no transfer kitty in January? I know which I'd rather have! 

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Hysterical nonsense.    It's continuity and a transitional handover.    

Budge's reliance on Levein is a bit bizarre. I totally understand that she needs support on the footballing side however given the circumstances that can't be Levein.

After getting the buzz back again with the appointment of Stendel she has given the supporters a reason to be negative again. I fear that if we don't get a result against St Johnstone or Hamilton there'll be doom and gloom around Tynecastle again, with fans getting on the players/ clubs back.

This was a great opportunity to start with a clean slate and just cut ties however once again we're being ran more like a business instead of a football club!

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Sensible post 👍.  

I’ll start to moan when Stendel starts to moan and/or the results seem impacted by it.  Until then, I’m going to enjoy watching our number 1 target get a reaction out of the squad.

If Dan does get a reaction out of the squad and has us climbing the table it will only point to the failure of the previous incumbents in that role.

All good of course but will only expose the failings of people still at the club.

Financially, no easy way out of it but first team success won’t stop dissent.

Just now, Boris said:

How does it undermine Stendel?  Do you think this was as much of a surprise to him as it is to you?

And who does the role if you get shot of CL/AM at this precise moment in time?

I’m sure it was all discussed with Dan during the recruitment process.

I fully expected AM to get the role in all honesty. Only him mind !

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

or ignore what’s staring them in the face.

Some people just look for negatives in everything and cannot contextualise or believe in nuance. Every ****ers an expert lol be it body language, people's roles and responsibilities at the club. Its hilarious. :)

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Spot on. 

She has an unhealthy obssession with Levein. 

His job role is clearly not the one she said he would get when she eventually sacked him. 

Its like nice wee promotions for Levein and Macphee. 

I don't think our new manager will enjoy having to be involved with these 2 muppets. 

Hopefully they will be gone when their contracts end. 

She actually wanted a sporting director before a manager came in. 

She seems scared of losing her wee buddies. 

All imo of course 😏

16 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I have a lot of doubt. Only way CL leaves hearts is if AB leaves, that should be obvious to everyone by now. 

It's really looking like this I am afraid.. 🙄

29 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

We’ll have to wait and see - however from what I have been told his contract will not be being renewed. 

Edited by Deevers
Typo

26 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

please explain how it undermines Stendel?

Some fans hatred for CL is much stronger than the love for HMFC. 

Its quite simple really. We are not paying him off so we have funds available for stendel in January. 

he will be doing odd jobs like being a ****ing tour guide in the mean time. 

This week we have had the best news for a long time, yet some of you still are not happy because CL is still at the club. 

Get a life and enjoy the fact that we have a new manager in and shortly will have a new assistant and first team coach. 

Just now, MacPhee said:

Some fans hatred for CL is much stronger than the love for HMFC. 

Its quite simple really. We are not paying him off so we have funds available for stendel in January. 

he will be doing odd jobs like being a ****ing tour guide in the mean time. 

This week we have had the best news for a long time, yet some of you still are not happy because CL is still at the club. 

Get a life and enjoy the fact that we have a new manager in and shortly will have a new assistant and first team coach. 

Nut.    The thrashers have got to bare their arses.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

It’s a bit ridiculous to paint it as an either/or situation.

do you think it’s a good thing that all the previous managers and coaches are still at the club but Stendel has arrived on his own?

can you envisage any problems arising from that?

I didn't paint it in any way.  I asked a question; the poster I asked has subsequently answered.

To answer your question, it isn't my preference.  I would rather see Stendel choose who his coaching team are.  That is the simple answer.  The less simple answer is that I have no insight into what the reasons for the current situation are.  I could guess there might be financial implications, but that's only a guess.  So, while I don't think it's ideal, I also don't think me being enraged about it on a message board will change it in any way.  I'm not quite happly-clappy about it, but I'm certainly not one of the persistent brigade of posters who just aren't happy that a woman runs the company.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Nut.    The thrashers have got to bare their arses.

OK so we pay them all off, and have no funds available in January? 

I don't know whether to :lol: or 😭

Utterly ridiculous that CL is still at the club, no self respect whatsoever, if he loved the club as much as some say on here he would walk, but no he gets to teach the kids how to punt the ball 40 yards for a throw in.Then gets joint SD role with the clueless McPhee who is still getting touted as an expert video analyst :rofl: and recruitment guru :lol: 

Budge has truly lost the plot.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Aye, terrible idea that gets deployed at every major club in the world and most European clubs have been doing the SD/Head Coach setup for decades. Change isn’t always bad, lad.

Lad. Can you be any more cringey?

Here's the thing. We are not a major club but we seem to be happy to create a cottage industry of "football department" jobs. Simplify and move on without it.

1 minute ago, MacPhee said:

OK so we pay them all off, and have no funds available in January? 

I'm not in need of convincing.    Just having a sneer at the thrashers.

joondalupjambo
59 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Great place to work though. Be as shite at your job as possible and then just get a new role created for you. Any jobs going, Annie? 

Sounds like the last public body / Quango I worked for!!  

Just now, CAI said:

Why do we want a bunch of losers at the club until the end of season. Just get rid ffs. 

Maybe, just maybe because it would cost us money to do that.

30 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Some people just look for negatives in everything and cannot contextualise or believe in nuance. Every ****ers an expert lol be it body language, people's roles and responsibilities at the club. Its hilarious. :)

I’m not jumping hoops over the current set up either but, for me, Austin ticks all the boxes as SD. His shit show as interim manager doesn’t change that.

10 minutes ago, Haken said:

I didn't paint it in any way.  I asked a question; the poster I asked has subsequently answered.

To answer your question, it isn't my preference.  I would rather see Stendel choose who his coaching team are.  That is the simple answer.  The less simple answer is that I have no insight into what the reasons for the current situation are.  I could guess there might be financial implications, but that's only a guess.  So, while I don't think it's ideal, I also don't think me being enraged about it on a message board will change it in any way.  I'm not quite happly-clappy about it, but I'm certainly not one of the persistent brigade of posters who just aren't happy that a woman runs the company.

Fair comments. Wholeheartedly agree that the punters whining about a woman running the club are making themselves look like first rate clowns.

5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Maybe, just maybe because it would cost us money to do that.

It's more harmful to have them at the club with a shiny title like Sporting Director. That is the price we pay. 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not jumping hoops over the current set up either but, for me, Austin ticks all the boxes as SD. His shit show as interim manager doesn’t change that.

I’m the same really, let him do that job. Just appoint him now, get shot of Daly and bring in Stendel’s coaches. If they see something in Fox keep him if not he goes as well. Levein can embarrassingly hang about like a bad smell until the end of the season then goodbye!

Do that and we all move on!

Edited by Rudy T

I would suggest there is more to this than meets the eye. Financially getting Stendel in looks a push and if we are going to back him with money in January then wholesale changes are maybe not possible. 

MacPhee and Levein is interesting. Suspect that we are holding onto MacPhee and hoping NI make a move for him freeing up any payment we need to make. On Levein, as angry as I am with the shambles he has created if the new manager is okay with things then fair enough. 

In truth the rest of this season is about embedding Stendel's ideas and any new players while staying up. We won't have a real idea of his team till next season and by then the new SD will be appointed and the coaching staff will have been reshaped. 

Edited by Jodami