Budge update on Sporting Director role

Juanjo

So after all this the following people are still a huge part of our football club

Craig Levein

Austin Mcphee

Jon Daly

Liam Fox

Shitey Gallacher

:levein_interesting:

We now have employed 2 more people to join the party. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Thomaso

• Adam_the_legend

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A_A wehatethehibs

Raging about this 2x wage thieves whose services are not required. Ann letting personal relationships get in the way of doing what’s best for Hearts, jobs for her boys 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Whatever Budge said or didn't say, this is definitely unusual. Stendel has been hired to work alongside the guy whose job he took who still has the ear of the chairman, and the interim who didn't get the job Stendel just got. Weird situation and DS will need some amount of confidence and assertiveness to deal with it. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Reaction to this is laughable.  All Budge has done is clear up the roles they will be playing and the timescales involved.  

We knew Levein wasn’t leaving and we knew he would have nothing to do with the first team - confirmed.

We knew MacPhee was likely to be retained in a strategic/relationship manager role due to his contacts - confirmed.

Neither of those roles have any impact on Stendel’s ability to get on with doing a good job. Stendel’s boss is Budge, not Levein/MacPhee.  The actual story here is a positive one, confirmation that the DOF role no longer exists and that we’ve removed that unnecessary, underperforming layer of management/influence.  Sporting Director is a brand new role at the club. 

If I’m being honest, I’m more concerned about Fox and Daly still being involved with the first team.

Edited by Gashauskis9

6 hours ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Have mixed gents about this...

I can understand that we invested in the squad in summer, and getting Stendel in would have been costly. So budgets will

be tight!

Paying off more be a step too far for AB at present. And “gardening leave” is always annoying paying someone to watch daytime TV.

CL will be committed to a youth-focused role if that’s his area. And Austin has to prove he’s up to being SD or he’s replaced. 

BUT we need to let DS bring at

least one lieutenant to help him get the new approach across IMO. Possibly Some of our coaches can get on board with this too. Time will tell. 

Great post. 

So the 2 people responsible for the inept displays of the past year are still playing a role at the club. The club they have dragged to the bottom yes the bottom of the league. Wow just wow. 

1 minute ago, HUFF PUFF said:

So the 2 people responsible for the inept displays of the past year are still playing a role at the club. The club they have dragged to the bottom yes the bottom of the league. Wow just wow. 

This. It is unbelievable  they are still here hanging around like a bad smell

4 hours ago, martoon said:

Posted a few weeks back that we'll never be rid of Levein while Budge is in control and I'll stand by that. Even if her stewardship lasts beyond his contract. 

Genuinely concerned that Stendel's stay will be brief. There can't be many coaches, brought into herald a fresh start, who've had to work with the previous incumbent/DoF and his deadbeat backroom staff. 

Short term, temporary, Levein's defenders have cried (aggressively as per) but one day is 24 hours too much.

Stendel will have his own contacts, down south and in Germany, and his own idea of the kind of players he wants. Man City youngsters and NI players may not be for him. Will Budge put his wishes before her precious Levein/MacPhee. I have my doubts. 

What a farce. 

Great post that sums up the concerns of very many Hearts fans.

Gordon Ramsay

We really are a weird football club. 

The man responsible for the mess we are in and his goofy assistant still with a massive role in the club going forward. 

She has no intentions of appointing an external SD. These 2 plonkers were probably the plan all along. 

This is all becoming a bit weird to me. We’ve brought in a new manager who has either chosen or been told he has to (for the time being at least) work with the existing coaches. Hardly the ideal situation.

Along with that the previous manager and interim manager are both remaining at the club. 

So we’ve effectively sacked nobody. 

It’s far from ideal and it’s hardly paranoia to think the players have plenty people to whine and complain to if they’re not keen on the new training regime, new manager in general or the new tactics. Could easily lead to a scenario where Stendel feels isolated. 

The Future's Maroon

As a few have said, the main issue was Levein being responsible for first team duties and tactics. He is no longer in that position, despite a lot of moaning on here she trusts him, despite a lot of moaning on here he has helped rebuild the club from the shambles we were left in (too many forget that imo).

He is basically carrying on with the duties she and the board asked him to do when he was removed as first team coach (as everyone wanted), he was also removed as DoF.

McPhee, is very well respected in the game and will no doubt have major qualities we can utilise at the moment, helping DS settle in, his contacts in the game. Yes, I agree he is not manager material, that was proved during his recent stint in caretaker charge (where he had a chance to prove he did), whether what was all down to him, the lack of confidence in the team or the team simply not ‘wanting’ to play for him I don’t know.

This is a temporary set up u TIL we bring in a new Sporting Director, which Ann has said she has loads of applications to go through. She has spent the last 5/6 weeks trying to get DS in even with major hurdles in the way, but finally got her man. We needed a manager first and foremost and she has done that and got the man we all wanted. Imagine the scenes if she had made a quick appointment of a Derek Adams, Neil McCann or Austin within a week or two or removing Levein, which must have been hard for her, she AND the bird decided to give him the first round of fixtures to see if he could turn it around, he didn’t so she acted.

The headline and opening paragraphs of that article are very misleading, but folk will read it and jump two feet in to have a dig.

We have just got a, potentially, cracking manager in who, as Ann states, plays a completely different style to what we have been used too...it’s what we asked for and we have got it. Unfortunately, some can’t see the bigger picture and just can’t wait to have a pop.

Finally, maybe this decision has a large financial element to it, nobody know how much we are now paying Levein, or how much Stendal and his man are on. We still have to recruit sporting director, possibly pay off current coaching staff. We splashed out a lot of cash to get Naismith to stay, Whelan  won’t have been cheap...a good few others too will be on good money too.

Things have not been good, we all know that, but now is the time to be behind the manager and players.

Edited by The Future's Maroon

highlandjambo3
30 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Reaction to this is laughable.  All Budge has done is clear up the roles they will be playing and the timescales involved.  

We knew Levein wasn’t leaving and we knew he would have nothing to do with the first team - confirmed.

We knew MacPhee was likely to be retained in a strategic/relationship manager role due to his contacts - confirmed.

Neither of those roles have any impact on Stendel’s ability to get on with doing a good job. Stendel’s boss is Budge, not Levein/MacPhee.  The actual story here is a positive one, confirmation that the DOF role no longer exists and that we’ve removed that unnecessary, underperforming layer of management/influence.  Sporting Director is a brand new role at the club. 

If I’m being honest, I’m more concerned about Fox and Daly still being involved with the first team.

I’m here with this......

people screaming farce, shambles....get a grip ffs 

Not sure what all the fuss is about.  She's just reiterating what we already knew Re Leveins role and updating on the SD role.

Its clear that she is protecting us financially and as always, making decisions with her head rather than her heart.  Carry on Ann, you're doing a top job.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

We really are a weird football club. 

The man responsible for the mess we are in and his goofy assistant still with a massive role in the club going forward. 

She has no intentions of appointing an external SD. These 2 plonkers were probably the plan all along. 

I’d go further than that and say that she was probably hoping she could give the head coach’s job to McPhee. Obviously his shiteness made it impossible but I bet she was planning to pull that one if he’d got a few results.

5 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about.  She's just reiterating what we already knew Re Leveins role and updating on the SD role.

Its clear that she is protecting us financially and as always, making decisions with her head rather than her heart.  Carry on Ann, you're doing a top job.

This.

Levein will leave at the end of the season at the conclusion of his current contract.

Its a sound financial decision. 

10 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

So what exactly is Levein's role at the moment ?

Gordon Ramsay
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’d go further than that and say that she was probably hoping she could give the head coach’s job to McPhee. Obviously his shiteness made it impossible but I bet she was planning to pull that one if he’d got a few results.

The sooner she goes the better. 

There's quotes in that article that suggest Levein and MacPhee could continue as joint SD beyond the summer. 

She was planning this all along but people are too thick to realise it. She has absolutely no intentions of appointing an external SD. 

Extremely disappointed with this but not in the least bit surprised. 

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I agree with those who think CL is here as long as AB is. That is a massive error imo, CL has failed continuously and I don’t think he is the right man to take the academy forward or trust the structure of it. 

Whilst McPhee should be nowhere near recruitment. He has been heavily involved, in recruitment, during a period of abject failure around recruitment. 

I also don’t buy that economics meaning they have to stay as they should have less than 6 months on contract to pay off. Retaining failed staff and actively employing them is very unusual in football. They are the club because AB wants no other reason. 

Poor decision and struggle to understand anyone would want this,  Though a lot of the justification is hysterical 😂

I think it’s been proven on this forum that some people will back the clubs decisions right up until the club themselves reverse those decisions. Anybody who thinks it’s a good decision  the 4 main people responsible for our terrible form remain at hearts while our new manager has arrived on his own is deluded.

4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

This.

Levein will leave at the end of the season at the conclusion of his current contract.

Its a sound financial decision. 

Why is it a good financial decision?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

The sooner she goes the better. 

There's quotes in that article that suggest Levein and MacPhee could continue as joint SD beyond the summer. 

She was planning this all along but people are too thick to realise it. She has absolutely no intentions of appointing an external SD. 

Extremely disappointed with this but not in the least bit surprised. 

100%. Completely clueless about football. Stendel appointment doesn’t change that.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, GinRummy said:

:rofl: I know. We’re paying the money one way or the other. Get rid of him.

Let's hope it works.  I am bitterly disappointed and far from confident.  Incredulous that they are still hanging around.

Would vastly prefer that we were pulling out all the stops to bring in his preferred assistants.

I cannot belive that AM is allowed anywhere near the recruitment of players ! She is setting this up nicely, hoping by the New Year / Jan , we are doing well and she can confirm CL back as sporting director due to the sucess so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Daly and Fox are “junior” staff and will pretty much do as Stendel tells them. 

I am more concerned that two men with a strong connection to Budge will be working around Stendel. I get the feeling DS will go apeshit if he senses any interference. 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It saves paying off Levein and then paying someone else to do what he was doing.

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

100%. Completely clueless about football. Stendel appointment doesn’t change that.

So it was more important for you that Levein disappear completely rather than get the manager that the majority of fans wanted?

pettigrewsstylist

Beginning to wonder if the guy who accepts that situation is the guy who gets the gig.

Mcphees kept on for his contacts at Man City?

Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Folk saying read the article and calm down etc are the ones that concern me, I am honestly shocked with some of the comments on here saying it's ok.  This is a disaster waiting to happen, the first run of bad results and we will be back to blaming Levein and Austin.  You trying to tell me the new manager is going to be happy having any discussions with the two failed previous managers?  Get a grip folks.  There is something strange about Budge and Levein, this is then end for her has far as the good faith from the fans, imagine having the chance of a clean break and not taking it?  I am going to get slated on here for this but 100% shows we are a shambles behind the scenes and will continue to be.  SD/DOF whatever it is doesn't need to be some well known footballer, look at The Rangers and Hibs, why we have gone down this route is beyond me.

Just now, Haken said:

Wasn’t Levein going to remain at the club until his contract expired, irrespective?

Yes but the implication was that he'd be locked in a padded cell in a straight jacket at Riccarton .

This seems like he has responded well to the shock therapy and medication and is being let loose.

1 minute ago, Haken said:

Wasn’t Levein going to remain at the club until his contract expired, irrespective?

Yes. That’s what Ann said previously.

Also laughing at the suggestion Ann spent weeks chasing Stendel as a red herring whilst secretly priming MacPhee for the job. :lol:

6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Can we just drop the whole sporting director pish? Shite idea and waste of money.

Aye, terrible idea that gets deployed at every major club in the world and most European clubs have been doing the SD/Head Coach setup for decades. Change isn’t always bad, lad.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Haken said:

So it was more important for you that Levein disappear completely rather than get the manager that the majority of fans wanted?

No, both were very achievable. You can’t use Stendel’s appointment to justify Levein hanging around.

6 minutes ago, fila said:

I cannot belive that AM is allowed anywhere near the recruitment of players ! She is setting this up nicely, hoping by the New Year / Jan , we are doing well and she can confirm CL back as sporting director due to the sucess so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stendel identifies who he wants in January and McPhee goes out and gets them. 

What's the issue?

Austin has done well in the recruiting role in the past. 

It isn't going to be CL or McPhees players we bring in. DS will be well aware of what he signed up to. 

Stop gap till the end of the season and any lump sum saved from not paying these two off just now may just help DS get the players he wants next month. 

Anyway, the real work begins in the summer and CL, if not both of them won't be around then. 

3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

It saves paying off Levein and then paying someone else to do what he was doing.

We seem a little over staffed at the moment. As an example of what might have happened (could Am not do CL’s job) with Craig’s influence be removed from the club altogether. Maybe put on gardening leave.

Would you have been unhappy with this?

2 minutes ago, Haken said:

That’s been obvious from some on here for a while. It’s quite funny when posters accuse some other posters of blindly backing the club, when there are others doing this. 

Hopefully Stendel is interviewed about the scenario soon, and tells us that he would rather this, than do everything himself until his own guys arrive.

10 minutes ago, Haken said:

It’s a bit ridiculous to paint it as an either/or situation.

do you think it’s a good thing that all the previous managers and coaches are still at the club but Stendel has arrived on his own?

can you envisage any problems arising from that?

Howdy Doody Jambo

Who is to say Dan's assistants from Germany will not arrive soon after the new year?

There could be many different reasons for them not being here yet