Budge update on Sporting Director role

Juanjo

1 minute ago, sadj said:

she didn't say he got to discuss it though

Come on.Sadj, that doesn't fit in with the outrage at the fact that he's actually still running the first team and Stendel is just his puppet.  There will be notes coming down from the stands, I tell you.

Notice how those who accuse some of us of paranoia regarding weegie media, BBC, some refs etc., are paranoid when it comes to Ann's decisions, even right after a piece of brilliant exec play regarding Stendel and Barnsley.?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Thomaso

• Adam_the_legend

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Taffin said:

Yeh but I'm not saying there's an issue with that. I'm saying to go from saying "I'd like to do that soon" to "there's no rush, maybe it will happen in the next 6 months" doesn't give off a good impression and invites criticism on herself which by holding her counsel a little more could be avoided. 

I don't have an issue with the above at all. It's pragmatic and sensible.

I honestly get what you're saying. Sometimes I think she should give up on trying to keep fans informed and say nothing But why give in to the eejits?

9 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Two packets of crisps and a tub of Smarties won't hack it.

He's working his notice in an area where he has contributed.

Aye and done wonders there right enough. Another fantasy. So, to quote her .........

“I’ve got Craig looking at certain parts of the operation, largely youth, but a bit more than that.”

wonder what the “bit more than that” is then ?

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I was seething with Anderson's clickbait shite because I knew it'd suck in brain donor cretins like a brand new Dyson.

Now I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing how Levein, by watching some u14 games, is KILLING OUR CLUB (who lest we forget, have died at least 23 times since Budgment Day according to the ****ing brain trust on here. RIP Heartz ur wif da angles now xxx). :laugh:

I hope "ghost" Levein appears on the TV documentary roaming the corridors with a sheet over his head doling out un-asked for advice on tactics and signings.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I’m sorry but there’s something very, very wrong about her commitment to Levein. As for McPhee, as big an imposter as we’ve ever had at Tynecastle.

Some fans will bend over and take this because they’re willing to take anything but if you don’t see a problem with this, you’re either thick or you’re not interested in our success.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Aye and done wonders there right enough. Another fantasy. So, to quote her .........

“I’ve got Craig looking at certain parts of the operation, largely youth, but a bit more than that.”

There's an AGM in a week. Why not ask her if it's that big a deal?

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I hope "ghost" Levein appears on the TV documentary roaming the corridors with a sheet over his head doling out un-asked for advice on tactics and signings.

are  you seriously ok with him still being here ? 
seems like a role is being carved out for him. I may be totally wrong but getting that feeling here.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m sorry but there’s something very, very wrong about her commitment to Levein. As for McPhee, as big an imposter as we’ve ever had at Tynecastle.

Some fans will bend over and take this because they’re willing to take anything but if you don’t see a problem with this, you’re either thick or you’re not interested in our success.

She's said nothing new here. All she's doing is making him work for his money! If that's commitment to you then fair enough.

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

👍🏻

Think about it , she’s not going to sit and say right lads this guys perfect should I replace you two with him? Shes referring to the fact a conversation would need to be had. Its a polite way of saying , if i need to punt them i will

“want to make sure all our decision-making processes are clear and the accountability process is clear for all these functions. Craig will absolutely help me shape that, will he be doing the actual role? What I’m saying is that I want to appoint a sporting director as soon as possible.”

that’s from 4th November 2019. Maybe I’m looking into it a bit much but have we now changed the fact we want a sporting director as soon as possible and will now stick with these 2? That’s the concern I guess. 

I read her statement. Then read it again. And it all seems sensible to me.

Bringing. In a new manager and sports director at the same time is a big upheaval, and paying off all the backroom staff, who have existing commitments and relations etc... would be a big outlay.

DS has a big job on his hands, that I really think gets going preseason. If he gets his coaches in then after assessing things and getting his feet under the desk, then the new SD will have a settled manager.

Another example given why Ann is great for the club.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

seems like a role is being carved out for him. I may be totally wrong but getting that feeling here.

You are wrong. He's been given his jotters and has been assigned some tasks well away from the first team until his contract is up. 

5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Showing new managers and players round the club. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Something tells me that Shan Budge might be worried about compensation levels for Stendel.

Nailed on that Levein and McPhee will be here until the end of the season at least. Budge really is clueless.

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Let's hope you are wrong but there's no point in crying about it currently. The season is a write off anyway. Let Stendel get to grips with the situation and if it turns out he wasn't allowed his assistants or Levein gets some new role at the end of his contract then yeh, sure, by all means kick off about it but there's no point getting bent out of shape over something that might not happen.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You are wrong. He's been given his jotters and has been assigned some tasks well away from the first team until his contract is up. 

hope so 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Let's hope you are wrong but there's no point in crying about it currently. The season is a write off anyway. Let Stendel get to grips with the situation and if it turns out he wasn't allowed his assistants or Levein gets some new role at the end of his contract then yeh, sure, by all means kick off about it but there's no point getting bent out of shape over something that might not happen.

fair enough

12 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I was seething with Anderson's clickbait shite because I knew it'd suck in brain donor cretins like a brand new Dyson.

Now I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing how Levein, by watching some u14 games, is KILLING OUR CLUB (who lest we forget, have died at least 23 times since Budgment Day according to the ****ing brain trust on here. RIP Heartz ur wif da angles now xxx). :laugh:

If Levein doesn’t turn up to work wearing a bedsheet over his heid like a kids’ Halloween party ghost, I’ll be devastated.

77ABC77C-C3E7-4827-955A-1B20B3AB4E3E.jpeg

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Ernie Eskilsson

Am very disappointed with this. Levein and McPhee continue to focus on youth and recruitment both of which have been absolutely horrendous. Ann’s loyalty to them is harming the club. If they’ve got to be around they should be charged with offloading all the crap they’ve brought in rather than encouraged to do more damage.

34 minutes ago, The Merse said:

I don’t care who either report to - neither merits a role at this club a minute longer.

So if Budge came out and said we’ll sack Levein & McPhee and appoint a new Sporting Director but in doing so we have no money to wheel & deal in January for the new manager. Would you be happy with that?

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

If Levein doesn’t turn up to work wearing a bedsheet over his heid like a kids’ Halloween party ghost, I’ll be devastated.

77ABC77C-C3E7-4827-955A-1B20B3AB4E3E.jpeg

Grigori Rasputin might be more appropriate given the way some folk think of him :lol:

rasputin.jpeg

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Grigori Rasputin might be more appropriate given the way some folk think of him :lol:

rasputin.jpeg

:lol:

Well why not. We’ve already had the Romanovs. 

Split the difference. How about he turns up dressed as the ghost of Rasputin?

58 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Shit for brains Hearts fans howling at the moon because they can't read past a clickbait headline. Plus ca change.

This should be the new thread title to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

:lol:

Well why not. We’ve already had the Romanovs. 

Split the difference. How about he turns up dressed as the ghost of Rasputin?

Lol 

Dr B appears to be making this up as she goes along.

I’d love to see the “football department” org chart. :lol:

I don’t think this is wise at all. Daniel is supposed to be a new broom that brings a new approach. In fact he is ending up as an isolated figure surrounded by the piss poor coaching staff that have brought us to this pass in the first place. 
I used to think that the talk of Ann being suckered by Craig Levein was fanciful. Now, I am not sure. 
We’re basically back to the place where we were when Cathro was in charge. This could all end the same way.

It’s not difficult to comprehend; Budge wants a Sporting Director who will deal with youth development, recruitment, analysis and stats. Until she finds one person for that role she’s got Levein doing part of it (like he already was) and MacPhee doing the other part (like he was). Budge has also stated that at least one will be let go if a new SD comes in as three taking on the roles is a bloated management structure.

My guess is with Stendel’s wages, the potential wages of his new staff, any potential fee to Barnsley and the short time until the January window that no SD will be hired until the contracts of MacPhee and Levein run down. And then my guess is MacPhee will get it and Levein will go into semi-retirement if not full retirement in football.

What’s happening makes sense since Stendel won’t really know what he wants done with the squad properly for a few months so the summer window will be when he really knows what he wants. Until then, with no major changes to personell on the pitch to be expected it doesn’t make monetary sense to pay redundancy packages and more wages on other folk until necessary. I personally would like a new SD who has time before the summer window, but I understand why that wouldn’t happen. Anyone not realising this is nothing to worry about (Levein was half decent in previous off the field role) and overreacting need to calm themselves down.

Ernie Eskilsson
44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh but I'm not saying there's an issue with that. I'm saying to go from saying "I'd like to do that soon" to "there's no rush, maybe it will happen in the next 6 months" doesn't give off a good impression and invites criticism on herself which by holding her counsel a little more could be avoided. 

I don't have an issue with the above at all. It's pragmatic and sensible.

Not quite. She says she’s looking and will make a change IF she finds someone. She says that either or both of Levein and McPhee might continue longer term. To me this sounds like her breaking it gently, on the back of the Stendel euphoria, that she has no intention of getting rid of them.

J.T.F.Robertson
40 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Tee hee.

Me? I couldn't give much of a toss. :smoking:

50 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

Can people please read the article before getting themselves in a state over this. Clickbait headline.

We have made the main change and Levein will be gone forever end of the season. That will do me.

Wishful thinking jb. Nomatter what, like The Pieman he'll be sitting in the Director's Box and getting free hospitality for life. I don't agree with this but was told that it's a convention that ex directors are treated in this manner. Wonder if this policy will continue when the fans own the club??

PS Has anyone heard anything said about "Teflon" John Murray's future?

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

Great to know MacPhee will still be doing recruitment and stats. It's worked out great so far.

This is also the part i don't like.

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

Until new year

Yeah, temporary (and it would be better for the club, imo, if it stays that way).

Edited by redjambo

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Not quite. She says she’s looking and will make a change IF she finds someone. She says that either or both of Levein and McPhee might continue longer term. To me this sounds like her breaking it gently, on the back of the Stendel euphoria, that she has no intention of getting rid of them.

I hope not, she did say if she found someone she would need to talk to both of them as it would be a bloated managerial structure. She also said we have far too many players, money will need to be apportioned to paying off people (CL/Coaches/players) and recruiting new SD/coaches/players and possible legal fees. Clear as mud really. As long as Stendel gets what he wants and is happy then that’s all that matters really.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Wishful thinking jb. Nomatter what, like The Pieman he'll be sitting in the Director's Box and getting free hospitality for life. I don't agree with this but was told that it's a convention that ex directors are treated in this manner. Wonder if this policy will continue when the fans own the club??

PS Has anyone heard anything said about "Teflon" John Murray's future?

The free loader Foulkes enjoys that benefit too. Let’s hope that changes.

Murray will surely have his head down or be hiding in a cupboard somewhere.

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Il be concerned if stendels men are not in, in a few weeks "  and results havnt improved any,,  I think we need to get off to a flyer " 

36 minutes ago, S Form said:

I don’t think this is wise at all. Daniel is supposed to be a new broom that brings a new approach. In fact he is ending up as an isolated figure surrounded by the piss poor coaching staff that have brought us to this pass in the first place. 
I used to think that the talk of Ann being suckered by Craig Levein was fanciful. Now, I am not sure. 
We’re basically back to the place where we were when Cathro was in charge. This could all end the same way.

Let's hope stendel gets his 2 men in asap,,so theres no excuses, about the old  faces being in the road  !!

Jamboscanbevicius

Have mixed gents about this...

I can understand that we invested in the squad in summer, and getting Stendel in would have been costly. So budgets will

be tight!

Paying off more be a step too far for AB at present. And “gardening leave” is always annoying paying someone to watch daytime TV.

CL will be committed to a youth-focused role if that’s his area. And Austin has to prove he’s up to being SD or he’s replaced. 

BUT we need to let DS bring at

least one lieutenant to help him get the new approach across IMO. Possibly Some of our coaches can get on board with this too. Time will tell. 

She just can't let go.  This has taken the gloss off Stendel's appointment for me.  If we get good performances and results over the next few weeks, I worry that she will make them joint SDs on a permanent basis.

For me, that means rewarding the very people who got us into this mess.

Just now, Kiwidoug said:

She just can't let go.  This has taken the gloss off Stendel's appointment for me.  If we get good performances and results over the next few weeks, I worry that she will make them joint SDs on a permanent basis.

For me, that means rewarding the very people who got us into this mess.

59 minutes ago, S Form said:

Agree with both of the above. I really struggle to see how Levein having any influence at all in the football department structure is in anyway positive.

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

The Levein/MacPhee dream team handling the January window. 

:seething:

Handling but not necessarily identifying.  DS seems happy enough with what's going on so my guess is that he has insisted in having a say in who will be SD and that person may not be available until January.  This insistence might have been a stumbling block in negotiations with him which could partially explain why it took so long to hire him.

Have faith.

Until the role is better defined we cannot really comment on just what is required from a new face

In the meantime there is work to be done and we have staff we are paying.

Craig and Austin will have it seems clearly defined roles in the immediate future giving time for us to look more closely at candidates and the job we actually want them to fulfill

There will be movement in and out this window and we will need people to tell some the bad news your out and someone to help the manager sign those he wants at a price we can afford....I think Craig will be the bearer of bad news to some and Austin will welcome them in just so it does not spill over into the staff being kept on at least intially

I can see Craig contacting clubs re availabilty to get them off our wage bill and there could be a few this window

I honestly think the new manager wants a look around the club before making any final decisions re staff and I think he will bring in his own but that may not be straight away as his 'men' are not familiar with the Scottish game and clubs,  with few or no contacts to draw on...with the window upon is I do think we need people with some knowledge in the short term.

As we move on after the window thats where we will see more changes behind the scenes with staff out and in including the departure of Craig and Austin unless the manager thinks otherwise but remember he is tasked with the first team squad not all of the various departments. He may have a voice in the running but not the final say.

He has no idea re the academy for example and would need time to even meet all the staff , judge them and make decisions on their futures.....and all that for a department he will not be tasked with running

This appointment is no quick fix and is the start of a new direction for the club ...some of the old roles fulfilled will no longer be required or will be moved to others who will take the reponsibilty on that was once someone else's

Craig and Austin are contracted until the summer of 2020 so lets use them at least for the next few months to give the new man support..(unless he in time thinks it's not working) and our owner has already stated there may be a time when that happens and she will have conversations with Craig and Austin

There is a short term and when that is over I'm pretty sure more radical changes will take place but for now can we just let them get on with it.

2 hours ago, Never Let Them Forget said:

Sensible decision. It’s all about stability just now and too many changes would be too risky.

I actually agree,  as long as they both are kept away from the first and reserves!! 

The key in the short term is that Stendel gets what he wants and feels he's adequately supported. I would assume we will bring in at least one assistant shortly. 

I am very much in the cleanse the club frame of mind, however I won't get worked up over this just yet. As has been said there's the practicalities and cost involved in putting another fairly large wage in a new SD right now with Levein and Mcphee still here. The priority should be Stendel, his coaching staff and supporting the January window. 

If we get to February and there's no indication of the role of the SD and or an appointment then I'll start to get concerned. 

Posted a few weeks back that we'll never be rid of Levein while Budge is in control and I'll stand by that. Even if her stewardship lasts beyond his contract. 

Genuinely concerned that Stendel's stay will be brief. There can't be many coaches, brought into herald a fresh start, who've had to work with the previous incumbent/DoF and his deadbeat backroom staff. 

Short term, temporary, Levein's defenders have cried (aggressively as per) but one day is 24 hours too much.

Stendel will have his own contacts, down south and in Germany, and his own idea of the kind of players he wants. Man City youngsters and NI players may not be for him. Will Budge put his wishes before her precious Levein/MacPhee. I have my doubts. 

What a farce. 

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

A few folk have said that JJ made a comment about this, can someone post what he said?

Thanks

It wasn't so much what he said rather that he'd just listened to McCall uttering total drivel, but didn't call him on it. Quite surprised me as McCall and McFadden's chat really was off the charts. 

Having said that, JJ has had his health issues and is beyond reproach as far as I'm concerned so no real complaints.  

4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Something tells me that Shan Budge might be worried about compensation levels for Stendel.

Nailed on that Levein and McPhee will be here until the end of the season at least. Budge really is clueless.

Got to be said this is an absolute shocker to keep those 2 on.

What a thoroughly toxic situation. How unhealthy this debacle has now become as we are forced to continue with these losers.  There is something so so wrong about Ann's desperation to involve these men.

Wake up people for the love of ****. Wake up. This will undermine the new manager and all he tries to do. This ****ing stinks.

Spoiler

Edited by i8hibsh